What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Irv Smith Jr. - KC (1 Viewer)

All he does is block and get ignored in the passing game. A total waste of talent there.
KIrk Cousins only attempted 14 passes and the Vikings only had 52 offensive plays in total this game. Green Bay ran 75 plays.

Irv Smith played on 79% of the snaps, Kyle Rudolph 75%

Irv Smith made several key blocks that helped Dalvin Cook have a record setting day. I don't think that is a waste of his talent.

No other Viking did much statistically besides Cook in this game. Cook got the ball or was targeted on 64% of the Vikings plays.

KIrk Cousins only attempted 14 passes and the Vikings only had 52 offensive plays in total this game. Green Bay ran 75 plays.

Irv Smith played on 79% of the snaps, Kyle Rudolph 75%

Irv Smith made several key blocks that helped Dalvin Cook have a record setting day. I don't think that is a waste of his talent.

No other Viking did much statistically besides Cook in this game. Cook got the ball or was targeted on 64% of the Vikings plays.
Exactly - it was a very strange game for Vikings' pass catchers:

Dalvin Cook           2 63

Adam Thielen        3 27

Justin Jefferson    3 26

Chad Beebe             1 16

Irv Smith                   1 16

Kyle Rudolph             1 12

11 total completions in the game. That's just weird.

Exactly - it was a very strange game for Vikings' pass catchers:

Dalvin Cook           2 63

Adam Thielen        3 27

Justin Jefferson    3 26

Chad Beebe             1 16

Irv Smith                   1 16

Kyle Rudolph             1 12

11 total completions in the game. That's just weird.
There were a couple big PI penalties in there as a part of it as well.

Vikings offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak said Irv Smith (groin) is "trending in the right direction" to play the Bears in Week 10. 

It's a curious comment considering Smith didn't practice Thursday or Friday. He still has an outside shot to get the green light for Week 10 since the Vikings play on Monday night. If he can get in a limited practice Saturday, he should be able to suit up against Chicago. Like almost every tight end in fantasy football, Smith is a touchdown dependent option this week (and every week) in Minnesota's ultra-conservative offense. 

SOURCE: Chris Tomasson on Twitter 

Nov 13, 2020, 1:55 PM ET

Week 10 Dynasty Risers and Fallers: Brandin Cooks remains undervalued

Excerpt:

RISER: TE IRV SMITH JR., MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Smith’s value is rising after a two-score game versus Detroit, but fantasy managers should continue to temper their expectations for the second-year tight end. Kyle Rudolph is still averaging more yards per route run than Smith, and his 70.5 offensive grade is far ahead of Smith’s 67.3 mark. 

Smith is also averaging just 19.5 routes per game because Rudolph refuses to give up the entirety of the pass-catching role to him. It’s reasonable to expect Smith’s role to keep growing, but the pace of that growth has been underwhelming to this point. 

Because of his team’s commitment to running the ball, Smith will need to be an every-down player to consistently produce fantasy points. The rise in his value is warranted, but we could still be a year away from a true breakout from Smith.

Irv Smith (groin) won't play in Week 10 against the Bears.

Smith wasn't able to practice at all throughout the week after suffering an injury in Sunday's win against the Lions. The Vikings will have another six days to let him rest after Monday night before the team kicks off in Week 11 against the Cowboys. Kyle Rudolph is a viable streamer for those who were not expecting this news if only because he and Smith remain the only tight ends with any amount of targets for the Vikings this year.

Nov 14, 2020, 2:20 PM ET

Irv Smith (groin) was limited for Wednesday's practice.

It's a terrific sign he was able to do any amount of work after missing every practice last week. Kyle Rudolph saw season-highs in snaps (78%), targets (5), and route rate (78.9%) in Monday's win sans Smith but would obviously take a step back on the depth chart if the latter is cleared for Week 11 against Dallas.

SOURCE: Andrew Krammer on Twitter

Nov 19, 2020, 9:48 AM ET

Irv Smith (groin) is questionable for Week 11 against the Cowboys.

Smith was limited in practice throughout the week, painting a rosy picture for his outlook against Dallas. Kyle Rudolph saw season-highs in snaps (78%), targets (5), and route rate (78.9%) in Monday's win sans his teammate but would obviously take a step back on the depth chart if the latter is cleared for kick-off.

Nov 20, 2020, 1:43 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Vikings TE Irv Smith (groin) is expected to play in Week 11 against the Cowboys.

Smith's return pushes Kyle Rudolph back into a time-share on a team that is already basing their offense around running the ball. Rudolph recorded a season-high in targets (5) last week but can firmly be dropped from all fantasy rosters. Smith had seen four or more targets in three of his previous four games before suffering the groin injury. He's a deep streaming option for teams in desperate need of tight end production. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Nov 22, 2020, 8:02 AM ET

Irv Smith (groin/back) was sidelined for Thursday's practice.

It's not a good sign that he was downgraded from Wednesday's limited participation. Kyle Rudolph saw season-highs in snaps (78%), targets (5), and route rate (78.9%) in his only start without Smith this year and would surge as a low-end TE1 on onfield usage alone if the latter can't go Sunday.

SOURCE: Minnesota Vikings on Twitter

Nov 26, 2020, 1:41 PM ET

Irv Smith (groin/back) is doubtful for Week 11 against the Panthers.

Fantasy players should start looking elsewhere for streaming options. Kyle Rudolph spiked season-highs in snaps (78%), targets (5), and route rate (78.9%) in his only start without Smith this year and will again rank as a low-end TE1 on onfield usage alone against the Panthers.

Nov 27, 2020, 1:44 PM ET

Irv Smith (groin) remained sidelined for Thursday's practice.

That's two missed practices already this week for Smith, who has been out since he was downgraded on Thursday ahead of the team's Week 12 win over the Panthers. Kyle Rudolph most recently collected a two-year high in targets (8) on 78% of Minnesota’s offensive snaps in his spot-start for Smith and would again rank as a fringe-TE1 if the latter can't turn around for Sunday's game against the Jaguars.

SOURCE: Ben Goessling on Twitter

Dec 3, 2020, 12:25 PM ET

Irv Smith (groin) is out for Week 13 against the Jaguars. 

Smith was never going to have a shot to suit up against Jacksonville after missing practice Wednesday and Thursday. Kyle Rudolph will again operate as the team's primary pass catching tight end. Rudolph has a 15 percent target share over the Vikings' past two games without Smith, making him a viable streaming option in 12 and 14-team leagues. 

DFS Slant:

Rudolph probably won't see eight targets like he did in Week 12 against Carolina, as Kirk Cousins is unlikely to throw 45 passes this week as he did against the Panthers. Still, Rudolph is a fine tight end punt play in all DFS contests. 

RELATED: 

Kyle Rudolph

Dec 4, 2020, 1:48 PM ET

So where does Rudolph rank NOW with the news that Irv won't play?
i'm deciding between FANT@KC..........or Rudolph v JAX

So where does Rudolph rank NOW with the news that Irv won't play?
i'm deciding between FANT@KC..........or Rudolph v JAX
That is a tough one.

My first instict is to go with Fant because I think he and Juedy are their best skill players. KC will likely score a lot and so Fant should see a lot of targets.

Rudolph has played well and without Smith his targets have doubled with Smith out of the line up that is going from 2 targets per game to 4 targrets per game and Noah Fant is already doing that over more games. Adam Thielen will be back as well which means he will be a favored option to Rudolph that wasn't available last week.

It sound like Cook is kind of banged up though so I am not expecting them to give it to him 30 times.

I don't feel comfortable with my knowledge of Jacksonville to say how the Vikings match up against them. I do think Fant is the safer option and likely the TE with more upside this week as well unless the Vikings throw the ball 40+ times against them. I don't think Denver has much choice.

That is a tough one.

My first instict is to go with Fant because I think he and Juedy are their best skill players. KC will likely score a lot and so Fant should see a lot of targets.

Rudolph has played well and without Smith his targets have doubled with Smith out of the line up that is going from 2 targets per game to 4 targrets per game and Noah Fant is already doing that over more games. Adam Thielen will be back as well which means he will be a favored option to Rudolph that wasn't available last week.

It sound like Cook is kind of banged up though so I am not expecting them to give it to him 30 times.

I don't feel comfortable with my knowledge of Jacksonville to say how the Vikings match up against them. I do think Fant is the safer option and likely the TE with more upside this week as well unless the Vikings throw the ball 40+ times against them. I don't think Denver has much choice.
JAX D is one of the best TE matchups in the league. 

Rudolph is certainly a solid play understanding the matchup and with I. Smith out, but Cousins tends to gravitate to Theilan in the redzone. He wont NEED to throw to Rudolph as much as last week now that Theilen is back and because I doubt they'll be playing from behind like last week vs CAR.

That said, I think I'm starting him over Hooper. I think the JAX offense can do enough to keep Cousins throwing. 

Irv Smith (back) remained sidelined at Wednesday's practice.

Kyle Rudolph also didn't practice Wednesday, leaving Tyler Conklin as the lone healthy tight end for Minnesota. Smith has missed the last two games.

