What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE T.J. Hockenson, MIN (1 Viewer)

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah called Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson the "safest player in the draft."

Hockenson (6'5/250) is a plus receiver and a "dominant" blocker, so this isn't as crazy of a statement as it sounds. Jeremiah notes that 2018 breakout tight end George Kittle didn't come close to Hockenson in terms of production at Iowa in a similar system a few years back, which highlights the potential of Hockenson. Out of all the skill position prospects in the 2019 NFL Draft, Jeremiah believes Hockenson helps his quarterback more than any other prospect with Alabama RB Joshua Jacobs coming in second. Hockenson may end up being selected inside the top-10.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Feb 25, 2019, 7:45 PM

In FFPC/TE premium leagues the highest I can recall a TE getting drafted, save for maybe one outlier type league, was Ebron who was going in the 4-6 range. Next one I can recall was Howard who was normally going 6th-8th but Ebron was in the deepest WR draft we've ever seen and Howard in one of the deepest RB drafts.

I think this year, at least in FFPC leagues, is best chance I've seen for a TE to beat Ebron and go before pick 4. That's due to weakness of other positions and fact that two teams that like to use their TE's a lot have or might have a big hole, Saints and NE.  One of them picks Hock or Fant they belong in consideration as top 3 picks IMO.

Though I suppose the negative is rookie TE's usually don't produce, and with age of those QB's you don't really have year(s) to burn waiting on their development.
I wasn't in any TE premium or even PPR leagues back then, but the highest I recall one going in dynasty was Kellen Winslow Jr. going in top 5 after Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Steven Jackson.  Strong QB draft but a whole lot of meh beyond that position and Fitz and Jackson on the offensive side of the ball.

I've been playing PPR dynasty leagues for decades. Its incredibly rare that a TE is ever picked before VERY late 1st and most commonly picked in the 2nd or 3rd round. Is this guy so good that people see him going in the fist the majority of drafts? Even mid first? I  remember both Gronk and Hernandez were 3rd rounders in our rookie drafts. And it seems lately the "top" TEs take so long to develop (OJ Howard, Ebron, Gesicki, guys that were taken late 1st or very early 2nd) that maybe people are a little gun shy about going TE early? 

I've been playing PPR dynasty leagues for decades. Its incredibly rare that a TE is ever picked before VERY late 1st and most commonly picked in the 2nd or 3rd round. Is this guy so good that people see him going in the fist the majority of drafts? Even mid first? I  remember both Gronk and Hernandez were 3rd rounders in our rookie drafts. And it seems lately the "top" TEs take so long to develop (OJ Howard, Ebron, Gesicki, guys that were taken late 1st or very early 2nd) that maybe people are a little gun shy about going TE early? 
I am considering at 1.7. Based on needs and possible talent there. Do I want tue 3rd RB in a bad class or the best TE in this class? 

I also own 2.1. I doubt expect him to last that long and I'm happy with a wr at 2.1. 

Been trying to figure out where this guy will go in the draft and the one team that no one has bothered with is Jacksonville who use TEs like extra OTs due to blocking.

The Jags #1 TE James Oshaughnessy only had 24 receptions for 214 yards with zero TDs.  Hockenson has been described as a 'tour-de-force' blocking TE and he can catch to make him a legitimate three-down threat.

The Jags entire receiving corps could use an upgrade but with Hockenson in the lineup they wouldn't lose blocking for Fournette and with a legit receiving threat it would loosen things up for their WRs and the passing game.  

He may not go to Jacksonville bu it 'seems' like it would be a good fit IMHO.
If they sign Nick Foles then I could see the pick for them but if not they will have to go QB in the draft.

Why is TE such a priority for them?

