What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Parris Campbell, NYG (2 Viewers)

cloppbeast

Footballguy
After searching for a thread for Parris Campbell, I found nothing. This is surprising following his combine:

6'0"

205lbs

Hands: 9.5"

Arms: 32.25"

Bench: 11 reps

40: 4.31 sec

Vertical: 40"

Broad: 135"

Short Shuttle: 4.03 sec

His college football stats aren't inspiring, perhaps somebody more analytically astute could provide some insight. There's a lot to like about a fast, not tiny receiver from a big program.

Last edited by a moderator:
was primarily a high school and early college HB ..... been true WR for only 2-1/2 - 3 years ..... he does not get caught from behind

reminds me of Percy Harvin and/or Emmanuel Sanders

Senior Bowl director Jim Nagy called Ohio State WR Parris Campbell a top-10 athlete in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Expect Campbell (6'1/208) to be near or at the top of the 40-yard dash times at the NFL Combine next week with Bruce Feldman reporting that Campbell is capable of running sub-4.4. The speedster also has hops, jumping 40-inches during vertical jump testing according to reports. He'll need elite scores like those to vault him inside the top-10 at his position, or else he risks falling into Day 3. In The Draft Network's Trevor Sikkema's mock draft, Campbell fell to Round 6.

Feb 24, 2019, 5:02 PM

Per Pro Football Focus, Ohio State WR Parris Campbell led the Big 10 in yards per route run.

Campbell (6'1/208) averaged 3.47 yards per route run, besting Minnesota WR Tyler Johnson, Ohio State's K.J Hill, Nebraska's JD Spielman, and Purdue's Rondale Moore. Campbell's draft stock is all over the place with Bleacher Report's Matt Miller projecting him to be selected in the early second round while The Draft Network's Trevor Sikkema mocked him in Round 6. The upcoming NFL Scouting Combine should give us more clarity on where the speedster will be selected in the NFL Draft.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus on Twitter

Feb 17, 2019, 12:04 PM

Questionable hands, underdeveloped route running, I'll pass until late in the 3rd round of rookie drafts.
He won't make it til the 3rd round unless you live in Ann Arbor.

OSU never used him as an outside receiver going downfield. He was a gadget player/slot receiver doing a lot of crossing routes, screen passes, and some jet sweeps. Most of the actual routes he ran were over the middle Julian Edelman stuff. He was inconsistent, but he also showed he could nail it too. He can learn to run the routes, no question. Concerns are whether he can adjust to the ball in the air, come down with contested catches, and catch back shoulder throws.

The kid can burn for days and I can't tell you how many times some defender at top speed looked like he had an angle and Parris turned on the gas and the defender was left wondering how that just happened. Parris will be just fine in the NFL.

He is underrated in this draft class. So, by all means, sleep on Parris Campbell.
Tavon Austin part 2?

Tavon Austin part 2?
Very similar college usage. Campbell is closer to average NFL height and weight though, so he has that going for him. And he's shown he can run some good routes out of the slot.

Austin couldn't learn the additional skills needed for a well rounded receiver. You're hoping Campbell can. 

Very similar college usage. Campbell is closer to average height and weight though, so he has that going for him. And he's shown he can run some good routes out of the slot.

Austin couldn't learn the additional skills needed for a well rounded receiver. You're hoping Campbell can. 
I'm not convinced Campbell can run good routes from anywhere. 

An anonymous AFC Personnel executive believes Ohio State WR Parris Campbell is "kind of raw."

The executive doesn't blame Campbell (5'11/205) though and instead cites Urban Meyer's system which "makes it hard to evaluate receivers." He specifically notes that "Mike Thomas was just okay in their offense and then he gets to the pros and he's great." The exec believes the same could happen with Campbell which makes him tougher to project. Campbell was one of the top performers at the combine, producing an athletic composite score in the 99.8th percentile. NFL.com's Lance Zierlein compares him to Percy Harvin, an electric but raw talent coming out of college. He'll likely be a mid-Day 2 selection.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 13, 2019, 8:16 PM

I think you can teach aspects of route running like footwork, timing, consistency, etc. Not freelancing. Learning how to execute all the routes, not just a go/hook/stop and go. Knowing the correct angle to break at on a post, knowing the correct time to break on an out or cross. 

Depending on his actual cost he may be a useful NFL player.  Perhaps even a plus one.  But it'll take a very unique situation to expect him to potentially develop into something useful in our game.  I wrote his name down on my prelim list, but I expect to delete it post-draft.

Yes, but I like them somewhat polished coming into the league.
It's a question of NFL readiness versus pure ability. Is it really fair to expect a guy to be polished having played receiver for only 2 seasons in a read option offense? And he was pigeon holed into a specific role, a role which isn't too useful in the NFL. 

I think, when given the chance he showed he can run good routes, but he wasn't always consistent with it. Does he have the fluidity, coordination, and motivation to continue to improve  - I guess that's the question. 

