What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeep Super Bowl Ad - Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

My thought is that as usual a giant corporation will pull nationalistic heart strings to make a buck and that this commercial is a far disconnect from reality. I did not see any poverty or homeless people in the commercial.

It will be a very successful commercial for them.

I thought it was wonderful. 

I don’t think it was nationalist. I thought it was patriotic. I’m patriotic. I don’t like nationalism.

I loved it. 

My thought is that as usual a giant corporation will pull nationalistic heart strings to make a buck and that this commercial is a far disconnect from reality. I did not see any poverty or homeless people in the commercial.

It will be a very successful commercial for them.
I watched it twice. Thought it was excellent. 

Poverty and homelessness is not always someone disheveled and dirty. That's just one end of the spectrum. Based on stats, I would venture to guess that a few of the people in the add are living at or below the poverty line.

I watched it twice. Thought it was excellent. 

Poverty and homelessness is not always someone disheveled and dirty. That's just one end of the spectrum. Based on stats, I would venture to guess that a few of the people in the add are living at or below the poverty line.
While possibly true, the commercial does simply not at all resonate with my American experience, still waiting for the good honest American people to show up. So to me it's just a commercial to make a dollar nothing more.

Poverty and homelessness is not always someone disheveled and dirty. That's just one end of the spectrum.
Poverty and homelessness are two of the many problems that this country has. But they don’t define us. The things that make this country great (not again but now and always) define us, and I thought the ad did a good job of showing some of them. 

Poverty and homelessness are two of the many problems that this country has. But they don’t define us. The things that make this country great (not again but now and always) define us, and I thought the ad did a good job of showing some of them. 
I agree. I liked the commercial. 

I was just pointing out that we overlook poverty and homelessness if it's not portrayed by the stereotypical image. 

Remove the Jeep logo, and this commercial would be a terrific ad for Kamela Harris. It matches exactly the tone of the  kickoff speech to her campaign. 

What am I missing here? Seems like your typical patriotic Super Bowl commercial? 
It’s just a refreshing ad. After two years of having so much negativity and divisiveness thrown at us constantly (mainly from our President) it’s nice to have an ad that reminds us what a wonderful country we live in. 

The commercial was disappointing. America is more than that. Of the accomplishments in the commercial, too many white people were shown. Where are the ethnic families supporting their kids? Where is the diversity that is America? I didn't see it in the commercial.

I am saying this as a white guy as well.

Is this meant to be an ad for the deaf?

I'm only half kidding.  It starts out with sign language, then imagery to follow along with where the commercial is in the anthem.  Most Americans don't need the imagery to know the words. I was singing along in my head the whole time.  And until the end, the imagery wasn't particularly powerful.  It was much more literal than thought-provoking.

What makes a country "great" is how the country treats the most troubled. We do a horrible job in that regard. The commercial did not show "America."

Do you think it shows what people have or what people want?
It doesn't show reality and, unfortunately, many people cannot relate to the "reality" that is shown in the commercial. I would almost liken it to the holiday commercials of a big red bow on a Lexus. This ad does not resonate with or for America.

Most ads will use “feel good” images to get you to buy the products.  The exception is when they want your charitable donation. I would say political parties are closer to the 2nd category
Who is this ad speaking to? To me, the ad is not "speaking" to America. It is speaking to a certain subset in America and it does it well, but most of America is going to dismiss this ad as nothing more than a bow on a car.

My guess is it is designed to speaks to people who have money to spend on a Jeep.
Sure, and watching the ad, it does well to speak to a subset of Americans with money. However, using the Star Spangled Banner to assist in that message, does a disservice to the meaning of that poem. Like I stated above, most of America will dismiss this commercial as nothing more than what it is, a commercial made for white people with money.

What makes a country "great" is how the country treats the most troubled. We do a horrible job in that regard. The commercial did not show "America."
I respectfully disagree with your premise. 

The United States of America, despite all of its faults, is the greatest nation that has ever existed in the history of human civilization. There are 3 essential reasons for this: 

1. First, because unlike almost any other nation, we are made up of no particular race or ethnicity. We are made up of people from everywhere else. We welcome people from everywhere else. We encourage refugees and the downtrodden to come here. The wider our door is open, the greater we are. 

2. Second, because we strive to be a place where everyone has the economic opportunity to be successful. We’re not able to do this all of the time; racism, cultural and economic inequality at a basic level has always barred the way for some. Yet overall we have been able to do it, and so long as we cling to the ideal and try to achieve it we will be great. 

