What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Irv Smith Jr. - KC (1 Viewer)

I owned a ton of Irv in redraft last year and absolutely recall getting irate a few times late in the year wondering who the hell was this Conklin guy when I thought Irv had the job mainly to himself.

Last 4 weeks after Rudolph went down:

Irv: 203  snaps, 20  targets, 15 receptions, 183 yards, 3 TD's.

Conklin: 202 snaps, 21 targets, 15 receptions, 168, 1 TD.

Irv came off an injury in week 14 which probably lowered his snap count a little but even in the other 3 games everything about their playing time and production was similar with major difference that Irv was getting in the end zone more. I was worried about it this year, hoped it was a product of Irv maybe not being totally healthy to end the season, but I think I got my answer when I read this report a few days ago(which I read  about an hour of spending my first draft pick of the year on Irv)

Puked in my mouth a little when I read that yesterday. I only have him in a couple spots but that is a yukky blurb.
That is taken from Zimmers press conference over a week ago.

Zimmer did say that Smith already was a big part of their offense so thats not going to change and he goes out of his way to praise Tyler Conklin who will also play a lot of snaps.

Irv Smith has a different opinion about that which you can hear in his press conference that I posted up thread a bit. Smith says his role will increase this season. Of course he has to earn it.

These press conferences happened on the same day. Its not new news.

Conklin has been my deep-stash TE in TE premium leagues based on his usage at the end of 2020 (posted above by menobrown). Would be happy if 2021 was a similar split.

Vikings OC Klint Kubiak said TE Irv Smith is "going to have more opportunities" this season.

This conflicts with comments from Mike Zimmer, who downplayed Smith taking a step forward in the offense. Smith showed up to OTAs in "phenomenal shape," and expects his "role to increase" this season. The Vikings have talked up fourth-year TE Tyler Conklin, but Smith stands to benefit the most from Kyle Rudolph's departure. Minnesota is expected to remain run-heavy under Kubiak, with Smith likely to take over as the No. 3 option behind Adam Thielen and Justin Jefferson.

SOURCE: vikings.com

Jul 3, 2021, 12:09 PM ET

Im on board in dynasty - he showed enough flashes that I think there is a real breakout possibility and hes already pretty much in the top 12....TE is a wasteland after the few studs....need to roll the dice on someone.  

3 Observations: Irv Smith, Jr., Showcases as Receiver & Blocker

Excerpt:

1. Smith, Jr., has a monster day

There has been plenty of chatter about how third-year tight end Irv Smith, Jr., could be in line for a big season in 2021.

If Friday's practice was an indication, he might turn more than a few heads in the coming months. Smith had a monster day, showing off his versatility in both receiving and blocking.

His best play came on a leaping, bobbling, 1-handed catch on a corner route with tight coverage from Mackensie Alexander in a 7-on-7 drill. Smith jumped up and essentially tipped the ball to himself before bringing it down with his right hand.

Smith later had big gains on a pass down the middle from Kirk Cousins and on a screen pass that picked up 20-plus yards.

The former second-round pick also showed off his blocking skills in a 1-on-1 pass rush drill against Anthony Barr, getting the better of the linebacker on a pair of reps.

SKOR North's Judd Zulgad reports "it’s become clear" Kirk Cousins is "very comfortable" throwing to TE Irv Smith.

"There's been talk about how much of a factor Dede Westbrook might be as the third receiver. But it’s much more likely that if someone other than Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen put up significant numbers, it will be Smith," said Zulgad after watching the first few days of Vikings camp. Smith, who had five touchdowns in a committee with Kyle Rudolph last season, has the makings for a breakout with Rudolph gone, though fourth-year TE Tyler Conklin is expected to pick up some of Rudolph's snaps. Sports Illustrated's Will Ragatz believes Smith "can be a big part of the offense" this season.

SOURCE: SKOR North

Jul 31, 2021, 10:39 AM ET

ESPN's Courtney Cronin reports Irv Smith has "continued to shine" in red-zone drills at training camp.

With Kyle Rudolph gone and Tyler Conklin hurt to start camp, Smith is generating hype on the daily out of Minnesota. Per Cronin, Rudolph's old red-zone role "looks like it's being passed onto Smith." Rudolph played upwards of 80% of the Vikings' offensive snaps over the last half-decade, and Smith was in on about 60% when healthy across his first two seasons. With likely more snaps coming his way and more looks in the scoring area, he's a popular late-round fantasy pick at tight end. Smith will essentially be the Vikings' third wideout.

SOURCE: Courtney Cronin on Twitter

Aug 4, 2021, 6:20 PM ET

I traded a 2d rder rookie pick in dynasty league for him - likely a mid to late 2d rder.....I think that is pretty good value for the upside.  

So what are we looking for today? If he's not placed on IR and not placed on PUP then there is a good chance he may come back early this season?

So what are we looking for today? If he's not placed on IR and not placed on PUP then there is a good chance he may come back early this season?
I have seen a couple places that have said it hinges on how the surgery goes. But if I understand the rules correctly, he has to be part of the 53 first, then he can go to short term IR and can be reactivated. So they could keep him as 53 and then lose him for the season. But I think they will risk it. I might have this all wrong.

I think he's a "wait and see" if he's not placed on any list. He may only be out a couple of weeks in that case. I think I read that they won't have a timetable until after the surgery.  TE replacements are garbage on our wire anyway, so I'm going to hold until we hear more because he's only my TE2.

I guess the Herndon trade speaks to Irv's knee not being good.

Ertz is really slowing down and I think he's due quite a bit of money.

FWIW Zimmer said that they wouldnt know the severity of the injury until the doctor did the surgery. So there may be more information about that at some point soon but it is still up in the air at this point.

Was he put on season ending IR or short-term IR after the 53-man roster was made which allows him to come back?

I'm optimistic about Irv. Not expecting elite consistent production this year but if he improves on his strong finish to the 2020 season I think he has top 5 potential once Thielan declines.

I’d buy but not willing to overpay. New coaching regime that may be more explosive and also with Thielen aging, but only cautiously optimistic.

Totally on board as a TE2. Conklin was start worthy at times, and Smith is a better player than him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking at a pre-draft presser, Vikings coach Kevin O'Connell said that tight end Irv Smith is "right on schedule" with his recovery from meniscus surgery.

Smith went under the knife on September 1st, right before the 2021 season. Smith is a sneaky candidate to be in the back of the TE1 discussion if he is healthy for camp. The Vikings lost Tyler Conklin in free agency and the only returning tight end they have from 2021 is Ben Ellefson, who managed just 81 offensive snaps in 2021. Smith is participating in the team's voluntary workouts this morning as well. 

SOURCE: Chris Tomasson on Twitter

Apr 19, 2022, 1:16 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread