What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Miles Sanders, CAR (2 Viewers)

It is excusable, it’s still a narrative. When you look at the data and use it as a predictive measure it’s still not good to break out when he did. He’s decently athletic but not mind bendingly so. I would say he tops out as a Marlon Mack type who has questions about his pass catching ability. I’m a Mack fan so I mean that in a good way but I’m not sure others are really going to be super enthused by that if they use a top 6-8 pick on him.
Piggybacking off FreeBa, break out age should be considered in context as predictive data. For Sanders youd be better off assuming we dont really know his. 

And I think Mack is a great comp. Similar styles, abilities and the same concerns. Only thing for Miles, I would think he will be drafted earlier. 

Do you ever read the whole thread or do you just like to jump to the point where there is a reason I remembered I ignored you? Clown. Like, I dunno, when I said this:

“It is excusable, it’s still a narrative. When you look at the data and use it as a predictive measure it’s still not good to break out when he did. He’s decently athletic but not mind bendingly so. I would say he tops out as a Marlon Mack type who has questions about his pass catching ability. I’m a Mack fan so I mean that in a good way but I’m not sure others are really going to be super enthused by that if they use a top 6-8 pick on him.”

You’re the worst.
Be WAY cooler if you want to post here. 

Disagreements is part of discussion. We wouldn't have a board without them. But don't stoop to name calling or being this uncool. 

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller compared Penn State RB Miles Sanders to New England Patriots RB Sony Michel.

While Miller was impressed by Sanders' showing at the NFL Scouting Combine -- he posted a SPARQ score in the 73rd percentile of pro running backs -- he writes that the 5-foot-11, 211-pounder's "tape puts him in the middle of the pack as a running back prospect." The analyst pegs him with a Round 2 grade for later this month.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 2, 2019, 1:10 PM

I don't see the Sony Michel comp at all. Michel is much more of a one cut and go runner, more powerful, and he was far more productive in college. Sanders is more of a make you miss guy. Michel was a much better prospect a year ago than Sanders is. The only way you get this comparison is if you look only at size and speed, which is just lazy.

I don't see the Sony Michel comp at all. Michel is much more of a one cut and go runner, more powerful, and he was far more productive in college. Sanders is more of a make you miss guy. Michel was a much better prospect a year ago than Sanders is. The only way you get this comparison is if you look only at size and speed, which is just lazy.
He's much more of a discount LeSean McCoy than a quicker Sony Michel to me.  Another guy I'd comp him to is Marlon Mack.  

NFL.com draft analyst Gil Brant believes that the Chicago Bears would be the best fit for Penn State RB Miles Sanders.

Sanders (5'11/211) performed well at the NFL Scouting Combine, and his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield could make him a good fit for Matt Nagy's system in Chicago. "Sanders racked up 1,274 rushing yards on 220 carries (5.8 yards per carry) and 24 catches for 139 yards last season at Penn State, showing very good running and pass-catching skills, which could make him an ideal candidate to become the No. 2 back behind Tarik Cohen, with free-agent signee Mike Davis sliding into the No. 3 role," Brant wrote of Sanders' potential fit in Chicago.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Apr 4, 2019, 12:18 PM

I certainly wouldn't be shocked if the Bears take a RB with their 3rd round pick (their earliest), but why do people think Cohen would be the lead back? I like him but it's not going to happen. 

I certainly wouldn't be shocked if the Bears take a RB with their 3rd round pick (their earliest), but why do people think Cohen would be the lead back? I like him but it's not going to happen. 
Why can't Cohen be a semi-lead back? 200+ touches isn't unrealistic to me. He had 170 last year. Mike Davis can easily make 150+, I think a later round rookie can easily get 80-90+ touches. 

Its hard for me to see Chicago having 1 pick in the first 2 days, and using it on a RB. That seems more like a really late pick, maybe even round 7. 

Why can't Cohen be a semi-lead back? 200+ touches isn't unrealistic to me. He had 170 last year. Mike Davis can easily make 150+, I think a later round rookie can easily get 80-90+ touches. 

Its hard for me to see Chicago having 1 pick in the first 2 days, and using it on a RB. That seems more like a really late pick, maybe even round 7. 
He definitely has a role, but IDK I am still mentally stuck on the fact he only touched it 4 times in their playoff loss. He is really small, very useful, but I just can't imagine him as the lead. 200 touches isn't out of the question, though.  I certainly think Mike Davis would be the odd man out if they do draft a rookie early(ish), but I agree that they may not use an early pick on a RB. Which is why I actually think Mike Davis could be a steal this year. I expect Davis or a strong rookie to be the one with the bigger role, with Cohen the complimentary piece, and whoever is left over with a handful of scraps.

Fantasy Lab's Adam Levitan notes that Penn State RB Miles Sanders meets all six of his minimum thresholds for fantasy football success.

Levitan lists height (5'9), weight (200), bench (15), 40-yard dash (4.60), vertical (32), and broad (118) as his minimum athletic thresholds because a large majority of running backs with top-10 fantasy football finishes met these minimums. Sanders easily meets the size thresholds, tested like an above average athlete, and was productive in his lone season as the Penn State starter. In a weak running back class, Sanders is one of the few backs with fantasy football promise. Let's hope he finds a nice landing spot on Day 2.

SOURCE: DK Playbook

Apr 13, 2019, 10:57 AM

Levitan lists height (5'9), weight (200), bench (15), 40-yard dash (4.60), vertical (32), and broad (118) as his minimum athletic thresholds because a large majority of running backs with top-10 fantasy football finishes met these minimums. 
Seems weird to have 6 things and not include 3 cone

Did a little research myself, over the past 3 years, the top 30 RB's in FFPC format (full PPR), have an average 40 time of 4.54 in 2016, 4.53 in 2017, and 4.51 in 2018.  Interesting enough to see it get faster each year.  Part of that might be because Legarrette Blount's 4.7 40 is in the 2016 group, and had 7 other's in the 4.6x's.  In the years following 2016, there were six 4.6x's in 2017 (highest being 4.68) and four 4.6x's in 2018 (highest being 4.65).  I think this might be due to the revival of the workhorse RB and the quality of prospects in recent classes a little bit  with Gurley, Barkley, Gordon, Zeke, DJ, McCaffrey, Mixon, Fournette, Chubb, Kamara all joining the league during those years.  

Either way Miles Sanders meets that mark ahead of the average for a top20 fantasy RB.  Obviously not the whole puzzle for him but a good start.  

What is the ideal landing spot for one of these potential 3 down backs? It seems like most every backfield is crowded. 

What is the ideal landing spot for one of these potential 3 down backs? It seems like most every backfield is crowded. 
Long term, I think Atlanta is the best landing spot. Unless he has a pro bowl season, and stays healthy, Freeman is probably gone after 2019. 

Short term, Tampa Bay is probably the best option, unless Ronald Jones takes a huge step forward under a new staff.

Nobody answered my thought in the Josh Jacobs thread  :sadbanana:

But landing spot wise I like the Raiders, Bears, Texans (although I'd be devastated as a Foreman fan), Falcons, Bucc's, and Chiefs as the prime one's. 

Then a few more that could lead to more like the Dolphins, Bills, Ravens, Jaguars (if they move on from Fournette soon?), Eagles.  

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares Penn State RB Miles Sanders to free agent RB T.J. Yeldon.

Yeldon was a bit of a bust for the Jaguars after being a second-round pick, so maybe this isn't the kindest comparison. That being said, the positives cited by Zierlein suggests there's some reason for optimism. He notes that Sanders has good vision, low-mileage (only one year as a starter for Penn State) and that can he create through elusiveness and power. He does note that Sanders gets "too cute" when trying to get through holes, and he has some concerns about his explosiveness. "Sanders is more skilled than explosive," Zierlein writes, "but he has the size and talent to develop into a future starter with every-down potential."

SOURCE: NFL.com

Apr 15, 2019, 3:53 PM

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah questions if Penn State RB Miles Sanders will be available at No. 53 overall.

Jeremiah says too many teams like Sanders (5'11/211) to expect him to be available at the tail end of Round 2. The Penn State back has been a perceived riser throughout the draft process, and Jeremiah now expects him to be an early-to-mid second-rounder, which would likely make him the second-highest drafted running back in the class behind Alabama's Josh Jacobs. Sanders was productive in his lone season as the Nittany Lion starter, and he checked every box as an athlete at the NFL Scouting Combine, so he's one of the safer running back options this year.

SOURCE: Andrew Howard on Twitter

Apr 18, 2019, 2:58 PM

Jeremiah says too many teams like Sanders (5'11/211) to expect him to be available at the tail end of Round 2. The Penn State back has been a perceived riser throughout the draft process, and Jeremiah now expects him to be an early-to-mid second-rounder, which would likely make him the second-highest drafted running back in the class behind Alabama's Josh Jacobs.
I feel like at least Henderson and Sanders should go before Jacobs.

some very underrated RBs in this draft
Honestly, that's how it is in any draft. The NFL has come to devalue RBs lately, and I think that's come at the cost of underrating them. Breida and Ekeler were both undrafted in the same year. 

On top of that, I think there are some underrated RBs that could find their way back into the NFL due to the exposure they get with the AAF. I really want the Cowboys to take a look at Jhurell Pressley, and I know that I will catch some flak for this, but I think somebody should give Trent Richardson another look. I'm not advocating for him to take up an active roster spot, but bring him in for the offseason and see how he does.

If you're sitting 1.1-1.4 and you absolutely need/want a RB, Miles Sanders (IMHO) should be the guy you take. 
If you're dead set on RB sure, but as high as I am on him, the earliest I would spend a pick on a RB this year (Sanders or someone else) would be 1.05.  I think it would be a mistake to have him go any sooner for any team, desperate for RB help or not.  

If you're dead set on RB sure, but as high as I am on him, the earliest I would spend a pick on a RB this year (Sanders or someone else) would be 1.05.  I think it would be a mistake to have him go any sooner for any team, desperate for RB help or not.  
I agree with you, but would wait until the draft to make any definitive ranking. If Tampa Bay takes Sanders with their 2nd round pick, all of the sudden 1.05 is too late. 

agree

you're new 1.2 or 1.3

great landing spot.

A LOT of receptions available and little talent to out perform. 
I'm not excited about the Eagles landing spot as much.  That coaching staff doesn't give me much confidence to put forth a top RB.  That and Wentz doesn't seem to check down to his RB's, but I don't have stats for that. 

meh, not excited either.

ok, maybe warming up a bit.  borderline top 6 for me.  i liked jacobs, montgomery and henderson more predraft, but have bumped him ahead of henderson because of instant opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not excited about the Eagles landing spot as much.  That coaching staff doesn't give me much confidence to put forth a top RB.  That and Wentz doesn't seem to check down to his RB's, but I don't have stats for that. 
they invested a quality pick, and the competition is minimal

There was tall this time last year of them wanting to go to 1 back but Ajayi was as fragile as good crystal 

Eagles selected Penn State RB Miles Sanders with the No. 53 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Sanders (5’11/211) turned pro after spending just one season as the Nittany Lions’ starter, sitting behind Saquon Barkley before breaking out for a 220/1,274/9 (5.8 YPA) rushing line and 24 receptions in 2018. His average of 3.68 yards after contact per carry ranked No. 8 in the nation. Sanders helped himself in Indy, blazing 4.49 with a bursty 10-foot-4 broad jump and twitchy 6.89 three-cone time. On tape, Sanders reminds of Devonta Freeman with a scrappy, jump-cutting, high-energy style that allowed him to win versus initial defenders. He is also a quality pass blocker but needs to clean up his ball security. If so, Sanders will offer three-down NFL potential. He is a quality addition to the Eagles' crowded backfield, and a problematic one for Jordan Howard.

Apr 26, 2019, 6:46 PM

they invested a quality pick, and the competition is minimal

There was tall this time last year of them wanting to go to 1 back but Ajayi was as fragile as good crystal 
Wanting to go to 1 RB, and going time and time again they go to committee doesn't exactly strike confidence.  I love Miles' talent but the Eagles are far from a great spot.  

You might say they never had a RB worthy of dominating touches, and that's fair, but he still has to beat out Howard who is very good at running the ball.  

Wanting to go to 1 RB, and going time and time again they go to committee doesn't exactly strike confidence.  I love Miles' talent but the Eagles are far from a great spot.  

You might say they never had a RB worthy of dominating touches, and that's fair, but he still has to beat out Howard who is very good at running the ball.  
Ajayi averaged like 28 carries/game in Miami (hyperbole, but he clearly was capable of a big workload).

Regardless, didn't Pederson pretty much say explicitly that he prefers to use multiple backs?  I thought I remembered that from some point recently.

Ajayi averaged like 28 carries/game in Miami (hyperbole, but he clearly was capable of a big workload).

Regardless, didn't Pederson pretty much say explicitly that he prefers to use multiple backs?  I thought I remembered that from some point recently.
I'm pretty sure you're right about Pederson.  The other part for me is that Jordan Howard is one of the best pure rushers of the football in the league.  He's great.  It's not going to be easy to get a full workload.  

I'm pretty sure you're right about Pederson.  The other part for me is that Jordan Howard is one of the best pure rushers of the football in the league.  He's great.  It's not going to be easy to get a full workload.  
this will be Howards only season in Philly, he is a FA....

Yes they are supporters of the rbbc. Maybe that changes with a more complete back on the roster, but I would assume committee until I see otherwise

I think you have to plan on RBBC this year, but wouldn't be surprised at all for him to take the reigns in 2020. 

I am quite surprised that people are still sleeping on this guy. RBBC in PHI is such a boogyman term. They had several games where they did use a full RBBC but there were almost just as many games where they had a guy getting a legitimate lead back amount of carries. Not to mention look at the names they had last year:
Clement: Probably would be RB3 on most teams. May not make the team this year
Smallwood: Good RB2 but that's it
Ajayi: With how limited this RB class is, he is still a FA and unlikely to be a starter in 2019
Adams: Promising rookie but he was uninspiring when he was given a lead back role

Sanders is head and shoulders above any of these guys. You can see many times where PHI seemed to just not have good backs to go to, so they went RBBC to try and spark something in the offense. I see Sanders' floor as 15 carries out of 25 total, which is still 60% of the workload. Todd Gurley got 69% last year in LA.

I am quite surprised that people are still sleeping on this guy. RBBC in PHI is such a boogyman term. They had several games where they did use a full RBBC but there were almost just as many games where they had a guy getting a legitimate lead back amount of carries. Not to mention look at the names they had last year:
Ajayi: With how limited this RB class is, he is still a FA and unlikely to be a starter in 2019
Adams: Promising rookie but he was uninspiring when he was given a lead back role

Sanders is head and shoulders above any of these guys. You can see many times where PHI seemed to just not have good backs to go to, so they went RBBC to try and spark something in the offense. I see Sanders' floor as 15 carries out of 25 total, which is still 60% of the workload. Todd Gurley got 69% last year in LA.
Howard?

Forgot about him. Thanks. Was just looking at 2018 volume.

I still think it's very possible that Sanders gets at least 60% of the workload. I'm not too scared of Howard. He has minimal draft investment and is a FA in 2020. He could do well in 2019 but I don't see Philly paying him. I think he takes on the Blount role TBH, so it could limit Sanders' goal line work. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it’s got a lot more to do with Pederson being unreadable as a HC more than anything else.  You just can’t reliably predict how he’s going to handle his RBs and production doesn’t always seem to enter the equation with him.

The fact that Wendell Smallwood even made the roster is atrocious.  The fact they didn't use Josh Adams more down the stretch is astounding.  The fact they didn't use Clement in crucial situations when he proved he could is .... what's another "a" word that is similar to atrocious and astounding?

That coaching staff has proved to me that they don't know what they want, or what to do with the talent they have.  It's less about the RBBC for me and more a lack of faith in the coaching staff and the offensive scheme.  I honestly don't know what Wentz is since he's always hurt.  No identity = lost coaching staff to me. 

The fact that Wendell Smallwood even made the roster is atrocious.  The fact they didn't use Josh Adams more down the stretch is astounding.  The fact they didn't use Clement in crucial situations when he proved he could is .... what's another "a" word that is similar to atrocious and astounding?

That coaching staff has proved to me that they don't know what they want, or what to do with the talent they have.  It's less about the RBBC for me and more a lack of faith in the coaching staff and the offensive scheme.  I honestly don't know what Wentz is since he's always hurt.  No identity = lost coaching staff to me. 
Abysmal.

Antidisestablishmentarinist?

Eagles’ GM Howie Roseman on Philadelphia’s second-round pick, Penn St. RB Miles Sanders: “Miles was a staff favorite, a coaching staff favorite, a personnel staff favorite, all of us, front office favorite....We think he's a special talent and a perfect fit for our offense.”

Users who are viewing this thread