Ohio State WR Parris Campbell averaged 8.9 yards after the catch in 2018.

That's a ridiculous number to average per reception, but it's a credit to his Percy Harvin-like athleticism. Ohio State opted to use Campbell as a low-aDOT receiver, catching short crosses and slants to get him in space. A couple of Campbell's 12 touchdowns came on jet sweeps, something the Rams made usage of in 2018. After running a 4.31-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine, Campbell is expected to draw a second- or third-round pick, even if some NFL executives think Campbell is "kind of raw."

SOURCE: PFF College

Mar 16, 2019, 9:36 AM

Ohio State WR Parris Campbell had an average depth of target of 4.5 yards.

That's absurdly low. For reference, the lowest average depth of target (aDOT) in the NFL last season was 5.7 yards (min. 50 targets). The Buckeyes opted to utilize Campbell's 4.31 speed on shallow crosses and sweeps instead of sending him downfield. NFL teams will need to figure out if Campbell can project as a downfield weapon since he wasn't tasked with that often at Ohio State, but he doesn't have to do so to have value. The Patriots, Rams, and others had success on quick-hitting routes, and Campbell has plenty of upside in that role.

SOURCE: Ben Fennell on Twitter

Mar 22, 2019, 4:20 PM

Rare to see that kind of speed coming from the Big10.

The conference has never had a sub10.00 sprinter in it's long history. TCU has had 8,

ESPN's Adam Schefter called Ohio State WR Parris Campbell a "projected first-round pick."

Campbell (5'11/205) has predictably ascended into the Day 1 or early Day 2 discussion after running the 40-yard dash in 4.31 seconds. However, the speedster is by no means a perfect prospect despite the buzz. Campbell was used in a very unique way at Ohio State, only running short crossing routes and slants to the tune of a 5.7-yard average depth of target. Campbell has drawn comparisons to Percy Harvin and Curtis Samuel, which goes to show how boom-or-bust he is as a prospect. The upside is obviously there, but whichever team drafts him needs to game plan around his impressive strengths instead of putting him in a role he's never played in.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 28, 2019, 5:52 PM

And like Samuel I doubt he'll pay quick returns. I'd not consider him in the 1st of a rookie draft, maybe not until late 2nd actually 

And like Samuel I doubt he'll pay quick returns. I'd not consider him in the 1st of a rookie draft, maybe not until late 2nd actually 
Right. Spends his whole rookie contract learning to play wr.

I'll say this though, in the right offense he could be useful right off. Maybe Philadelphia, Kansas City, or Chicago.

I'm not seeing the Curtis Samuel comparisons at all. Samuel was a RB, who was moved to WR in the NFL, he had more carries than catches all but 1 college season, 2015, where he essentially was a 3rd down RB behind Ezekiel Elliott, and had only 39 total touches.

Campbell has been a WR his entire college career, and had almost 100 catches last year. Yes, his average depth of target was very low, but he wasn't a gadget player. He was more like Jarvis Landry in Miami, only multiple steps faster. 

I agree that I wouldn't take Campbell in round 1, but about 50 picks in, I'd be glad too. Fantasy wise, I think he's on the round 1-2 borderline depending on landing spot. 

Right. Spends his whole rookie contract learning to play wr.

I'll say this though, in the right offense he could be useful right off. Maybe Philadelphia, Kansas City, or Chicago.
Is that really accurate about Samuel?  He didn't do anything rookie year and missed part of the season with ankle surgery. His second year he had 600/7. While it isn't great, it doesn't stand out that he has some exceptional NFL learning curve relative to most 2nd year WRs taken in the first 2-3 rounds of the draft. 

Is that really accurate about Samuel?  He didn't do anything rookie year and missed part of the season with ankle surgery. His second year he had 600/7. While it isn't great, it doesn't stand out that he has some exceptional NFL learning curve relative to most 2nd year WRs taken in the first 2-3 rounds of the draft. 
Compared to some recent wrs you could call 600 yards in year 2 a steep learning curve. 

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller offered up Percy Harvin as Ohio State WR Parris Campbell's NFL comparison.

Campbell (5'11/205) has the top-end speed to be an impact pass-catcher in vertical routes, and he can also be a contributor on special teams. However, in the eyes of Miller one of the Buckeye's weaknesses is that he's "more of a gadget guy than a true wide receiver," and he'll need some time to "develop his passing tree." Thanks to his performance at the NFL Scouting Combine and the upside, there has been some discussion that Campbell could sneak into the back end of the first round.

Apr 3, 2019, 8:52 PM

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo passes along that Ohio State WR Parris Campbell is taking a predraft visit to the Philadelphia Eagles on Tuesday.

Campbell (5'11/205) is a potential early Day 2 target for the Eagles, who own a pair of second round selections. It's not impossible that the OSU speedster makes his way into the first day of selections, but that would be something of a surprise. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller comped Campbell to Percy Harvin in his recent scouting breakdown of the big-play threat.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Apr 9, 2019, 8:17 AM

Snorkelson said:
Lol I was just going to ask if Percy harvin was an apt comparison. 
I see a lot more Curtis Samuel than Percy Harvin. Parris averaged a very low 11.8 ypc where as Harvin was slightly above average at 16.

The Athletic's Dane Brugler was "sold" on Ohio State WR Parris Campbell's downfield ability during positional drills at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Campbell (5'11/205) has zero in-game experience when it comes to working downfield. At Ohio State, Campbell was assigned drag routes, screens, sweeps, and slants as his primary routes, so there is concern about how versatile of a receiver Campbell can be at the next level. Brugler, however, doesn't share those same concerns because of how he tracked deep balls at the combine. Considered a top-64 pick, Campbell will need to be able to work downfield to be a worthwhile selection. Projecting that makes Campbell a tough evaluation.

SOURCE: Dane Brugler on Twitter

Apr 12, 2019, 7:15 PM

Fantasy Labs' Adam Levitan notes that Ohio State's Parris Campbell met 6-of-6 wide receiver minimum thresholds for fantasy football success.

Campbell (5'11/205) will be one of the best athletes on the field immediately. At the NFL Scouting Combine, Campbell ran a 4.31-second 40-yard dash and matched that with 40-inch vertical jump. If there's a knock against Campbell, it was how limited his routes were at Ohio State, but The Athletic's Dane Brugler is "sold" on Campbell's ability to win on deep routes despite rarely running them for the Buckeyes. Campbell is an interesting case study on how college route trees translate to the NFL.

SOURCE: DK Playbook

Apr 14, 2019, 12:52 PM

PARRIS CAMPBELLWR, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah would be surprised if the Baltimore Ravens don't trade down in the first round.

Jeremiah, who knows the organization as well as anyone, says the Ravens value second-round picks a lot, and he believes that they'd want to trade down to grab a second-rounder. One trade-down option that Jeremiah brings up is Ohio State WR Parris Campbell. On paper, this would be an excellent fit for quarterback Lamar Jackson as Campbell wins after the catch as a low aDOT weapon, but for fantasy purposes, it would be one of the worst landing spots for the 4.31-second speedster.

SOURCE: Andrew Howard on Twitter

Apr 18, 2019, 6:04 PM

He goes to Baltimore and I'll take him off my board. He lands in GB and I'd take him with the 1.01 pick. 

just odd he had one good season, his senior season, when hes supposed to beat up on guys 3 or 4 years younger than him

Close to taking a very hard pass on him

wasnt very involved in college in spite of superior athleticism. limited route tree. a recipe for a fantasy bust, but more valuable as an NFL wr

He goes to Baltimore and I'll take him off my board. He lands in GB and I'd take him with the 1.01 pick. 
Really, 1.1? I can't help but think he has a very limited ceiling regardless of what team ends up with him. Like, best case, he's a faster Jarvis Landry, worst case, he's a bigger Tavon Austin.

just odd he had one good season, his senior season, when hes supposed to beat up on guys 3 or 4 years younger than him

Close to taking a very hard pass on him
Prior to knowing a landing spot, he's not a top-10 WR on my board. I've gotten lower on him, the more I watched him.

Really, 1.1? I can't help but think he has a very limited ceiling regardless of what team ends up with him. Like, best case, he's a faster Jarvis Landry, worst case, he's a bigger Tavon Austin.
Percy Harvin is a better comp imo. 

Percy Harvin is a better comp imo. 
I don't see it. Campbell doesn't have that level of physicality. Harvin ran like he was 240 once the ball was on his hands, and pin balled off defenders, in addition to running away from them, I think Campbell only runs away from them. Harvin probably would have been a better RB than WR, if his health would have allowed it.

NFL Draft Scout's Rob Rang predicts that Ohio State WR Parris Campbell is the top wideout selected on Thursday.

We've heard some first-round talk for Campbell, and considering there are some who believe that only one -- possibly none -- player at the position goes first, it's not out of the question. That being said, most have predicted someone like Oklahoma's Marquis Brown or Ole Miss's D.K. Metcalf going first. Don't be surprised if a team like the Seahawks or Ravens select Campbell on Thursday.

SOURCE: NFL Draft Scout

Apr 25, 2019, 5:23 PM

Colts selected Ohio State WR Parris Campbell with the No. 59 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Campbell (6’0/205) immediately morphed into one of the nation’s most-productive wideouts when the Buckeyes transitioned from J.T. Barrett to Dwayne Haskins in 2018, erupting for an 88/1,062/12 (12.1 YPR) stat line and leading all B1G receivers in yards per route run (3.47). Even as a high school track star who averaged over 30 yards per kick return at Ohio State and blazed 4.31 at the Combine, