Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dynasty: Miles Sanders - Eagles

On 8/20/2019 at 10:14 AM, DocHolliday said:

I guess what was trying to say and should have explained more is that I fully expect a maddening RBBC in Philly.   Sanders is talented but Howard and Clements are likely in line for a fair amount of touches as well.  Does anyone think Sanders gets more than 50% of the touches?

I wouldn't bet on it, but it's possible. I think I mentioned it when they drafted him, but I don't think the Eagles want him to be a feature back this year. If he earns it and he's still humming along late in the season then by all means lean on him when the games matter most. Then you got your feature guy next year. Otherwise only circumstances will dictate a heavier than expected workload. I think he'll have the most touches by quite a bit and would also not call this a maddening situation though. If you're drafting him then you're expecting 10-15 touches per game with potential for more later.

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually, 3 runs of 70+ yards. Sanders 2020 season was an historic one, accomplishing something most Hall of Fame RBs have not. But yeah, Sanders is a JAG with no explosiveness or upside. Makes zero s

I have read some stuff on PFF that seems to indicate pass blocking ability only really matters for fantasy on the abosulte extremes. Even at the extremes it doesn't always matter, CMc's rookie year he

At first I am afraid, I am petrified.    

Also something to consider - the Eagles invested a 2nd rounder on this guy.  Thats a huge investment on a RB for a franchise that hasn't drafted many RBs inside the first 2 rounds. They will give him every opportunity to succeed as long as he doesnt put the ball on the ground (which seems to be his only potential weakness). If he cleans that up - I project a greater than 50% touch total as a very strong likelihood.  Everyone is afraid of RBBC but there's never been such a significant skill gap/well rounded player at the position under the Howie/Pederson regime.

Seems like the Eagles have the luxury of working him in with Howard, Sproles and Clement in the fold. But if the offense is struggling to move, I can see Sanders get a longer look as time goes on.

It also seems like Sanders has alleviated the biggest potential obstacle in getting on the field: pass blocking for their franchise QB. 

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, SeniorVBDStudent said:

Is Sanders being valuated based on 240 carries when its more likely that he will see 160 carries?  Sincere question.

His ADP keeps sliding up, but he's still being drafted in the same neighborhood as players that will likely have less than 200 touches - James White, Tarik Cohen, Kenyan Drake, and Austin Ekeler. So I think the important question to ask yourself is him vs. Lamar Miller. And I think the answer to that question depends on league format and the RB's you pick before getting to them.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

His ADP keeps sliding up, but he's still being drafted in the same neighborhood as players that will likely have less than 200 touches - James White, Tarik Cohen, Kenyan Drake, and Austin Ekeler. So I think the important question to ask yourself is him vs. Lamar Miller. And I think the answer to that question depends on league format and the RB's you pick before getting to them.

The answer is always Sanders > Miller, it just might not be clear with that choice until week 5 with the workload Sanders gets.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Zyphros said:

The answer is always Sanders > Miller, it just might not be clear with that choice until week 5 with the workload Sanders gets.

I agree, but I'm also pro Sanders - if you're not and you get to that point and need someone in September...I get it. I don't think even the most pro Sanders person will argue his workload will be greater at the beginning of the season. Volume matters and so do wins in September and October. That's why I intend to have my RB's locked up before getting to guys like them. Then i can forward think with my decision making and not be susceptible to need based drafting that usually ends badly.

I'm mostly interested in his production RATE in the second half of the year, and wondering about the chances that that RATE is higher than what will be generated by the OAK and KC rookies.  Currently I have OAK rookie as the candidate with the best floor (offense could be anemic but there's no competition with apologies to Doug Martin and the other scrubs).

Edited to add Montgomery as he's a share question mark too.

Edited by SeniorVBDStudent
3 hours ago, Slider said:

This is similar to the offense that made Kareem Hunt a star. Miles is gonna blow it up.

Don't see it this year.  Next year once Howard and Sproles are gone, sure.  It's going to get spread around a ton this year

55 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Don't see it this year.  Next year once Howard and Sproles are gone, sure.  It's going to get spread around a ton this year

I wouldn't be surprised if Sproles doesn't make it. Clement looked great. Better than Howard I thought.

2 minutes ago, Slider said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Sproles doesn't make it. Clement looked great. Better than Howard I thought.

I think all 3 of the above make it plus sanders.   Wouldn't be surprised if Scott or Smallwood snuck in as a 5th rostered RB too.

7 hours ago, finfansteve said:

I’m starting to think he might be the best running back from this class in the future. Maybe not as much production this year as Jacobs Montgomery etc but for next year and going forward I think this could be the guy to own

People are betting on the first 2 based on their situations now.  But situations do change.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

People are betting on the first 2 based on their situations now.  But situations do change.

All. The. Time. You can’t legislate usage. Place your bets based on talent.

Another muddled situation in Buffalo. Shady looked sharp, Gore the same plodder he’s the last few years, and Singletary has one touch. The situation doesn’t change who is the guy to own. Does anyone playing half or full PPR wanna touch Howard or any other Eagles RB besides Miles? I know I don’t.

Others have noted that with Sanders and a few other rookie RBs going after JJ & Monty you’ll likely have to weather the first month or two before you’ll know what you have. That’s OK, they’re not going for RB1 or RB2 draft capital. Take a few of them and one will be a gem.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Coach Doug Pederson told reporters Wednesday that the Eagles will continue to utilize a committee system at running back.

Specifically, Pederson stated, "For us here, it's worked. And we'll continue to (use a committee)." The only back to play even 40% of the offense's snaps in a season under Pederson during his time in Philadelphia was Darren Sproles back in 2016. Second-round pick Miles Sanders is the team's most-complete back in years and is expected to get the bulk of touches for the Eagles' Week 1 matchup against the Redskins, but Jordan Howard should also be involved on early downs, and Darren Sproles in the pass game.

RELATED: 

Jordan Howard

, Darren Sproles

SOURCE: Mike Kaye on NJ.com.

Sep 5, 2019, 8:29 AM ET

MILES SANDERS RB, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Eagles will use "multiple" running backs against the Redskins in Week 1.

Jordan Howard figures to get the nominal start for Philadelphia, though second-round rookie Miles Sanders will also be involved in Sunday's proceedings. Rapoport added that the Eagles "love" Sanders and envision him as their eventual starter. Committees are never ideal for fantasy purposes, though with Sanders and Howard both working within the confines of a juggernaut offense, this could be one of the rare timeshares that produces multiple players with standalone value.

RELATED: 

Jordan Howard

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 8, 2019, 10:03 AM ET

12 minutes ago, Johnny B. Goode said:

Philly trying to trade for Gordon cant instill a lot of confidence in Sanders owners

A low ball offer? If they lacked confidence in Sanders they would have made a more serious offer

25 minutes ago, KingPrawn said:

A low ball offer? If they lacked confidence in Sanders they would have made a more serious offer

While I’m sure the Eagles do love Sanders, I’m sure the Eagles - as with virtually any other team - would capitalize on an opportunity to improve themselves, fantasy implications be damned.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Zyphros said:

Anyone using him today?  I got him in a few DFS lineups and 1 dynasty roster that's finishing a rebuild.  Zeke and Carson at flex instead of Sanders in another league.  

It's certainly tempting but I'm going with TY over Sanders in my flex.  

57 minutes ago, Zyphros said:

Anyone using him today?  I got him in a few DFS lineups and 1 dynasty roster that's finishing a rebuild.  Zeke and Carson at flex instead of Sanders in another league.  

Yes, I have him starting as a RB2. Several outfits have him as start of the week. I have Carson but he’s starting at RB1 for me. Went WR heavy this year!

Edited by pinkham13
55 minutes ago, Zyphros said:

He looks sooooooo good.  Dare I say like another RB named Sanders in the past?  

He's basically a Sproles and Jordan Howard baby.  Really nice TD run called back for holding just now.  Going to be good. 

Had a real good TD run brought back. Looked good in pass pro. No fumbles! Got stuffed a lot though. 

1 minute ago, irishidiot said:

Was leery about Sanders because of the crowded backfield.   Congrats to all that have him.  He really looked good if not great.  IMO

Sanders looked great but Sproles looked better.  Sanders should begin to rack up FF points in a month or so.   

Miles Sanders rushed 10 times for 28 yards and caught 3-of-4 targets for nine yards in Week 2 against the Falcons.

The Eagles gave Darren Sproles a nominal start in the season opener, but Sanders got the start over Jordan Howard this week. He out-touched Howard for the second straight week, but neither back was effective. Sanders has struggled in the early going, averaging just 2.5 YPC on 53 rushes. The Lions are a potential breakout spot for Sanders in Week 3.

Sep 15, 2019, 11:54 PM ET

14 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

I was not impressed.  He looked pedestrian tonight even when he had room to run.  He should have scored easily on that draw play inside the 10 but was taken down by a weak arm tackle.

His lack of tackle-breaking ability looks like a real concern considering he's not overly dynamic. Sanders doesn't seem to have plus instincts or vision, either.

I don't mean to trash him, but he looks JAGish so far.

Edited by Football Jones
5 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

His lack of tackle-breaking ability looks like a real concern considering he's not overly dynamic. Sanders doesn't seem to have plus instincts or vision, either.

I don't mean to trash him, but he looks JAGish so far.

Agreed. Perhaps a call inquiring about Kenyan Drake is in order?

47 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

I was not impressed.  He looked pedestrian tonight even when he had room to run.  He should have scored easily on that draw play inside the 10 but was taken down by a weak arm tackle.

I agree with you and Football Jones, as I watched him play all I can think is sell now!!!!!!

Tex

was more impressed with him last week then this week, as he showed some real flash and wiggle in week one when given a LITTLE room. Didn't seem like he had any room tonight as the Falcons loaded the box and dared Wentz to beat them with most of his top options unavailable.

Didn't show well tonight, but not a very good situation either. Think the jury is still out

I didn't see anything special in him tonight, but it is only game 2.  I'd buy if a dynasty owner is panicking. Both Sproles and Howard are gone next year IMO and he should be given the shot to be the guy as long as he doesn't dud out the rest of the season. 

But wait, after last week I’m sure I heard on multiple pods and read on Rotoworld  that Sanders looked AMAZING on his 10 carries for 25 yards and one catch (or whatever it was) and he was the best RB easily on the Eagles and it wasn’t close and all you had to do in order to understand this was actually WATCH the game....because it was obvious to any human with eyes.

I’m sure another mediocre game will be explained away and he’s now the ultimate buy low candidate.

Confirmation bias and echo chambers are wonderful things. 

6 hours ago, RushHour said:

But wait, after last week I’m sure I heard on multiple pods and read on Rotoworld  that Sanders looked AMAZING on his 10 carries for 25 yards and one catch (or whatever it was) and he was the best RB easily on the Eagles and it wasn’t close and all you had to do in order to understand this was actually WATCH the game....because it was obvious to any human with eyes.

I’m sure another mediocre game will be explained away and he’s now the ultimate buy low candidate.

You seem really angry that some people expect big things from him. How come?   It's fantasy football. You have the option of not drafting or bidding on guys that you don't think are good.  Some people watch them at Penn State and know how electric you can be. Or heard the reports at camp about how he was head and shoulders above all the other running backs on the roster. We all have the right to do what we want with the information we are handed.  I suggest you simply make sure he's not on any of your rosters. And stop worrying so much about those who think he'd going to be good.  You're going to die a young man if you really stress out this much about other people's opinions. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, RushHour said:

Confirmation bias happens both ways around here. It's why you have a lot of posters in this thread piling on after a bad stat line from Sanders. Nbd. Oh, and it's not confirmation bias when you still like your guy after he has a bad game. Loyalty bias maybe, is that a thing?

