What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE T.J. Hockenson, MIN (1 Viewer)

ESPN's Todd McShay lists Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson 16th on his updated top 32 prospects for the 2019 NFL Draft.

That makes Hockenson the highest rated tight end in McShay's board. It's also a big rise, as the 6-foot-5, 250-pounder was unranked in his previous edition. There are two other players at the position in McShay's 32: Irv Smith of Alabama at 24, and Hockenson's teammate, Noah Fant, at 28. He notes that Hockenson's "talent and toughness are obvious," and also that he can play both the F and Y position. Right now, all of the momentum seems to state that Hockenson will be the first tight end drafted. The combine, pro day, and team needs can change a lot, though. 

Jan 29 - 9:46 PM

Source: ESPN

The Draft Network's Jon Ledyard projects the Packers to select Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson with the 12th pick in his latest mock draft.

Hockenson is getting lots of love in mocks as of late, with NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah projecting the Iowa tight end to Detroit with the eighth pick. The 6-foot-5, 250-pound tight end is viewed by most as the top all-around tight end in the class, and considering how poorly the Jimmy Graham experiment went, it's a position of need for the Packers. On paper -- and that's all this can be, anyway -- this makes an awful lot of sense. 

Jan 21 - 3:58 PM

Source: The Draft Network

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah mocked Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson to the Detroit Lions with the No. 8 overall pick.

Hockenson (6'5/250) is a fringe first-rounder, so it was surprising to see Hockenson all the way up inside the top-10. Jeremiah did say, "This might be a little early for Hockenson" but it does show that Hockenson is generating legit first-round buzz. As a redshirt sophomore, Hockenson posted a 46-717-6 receiving line despite playing alongside fellow first-round tight end prospect Noah Fant.

Jan 18 - 6:21 PM

Source: NFL.com 

Iowa redshirt sophomore TE T.J. Hockenson declared for the 2019 NFL Draft.

Hockenson (6'5/250) is the second Iowa tight end to announce that he's leaving the school early, joining Noah Fant in the draft. While the redshirt sophomore isn't viewed as the same type of receiver/athlete Fant is, there's a chance Hockenson might be the first at the position off the board because of his sure hands and ability to move defenders as a blocker. The Draft Network's Jon Ledyard ranks him 21st overall in this class, and it shouldn't shock anyone if he was a first-round pick after his 46/717/6 line for Iowa in 2018. 

Jan 14 - 11:10 AM

Source: Adam Rittenberg on Twitter

The Draft Network's Jon Ledyard ranked Iowa redshirt sophomore TE T.J. Hockenson as his No. 21 overall prospect of the 2019 class.

Hockenson (6'5/25) was named the John Mackey Award Winner (the best TE in college football) after posting a team-high 11.4 yards per target average. On his 62 targets as a redshirt sophomore, Hockenson caught 46 passes (74% catch rate) for 717 yards and six touchdowns. It's possible that Hockenson is being overlooked with consensus TE1 Noah Fant being his teammate, but we can't sleep on Hockenson being a riser in the 2019 NFL Draft, assuming he ultimately declares.

Source: The Draft Network 

Jan 3 - 7:12 PM

T.J Hockenson continues to shoot up mock draft boards

Before the season, it would have been difficult to find people that believed former Iowa tight end T.J. Hockenson would leave for the NFL following his redshirt sophomore season. But Hockenson proved to be the most consistent all-around tight end in the country. He became the first-ever sophomore to win the John Mackey Award, which goes to the nation's best tight end.

NFL Draft analyst Thor Nystrom for Rotoworld.com put out his first NFL Mock Draft early Tuesday morning and has Hockenson going number seven overall to the Jacksonville Jaguars. Here's what Nystrom had to say about Hockenson. 

"TJ Hockenson is a force. He was arguably the nation’s best receiving tight end," Nystrom wrote. "Hock, not ballyhooed teammate Noah Fant, was the focal point of the passing attack from the jump on a team with an NFL-like coaching staff famous for developing tight ends – and doubled as a tour-de-force blocker. The guy is a third offensive tackle – he manhandles defensive ends. Hockenson’s blocking highlight reel is already #TwitterFamous. His receiving highlight reel is going to open eyes."

He ranked fourth in the nation among tight ends in receiving yards with 760 and ranked second on the team with 49 receptions. Hockenson added six receiving touchdowns as well as a rushing touchdown. He has flown up the draft position rankings as he is now ranked as the top tight end by many mock drafts. 

It's a major blow for the Hawkeyes heading into the 2019 season and it wasn't a decision that was easy for Hockenson to make. He didn't announce that he was declaring for the NFL Draft until the last day. Hockenson was rated as the fifth-best tight end prospect after the season and that's when the real speculation began about him going pro. 

Once the draft analysts had the chance to breakdown the film on Hockenson, it became clear that he is one of the most-ready tight ends in the draft. It felt like almost every game that Hockenson would do something that would blow you away. Whether it was his pancake blocks, hurdling defenders or high-pointing the football. It's clear to see why he's shooting up the draft boards. 

If teams try to put a defensive back on him, it won't come with much success. At 6-foot-5 250-pounds, Hockenson will be a handful to deal with. He also has the frame that could allow him to put on more weight if necessary. 

"In conjunction, they may show the best tight end prospect to enter the draft since Vernon Davis. Hockenson would be of particular appeal to the Jaguars... Plus, new OC John DeFilippo loves to make use of his tight ends. This is a marriage made in heaven."

Hockenson doesn't get the credit for being as big of an athlete as his former teammate Fant, but he's still a solid athlete and is NFL-ready. 

In FFPC/TE premium leagues the highest I can recall a TE getting drafted, save for maybe one outlier type league, was Ebron who was going in the 4-6 range. Next one I can recall was Howard who was normally going 6th-8th but Ebron was in the deepest WR draft we've ever seen and Howard in one of the deepest RB drafts.

I think this year, at least in FFPC leagues, is best chance I've seen for a TE to beat Ebron and go before pick 4. That's due to weakness of other positions and fact that two teams that like to use their TE's a lot have or might have a big hole, Saints and NE.  One of them picks Hock or Fant they belong in consideration as top 3 picks IMO.

Though I suppose the negative is rookie TE's usually don't produce, and with age of those QB's you don't really have year(s) to burn waiting on their development.

End of the first, maybe. I think there are too many wrs for him to go for a mid 1st. Nice talent will be had in the 2nd.

Solid draft for tes and wrs.

I'm not so sure this is possible. I wasnt in dynasty for the 2017 draft but in my current league Engram went 1.8. 
In my two non TE premium leagues you could have had one of Engram or Njoku in round two the year they came out but overall depth of class and landing spots dictate a lot of this kind of conversation. May not seem likely today but to early to rule out the possibility IMO especially with a lot of other good TE's in this class.

End of the first, maybe. I think there are too many wrs for him to go for a mid 1st. Nice talent will be had in the 2nd.

Solid draft for tes and wrs.
TE Premo League, he could go higher.

Tex

Faust said:
T.J Hockenson continues to shoot up mock draft boards

...the nation's best tight end.

NFL Draft analyst Thor Nystrom for Rotoworld.com put out his first NFL Mock Draft early Tuesday morning and has Hockenson going number seven overall to the Jacksonville Jaguars. Here's what Nystrom had to say about Hockenson. 

"TJ Hockenson is a force. He was arguably the nation’s best receiving tight end," Nystrom wrote. "Hock, not ballyhooed teammate Noah Fant, was the focal point of the passing attack from the jump on a team with an NFL-like coaching staff famous for developing tight ends – and doubled as a tour-de-force blocker. The guy is a third offensive tackle – he manhandles defensive ends. Hockenson’s blocking highlight reel is already #TwitterFamous. His receiving highlight reel is going to open eyes."
This guy is one of the best TEs to come out and he will be ranked and go higher than most people realize at this time.

I don't see him falling outside of the top-ten picks.

This guy is one of the best TEs to come out and he will be ranked and go higher than most people realize at this time.

It’s only my opinion but Jace could go #1. I think him only having one year of production is what keeping him down but these two with Fant close behind are the best of the bunch. If Jace gets picked by Green Bay late in round one then it will be gloves off.

Tex

When looking at team needs of teams currently picking 7-10 I'd tend to agree, also teams currently picking 11-13 need TE as well.

Heard a discussion the other day that centered around asking predictions on what player among the RB's, WR's and TE's would get picked first.  All 3 people on this discussion went with Hockenson. I'd be willing to bet that's not happened before, where a TE went before any RB or WR.

Dr. Dan said:
Interesting prospect. I am hoping a mid 1st will land him or Fant
In a non-TE-premium league I wouldn't spend a 1st rd rookie pick on a TE 99% of the time.  The risk is simply too high considering the bust rate and how long it takes for TEs to matter.  One exception would be devy leagues where a lot of the top talent are already on rosters.

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN's Mel Kiper compared Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson to Rob Gronkowski.

That's a future first-ballot Hall of Fame tight end, so calling Kiper bullish on Hockenson is an understatement. Todd McShay tapped the brakes a bit, noting that Hockenson isn't as strong as Gronk is, but they both agreed that Hockenson and Gronk both have swag, which is undeniably the most important thing scouts look for. But in all seriousness, Hockenson is a potential NFL star who offers high-end pass-catching ability and relentlessness as a blocker. Another comparison for Hockenson is 2018 breakout tight end George Kittle.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Feb 15, 2019, 6:47 PM

I've been bullish on Hockenson for a long while now. Several times in the 2019 draft threads when people were bringing up Noah I would say don't discount Hockenson. I would always compare him to Kittle when I brought him up. Hockenson is a very good blocker and receiver. I know Kittle didn't have the greatest receiving numbers at Iowa but that is because he was woefully underutilized when he was at Iowa.

Hockenson is the real deal and I'm going to have him on every team I can get him on.

I've been bullish on Hockenson for a long while now. Several times in the 2019 draft threads when people were bringing up Noah I would say don't discount Hockenson. I would always compare him to Kittle when I brought him up. Hockenson is a very good blocker and receiver. I know Kittle didn't have the greatest receiving numbers at Iowa but that is because he was woefully underutilized when he was at Iowa.

Hockenson is the real deal and I'm going to have him on every team I can get him on.
how high is too high in a ppr draft

I was hoping he would make it to pick 14 but I am considering taking him at pick 7 just to make sure I have him. 

I was hoping he would make it to pick 14 but I am considering taking him at pick 7 just to make sure I have him. 
Landing spot will matter with Hockenson.  Also, TEs are so risky I'm not sure I would spend a 1.7 on him in rookie drafts of dynasty leagues.  Remember how everyone loved Gesicki last year?  Hayden Hurst?  Now it looks like Andrews is the player to have at TE for the Ravens.  Goedert?  I still like him a lot, but getting drafted on a team with Ertz hurt.  

Landing spot will matter with Hockenson.  Also, TEs are so risky I'm not sure I would spend a 1.7 on him in rookie drafts of dynasty leagues.  Remember how everyone loved Gesicki last year?  Hayden Hurst?  Now it looks like Andrews is the player to have at TE for the Ravens.  Goedert?  I still like him a lot, but getting drafted on a team with Ertz hurt.  
I agree. Good feedback. I'm thinking my 2.2 might be a good spot to take him, but I'm tempted at 1.7. thinking of trying to trade down to 1.10. 

I have a luxury of 4 1sts so if I blow 1.7 on a te that I want I'm not in terrible shape but it would be nice to trade down a little. 

Landing spot will matter with Hockenson.  Also, TEs are so risky I'm not sure I would spend a 1.7 on him in rookie drafts of dynasty leagues.  Remember how everyone loved Gesicki last year?    
Man I hope Gesicki ends up doing something. What a wasted pick last year. Thank God I only have him in one of 10 dynasty leagues.  :rant:

Didn’t Kittle get hurt? At the beginning of that season he was ranked #1 over Dallas and others. You can often get player like Kittle later in the draft because the tend to get lost in the hype because they get injured especially the ones who get injured at the beginning of the season like Kittle did.

:twocents:

Tex

I wouldn't sleep on Goedert, I think he could have a big 2019 and ultimately his career arc will align his prime with Carson Wentz's prime. 

Of course it depends if it's a premium TE PPR league or not. I would consider him as high as pick #7 as well depending on team needs and the players still left on the board, team landing spot etc. in a 1ppr league. 

In my Devy league we have a rookie and devy combined draft. I have pick 1.06 and I'm in desperate need of a TE. My current TE's are Greg Olson and Antonio Gates. If there isn't a devy that I want at that spot I may try and trade back to the 1.09 or 1.10 and hopefully draft Hockenson at that point, this is a 1ppr league.

I agree. Good feedback. I'm thinking my 2.2 might be a good spot to take him, but I'm tempted at 1.7. thinking of trying to trade down to 1.10. 

I have a luxury of 4 1sts so if I blow 1.7 on a te that I want I'm not in terrible shape but it would be nice to trade down a little. 
FWIW Hockenson did win the 1.07 poll in standard scoring leagues.

Votes were all over the place in that one and perhaps the recent buzz (Kiper) helped nudge him in but there you go.

Noah Fant won the TE premium poll but it was pretty much a tie between these two guys.

How did Iowa become such a TE factory recently?

Been trying to figure out where this guy will go in the draft and the one team that no one has bothered with is Jacksonville who use TEs like extra OTs due to blocking.

The Jags #1 TE James Oshaughnessy only had 24 receptions for 214 yards with zero TDs.  Hockenson has been described as a 'tour-de-force' blocking TE and he can catch to make him a legitimate three-down threat.

"TJ Hockenson is a force. He was arguably the nation’s best receiving tight end," Nystrom wrote. "Hock, not ballyhooed teammate Noah Fant, was the focal point of the passing attack from the jump on a team with an NFL-like coaching staff famous for developing tight ends – and doubled as a tour-de-force blocker. The guy is a third offensive tackle – he manhandles defensive ends. Hockenson’s blocking highlight reel is already #TwitterFamous. His receiving highlight reel is going to open eyes."
The Jags entire receiving corps could use an upgrade but with Hockenson in the lineup they wouldn't lose blocking for Fournette and with a legit receiving threat it would loosen things up for their WRs and the passing game.  

He may not go to Jacksonville bu it 'seems' like it would be a good fit IMHO.

Biabreakable said:
FWIW Hockenson did win the 1.07 poll in standard scoring leagues.

Votes were all over the place in that one and perhaps the recent buzz (Kiper) helped nudge him in but there you go.

Noah Fant won the TE premium poll but it was pretty much a tie between these two guys.

How did Iowa become such a TE factory recently?
recently? always been good Dallas Clark, Kittle....

Been trying to figure out where this guy will go in the draft and the one team that no one has bothered with is Jacksonville who use TEs like extra OTs due to blocking.

The Jags #1 TE James Oshaughnessy only had 24 receptions for 214 yards with zero TDs.  Hockenson has been described as a 'tour-de-force' blocking TE and he can catch to make him a legitimate three-down threat.

The Jags entire receiving corps could use an upgrade but with Hockenson in the lineup they wouldn't lose blocking for Fournette and with a legit receiving threat it would loosen things up for their WRs and the passing game.  

He may not go to Jacksonville bu it 'seems' like it would be a good fit IMHO.
I bet NE wants him badly.

Why is TE such a priority for them?

I can't recall a single year with Rodgers that a TE was a huge part of their success. Favre likely used TE more than Rodgers has.
This is very true. and because of that I think that I would probably avoid the TE GB drafted if Fant and Hockenson both go round 1 and GB takes one. I think offensive weapons like TE are a priority now because it seems like the new GM has it as a priority. Graham was their top FA grab and he didn't turn out too well. They went heavy at WR, and although they all seem like ho hum picks at this point, I dont see him going for another wr. TE seems logical if he wants to boost the offense with a skill position player. 

This is very true. and because of that I think that I would probably avoid the TE GB drafted if Fant and Hockenson both go round 1 and GB takes one. I think offensive weapons like TE are a priority now because it seems like the new GM has it as a priority. Graham was their top FA grab and he didn't turn out too well. They went heavy at WR, and although they all seem like ho hum picks at this point, I dont see him going for another wr. TE seems logical if he wants to boost the offense with a skill position player. 
I agree they have been focused on upgrading the position. I guess I am just not sure why. It seems like they have a lot of other needs and Rodgers performs fine without a elite pass catching TE.

Maybe it is just that their picks and signings at the position haven't worked out for a variety of reasons. Bump FInley.

The Packers need receiving talent. Don't think it matters much if it's at WR or TE. Historically Rodgers has used his TEs about as much as their talent warranted, maybe a little more.

The Packers need receiving talent. Don't think it matters much if it's at WR or TE. Historically Rodgers has used his TEs about as much as their talent warranted, maybe a little more.
This. Rodgers has used Finley and Cook when he had them. I guess a WR is also possible at #12, but the class is more deep than top heavy, so that's probably not the best value at #12. I can see O-line or defense as well, but they need a big time playmaker most of all and there's a good chance Hockenson will be the best one on the board.

I believe NE will take one of Hockenson, Fant, or Irv Smith with their 1st rd pick.  I doubt all 3 of them are taken before their pick.

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah ranks Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson fifth on his updated top 50 board for the 2019 NFL Draft class.

Ohio State DE Nick Bosa ranks first, followed by Alabama DT Quinnen Williams, Kentucky LB Josh Allen and Clemson DT Christian Wilkins. Hockenson (6'5/250) ranked 14th in Jeremiah's previous board, and it continues the meteoric rise of a player that wasn't even viewed as the best player at his position at his school (Noah Fant, who ranks 23rd on Jeremiah's board) to start the year. "Overall, Hockenson is one of the best blocking tight ends I've ever evaluated and he is dependable in the passing game,"Jeremiah writes. "He's a Day 1 impact player at the next level."

SOURCE: NFL.com

Feb 25, 2019, 8:29 AM

Users who are viewing this thread