I can't recall a single year with Rodgers that a TE was a huge part of their success. Favre likely used TE more than Rodgers has.
They'll have a whole new coaching staff and offensive system so it's hard to say what will be their priority on offense. Finley had some good years and I think M. Bennett had a good year with Rodgers - what other TEs have they really had? Graham looked washed up last season, Richard Rodgers was a JAG....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen Ebron go as high as 1.04 (and always in round 1), OJ Howard went at 1.05 in two leagues (and 2.02 the latest) and Engram and Eifert went in the late first in most of my leagues. It depends on the prospect and the rest of the class.

I am considering at 1.7. Based on needs and possible talent there. Do I want tue 3rd RB in a bad class or the best TE in this class? 

I also own 2.1. I doubt expect him to last that long and I'm happy with a wr at 2.1. 
In most cases I would probably draft  someone like Eligah Holyfield, Benny Snell Jr,  Rodney Anderson, Deebo Samuel, Riley Ridley,  and J Arcega-Whiteside,  Damien Harris, Hakeem Butler,  and Marquise Brown  over Hockenson.  That's not to say there wouldn't be a scenario where I would take Hockenson instead, but in most cases I wouldn't.

JohnnyU said:
In most cases I would probably draft  someone like Eligah Holyfield, Benny Snell Jr,  Rodney Anderson, Deebo Samuel, Riley Ridley,  and J Arcega-Whiteside,  Damien Harris, Hakeem Butler,  and Marquise Brown  over Hockenson.  That's not to say there wouldn't be a scenario where I would take Hockenson instead, but in most cases I wouldn't.
It's interesting you say this because it's my plan 1B. 

1B is I count on a pretty solid wr slipping to me at 1.7. 

Depends on what the rb picture looks like after the draft 

LINK GIF Hockenson pancake block

Jordan Reid‏ @JReidNFL

T.J. Hockenson is a prospect that comes in clear packaging. You know exactly what you’re getting from him from as soon as he’s drafted. Extremely safe pick. First-round player.

1:51 PM - 25 Feb 2019

------------------------------------

Devastating blocking, should boost run game.  See LINKED GIF.

Men-in-Cleats said:
I wasn't in any TE premium or even PPR leagues back then, but the highest I recall one going in dynasty was Kellen Winslow Jr. going in top 5 after Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Steven Jackson.  Strong QB draft but a whole lot of meh beyond that position and Fitz and Jackson on the offensive side of the ball.
Not that my dynasty league is how every league goes, but Winslow went #1 overall in my rookie draft when he came out. The hype around him was crazy, with many thinking he'd be equal to Tony Gonzalez by the end of his rookie season. That draft went Winslow, Fitzgerald, Kevin Jones, Julius Jones, Jackson. 

Anyway, Hockenson looks like a pretty great prospect to me, I think he's about the equal of Dallas Goedert, so hopefully he doesn't end up being drafted by somebody who already has a TE. Or if he does, its by a team who has a TE on the downswing, like the Titans or Panthers. I very much wonder where a guy like Goedert would be valued if he'd been drafted by say Miami instead of Philly.

Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson ran the 40-yard dash in an unofficial 4.71 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Hockenson (6'5/251) failed to light up the event like teammate Noah Fant (4.51 seconds unofficially), but as The Draft Network's Jon Ledyard notes, "his speed when he gets going is obvious." Hock possesses a lovely blend of offensive upside and elite -- and we mean elite -- blocking ability. He could easily land as a top-15 selection come the draft proper. NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah views Hockenson as the safest prospect in this class.

Mar 2, 2019, 9:10 AM

Not disappointing at all.  Hockenson's game speed is plenty fast for the NFL.  And he's still one of the most complete TE prospects in the past decade. 

@NextGenStats

Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson & UCLA TE Caleb Wilson have the two highest College Production Scores among the 2019 tight end class according to the Next Gen Stats Draft Model.

Since 2013, only Evan Engram, Zach Ertz & Mark Andrews entered the draft with a higher TE production score.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Lions are going to take him at #8
Would be a great pick for them, and worthy of #8 IMO.

