What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Drew Lock, NYG (1 Viewer)

Missouri QB Drew Lock will visit the Broncos on Sunday and Monday.

It's no surprise as GM John Elway has been "smitten" with Lock dating back to January's Senior Bowl in Mobile. Lock would make plenty of sense for the Broncos, who have struggled with quarterback problems since Peyton Manning's departure after the 2015 season. The Giants hosted the Mizzou alum last week while the quarterback-needy Dolphins and Redskins have also checked in on the talented 22-year-old. If Lock does land in Denver, he would likely spend his rookie campaign behind veteran Joe Flacco before taking the reins in 2020.

RELATED: 

Denver Broncos

SOURCE: Mike Klis on Twitter

Apr 7, 2019, 9:07 AM

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports that Missouri QB Drew Lock will be taking a pre-draft visit to the Los Angeles Chargers on Monday.

Lock (6'3/228) is currently out on a two-day visit to the Broncos which will wrap on Monday, after which he will bounce over to the Chargers. Both squads -- but more obviously the Broncos -- are going to be among those who could potentially pull the trigger on a Day 1 quarterback. That path is less likely for Los Angeles, as they still have a window with Philip Rivers on which to try to capitalize.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Apr 7, 2019, 5:19 PM

The Athletic's Dane Brugler projects the Denver Broncos to take Missouri QB Drew Lock with the 10th selection in his updated 2019 NFL Mock Draft.

Lock would be the second signal-caller off the board, with Kyler Murray of Oklahoma, of course, going first. Lock has seen his stock rise as of late, and the only reason Lock may not go in this range is he might not be around. "While he needs to become more consistent with his mechanics and decision-making, Lock has all the physical tools and makeup that will endear him to Elway," writes Brugler. It certainly makes sense.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 8, 2019, 1:11 PM

Senior Bowl director Jim Nagy "guesses" the Oakland Raiders draft Missouri QB Drew Lock with the 4th overall pick.

The Raiders have spent time with this quarterback class, and Derek Carr's contract won't prevent them from drafting one early. Assuming Kyler Murray is taken first overall, Gruden and Mayock will be evaluating Lock, Dwayne Haskins, and Daniel Jones against Carr, but the defensive players at the top of the draft are good enough to make this a tough decision. Most reports suggest that Lock will be selected within the first 10 selections, so Nagy's guess isn't as bold as it seems.

SOURCE: Jim Nagy on Twitter

Apr 12, 2019, 6:21 PM

According to Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports, Missouri QB Drew Lock will visit with the Packers on Tuesday.

Lock (6'4/228) has been projected by some to have a shot at being taken within the first ten picks of this month's draft, with Green Bay picking just outside of that range at No. 12 overall. The former Missouri signal-caller improved from an accuracy standpoint throughout his college career, completing 62.9% of his passes as a senior, but there have been questions about his mechanics from a consistency standpoint. The physical tools that many NFL teams look for are there though, hence the top-10 conversations.

SOURCE: Charles Robinson on Twitter

Apr 15, 2019, 9:50 AM

NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah projects the Green Bay Packers to take Missouri QB Drew Lock with the 30th pick in his updated 2019 NFL Mock Draft.

Oh boy, this is a fun one. In this scenario, Lock would be the fourth quarterback selected, with Kyler Murray going first to the Cardinals, Daniel Jones (surprise!) to the Giants with the sixth pick, and Dwayne Haskins (surprise?) to the Bengals. It's worth pointing out that the Packers have two first-round selections, and Jeremiah gives Green Bay a linebacker at that spot in Michigan's Devin Bush. We think Lock is going earlier than this, but if he is around. It does make sense, even with Aaron Rodgers. As Jeremiah notes, we've seen them take quarterbacks in the first-round with a legend on the roster before.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Apr 16, 2019, 4:16 PM

CBS' Jason La Canfora is "convinced" Missouri QB Drew Lock will go in the first round.

La Canfora came to his conclusion after speaking with "several evaluators who have no QB skin in the game." He speculates someone like Broncos GM John Elway could consider a trade back into the first round for the SEC product. For what it is worth, that is something Elway has done in the past, while the Broncos have been connected to Lock.

RELATED: 

Denver Broncos

SOURCE: CBS Sports

Apr 22, 2019, 1:10 PM

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports that the Green Bay Packers "affection" for Missouri QB Drew Lock is "real."

Breer continues, "Does that mean they’ll take him? It does not. But if he were to take a Rodgers-style slide to the bottom of the round, I suppose you can’t rule anything out." This is really interesting, not because of Aaron Rodgers (that's too obvious), but because the Packers have two first-round picks to act on this. It would be a surprise to see the Packers use their 12th overall pick on Lock, but they could use their 30th overall pick to trade up for Lock if he slides down the board.

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated

Apr 22, 2019, 6:41 PM

I wasn’t especially enamored of this kid before, but now if I’m a GM I’m actively avoiding him.  I want a QB who will welcome a challenge and is willing to step into overwhelming odds.  A top QB should want to be the guy that a bad team rebuilds around, not a guy who just wants to be safe - even if that is what you’re drafting him into.

"I'd 100 percent rather go 32nd to the right team than No. 1 to a bad team," Lock said. "If that happened (being drafted by the Patriots), I'd be honored for sure. Tom (Brady) is obviously there for a couple more years, but to be able to sit behind a guy like that and learn from one of the best quarterbacks of all time -- if not the best -- I think that's an ideal situation for any quarterback."

I think you're misinterpreting what he's saying, which is okay because it's clunky.

I think he's taking about it from a financial standpoint. He'd rather be developed in a good situation and be paid less initially than go to a team that won't help him get better but he gets paid more.

I think you're misinterpreting what he's saying, which is okay because it's clunky.

I think he's taking about it from a financial standpoint. He'd rather be developed in a good situation and be paid less initially than go to a team that won't help him get better but he gets paid more.

Could be, but it sure doesn’t look that way to me.  Looks like he wants a soft landing instead of getting thrown into the fire.  I want a Mayfield type guy who wants to get drafted by a CLE because he’s going to be a fundamental part of their turnaround.  I want the guy who wants to be 1.01 - and it’s not because of the money.

Good luck to whomever drafts this guy.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Missouri QB Drew Lock will be drafted on Thursday evening, and that he is on the Giants' radar.

There has been increasing chatter that Lock could be the No. 2 quarterback off the board behind Kyler Murray. The Giants own the No. 6 pick but might be more inclined to take the Lock plunge at No. 17. Lock offers a monstrous ceiling but also a concerning floor.

RELATED: 

New York Giants

SOURCE: Evan Silva on Twitter

Apr 25, 2019, 12:15 PM

NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt reports that the Oakland Raiders look like a "landing spot" for Missouri QB Drew Lock.

Very interesting. The Raiders have the 35th selection, and it's worth noting that the Raiders worked with Lock at the Senior Bowl. Many believed the senior signal-caller would go in the first 32 selections on Sunday, but he's still on the board. Oakland does have Derek Carr signed long-term, but he's regressed over the past few years, and if Lock doesn't make the necessary improvements to be an NFL quarterback, missing at 35 won't be such a big deal. At least on paper, this one makes some sense.

SOURCE: Gil Brandt on Twitter

Apr 26, 2019, 2:14 PM

Broncos selected Missouri QB Drew Lock with the No. 42 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

The Bengals collected the Nos. 52, 125, and 182 picks to drop back 10 slots. Lock (6’4/228) made 46 starts in Mizzou’s spread attack, logging a 21-25 career record with an ugly 56.9% completion rate, 7.85 yards per attempt, 99 touchdowns, and 39 picks. Despite plus speed (4.69), Lock scored just nine career rushing TDs and showed minimal playmaking ability in outside-the-pocket scenarios. Per PFF College, Lock’s 2018 passer rating tumbled from 112.2 when kept clean to 56.3 under pressure, one of the nation’s worst marks. NFL draft maven Dane Brugler has compared Lock to Derek Carr. Lock is also three months older than 2018 draft pick Josh Rosen. A plus talent whose tape leaves you wanting more, Lock’s lack of repetitive accuracy and overreaction to pass rush render him a boom-bust pick. In a perfect world, Lock will sit on the sidelines behind Joe Flacco for the duration of his rookie season.

Apr 26, 2019, 6:03 PM

A “great” opening day of camp for Broncos rookie QB Drew Lock

Excerpt:

Working in a perfect environment (indoors) and against the perfect defense (none), Broncos quarterback Drew Lock was set up to look the part during Friday’s opening rookie minicamp practice.