Anyway, we'll have the answers to these assessments in the next few weeks. At least he has been the lead back of this 3 way committee through the first two games, so he has that going for him. Neither Sproles nor Howard has blown the doors off either, although it's not like they're world beaters.

And btw, here's what he looks like when he has room to run.

8 hours ago, JuniorNB said:

You seem really angry that some people expect big things from him. How come?   It's fantasy football. You have the option of not drafting or bidding on guys that you don't think are good.  Some people watch them at Penn State and know how electric you can be. Or heard the reports at camp about how he was head and shoulders above all the other running backs on the roster. We all have the right to do what we want with the information we are handed.  I suggest you simply make sure he's not on any of your rosters. And stop worrying so much about those who think he'd going to be good.  You're going to die a young man if you really stress out this much about other people's opinions. 

I was exaggerating, apologies that it probably came off bad. I don’t hate Sanders or anything, I just thought the hype on him all offseason (along with Montgomery) was nothing short of ridiculous and the product of twitter and podcast echo chambers. Now maybe he is a great talent or the best RB in the class, we’ll see, but I personally didn’t see anything in him as a prospect to justify the hype. Just my opinion of course. 

More generally I’m just always interested in player narratives - how they develop, who the community gets behind and doesn’t, how that translates to value (and value insulation) etc. Because it’s almost never just about talent. To me Sanders is a guy who no matter what he does on the field (at least initially) people are so convinced he’s an elite talent (whether that’s due to their own evaluation or hearing others) that his value is protected to a large extent, even in a Philly RBBC situation. That’s great if you own him, I just find it curious why he’s elevated in the dynasty community and others aren’t. 

Miles Sanders rushed 13 times for 53 yards, tacking on two catches for 73 yards in Philadelphia's Week 3 loss to the Lions.

Sanders became the first Eagles runner since DeMarco Murray to couple 50-plus rushing yards and 70-plus receiving in a single contest. All hope seemed lost early after Jordan Howard (11/37/1) vultured Philadelphia's first goal line try, but unlike past weeks, the Eagles opened the playbook and made a concerted effort to keep the rookie involved with between-the-tackles carries and downfield routes from their backfield. His 73 receiving yards were a team-high and included an (unsuccessful) end zone fade. His two fumbles from this game are an issue as he averaged one on every 30.8 touches at Penn State, but it's clear coach Doug Pederson will creatively keep him involved for his athleticism moving forward, especially while Alshon Jeffery (calf) and DeSean Jackson (abdominal) remain out. Sanders will be an RB2/3 against Green Bay on Thursday.

Sep 22, 2019, 5:15 PM ET

Bummed about the fumbles, optimistic he is ahead of schedule. I figured DET was an opportunity for him to make a statement. Got 12.5 out of him and will likely be patient a week or two before calling his number. Optimistic coach speak may still lead to more managed opportunities 

3 minutes ago, Babooya said:

Bummed about the fumbles, optimistic he is ahead of schedule. I figured DET was an opportunity for him to make a statement. Got 12.5 out of him and will likely be patient a week or two before calling his number. Optimistic coach speak may still lead to more managed opportunities 

Very bizarre game. It was both his breakout game and a big red flag game. Truly one can see into whatever they want in it. I am optimistic as I think he provides some explosion that nobody other than Desean Jackson can provide in the offense. However, he can not pull a Chris Carson next week.

10 minutes ago, Babooya said:

I agree. Sanders looked great yesterday. Seems to have great hands downfield, also. He definitely has to get the fumbles under control, but he is very quick getting to the second level.