Guy did amazing in the vert, long, 3 cone, 20 and 60.  

Zyphros said:
Gronk ran 4.68.  Hockenson just knows how to separate with his speed really well but he isn't a burner like Fant is.  All around complete TE.  
Separation can still work without blazing speed. Gates is 100 and still finds his spots to catch the ball. Redzone becomes a bonus either way.

Not comparing the players at all.  You said you were disappointed in his 40, his game isn't pure speed based like Fant's.  I just stated that arguably the best TE to ever enter the NFL was .03 timed difference.  
OK, you made an excellent clarification so I will as well, I said disappointing not devastating.  

Running a 4.7+ forty for a TE viewed as a 'potential' top-ten pick to me is disappointing.

Hockenson looks just as fast as Fant on the field.   There are plenty of highlights of Hock running away from defenders.  Plus he doesn't go down as easy as Fant.      

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah says Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson is a better route runner than Iowa TE Noah Fant.

Jeremiah views the two tight end prospects as completely different players. Fant was compared to WR Vincent Jackson, and Jeremiah believes Fant will lineup outside and run right by defenders. Hockenson (6'5/251) will be a more traditional tight end, who offers "elite run blocking" and great route running underneath and over the middle. Jeremiah can see why Fant could be ranked higher than Hockenson for specific teams, but he views Hockenson as the safest player in the draft.

SOURCE: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

Mar 16, 2019, 5:48 PM

The Athletic's Dane Brugler believes Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson has a "complete skill set."

Hockenson (6'5/251) excelled in athletic testing at the NFL Scouting combine, producing an athletic SPARQ composite score in the 87th percentile. Brugler noted that Hockenson didn't block in high school but has developed into an "elite blocker" with "the functional strength and competitive spirit to physically overwhelm defenders at the point of attack." Hockenson is the full package with strong athleticism, good blocking chops, and pass-catching ability. Brugler projects Hockenson to be an immediate starter with Pro Bowl potential and has him ranked No. 9 overall on his latest Top-100 Big Board.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Mar 17, 2019, 11:37 AM

Running a 4.7+ forty for a TE viewed as a 'potential' top-ten pick to me is disappointing.

So what?  He’s an every down player who when receiving is too big for SSs to handle and too athletic for MLBs.  It would be an upset if he makes it outside of the top 10.  Barring a complete flop like virtually every rookie is in risk of, the only worries for his owners is being on a team with a weak strongside OT where he gets tagged with max protection responsibility.

I have 1.07 and need a TE so I’m pretty sure I’m taking him if he’s there
I don't need a te and if he's there at 1.08 I'm taking him.  IMO,  the highest floor player in the draft.

how high does he go in ppr? some people have him top 7!

In a TE required or TE premium league, I could absolutely see him as a top 7 pick.  If he pans out, he gives a FF team a potential scoring edge at TE over all but a very few players.

I have 1.07 and need a TE so I’m pretty sure I’m taking him if he’s there

I don't need a te and if he's there at 1.08 I'm taking him.  IMO,  the highest floor player in the draft.

In a TE required or TE premium league, I could absolutely see him as a top 7 pick.  If he pans out, he gives a FF team a potential scoring edge at TE over all but a very few players.
I have 1.7 and I'm between him or Sanders if they are there. I probably need more depth at te so I may go te, but I really like the RBS there at 7... hmmm... depends where he goes I guess. strong chance he ends up in GB and Rodgers hasnt really used his TEs extensively 

how high does he go in ppr? some people have him top 7!
I plan to take him and Fant at 1.4 and 1.5 but that’s today. I have a few TEs right behind him.  Draft capital is heavily weighted in my final Board.

Tex

I plan to take him and Fant at 1.4 and 1.5 but that’s today. I have a few TEs right behind him.  Draft capital is heavily weighted in my final Board.

