What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Drew Lock, NYG (1 Viewer)

Broncos GM John Elway said, "We have to make sure that [Drew Lock] is ready when he does get in there, if he does get in there. We’re still in the process of evaluating that. He is not ready to go right now, I will tell you that."

The Broncos are evaluating if they will bring Lock (thumb) off of injured reserve or if they'll use their last eligible spot on another position. The fact that this is even a discussion is a bad sign for Lock, who was selected in the second round this offseason. Elway and the coaching staff have put out comments like the one above for a while now, suggesting it will take a lot for Joe Flacco to get benched this season. The front office will make a decision on Lock's 2019 status within a couple of weeks.

RELATED: 

Joe Flacco

SOURCE: The Athletic

Oct 23, 2019, 7:09 PM ET

Denver 7's Troy Renck reports Drew Lock (thumb, IR) is expected to resume practicing in Week 11.

There were rumblings Lock could spend the entire year on IR, but he's going to be healthy enough to return. The Broncos have a bye next week, but Lock is on track to begin practicing ahead of Week 11. Brandon Allen will make at least one start before Lock is ready. Lock is coming off a long layoff and doesn't have many reps in the offense, but the Broncos need to see what they have in him going into the offseason.

SOURCE: Troy Renck on Twitter

Nov 2, 2019, 10:35 AM ET

Broncos QB Drew Lock (thumb) will return to practice from injured reserve this week.

It remains to be seen whether Lock will draw the start over Brandon Allen Sunday against the Vikings. The Broncos drafted Lock in the second round of the 2019 draft, although his preseason performance left much to be desired. Overall, Lock posted a 60.8 completion rate with a pedestrian average of five yards per attempt to go along with one touchdown and one interception on 51 pass attempts.

SOURCE: Denver Post Broncos on Twitter.

Nov 11, 2019, 3:19 PM ET

Broncos QB Drew Lock (thumb, injured reserve) resumed practicing on Tuesday.

The move opens Lock's three-week activation window. If he's not added to the 53-man roster by Dec. 3, his rookie season will end. We would fully expect Lock to be activated at some point in the next few weeks and make starts, though the Broncos spent the summer talking about him like a player who was nowhere close to being ready. With Joe Flacco on injured reserve, AAF-level talent Brandon Allen will make another start in Week 11.

SOURCE: Associated Press

Nov 12, 2019, 5:49 PM ET

NFL Media's Mike Garafolo notes the Broncos have been pleased with Drew Lock's progress "behind the scenes".

Garafolo said Denver won't be shy with starting Lock at some point later in the season, but Brandon Allen is line for at least one more start after keeping the Broncos in last week's game against Minnesota. Lock deserves a look in 2019 to get him some reps before competing for the starting job next season. The second-rounder has spent this year on the injured reserve with a thumb injury.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Nov 23, 2019, 3:47 PM ET

Fangio said Lock will definitely be activated and will dress for the game Sunday. He said he will make a decision tonight or tomorrow as to who the starting qb will be per Zac Stevens 

Seems to he the Josh Allen of 2019- no one really wants him. I'm hoping he has a similar payout. I wasnt looking to buy, rather was offered a deal I couldn't pass up- it was great value at the time. Heres to a positive debut

Drew Lock expected to start Sunday. Cecil hasn’t been too high on him from the podcasts I’ve listened to. Any thoughts on the chargers dst?  Especially with Derwin James being activated

Lock had a lot of warts as a prospect (pocket presence, footwork,  throwing unbalanced...etc), but can make all of the throws and is fairly athletic. It will be interesting to see what he looks like when under fire.

Lock had a lot of warts as a prospect (pocket presence, footwork,  throwing unbalanced...etc), but can make all of the throws and is fairly athletic. It will be interesting to see what he looks like when under fire.
It'll be interesting to see how far he has come with proper coaching. I recall he had 3 different coaches and offensive philosophies in college. Hard to correct warts when you're just trying to learn the offense again. 

If he can improve those things he can be a hell of a QB. If not, he will be a Jay Cutler type. I'm curious if Denver would take a dip into tie QB class again if Lock is a disaster

Given Cecil's record, I'd say this is incredible news for Lock and his owners
So some of the comments if I recall correctly. 
this weeks waiver wire Cecil offered his opinion that lock wouldn’t start until week 16. I think it was recorded on Monday. Suggested that the OC didn’t want to start him but elway and others would be cool with it. 
also from another podcast a couple of weeks ago he said lock had issues with the middle of the field. (I hope I have it correct. Possible he was referring to Allen in that one)

So some of the comments if I recall correctly. 
this weeks waiver wire Cecil offered his opinion that lock wouldn’t start until week 16. I think it was recorded on Monday. Suggested that the OC didn’t want to start him but elway and others would be cool with it. 
also from another podcast a couple of weeks ago he said lock had issues with the middle of the field. (I hope I have it correct. Possible he was referring to Allen in that one)
Cecil is still drinking the Ronnie Hillman koolaid 

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Broncos rookie QB Drew Lock will start in Week 13 against the Chargers.

Lock worked as Denver's first-string quarterback throughout the week and is expected to be under center for his first career start on Sunday. Unfortunately for the No. 42 overall pick, both Derwin James and Adrian Phillips were also activated from injured reserve and expect to make their season debut on the opposite side of the ball. Lock's wild inconsistency this preseason has earned him a bad reputation (and rightfully so) before taking a single regular season snap, but his big-arm potential at the very least should keep Courtland Sutton afloat. Having said that, fantasy players should be running to waiver wires to stream Los Angeles' defense in Week 13.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Dec 1, 2019, 12:04 AM ET

I think Drew Lock could have a big day.  He has 100% job security and he isn't playing for a new contract.  He has zero pressure or expectations on him.  He is going to play loose and not worry about throwing interceptions.  He is going to take risks to have a great game.  We will see how much of a gunslinger he is.  And he is fast.  He ran a 4.69 40.  I think he gets 300+ passing yards, 50+ yards rushing, and could get several touchdowns.  And several interceptions.  We're not going to see a game manager today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have very low statistical expectations for Lock today.  Chargers pass D had done well shutting down QBs (Rodgers, Mahomes recently).  If Lock looks even somewhat decent it will be a huge plus.

beef said:
I have very low statistical expectations for Lock today.  Chargers pass D had done well shutting down QBs (Rodgers, Mahomes recently).  If Lock looks even somewhat decent it will be a huge plus.
:oldunsure: don't get the game, but the statline is way better than I expected.

Drew Lock completed 18-of-28 passes for 134 yards, two touchdowns and one interception in the Broncos' 23-20, Week 13 win over the Chargers.

Both of the rookie’s scores went to Courtland Sutton. The first was thanks to a ridiculously-impressive one-handed catch from Sutton, while Lock deserves credit for buying time and throwing a strike on the run for the second touchdown. He could’ve even had a third to DaeSean Hamilton if the slot WR didn’t let the ball bounce off his hands late in the fourth quarter. Lock was far from perfect; he threw an ill-advised interception over the middle and averaged a pedestrian 4.8 yards per attempt. Of course, a win is a win, and the Broncos couldn’t have done it without Lock and Sutton drawing a long defensive pass interference penalty to set up the game-winning field goal. Lock doesn’t seem likely to offer much fantasy production this season, but at least he’s proven capable of enabling Courtland Sutton to great heights.

Dec 1, 2019, 7:39 PM ET

Reminds me more of Cutler. 
His throwing and even scrambling style reminded me of Cutler, too.  But that's not a bad thing necessarily.  Cutler could have been great if he hadn't been a headcase.  Overall, I thought Lock looked great.  He did turn into a game manager in the second quarter but Denver was playing with a lead and the Broncos went with a very conservative offensive game plan.  Vic Fangio is a dinosaur.  The Broncos would be smart to hire one of the hotshot young offensive minds as head coach next year.  Lock will likely be playing from behind this week against the Texans.  I'm excited to see what Lock does without a leash.  Here is a video of every Lock play from last week.

Not watching, just seeing highlights on Red Zone. 
Looked like several poor form and back foot throws that have been for completions. 
as of right now he has 4 incompletions all game. 138 qbr. against a team that just gave Tom Brady fits for 3 quarters.

So far he looks better than anything Haskins or Jones have shown this year

as of right now he has 4 incompletions all game. 138 qbr. against a team that just gave Tom Brady fits for 3 quarters.

I agree with you, but do want to caution that he has no NFL tape or tendencies for defenses to study, yet. But I know you weren't implying he's a stud or whatever, just saying. 

I agree with you, but do want to caution that he has no NFL tape or tendencies for defenses to study, yet. But I know you weren't implying he's a stud or whatever, just saying
Was kinda a similar thing with Baker out of the gates last year too.  Lock certainly is worth grabbing in dynasty if avail (I was surprised to see he was in mine).

I agree with you, but do want to caution that he has no NFL tape or tendencies for defenses to study, yet. But I know you weren't implying he's a stud or whatever, just saying. 
Oh for sure. I am hoping he finishes decent enough for me to trade him away, maybe. Its possible he can be a decent dynasty qb2, which is all I'm looking for. 

Nobody wanted this guy in dynasty and he was completely written off on these forums, but so far he is looking pretty good. Anything better than a disaster was going to be a positive for Lock. Given the amount of dislike he gets in the FBG dyntasy community, I'm rooting for him

Drew Lock completed 22-of-27 passes for 309 yards, three touchdowns, and one interception in Denver's Week 14 win over the Texans.

Lock had as many touchdowns (3) as incompletions (3) when the Broncos headed into the intermission with a 31-3 lead. He also joined John Elway and Tim Tebow as the only rookie quarterbacks for Denver to throw for at least 300 yards in a game. The 23-year-old aced his first career road start, pasting Houston's secondary for three easy scores to Noah Fant (4/114/1), Jeff Heuerman, and Royce Freeman through the first two quarters. His lone mistake — a boneheaded attempt between two defenders that inevitably resulted in an interception at the pylon — also showed why the big-armed prospect fell to the second round in last year's draft. It was still an encouraging outing as Lock hit 10 different receivers to begin his career 2-0 in as many starts. He faces a much tougher task in an NFC West showdown in Kansas City in Week 15.

Dec 8, 2019, 4:14 PM ET

Lock could have had a monster game if the Houston offense had played better.  Hopefully, the Chiefs are leading so that Lock will stay passing aggressively.  Here are Lock's 2019 splits by quarter:

CMP  ATT  YDS  CMP%  AVG  TD  INT  LNG  SACK  RTG

1st Quarter    13     19    169   68.4      8.9     3     0      48       0      135.7

2nd Quarter   15     19    189   78.9      9.9     2     0      37       0      143.2

3rd Quarter     8      10      74    80.0     7.4      0     1      27       0       57.9

4th Quarter     4       7       11    57.1      1.6      0     1       4        1       22.6 

Users who are viewing this thread