What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mitch calls bill to allow easier voting "Power Grab" (1 Viewer)

The General

Footballguy
Making voting easier is a "power grab"

NYT Summary with a bit more info

Anyone care to take his side on this?

Quick Summary:

Voters could register in person on the day of an election, an option that is currently offered in only 18 states and the District of Columbia, and could cast ballots in federal elections during an early-voting period, which all but 11 states already allow. Permitting same-day registration could increase voter turnout by three percentage points, the equivalent of about 3.8 million additional voters in the 2016 presidential election, according to studies. The bill would also allow automatic registration for eligible people.

The legislation proposes making Election Day, the first Tuesday in November, a public holiday just like Washington’s Birthday, Independence Day and Christmas.

The broad legislation from Democrats also targets hot-button issues surrounding voter suppression and the fairness of elections. To combat gerrymandering, the bill would strip the power to set congressional boundaries from state legislatures, 30 of which are controlled by Republicans, and hand it over to new independent commissions. And to try to counteract the influence of money in politics, the bill would move toward public financing of elections.

Last edited by a moderator:
He essentially admitted he is all for voter suppression.

Between Garland, not bringing legislation to the floor that could have ended the #### down, this, amd first thing brought up after the shutdown was about estate tax stuff...who can defend him?

Between Garland, not bringing legislation to the floor that could have ended the #### down, this, amd first thing brought up after the shutdown was about estate tax stuff...who can defend him?
I honestly want a conservative to explain what he said here any other way. 

The Koch brothers?

"They want everybody to vote. I don't want everybody to vote. Elections are not won by a majority of people, they never have been from the beginning of our country and they are not now. As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down." - Paul Weyrich, conservative political activist and commentator, Heritage Foundation

I can.

Because in addition to all this crap (and that’s what it is)he also stood against Trump today for internationalism, condemning the President for his decisions in Afghanistan and Syria and general isolationist policy. 

Does this make up for all the other stuff? Probably not. But I was glad to hear it. 

I’m not sure we need a new federal holiday.  Columbus Day should be nixed and then moved to and made Election Day.    I don’t know if I care all that much one way or the other; there’s early voting now and absentee ballots, it’s really not that hard to vote if you want to. 

Either I missed it or was missing, but the NYT article skipped the week off for fed bureaucrats.  I don’t understand the purpose behind such a proposal?  Until a better explanation of it, I think I’d have to oppose that initially.

I float in and out of voter ID talks, is the idea of a state issued ID (for free from the state) something that is agreeable to both sides?  I’ll admit to liking the perception of voting integrity by way of IDs, but agree the burden of such should be born by the state.  Let’s be honest, any professed love of American greatness must be centered around a love for encouragement of voting; our method of governance depends on it.  In general, though, I’m all for measures that get people voting.  

I’m not sure we need a new federal holiday.  Columbus Day should be nixed and then moved to and made Election Day.    I don’t know if I care all that much one way or the other; there’s early voting now and absentee ballots, it’s really not that hard to vote if you want to. 

Either I missed it or was missing, but the NYT article skipped the week off for fed bureaucrats.  I don’t understand the purpose behind such a proposal?  Until a better explanation of it, I think I’d have to oppose that initially.

I float in and out of voter ID talks, is the idea of a state issued ID (for free from the state) something that is agreeable to both sides?  I’ll admit to liking the perception of voting integrity by way of IDs, but agree the burden of such should be born by the state.  Let’s be honest, any professed love of American greatness must be centered around a love for encouragement of voting; our method of governance depends on it.  In general, though, I’m all for measures that get people voting.  
Regarding the holiday. This is a big concern? 

Congress works like 150 days a year, pretty rich of Mitchell to bring this up.

The damage he has done, the damage he will continue to do, and the damage that Republicans defend will be felt past my death. I am hopeful to live for another 50+ years but anyone that can defend Turtle Boy on ANY decision he has ever made, I will laugh at them and not care. What a buffoon and detriment to our nation he is. May he be remembered for the brown stain he has streaked across our Constitution. How any Republican can support him is beyond comprehension.

Someone will say "hold my beer" to this. 

I'm open to some reasoning here. Usually can see on where there is a line of thinking. Not on this.
The line of thinking is pretty straightforward, IMO.  They think they know better than the masses and they don't care or want a majority rule.  It's really not that much different than what we do with our children.  "I know what's best so I don't care what you and your siblings 'vote for'."   They want to treat the masses like children.  On top of that, they are frequently wrong on what is best or they don't even care what is best for most but want things to be the way they think it should be.

Add all of that up and it's easy to see why they wouldn't support making it easy for everyone to vote.  Here's the thing though - if you were 100% convinced that you were right about something and everyone else was wrong it's not that far fetched that you would try and tip the scale - not saying YOU would, but the average person probably would because they think they are right.  It's not an easy thing for many people to acknowledge that despite what they think that others should have the ability to outvote them.

One big thing you're missing is that they're beholden to their corporate donors. They are doing what their corporate donors want, not what the people want.

It's not about right and wrong.  It's about money.  Plain and simple.
Good point but I think it's about money for the leaders - for the masses its more about what they think is right and wrong and how they know best.

Making voting easier is a "power grab"

NYT Summary with a bit more info

Anyone care to take his side on this?

Quick Summary:

Voters could register in person on the day of an election, an option that is currently offered in only 18 states and the District of Columbia, and could cast ballots in federal elections during an early-voting period, which all but 11 states already allow. Permitting same-day registration could increase voter turnout by three percentage points, the equivalent of about 3.8 million additional voters in the 2016 presidential election, according to studies. The bill would also allow automatic registration for eligible people.

The legislation proposes making Election Day, the first Tuesday in November, a public holiday just like Washington’s Birthday, Independence Day and Christmas.

The broad legislation from Democrats also targets hot-button issues surrounding voter suppression and the fairness of elections. To combat gerrymandering, the bill would strip the power to set congressional boundaries from state legislatures, 30 of which are controlled by Republicans, and hand it over to new independent commissions. And to try to counteract the influence of money in politics, the bill would move toward public financing of elections.
I didnt watch the video in that first link. The comments of his seem to focus solely on the national holiday for federal workers according to the text.

I dont think it is unreasonable to assume that he would be against the other parts too, but did he say that? 

One big thing you're missing is that they're beholden to their corporate donors. They are doing what their corporate donors want, not what the people want.

It's not about right and wrong.  It's about money.  Plain and simple.
What I am waiting for was a supporter of what currently makes up the Republican party to tell me why they support Mitch here. Why they would not want this bill to be passed.

One poster, not sure where they stand politically, was concerned about having another Federal holiday added. That's it so far.

I think they should have passed a lot of those measures one by one. Easier to take the whole package and villify it than it is to explain each measure you're against. 

What I am waiting for was a supporter of what currently makes up the Republican party to tell me why they support Mitch here. Why they would not want this bill to be passed.

One poster, not sure where they stand politically, was concerned about having another Federal holiday added. That's it so far.
if it pisses off libs its a good thing. 

Also too.....THEM!

I didnt watch the video in that first link. The comments of his seem to focus solely on the national holiday for federal workers according to the text.

I dont think it is unreasonable to assume that he would be against the other parts too, but did he say that? 
From what I understand many of the provisions in this bill have been opposed by Republican Senators. This had a bit of info.

Yeah, I obviously missed that.  Carry on.

I don't think it needs to be a national holiday and should be on Saturday and Sunday, making it Election Weekend.

I'm not sure on this making voting a holiday thing. Part of me thinks it might be a good idea, part of me thinks not so good.

"too busy to vote" is a lie, pure and simple. If voting means THAT little to you , that you can't make the effort to vote, then that's your choice but don't blame it on anything else.

I don't like same day registering though - too easy to cheat I think and Democrats are big on having secure elections from Russians right?

That bill has 571 pages based on your link. It proposes changing things that have been heavily debated between republicans and democrats for years. You are presenting it as if this is only a voter suppression debate. 

You might as well have changed the title to "Democrats, come in here and be democrats."

That bill has 571 pages based on your link. It proposes changing things that have been heavily debated between republicans and democrats for years. You are presenting it as if this is only a voter suppression debate. 

You might as well have changed the title to "Democrats, come in here and be democrats."
This is good, thank you. I assume the Dems would pass everything in this as it's written.

What are some of the things in it that would be considered power grabs that would only benefit Democrats?

I'm not sure on this making voting a holiday thing. Part of me thinks it might be a good idea, part of me thinks not so good.

"too busy to vote" is a lie, pure and simple. If voting means THAT little to you , that you can't make the effort to vote, then that's your choice but don't blame it on anything else.

I don't like same day registering though - too easy to cheat I think and Democrats are big on having secure elections from Russians right?
Just because its easy for you does not mean its easy for everyone.  Especially not when things like this are happening:

Access to the ballot box has become a contentious issue in the 2018 midterm election cycle. Georgia authorities were forced to backtrack this year from a plan to close all but two polling locations in a majority-black county. Authorities in majority-Latino Dodge City, Kan., announced they would be offering free bus rides to the sole polling place for the city of 28,000 after public outcry over a decision to move the voting site outside the city limits, a mile from the nearest public transit stop.

Who knows why people can't vote after work on a Tuesday. Why make it harder?

Can't I get an ID same day, a credit card, book travel, do any number of things day of. Why not vote?

I am sure there are thousands of examples you can point to in the 18 states that currently offer same day voter registration?
I don't like it, State or Federal level. Sorry, I don't

Just because its easy for you does not mean its easy for everyone.
this is true - and the people in places that have more difficulty finding voting places needs to do something about it. However, with extended early voting in most states, what's the real excuses behind "not having enough time to vote" ?

I mean we make time for facebook, Dr Phil, Family Feud, Survivor, Saturday football and Sunday NFL but don't have "time" to vote right ?

this is true - and the people in places that have more difficulty finding voting places needs to do something about it. However, with extended early voting in most states, what's the real excuses behind "not having enough time to vote" ?

I mean we make time for facebook, Dr Phil, Family Feud, Survivor, Saturday football and Sunday NFL but don't have "time" to vote right ?
How about we just stop putting up barriers for people to vote?  Its our right to vote - we need to stop making it harder.  And again with the mentality that "I can do it, so can you" needs to stop.

Do any of our Republicans here ever worry about the long term strategic effects of being opposed to making voting easier? You may squash some opposition now but in the eyes of the electorate, your party becomes the one opposed to greater participation in the democratic processes. Things like this are why minorities won't vote for you now. This appears to be not only the wrong thing to do but also the worse strategy in the long run.

Wouldn't you want as many people to vote as possible? 

Who knows why people can't vote after work on a Tuesday. Why make it harder?

Can't I get an ID same day, a credit card, book travel, do any number of things day of. Why not vote?
early vote if Tuesday is going to be an issue

I do think we could make voting easier though, I do agree with that. Voting is a very important thing, you can't get a lot of licenses and registrations same day - Passport is a good example. I don't think registering to vote should be an act of God to get done but it shouldn't be walking in and voting without anyone checking either.

How about we just stop putting up barriers for people to vote?  Its our right to vote - we need to stop making it harder.  And again with the mentality that "I can do it, so can you" needs to stop.
do you look at all the things needed to get drivers licenses as barriers? to get a concealed weapons permit as barriers? to get a permit to have a rally to express your freedom of speech as barrier ? to get married the licenses needed, are those barriers?

Wouldn't you want as many people to vote as possible? 
voting is a choice - I don't think we should force people to vote

yes, I think everyone should vote - I wish we had 95% voter turnout. Its not for lack of knowing that voting day is coming and what needs done though - people choose not to vote

that's their choice

do you look at all the things needed to get drivers licenses as barriers? to get a concealed weapons permit as barriers? to get a permit to have a rally to express your freedom of speech as barrier ? to get married the licenses needed, are those barriers?
You're ok with closing polls in predominately minority (read: democratic) neighborhoods?  Restricting absentee and early voting?  Moving the polls a mile away from a bus stop after public transportation is organized?

Why do you equate voting with concealed carry of a weapon?  Voting is a RIGHT, concealed carry is not.  A driver's license is not a RIGHT.  No one's talking about "license" to vote.  This is about making the democratic process easier for all, not just white middle class suburbia where voting is pretty easy.

voting is a choice - I don't think we should force people to vote

yes, I think everyone should vote - I wish we had 95% voter turnout. Its not for lack of knowing that voting day is coming and what needs done though - people choose not to vote

that's their choice
What about getting more people to vote is a power grab?

yes, I think everyone should vote - I wish we had 95% voter turnout. 
I don't.  Most voters are incompetent, and I think some measures that gently screen them out are good overall.  I'm thinking in particular of things like registration requirements, ID requirements, elections on weekdays, etc.  All of those at least require some measure of forethought and intentionality before somebody shows up to vote.   

I don't.  Most voters are incompetent, and I think some measures that gently screen them out are good overall.  I'm thinking in particular of things like registration requirements, ID requirements, elections on weekdays, etc.  All of those at least require some measure of forethought and intentionality before somebody shows up to vote.   
Those don't really screen based on competence though. They screen based on motivation. As we saw in 2016 there are plenty of motivated incompetents.

Users who are viewing this thread