And he mostly delivered during the 40 minutes of media viewing. He worked out of the shotgun and under center. He threw into the flat and down both seams. He completed quick slants and shallow crosses. And he had the occasional misfire.

“It felt really good because you go through this whole process waiting for the moment to finally be able to step on the field with a bunch of guys and get the football in your hands and start running some plays,” Lock said. “If I (used) one word — it would be ‘great.’ It felt great to be out there.”

Lock, drafted by the Broncos No. 42 overall two weeks ago after general manager John Elway traded up 10 spots, is getting the usual crash-course this weekend.

The biggest adjustment to now being on an NFL team? Easy — the verbiage. The drop-backs and throws, Lock has been doing some for years, the rest leading into the draft. But calling NFL plays? A wakeup call.

“It’s 10-12 words that can get scrambled up and you have words that rhyme,” Lock said. “It’s definitely different, but it will get fixed. … You have to spit the play out and it’s tougher to do that than actually knowing what the play is. It’s a little adjustment for me, but nothing that saying the plays in the mirror (at the hotel) isn’t going to fix.”

Fellow second-round pick Dalton Risner was impressed by Lock’s huddle command.

“He did great,” Risner said. “You would never have thought it was Day 1 for him. Of course, he has things to work on like everyone does out there. But that’s something Drew brings to the table — he’s not going to be a quarterback who’s hesitant or has trouble doing something like that in the huddle.”

Coach Vic Fangio moved from defense (outside) to offense (inside) about 30 minutes into the workout. His take on Lock?

“Nothing great one way or the other,” Fangio said. “He’s learning out here. I try not to make any big-value judgments here early.”

9 News' Mike Klis reports Broncos second-rounders QB Drew Lock and OG Dalton Risner could hold out into camp.

Risner and Lock were taken back-to-back in the second round, which is apparently the reason for the contract impasse. Lock is looking for a "quarterback premium" on his rookie deal, but Risner does not want to accept a smaller contract than the one signed by a teammate taken one pick after him. This should get worked out, but the rookies could miss the first few days of camp.

RELATED: 

Dalton Risner

SOURCE: 9 News

Jul 16, 2019, 11:28 AM ET

In discussing second-round QB Drew Lock's development, Broncos coach Vic Fangio said, "He's not a quarterback yet."

It's a pretty blunt criticism of the rookie, though Lock always figured to be a work in progress. "He's a hard-throwing pitcher that doesn't know how to pitch yet," said Fangio after Friday's practice. Lock showed a huge arm during his four-year run at Mizzou but was inconsistent and struggled on routine touch throws. Surely the Broncos are hoping he'll take the mantle from Joe Flacco at some point this season, but apparently he's not close to making that leap.

SOURCE: Nicki Jhabvala on Twitter

Jul 19, 2019, 2:07 PM ET

Love: his arm strength

Like: his apparent desire to get better

Dislike: his footwork and lazy mechanics

If the “like” continues and resolves the “dislike” he has some elite skills that could translate into some FF success. Also has good mobility when he desires.

Drew Lock completed 7-of-11 passes for 34 yards in the Hall-of-Fame Game against the Falcons.

Lock was mostly a deer in headlights after entering the game in the second quarter, airmailing some easy throws while struggling with his footwork. He took an unnecessary sack or two. Speaking to the NBC booth, GM John Elway said the second-rounder saw some coverages he wasn't expecting. Coach Vic Fangio has spoken of Lock, talented though he is, as someone who is miles from being ready to start an NFL game. At least playing with second- and third-stringers, that appeared to be the case tonight.

Aug 1, 2019, 11:16 PM ET

What we learned from Broncos-Falcons in HOF Game

Excerpt:

1. The Broncos got their first in-game look at their possible quarterback of the future in Drew Lock on Thursday night, and the second-round rookie's debut was a mixed bag at best. 

The second Broncos QB to see action in Canton after Kevin Hogan, Lock looked like the "hard-throwing pitcher that doesn't know how to pitch yet" he's been characterized as. The Mizzou product overthrew receivers on two of his first three tosses and lacked anticipation in the pocket on two sacks on his second drive. Lock's best toss of the night, a 12-yarder to Nick Williams, came on a bootleg to his left side. 

Of Lock's seven drives, five ended in a punt, including three three-and-outs, one concluded in a fumble and one ended on downs. He finished 7-of-12 for 34 yards with one rush for six yards.

"I was hoping for more, but not surprised," Broncos coach Vic Fangio said of Lock after the game. "He's still got a lot of work to do. Thought his accuracy wasn't clean all the time, along with his reads. But you know, it's to be expected. We've got four more games. We've got to get him ready, more ready than he is right now. "

Now we're not going to read too much into a rookie's performance on the first day of August, but Lock did little in his national window to convince his detractors and/or Fangio that he is an "NFL-ready" quarterback. His status as Denver's No. 2 quarterback come September is anything but a Lock.

"I was hoping for more, but not surprised," Broncos coach Vic Fangio said of Lock after the game. "He's still got a lot of work to do. Thought his accuracy wasn't clean all the time, along with his reads. But you know, it's to be expected. We've got four more games. We've got to get him ready, more ready than he is right now. "

Well, that was pretty much the scouting report on him almost word-for-word. But he did have a strong arm overthrowing the receiver that had about three steps running deep down the right sideline. Can't believe so many folks think this guy will be starting games this season. That's as confusing at the "top 15" draft pick talk.

Mike Klis @MikeKlis

Drew Lock bouncing back from HOF game nicely. He's 5 of 7 for 55 yards and has 8 yard run. Led team 60 yards for short field goal on his first drive. #9sports

9News' Mike Klis reports Drew Lock took all second-team reps at Sunday's practice.

The coaching staff has been vocal about their issues with their second-round rookie, but Lock officially surpassed Kevin Hogan as Joe Flacco's backup at today's practice. Hogan is now the scout team quarterback with rookie Brett Rypien sliding into the No. 3 spot. Expect to see a lot more Lock during the second preseason game.

RELATED: 

Kevin Hogan

, Brett Rypien

SOURCE: 9news.com

Aug 11, 2019, 6:23 PM ET

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Drew Lock suffered a "bad" thumb sprain in Monday's preseason game but does not require surgery.

The injury is to Lock's right (throwing) thumb. It certainly sounds like Lock will not be ready for Week 1, meaning Kevin Hogan will begin the season as Joe Flacco's backup. The No. 42 overall pick has looked extremely raw this summer, and coach Vic Fangio has described him in such terms. Lock finishes the preseason an unimpressive 31-of-51 (58.3 percent) for 254 yards (5.0 YPA), one score and one pick. He should still end up making 2019 starts, but it is no longer looking like a guarantee.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Aug 20, 2019, 2:23 PM ET

Zac Stevens @ZacStevensBSN

Vic Fangio said Drew Lock was “tracking toward” being the Broncos’ backup QB before his injury.

“He was improving daily. I saw good strides. He was tracking toward that, I wouldn’t say he had it yet.”

Drew Lock (thumb surgery) has shed his brace.

Lock threw on the field before the Broncos' Week 5 upset of the Chargers. Lock can resume practicing after Week 6. He must miss eight games while on injured reserve. Joe Flacco has been predictably bad but not terrible enough to earn an instant benching upon Lock's return. Even were that the case, the Broncos have made it clear they don't view Lock as anywhere close to ready to start.

SOURCE: Nicki Jhabvala on Twitter

Oct 8, 2019, 2:28 PM ET

Coming back soon amd might see some playing time if the Broncos keep struggling to win games. 

Had him offered to me pretty cheap, although I'm not sure I'd want to buy into this. reread the entire thread, including my own posts... all signs seem to point to bust, but theres always a fluff piece out there 

Drew Lock is "ahead of schedule" in his recovery from a sprained thumb.

Lock, who resumed throwing about two weeks ago, is eligible to resume practicing Monday, though Denver won't be getting in much practice work this week with the Chiefs coming to town for a Thursday night game at Mile High. If all goes well, Lock could be activated as soon as Week 9. Brandon Allen has been serving as Joe Flacco's backup in Lock's stead.

SOURCE: Denver Post

Oct 14, 2019, 10:40 AM ET

Drew Lock (thumb) is "likely" to begin practicing next week.

Lock, Theo Riddick, and Jake Butt are eligible to return from the injured reserve, but all three weren't at practice on Tuesday, according to 9New's Mike Klis. Only two of the three can be activated after their eight weeks on the I.R., but Lock seems like a near-lock to receive one of the two spots. The former second-round pick will slide into the backup spot behind Joe Flacco when he's ready to go. Week 9 is the likely target date.

SOURCE: Mike Klis on Twitter

Oct 15, 2019, 6:11 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread