What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Divided States of America: Where Would you Live? (1 Viewer)

Where would you live?

• Alaska - would be annexed by Canada - so you can choose to immigrate to Canada - assuming they will

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • West Coast: CA, OR, WA, HI

Votes: 35 28.7%
  • Mountain: ID, MT, WY, ND, SD, UT, NV, CO, KS, NE

Votes: 22 18.0%
  • SouthWest: AZ, NM, TX, OK, LA, AR

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • MidWest: MN, IA, MO, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, WV

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • SouthEast: FL, GA, AL, MS, TN, KY, NC, SC, VA

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • NorthEast: ME, NH, VT, CT, RI, MA, NY, PA, DE, MD, NJ

Votes: 12 9.8%

• Total voters

Sinn Fein

Footballguy
Lets say the United States imploded - the populace became too polarized and the country broke into smaller - somewhat more homogeneous regions (nothing is perfect).

It was a peaceful transition - and you have 6 months to find your domicile - where are you setting up shop?

You can consider anything you want - politics, weather, jobs, resources, etc.

Under my fictional scenario the regions are as follows:

1.  Alaska - would be annexed by Canada - so you can choose to immigrate to Canada - assuming they will take you

2.  West Coast: CA, OR, WA, HI

3.  Mountain: ID, MT, WY, ND, SD, UT, NV, CO, KS, NE

4.  SouthWest: AZ, NM, TX, OK, LA, AR

5.  MidWest: MN, IA, MO, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, WV

6. SouthEast: FL, GA, AL, MS, TN, KY, NC, SC, VA

7. NorthEast: ME, NH, VT, CT, RI, MA, NY, PA, DE, MD, NJ

There would probably be some fudging on the state borders - West Virginia could really be split into 3 different groups - but you can assume those would be pretty close to the land borders - and the governments would be set up in line with current political leanings in those areas setting the tone.

I have lived most of my life in the South East - a little bit of time on the West Coast, and a little bit of time in the north east.

But, I would have a tough time choosing to stay in the South East in this scenario.

Politically, North East or West Coast is more my style - but both have other drawbacks - being on the coasts is one..., over crowding in the NorthEast - relative to resources is another.  If I had to choose between one or the other - the West Coast is probably the better option.

But, I think I would ultimately choose the MidWest.  I have a lot of family in the area - politically, it looks like it would be a more manageable version of the current US - some left, some right, and a big chunk of moderates.  Plenty of land resources, and access to water via the great lakes.

ETA - not too sure about the weather - if climate change produces a warming trend - it would be manageable - another ice age would be bad for the region...

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably just move to Europe.  West Coast is what I picked, but it is just going to be too expensive.  Southeast would go full on theocracy pretty quickly, so best to GTFO.
I opted not to have Europe/Asia/anywhere else as an option - I figure a lot of people might choose that - but its not a practical option for most - and maybe those regions stop accepting asylum applications from the US...

I opted not to have Europe/Asia/anywhere else as an option - I figure a lot of people might choose that - but its not a practical option for most - and maybe those regions stop accepting asylum applications from the US...
True.  I'd spend down my savings in this scenario to move to the Bay Area.  It takes some restraint not to do so already :D

I’m already considering Alaska. 
This is really not a bad option - weather notwithstanding.  Going to Alaska - gives you all of Canada - not just Alaska - so you get world class cities, population diversity (in some of those cities).  You have to assume the Canada would take the immigrants - at least to a point.  I don't think they would be over-run - because I would expect most people close to the border to remain in their locality.

It would depend on the tax ramifications or cost of living. We discussed retiring to Tennessee due to the low tax burden. If the costs changed due to this implosion, I'd choose the West coast region due to the beautiful weather and landscape. 

It would depend on the tax ramifications or cost of living. We discussed retiring to Tennessee due to the low tax burden. If the costs changed due to this implosion, I'd choose the West coast region due to the beautiful weather and landscape. 
Every region would have to become self-sufficient.  West Coast certainly has the California draw as one of the largest economies in the world by itself - and has a variety of resources to draw on - but fresh water would be a concern - subject to international trade with the Mountain region... that could put some pressure on the region.

Can I move to Alaska, become Canadian, and then move elsewhere in Canada?
Yes - subject to Canadian immigration laws - they may limit immigration or put a wall on the southern border....

But - if you choose Alaska - then that gets you access to all of Canada.

Yes - subject to Canadian immigration laws - they may limit immigration or put a wall on the southern border....

But - if you choose Alaska - then that gets you access to all of Canada.
That is a good idea.  Toronto/Montreal more appealing than a lot of the NE in this scenario.

Canada is the safest as they know what they are doing and you'd avoid the #### show that these new divided territories would be.

CA, OR, WA, HI is a powerhouse though.

