What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Auction Keeper Baseball League Needs Replacement Owner (1 Viewer)

Excalbia

Footballguy
Not sure whether to post this here or in "looking for leagues" so I'll try here first. 

Friendly 10-team AL-only auction keeper baseball league is looking for a replacement owner.  The league has been around since 2008 and has had pretty much the same membership since 2011.  It's a fun and relaxed yet competitive group.  We've had a vacancy come up after last year's third-place team left (quite amicably) due to other commitments.   

First things first - the league has an online Auction/Draft through CBS set for Sunday, April 7 at 2 PM Eastern.  You can be anywhere with an Internet connection and access to the CBS software; we're spread out across the US.  We usually finish in about three hours, maybe a little more.  

The league is $150 to join.  65% of the pot goes to the winner, 35% to second place.  Third place (including the open team) through sixth place finishers get salary reductions for the following season.  Standard 5x5 scoring.  Rosters are pretty standard rotisserie in terms of active players (14 position players, 9 pitchers).  There are also 17-man reserve rosters which can be used for injured players, AL minor leaguers, etc.  We use the Auction to fill the active rosters ($260 cap on Auction day, $300 cap in-season), and then a straight draft to fill the initial reserve lists.  $100 FAAB for in-season acquisitions.  Trading is active.  A player's salary is either the auction price or the free agent bid price, or, if acquired in the Draft, a set dollar figure depending on the round taken.  Position eligibility is 10 games the previous season or 5 in the current season.  Teams must keep a minimum of five players and a maximum of ten players from year-to-year.  Major league keepers have $5 added to their salaries each offseason. 

Some owners get very active about building a minor league roster; some prefer to concentrate on major leaguers.  You can win either way.  

Full rules, any questions answered, and the roster of the open team - which is pretty good - to anyone interested.  PM me or post here.  Thanks, all!         

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a cool league, similar to one we do here.  

I'm curious, why are you auctioning 10 days after the season starts?

Thanks.  I've always admired the leagues you guys do here so I appreciate the comparison.  

Historically, this league (and an NL-only league that inspired it) have held the Auction/Draft about a week to ten days into the season.  When I started this AL league that has a vacancy,  we considered changing that,  but with our format it turns out that most owners appreciate having a little bit of a heads up, beyond what goes on in spring training, before completing their teams.  All stats are retroactive to Opening Day. 

If anyone's interested, please let me know - the opening is still there. 

Got a few PMs - one recurring question is something I forgot to mention despite my lengthy post above.  Sorry. 

Yes, you have the option of taking over the team fresh with no keepers and $260 to spend on a full roster at the Auction.  The team also has four minor leaguers who can be kept along with one major leaguer to meet the minimum five keepers; since the minor leaguers don't count against the cap, this wouldn't be far from starting over. 

Probable or possible keepers on the roster (2019 salaries) are S. Perez, KC ($19), Abreu, CWS ($19), Odor, TEX ($23), J. Polanco, MIN ($15), Altuve, HOU ($45), E. Rosario, MIN ($26), Marwin Gonzalez, HOU (?) ($20), T. Hernandez, TOR ($15), Palka, CWS ($11), Soler, KC ($10), Bauer, CLE ($13), Paxton, NYY ($20), RK. Herrera, CWS ($16), Pineda, MIN ($6).  In our league all of them would likely go in the Auction for more than those prices due to various factors such as positional scarcity, the lack of reliable starting pitchers, etc., and you can reduce one of their salaries by $8 due to the third place prize from last season.  The four minor leaguers are Alex Kirilloff, MIN ($2), Brent Rooker, MIN ($5), Brandon Marsh, LAA ($2), and Jesus Luzardo, OAK ($2).  The minor leaguers' salaries don't count against the Auction Day cap as long as those guys are not in the majors on Opening Day.  Keeper decisions are not due until a week before the Auction. 

You can e-mail me directly at wavery2001@yahoo.com with questions.  Thanks.  

Users who are viewing this thread