Tex
te premium? we have start 1-2, so he may not be worth a top 5 pick. 1.5 might be looking at him though because he needs a te badly

te premium? we have start 1-2, so he may not be worth a top 5 pick. 1.5 might be looking at him though because he needs a te badly
Yes, TE Premo. We start two TEs as well Kelce is my bread and butter as I’d swap out Walker (Injured for 2018) and Engram. We carry six TEs so I’d have to make sure I drop the correct TE.

Tex

Yes, TE Premo. We start two TEs as well Kelce is my bread and butter as I’d swap out Walker (Injured for 2018) and Engram. We carry six TEs so I’d have to make sure I drop the correct TE.

Tex
I'm not sure he should go 1st round in a non te premo league, but he may. I may be holding out hope he falls to 13

Walter Football's Charlie Campbell compares Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson to Philadelphia Eagles TE Zack Ertz.

Ertz is considered one of the very best tight ends in the NFL, so yes, this is very high praise. The only negatives Campbell lists for the 6-foot-5, 251-pound tight end is that his speed is only adequate, and he's a good athlete but not a great one. Everything else you could ask for from a tight end is listed here, including his blocking ability and soft hands. Hockenson appears to be a lock for the first-round at this point, and there's a real chance he's off the board in the top 10. Campbell lists Jacksonville, Detroit, Seattle, Houston, Oakland, Los Angeles Chargers, and New England as possible fits.

SOURCE: Walter Football

Mar 18, 2019, 11:10 AM

Walter Football's Charlie Campbell compares Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson to Philadelphia Eagles TE Zack Ertz.
Sanders was a converted WR but the way Hockenson tracks and high points the ball in the air, caught the ball in stride, and the way he extends his hands reminds me of if a HOF TE Charlie Sanders of the Lions.

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller grades Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson over O.J. Howard.

Howard entered the draft as one of the highest graded tight ends in the last decade, so this is quite the compliment for Hockenson (6'5/251). Hockenson is an above average athlete and pass-catcher with elite-level blocking skills, and he figures to be at least a top-20 pick come April. The Gronk-less Patriots are probably too far away to trade up for Hockenson, but Iowa TE Noah Fant and Alabama TE Irv Smith Jr. would make a lot of sense.

SOURCE: Matt Miller on Twitter

Mar 24, 2019, 4:39 PM

Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson dropped 1-of-51 catchable targets in 2018.

Hockenson (6'5/251) was the second-highest graded tight end in college football last season, and he's the Pro Football Focus' No. 21 overall prospect on their 2019 big board, well ahead of teammate Noah Fant (43rd overall). Hockenson is as safe as a tight end prospect can be with elite blocking skills, more than enough receiving skills, and above average athleticism. The Iowa TE is expected to fetch a top-20 pick with some mocks going as high as No. 6 overall.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus

Apr 1, 2019, 8:11 PM

NFL.com Analyst Bucky Brooks lists Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson is one of the "gold jacket" prospects in the 2019 NFL Draft class.

Hockenson is viewed by (almost) everyone as the top tight end prospects in this class, and by several as one of the best prospects altogether. "As a Jason Witten-like weapon at the "Y" position, it is easy to envision Hockenson being a longtime difference-maker as the centerpiece of a passing game," writes Brooks. He's a lock for the first round, and it wouldn't be a big surprise if he went in the first 15 selections in a little under three weeks.

Apr 5, 2019, 5:28 PM

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller ranked Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson first among tight ends in this year's NFL Draft.

In his analysis of the John Mackey Award winner, Miller singled out Hockenson's (6'5/251) versatility as one of his strengths. "Scheme-versatile tight end who can play in line, flexed out or even in the backfield; has enough athleticism to be used in a variety of roles and situations," Miller wrote. Hockenson, who was compared to Chiefs standout Travis Kelce in the writeup, is projected to be a mid-first round selection in this month's draft.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 14, 2019, 5:16 PM

Users who are viewing this thread