What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

VA Gov. Ralph Northam Yearbook Photo - LG and AG Scandals Too (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Footballguy
Posted this in the late term abortion thread, but probably worth a separate thread (since that thread started based on Northam's comments, but not really a Northam/VA politics thread).

Va. Gov. Northam’s medical school yearbook page shows men in blackface, KKK robe

I'm not sure how survives it.  Unless he has a really, really, really, REALLY good story, I think he's got 48 hours to vacate the premises.

I'm not sure how that has been missed in all his campaigns, going back to Lt. Gov and Gov.  How do all of these opposition researchers miss that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted this in the late term abortion thread, but probably worth a separate thread (since that thread started based on Northam's comments, but not really a Northam/VA politics thread).

Va. Gov. Northam’s medical school yearbook page shows men in blackface, KKK robe

I'm not sure how survives it.  Unless he has a really, really, really, REALLY good story, I think he's got 48 hours to vacate the premises.

I'm not sure how that has been missed in all his campaigns, going back to Lt. Gov and Gov.  How does all of these opposition researchers miss that?
That was my thought too. How did this not come up? This was not back in the 40's or 50's, but the 80's. Come on man.

He needs to be gone now 

I think this will blow over.  

That said, which one do you think he’d rather be - politically speaking?

I don't think it will blow over that easily.  The reaction from every Democrat that I know (including myself) has been that he needs to resign immediately.  And it's not like Republicans are going to stick up for him.  I don't think he will have any supporters to fall back on.

....I'm not touching that question with a 10 foot pole, but good luck to anyone who wants to try.

I don't think it will blow over that easily.  The reaction from every Democrat that I know (including myself) has been that he needs to resign immediately.  And it's not like Republicans are going to stick up for him.  I don't think he will have any supporters to fall back on.

....I'm not touching that question with a 10 foot pole, but good luck to anyone who wants to try.
Gotta think black face is better.....

1984 yearbook, but unknown if that’s when the picture is from.  But it’s early 80s no matter what.  Also, he had to pick that to be his picture, right?  So not only does the picture exist, he then picked it to represent him in the yearbook.

Florida Secretary of State resigned over blackface costume, just a month ago.  And blackface seems to be the better option of the two choices.....

He's got a better chance of surviving this if he was the black guy, because he can spin it as a genuine tribute to [insert black celebrity from the '80s] and that blackface wasn't quite as taboo in 1984 as it is today.

He's got a better chance of surviving this if he was the black guy, because he can spin it as a genuine tribute to [insert black celebrity from the '80s] and that blackface wasn't quite as taboo in 1984 as it is today.
Protesting White Men Can't Jump IMO. 

Maybe he spins this to say he was bringing attention to Black History Month?

It was 1984.
And?  34 years ago it was a different world . One in which you could apparently dress up like you were in the klan and get your photo in the yearbook. 

35 years ago people did a lot of things that are socially unacceptable now.  At some point do people have a chance to grow, move on, and change with the times?

I’m much more offended at the comments he made a few days ago.  

This was my initial thought, but I am now seeing reports that Northram had a nickname synonymous with a racial slur....given that context, I am not so sure
Read that too, coincidently from another yearbook.  Real bad week for this guy.

He went to full nosedive quick!

He needs to go. Also fun to watch the "Trump is racist!" guys shrug it off, good ole PSF!
Just like the Trump apartment rental thing from the 1970’s doesn’t prove Trump is racist, this doesn’t prove Northam is racist.

People that once were racists can change.  If nothing else comes out about Northam, he can claim he was a dumb young person  raised in an environment where a joke like that was funny and he lacked perspective.  

The primary reason many people feel trump os racist is based on his policies today.  

So it’s not really a fair comparison, unless one can provide proof that the governor is still a racist 

Just like the Trump apartment rental thing from the 1970’s doesn’t prove Trump is racist, this doesn’t prove Northam is racist.

People that once were racists can change.  If nothing else comes out about Northam, he can claim he was a dumb young person  raised in an environment where a joke like that was funny and he lacked perspective.  

The primary reason many people feel trump os racist is based on his policies today.  

So it’s not really a fair comparison, unless one can provide proof that the governor is still a racist 
Sure people can change, but no way this is acceptable in today's society and what the norms are now.......he is beyond done. 

Remember last week when this costume lead to resignation? Northam with his KKK gig said hold my beer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/01/24/florida-secretary-state-resigns-over-blackface-photos/?utm_term=.cde7925e56a3

By the way, those little stick on tattoos were a thing when I was in grade school... the ones where you wet the backside of the paper and the sticker thing adheres to your skin. And when we didn’t have those, we used markers on paper, and essentially did the same thing. 

In 3rd grade (1980?), I made a nazi swastika symbol and “tattooed” it on my arm. My mother tore me a new ####### when I got home and she saw that thing. It wasn’t until then that I understood what a horrible idea that was. Of course I was 8 or 9 years old, and I wasn’t in medical school yet. 

Got a lot of friends here in VA who are doing so (just not here).  They point to Trump, too.
I can see how people would ask for forgiveness of past transgressions. I would assume that Northram is not out there saying “both sides” and whatnot. 

I also think this guy is done. But I can understand others defending him. 

Users who are viewing this thread