Dec 9, 2020, 2:52 PM ET

Irv Smith (groin) returned to practice Thursday.

Kyle Rudolph (foot) meanwhile missed his second straight practice and appears doubtful for Sunday. Assuming the latter is ruled out, Smith should soak up Rudolph's work in his first game back since Week 11. Fantasy players should consider him a fringe TE1 in what projects as a high-scoring matchup against the Buccaneers.

SOURCE: Andrew Krammer on Twitter

Dec 10, 2020, 12:15 PM ET

Irv Smith (groin) is questionable for Week 14 against the Buccaneers.

Coach Mike Zimmer said he "wouldn't count Kyle Rudolph out just yet," but that seems unlikely since the veteran was unable to practice at any point this week before being listed as doubtful. Assuming the latter is in fact ruled out for Sunday, Smith should soak up Rudolph's work as a fringe TE1 in what projects as a high-scoring affair between these two teams.

SOURCE: Minnesota Vikings on Twitter

Dec 11, 2020, 1:45 PM ET

Irv Smith caught all four of his targets for 63 yards and one touchdown in Minnesota's Week 14 loss to the Bucs.

There were reports Smith would be limited after he missed practice on Wednesday, but that clearly wasn't the case as he led the team in receiving yards and appeared spry as ever — his 25-yard catch up the seam in the second half proved as much. He was also on the receiving end of the only touchdown Kirk Cousins managed, settling into the pocket of Tampa Bay's zone defense following a crossing route from the 14-yard line. Smith now has three touchdowns in his last two spot-starts in place of Kyle Rudolph (foot) and will qualify as a fringe-TE1 streamer yet again in Week 15 against the Bears if the latter remains sidelined.

- Rotoworld

IRV SMITH'S LOW-KEY GREAT MATCHUP

Excerpt:

Irv Smith (MIN) vs. Chicago

Smith as a plug-and-play Week 15 option hinges somewhat on Kyle Rudolph’s availability after he missed last week with a foot injury. Smith didn’t play a full complement of snaps against the Bucs, but he came down with four of four targets for 63 yards and a touchdown against Tampa. 

Before Smith was sidelined with a groin injury for much of late November and early December, he was running more pass routes and seeing more targets than Rudolph. That probably means Rudolph being active this week against Chicago doesn’t sink Smith’s prospects. 

Tight ends have seen 24.83 percent of the targets against the Bears this season, the second highest rate in the league behind only the Bengals (Eric Ebron is again a top play this week against Cincinnati). The Panthers and Bills are the only teams that have allowed more tight end receptions than the Bears in 2020, and only the Jets have given up more tight end touchdowns. 

Even in a down week for tight ends against Chicago, Jordan Akins and Darren Fells in Week 14 combined for seven targets. Akins dropped an easy touchdown too. The week prior, Detroit tight ends -- led by T.J. Hockensen -- combined for eight catches on 13 targets against the Bears. In Week 13, Green Bay tight ends saw ten targets, catching eight for 88 yards and a pair of touchdowns. Rudolph and Tyler Conklin caught six balls for 74 yards in Week 10 against the Bears, with Smith sidelined. You get the idea: Chicago is being gouged by enemy tight ends. 

The hope here is that Smith -- another week recovered from that nagging groin issue -- runs more than the 17 routes he ran in Week 14 against Tampa. That should put him in an ideal spot to exploit a matchup against a Bears Defensethat’s been torched by tight ends for much of the season’s second half. 

I was listening to a Bears blogger earlier today who was very critical of the play of their inside LBs. Which was surprising to me.

I looked it up and the Bears defense is one of the best in the league vs TE based on points allowed to the position.

The Bears may be without Buster Skrine their slot corner in this game so maybe Irv Smith makes some plays.

The Bears defense is good though and the last time these teams played it was without Trubisky and Montgomery in the line up so I expect the Bears to do more on offense than the last time these teams played.

Good luck to those going with Smith this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Irv Smith Jr. On The Rise

Minnesota Vikings tight end Irv Smith Jr. will have a favorable matchup in Week 15 against a Bears Defense that is allowing the fourth most fantasy points to opposing tight ends. The 22-year-old has three touchdowns over his last three games and enjoyed one of his more active efforts last week with four catches for 63 yards, including one of those scores. The Bears have allowed nine touchdowns to the tight end position this season, including five scores over their last six games. Smith Jr. could continue his ascension in the offense this week and could post TE2-type numbers.--Joey C - RotoBaller

Biabreakable said:
I was listening to a Bears blogger earlier today who was very critical of the play of their inside LBs. Which was surprising to me.

I looked it up and the Bears defense is one of the best in the league vs TE based on points allowed to the position.

The Bears may be without Buster Skrine their slot corner in this game so maybe Irv Smith makes some plays.

The Bears defense is good though and the last time these teams played it was without Trubisky and Montgomery in the line up so I expect the Bears to do more on offense than the last time these teams played.

Good luck to those going with Smith this week.
They are third worst in the league against TE’s according to this.

https://fantasy.nfl.com/research/pointsagainst?position=2&statCategory=pointsAgainst&statSeason=2020&statType=seasonPointsAgainst&statWeek=15#pointsAgainst=pointsAgainst%2C%2Fresearch%2Fpointsagainst%3Fposition%3D4%26statCategory%3DpointsAgainst%26statSeason%3D2020%26statType%3DseasonPointsAgainst%26statWeek%3D15%2Creplace

Faust said:
Irv Smith Jr. On The Rise

Minnesota Vikings tight end Irv Smith Jr. will have a favorable matchup in Week 15 against a Bears Defense that is allowing the fourth most fantasy points to opposing tight ends. 
Yeah I heard this earlier today also.

However this is what PFR says that the Bears have given up 5.8 fantasy points per game to the TE position and that is 27th in the league not 4th.

Nevermind I was in the 2018 season when looking at that.

In 2020 the Bears are 5th worst vs the TE at 9.9 points per game.

I figured people who were saying this was a good match up were correct although it still surprises me a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bears blogger I was listening to is Lorin Cox who does the Bears locked on podcast.

I know people who follow a team closely tend to become more critical of things just because they are seeing them all the time. He doesn't think their inside LB are playing as well as their accolades. That they are not covering well and that they do not take on blockers enough, resulting in them being out of position when they try to get around blocks.

He did mention that the Bears have been doing a lot of twists and stunts this year, and when they are doing that it can put extra pressure on the LB to fill those gaps the linemen are stunting out of.

Had to decide between Goedert, Thomas, and Irv... going with Irv since I need upside, and I feel like he has the most potential to put up a higher ceiling than the other two. Looking like he could have an expanded role according to the team beat writers. We'll see.

Irv Smith caught 3-of-4 passes for 37 yards in the Vikings' Week 15 loss to the Bears.

In other words, Smith dropped 1-of-4 targets for an easy touchdown. Kirk Cousins bought time in the red zone and put the ball into Smith's bread basket, but he couldn't bring it in. It needed to be caught. Smith will be on the TE2 streamer radar next week only if Kyle Rudolph is out. The Saints aren't the best matchup for tight ends with their speedy linebacker and safety corps.

Dec 20, 2020, 4:23 PM ET

A CLOSER LOOK AT IRV SMITH'S WEEK 16 MATCHUP

Excerpt:

Tight End

Irv Smith (MIN) at Saints

Smith's matchup is -- dare I say -- hideous on paper. Lean closer to the paper, narrow your eyes a bit, and check this out: only the Bears allow a higher target share to tight ends than the Saints, Smith's Week 16 opponent. Tight ends have seen 24.45 percent of targets against New Orleans this season while the Saints' secondary largely shuts down opposing wideouts. We're chasing target volume in this space, and we might just find it with Smith against the Saints. 

After returning from a nagging groin injury in Week 14 and seeing a reduced workload (in an otherwise fantastic fantasy performance against Tampa), Smith returned to his normal snap share and route running numbers in Week 15 against the Bears. He ran 35 pass routes against Chicago, the fifth most among tight ends last week. It didn't lead to a whole lot -- three catches for 38 yards on four targets -- but Smith's usage was encouraging. Sometimes that's all we have with waiver wire tight ends. 

The Vikings heading into this game as a heavy underdog and the Saints profiling as a pass-funnel offense give Smith some sneaky upside. Smith, available in 80 percent of leagues, is championship week's premiere streaming tight end. 

Irv Smith caught 6-of-9 targets for 53 yards and two touchdowns in the Vikings' Week 16 loss to the Saints.

With Kyle Rudolph out, Smith became one of the best TE2 streaming options for the fantasy finals, and he more than lived up to the bill. His two touchdowns came on red zone targets. He also moved the chains between the 20s with Kirk Cousins in catch-up mode. Smith will close out the year as an upside TE2 as long as Rudolph misses again. The second-year pro could be an interesting late-round option in 2021 fantasy drafts depending on how the Vikings offseason shakes out.

Dec 25, 2020, 7:46 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread