What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE T.J. Hockenson, MIN (1 Viewer)

NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt ranks Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson sixth on his board for the 2019 NFL Draft class.

Hockenson is the highest rated offensive player on Brandt's board, with Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray ranking just a slot below. The 6-foot-5, 251-pound isn't getting quite as much top 10 hype as he was in March, but he's still viewed as the best all-around tight end in this class by most analysts, including Brandt (obviously). "Hockenson, who played two seasons at Iowa after redshirting in 2016, can and will block and is a very good receiver downfield," he writes. "He will help his team's running game."

SOURCE: NFL.com

Apr 16, 2019, 8:00 PM

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah compares Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson to former TV broadcaster Jason Witten.

Before Witten was a world-class broadcaster, he was a Hall of Fame tight end, so this is high praise for Hockenson (6'5/251). Jeremiah wasn't willing to put Hockenson in the Vernon Davis or Rob Gronkowski tier, but he still sang his praises and currently ranks him as a top-10 prospect. It's rare for teams to spend a top-10 pick on a tight end, but that could happen this time around with Hockenson's A+ blocking ability and above average receiving skills. Hockenson's draft range is between 6th and 20th overall.

SOURCE: Andrew Howard on Twitter

Apr 18, 2019, 3:13 PM

Sports Info Solutions' Bryce Rossler notes that Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson was 3rd among 99 tight ends in EPA per target.

EPA is one of the best metrics out there, and it's no surprise that Hockenson, who is arguably underrated as a receiver, is near the top of the list. As for the rest of the class, Iowa TE Noah Fant checks in at No. 22, but there are few low-usage tight end prospects who were more efficient than Fant on a per-play basis. Those would be Trevon Wesco (4th), Irv Smith (6th), Isaac Nauta (8th), Jace Sternberger (14th), and Dawson Knox (15th).

SOURCE: Sports Info Solutions

Apr 19, 2019, 7:36 PM

Per Pro Football Focus, Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson led Big 10 tight ends in passer rating when targeted.

Hockenson (6'5/251) posted a ridiculous 139.1 passer rating on targets and was followed closely by his teammate Noah Fant (131.2). These two stand alone as the top tight ends of this class and that was no different in this category with Michigan TE Zach Gentry (107.6) the next closest. Hockenson averaged 7.3 yards after the catch and forced eight missed tackles in 2018. He'll likely be the first tight end off the board and land somewhere inside the top-20 picks with top-10 upside.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus on Twitter

Apr 21, 2019, 11:27 AM

ESPN's Todd McShay hears that the Jacksonville Jaguars are potentially interested in taking Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson with the seventh pick of the 2019 NFL Draft on Thursday.

This is interesting, if only because we've been hearing mostly offensive line talk with this pick; mainly Florida tackle Jawaan Taylor. However, McShay hears that the Jaguars want to address the offensive line problems later in the draft. "So whom do they like at No. 7 then? Iowa tight end T.J. Hockenson is one name to watch, but there are also plenty of rumblings regarding the defensive line," McShay writes. Taking a tight end this high is risky, but Hockenson's ability to help in virtually every facet could make him an exception to the rule.

SOURCE: ESPN

Apr 22, 2019, 11:16 AM

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer calls the 12th overall pick Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson's floor.

Hockenson (6'5/251) has been linked all over the first half of the draft. The Jaguars (7th), Lions (8th), Bills (9th), Broncos (10th), Bengals (11th), and Packers (12th) are clearly in play to break the trend of tight ends falling in the draft. We've seen O.J. Howard and other top-10 candidates fall in recent years, but Hockenson is considered by many to be the top tight end prospect in years, so Breer's report isn't overly surprising.

SOURCE: Albert Breer on Periscope

Apr 24, 2019, 11:49 AM

He seems legit and if the Packers take him I'd be pleased... but that's mostly based on all the hype I've read. Like O.J. Howard is a nice player too but hard to argue he should have been a Top 10 pick.

Lions selected Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson with the No. 8 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Hockenson (6’5/251) went pro after earning the 2018 Mackey Award as a redshirt sophomore, finishing what amounted to a two-year career with 73/1,080/9 (14.8 YPR) receiving working in tandem with Noah Fant. In 2018, 35 of Hockenson’s 49 catches went for first downs or touchdowns (71.4%). Surer handed and a superior in-line blocker to his Iowa teammate, Hockenson also showed high-end athleticism by testing in the 88 th -SPARQ percentile with a 4.7-flat forty, 37.5-inch vertical, and 7.02 three-cone time in Indy. This draft’s most well-rounded tight end, Hockenson has drawn Travis Kelce comparisons for his physical nature in the run and pass games. Tight end was a huge hole in Detroit after the Lions ran out a hodgepodge combination of Luke Willson, Hakeem Valles, Michael Roberts, and Levine Toilolo in 2018.

Apr 25, 2019, 7:16 PM

I like T.J. Hockenson. Unfortunately, you probably like him a lot more than I do. I've been seeing drafts where he's going ahead of Kyler Murray, which is absolutely insane. I mean, besides stacking up RZ touchdowns there isn't exactly a precedent of Matthew Stafford lighting up passes to his TE. I mean, Eric Ebron leaves Detroit and puts up a career year in Indianapolis.

Early 2nd round, I'd be all over this guy. It just doesn't seem like rookie TEs have a knack of stepping in and producing right away. It's all very confusing. On paper, Austin Hooper should be a stud in Atlanta. Medicore at best. Delanie Walker is a nobody in San Francisco and then becomes a stud in Tennessee.

I'm no good with TEs. I'd honestly rather take Murray or Haskins over this guy, knowing that they're at least going to have relevant fantasy production and could be flipped for a quick gain if need be. Rookie TEs has trouble blocking, show glimpses, and sit on your roster for years while guys drafted around them produce from Day 1.

Biggest issue is that rookie TEs rarely ever so much more than 400/4 so it could be a bit before he’s really a difference maker. It wasn’t until Kelce’s 4th year that he really registered for fantasy when he finished 8th  in TE scoring. It also took Ertz 4 years before he had a low end TE1 season as. It was Ebron’s 5th year where he finally had a breakout season. Eiffert was unplayable for his first 2 years. Olsen took 7 years. 

Ofcourse every once in awhile you get a Kittle or Gronk or Engram who quickly return value but that’s rare. Investing in a rookie TE seems silly to me.

Just took Hockenstein at 1.04 in a TE premium league.  

With his lack of any real weakness as a TE, he’s going to be on the field in every situation.  He’s a complete mismatch for ILBs and Ss in the middle of the field - he’s too fast for the ILBs and too big to manage for the Ss.  His hands are sure things.  DET’s line isn’t awesome but it is capable, so he won’t be in max protect regularly.  IMO this guy is the surest FF asset in this year’s draft, and since we can start 2 TEs in our flex, I can run him alongside Kittle.

That also keeps him off someone else’s roster and his VBD value ought to be high in mandatory TE leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:

With his lack of any real weakness as a TE, he’s going to be on the field in every situation.  He’s a complete mismatch for ILBs and Ss in the middle of the field - he’s too fast for the ILBs and too big to manage for the Ss.  His hands are sure things.  DET’s line isn’t awesome but it is capable, so he won’t be in max protect regularly.  IMO this guy is the surest FF asset in this year’s draft, and since we can start 2 TEs in our flex, I can run him alongside Kittle.

That also keeps him off someone else’s roster and his VBD value ought to be high in must-start TE league.

that's a bargain in te premium

Biggest issue is that rookie TEs rarely ever so much more than 400/4 so it could be a bit before he’s really a difference maker. It wasn’t until Kelce’s 4th year that he really registered for fantasy when he finished 8th  in TE scoring. It also took Ertz 4 years before he had a low end TE1 season as. It was Ebron’s 5th year where he finally had a breakout season. Eiffert was unplayable for his first 2 years. Olsen took 7 years. 

Ofcourse every once in awhile you get a Kittle or Gronk or Engram who quickly return value but that’s rare. Investing in a rookie TE seems silly to me.
I share this opinion. However, you have to draft a TE at some point... If you wait until you need one then you're waiting 3 years. 

I do think there are a lot of really good talents that can be had in late round 2 or 3 that will turn out pretty good. 

Hock and Fant seem to be very very talented TEs, but there are great TEs behind them that donf cost a premium. 

I share this opinion. However, you have to draft a TE at some point... If you wait until you need one then you're waiting 3 years. 

I do think there are a lot of really good talents that can be had in late round 2 or 3 that will turn out pretty good. 

Hock and Fant seem to be very very talented TEs, but there are great TEs behind them that donf cost a premium. 
Obviously lots of it depends on league size and roster size but I prefer to draft TEs later than Hock or Fant will go or trade for veterans, guys who haven’t quite hit and have frustrated the person that drafted them. 

Heap was pretty good with Flacco wasn’t he? And there isn’t a lot of proven targets in the passing game other than Sanders.  I’m not sure why Fant can’t have a Kelce or Kittle type roll in the Broncos offense. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Heap was pretty good with Flacco wasn’t he? And there isn’t a lot of proven targets in the passing game other than Sanders.  I’m not sure why Fant can’t have a Kelce or Kittle type roll in the Broncos offense. 
What’s that offense going to look like? Sanders may start on pup, so you aren’t wrong but it’s the same as a lot of other spots- run based attack, lower pass attempts. Will he be the full time te in a run based scheme? Do they have the RBs for a run based scheme? They may want a better blocker, and he’d lose some 1-2 down targets perhaps. Or he could be lead the team in targets as Flacco looks to check down. Hard to say what that offense will look like imo. 

That said, lots of people look at Hockensons situation and staffords history of tes, and don’t like what they see. So you might put it at 50-50 which one turns out better for fantasy. I will mention that when Patricia took over he mentioned that te is really important for what he wants to do (then they cut ebron, but perhaps thought they had a gronk deal in place.) 

I agree Snorkleson, and I do think the Lions were heavily favoring Hock because of his blocking skills, as it sounds like they want to be a run based team (which you can't blame them for the shift, Stafford has proven throwing 50 times a game doesn't = wins for that team) So that is one of the reasons I think Fant could very well outproduce him in fantasy. But who the heck knows right now. 

Where would you draft Kelce right now, or Ebron or Kittle?  With Hockenstein you’ve got a very reasonable expectation of that kind of production.  Yeah, he’s a great blocker on multiple levels but his receiving skills are as good as his blocking skills.  He can line up in-line, in the backfield, in the slot, or out wide.  Hockenstein never comes off the field because of situation, which means he has opportunity no matter where on the field DET is, or what the down and distance is.

I’m probably going to regret saying this because of the likely blowback, but Hockenstein can be every bit as good as Gronkowski was.  He has all the skills, talent, and mentality.  It sure might not happen, but all the pieces are there for it to happen.

MLive's Kyle Meinke expects first-round TE T.J. Hockenson to start Week 1.

This isn't a surprise given Hockenson's draft status, but rookie tight ends have some of the steepest learning curves. Hockenson's in-line ability will get him snaps on early downs and he's a superior pass catcher to Jesse James. With Golden Tate gone and Marvin Jones coming off injury, Hockenson should see enough red-zone targets to make a Year One impact.

SOURCE: MLive.com

Apr 29, 2019, 9:54 AM

Is anyone worried about Stafford's performance this year with all his current family drama? With what is going on with his family it seems like studying x's and o's may not be his top priority at the moment and would be hard to blame him.

Is anyone worried about Stafford's performance this year with all his current family drama? With what is going on with his family it seems like studying x's and o's may not be his top priority at the moment and would be hard to blame him.
I think he will be fine as long as things trend positively. It’s only May, so he has time. 

double both of those
Fant was the top TE going into last year.  By the end of the year?  Not so much.  Why?  Because Hockenstein had displaced him in almost every aspect of the game.  Because Hockenstein had dedicated himself and made himself that much better.

So why do you think that changes this year or in coming years?

Fant was the top TE going into last year.  By the end of the year?  Not so much.  Why?  Because Hockenstein had displaced him in almost every aspect of the game.  Because Hockenstein had dedicated himself and made himself that much better.

People like Fant because he ran faster. 

I agree with you but I think saying there’s a 20-60% chance fant is better isn’t some bold take. There’s probably a 20% chance one of the other tight ends in this class outperforms both. As far as nfl performance there are a lot of factors that come into play- qb, other receiving talent, oline talent/health, their own health, depth chart, blocking ability, etc. 

Two guys drafted near each other, both very skilled. Neither team has a recent history of utilizing the te, both have middling veteran qbs, seems like a 50-50 proposition to me. 

Situation mainly.  Most people had OJ Howard as a “better TE” than Evan Engram, but Engram outproduced him year one due to having a more fantasy-friendly role on his team than Howard had.

It’s rare we get to see two prospects go literally head-to-head on the same team, so I am comfortable with saying Hockenson passed Fant this year for the “best TE” title.  And NFL execs would seem to agree with that, based on draft position.

I’ve also seen some reasonable arguments that Detroit won’t use Hock in a way that maximizes his fantasy potential, while Flacco could turn Fant into Denver’s version of Todd Heap.  That would be the basis for drating Fant over Hock even if Hock is th better TE.

I’m still weighing the choice myself.

Situation mainly.  Most people had OJ Howard as a “better TE” than Evan Engram, but Engram outproduced him year one due to having a more fantasy-friendly role on his team than Howard had.

It’s rare we get to see two prospects go literally head-to-head on the same team, so I am comfortable with saying Hockenson passed Fant this year for the “best TE” title.  And NFL execs would seem to agree with that, based on draft position.

I’ve also seen some reasonable arguments that Detroit won’t use Hock in a way that maximizes his fantasy potential, while Flacco could turn Fant into Denver’s version of Todd Heap.  That would be the basis for drating Fant over Hock even if Hock is th better TE.

I’m still weighing the choice myself.
Flacco is not going to be the QB for long.  Whether its Lock or someone else, Denver has proven they aren't satisfied at the position.

Fant may have a slightly better rookie year but Hock is the better bet if you're looking for longevity.  Which given the fact patience is required at the position, should be the case.

Well, you guys may be right.  But I find it difficult to imagine any team picking a TE that high in the draft with no intention of making that guy an integral part of the offense, especially a team that shows proclivity of modeling itself after NE recently.  And most especially when one considers how good Hockenstein is at all facets of his game.  That even goes to a team that shows a tendency to stepping on its own #### as a habit.

Well, you guys may be right.  But I find it difficult to imagine any team picking a TE that high in the draft with no intention of making that guy an integral part of the offense, especially a team that shows proclivity of modeling itself after NE recently.  And most especially when one considers how good Hockenstein is at all facets of his game.  That even goes to a team that shows a tendency to stepping on its own #### as a habit.
HockenSON.  SON.  lol

I agree but I also think TE just takes time to develop. 

Everybody hated to draft TE and everybody wanted the  next Kittle, in non premium TE league, Hockenson is late 1st (1.10-1.11 range). 

I agree but I also think TE just takes time to develop. 
I concur under normal circumstances.  Where I differ here - and very well could be wrong - is that HockenSTEIN ;)  is a different breed of cat.  I believe he’s going to hit the ground running.  Not that he’ll be career optimal, he’s still got a lot to learn.  But rather that he’s far enough along the curve and that he’s got enough game and mentality that he’s got a jump start over what is considered normal.

I concur under normal circumstances.  Where I differ here - and very well could be wrong - is that HockenSTEIN ;)  is a different breed of cat.  I believe he’s going to hit the ground running.  Not that he’ll be career optimal, he’s still got a lot to learn.  But rather that he’s far enough along the curve and that he’s got enough game and mentality that he’s got a jump start over what is considered normal.
I really hope so. 

That also keeps him off someone else’s roster and his VBD value ought to be high in mandatory TE leagues.

Sounds like a good league.

Users who are viewing this thread