3. Third, and most important: we are not only a free people but we are the leaders of world freedom. We fought a bloody war to free our own slaves. Twice we liberated Europe from tyranny and the second time we destroyed Nazi Germany and the evil that was nationalist Japan. Then we fought off the evil of world Communism with the Marshall Plan, NATO, and the Berlin Airlift, we held the Soviet Union at Bay. Today we still lead the world in the fight against internationalism terrorism and for the most part against dictatorships. We stand for truth and justice and freedom and all that is good in human society. 

I believe these things. I’m not proud to be an American because I was lucky enough to be born here. I’m proud because of our ideals. 

I respectfully disagree with your premise. 

The United States of America, despite all of its faults, is the greatest nation that has ever existed in the history of human civilization. There are 3 essential reasons for this: 

1. First, because unlike almost any other nation, we are made up of no particular race or ethnicity. We are made up of people from everywhere else. We welcome people from everywhere else. We encourage refugees and the downtrodden to come here. The wider our door is open, the greater we are. 

2. Second, because we strive to be a place where everyone has the economic opportunity to be successful. We’re not able to do this all of the time; racism, cultural and economic inequality at a basic level has always barred the way for some. Yet overall we have been able to do it, and so long as we cling to the ideal and try to achieve it we will be great. 

3. Third, and most important: we are not only a free people but we are the leaders of world freedom. We fought a bloody war to free our own slaves. Twice we liberated Europe from tyranny and the second time we destroyed Nazi Germany and the evil that was nationalist Japan. Then we fought off the evil of world Communism with the Marshall Plan, NATO, and the Berlin Airlift, we held the Soviet Union at Bay. Today we still lead the world in the fight against internationalism terrorism and for the most part against dictatorships. We stand for truth and justice and freedom and all that is good in human society. 

I believe these things. I’m not proud to be an American because I was lucky enough to be born here. I’m proud because of our ideals. 
1. You seem to have a very skewed view of "no particular race or ethnicity." Your statement of number 1 does not bode well for you, imo.

2. An ideal is an ideal. An ideal is not reality. And, the reality is far away from an ideal you may have.

3. We are far from the "leaders of world freedom." We liberated Europe from tyranny, yet we cannot or refuse to fight against our own tyranny in our back yard. "We stand for truth and justice and freedom" again those are ideals that definitely do not encompass America.

You can believe your statements much like I can believe the Earth is flat, but facts tell a much different story.

I don't know what you're looking for here, but you're not going to find it with me.
Sorry replied to wrong post.  Sounds to me commercials should be banned in general in your parallel universe.
Me: I don't like using patriotism to sell stuff

You: Sounds to me like all commercials should be banned in your parallel universe

:confused:

Is this the part where I completely make up stuff I think that you think?

The commercial was disappointing. America is more than that. Of the accomplishments in the commercial, too many white people were shown. Where are the ethnic families supporting their kids? Where is the diversity that is America? I didn't see it in the commercial.

I am saying this as a white guy as well.
Business. Not a surprise..Jeep is catering and recruiting to its base buyer demographic and that is white people.

I went back and watched it again. At least half of the people they showed faces to were black. 
:lol: :lol:   I went back and watched it to give credence to your claim. The people I did not include in my count were people that were completely covered like the astronaut or people who were not visible like the group watching the outdoor movie (there were like 8 people in that moment). The final tally I came up with was:

33 White people

11 Black people

1 ethnic (the cop near the end)

Overly-sentimental, pandering, "patriotic" schlock. Imo. The imagery is like something from a John Oliver bit.
Well let’s see. I’m overly sentimental. I am very patriotic (though not nationalist; to me they’re opposite). But I like John Oliver too. 

But see, if it were me creating that commercial, I would have also added images of Colin Kaepernick kneeling and of undocumented immigrants attempting to sneak across our southern border. Because IMO both of those acts also represent patriotism and love of country and make me tear up as well. 

bradyfan said:
Mario, how can you sleep every night knowing there is evil in this world?

By the same token, should parents not be proud of their children because they are really never perfect?
There is evil all around us, I can sleep fine. But, I won't sit idly by when someone proclaims something to be awesome when it really isn't. Voices need to be heard, not suppressed.

Apple Jack said:
Overly-sentimental, pandering, "patriotic" schlock. Imo. The imagery is like something from a John Oliver bit.
Agreed. Leave the Star Spangled Banner out of the commercial. Leave the song out of the commercial. Completely pointless.

Users who are viewing this thread