East Coast, yeah f that mess. 

gotta think the Boulder unchurched leftists hold strong so I’m going there.

Southwest would be appealing without Texas.  Probably the most beautiful part of the US, but Texas would dominate those other states.

Probably Midwest...grew up there and don’t think I’d like a country governed completely by what the southeast would elect.

I have lived on East and West coast and will pass.

I live 35 minutes from Canada now and have an enhanced drivers license for easy access. So going to stick with the Midwest. Even though I feel I don`t fit in the SE as a local I do feel I could live there if need be.  Mountain will have a wall around half the states eventually.

Gonna assume the remnants of our political machine would still be leading each "U.S." region. Which means progressives are still being resisted by leadership. Which means there's still some eternal debate in the public eye, just for show, about universal health care that will never come to fruition. So my ### is heading on up to Alaska.

O Canada, our home and native land... 🇨🇦

I have lived on East and West coast and will pass.

I live 35 minutes from Canada now and have an enhanced drivers license for easy access. So going to stick with the Midwest. Even though I feel I don`t fit in the SE as a local I do feel I could live there if need be.  Mountain will have a wall around half the states eventually.
They are going to build the greatest wall

Interesting to me that the midwest is doing so well.  Just a lot of people from those states?  The thought that it would be fairly moderate politically?  Winter weather alone rules it out for me...so just curious.

Interesting to me that the midwest is doing so well.  Just a lot of people from those states?  The thought that it would be fairly moderate politically?  Winter weather alone rules it out for me...so just curious.
I mean in an SHTF scenario it’s the most likely not to be completely ####ed. Weather is the least of your concerns. Steal a coat. 

I mean in an SHTF scenario it’s the most likely not to be completely ####ed. Weather is the least of your concerns. Steal a coat. 
I'd say Mountain is better in SHTF and I'd probably gravitate towards a city that would suck to try to get out of in the midwest.

Unless you are saying Canada would annex the good parts, which brings you back to the Alaska option

ETA:  Michigan could be a good strategy.

I've always wanted to move back to Wyoming but there really aren't jobs there for a guy like me.  Plus the politics would drive me nuts. Trump is strong there.  It is, however, a different brand of conservativism vs the south where i am now -IMO, folks are more likely to keep their nose out of your business than I the south.

Denver area would have everything I need.

This region is landlocked but between mineral deposits of WY and the Dakotas and agriculture in KS and NE, it could be self sufficient.

Plus, that's where all of the nukes are so y'all better tread lightly.

I'd say Mountain is better in SHTF and I'd probably gravitate towards a city that would suck to try to get out of in the midwest.

Unless you are saying Canada would annex the good parts, which brings you back to the Alaska option

ETA:  Michigan could be a good strategy.
Maybe but Mountain West is semi-arid. And w/out piping water in not sure how easy it would be to develop agriculture. 

Is anyone choosing a place where they don't live? I assumed this is essentially the same as "where do you live/did you grow up".

Also, I would group Nevada with the West or Southwest, not that it matters. 

Is anyone choosing a place where they don't live? I assumed this is essentially the same as "where do you live/did you grow up".

Also, I would group Nevada with the West or Southwest, not that it matters. 
I grew up mostly in the SouthEast - live there now - would not live there in this scenario.

This poll is alarming, 16+ million people want to move to Canada. 
Canada is OK..I am in Ontario 6-7 times a year.  The 8% sales tax plus 5% Federal tax on everything adds up pretty fast. If you are a beer drinker forget it...you will not like Canada.  Up to 44 dollars a case for mass produced Molson Canadian.

Canadian beer drinkers pay an average of five times as much tax as Americans when they buy a case of beer, a new report from Beer Canada shows.

Luke Harford, president of Beer Canada, said most brew drinkers would be aware that they are charged more north of the border, but not how much more because the taxes are hidden in the purchase price.

“Where a Canadian consumer is paying $20 in tax on a case of beer, their U.S. neighbour is paying $4,” Harford said. “A lot of that is driven by the provinces … the provincial level of taxes are 13 times greater than state level taxes.”

Ontario Liberal leader Kathleen Wynne pulls a beer at a campaign event in Sudbury, Ontario on Tuesday May 27, 2014.
The Ontario government has a basic beer tax that goes up every year, and Ottawa introduced a similar escalator tax in 2017.

And when one tax goes up, it triggers an increase in other taxes like HST, Harford said.

“On average, 47% of the price of beer – and that’s just the commodity-specific tax on beer – 47% of the price of a case of beer in this country is tax,” he said. “It’s almost half. It’s just too much and brewers are saying, ‘Enough is enough.’”

It would have to be somewhere in the Rocky Mountains. 

Idaho is very appealing 

Users who are viewing this thread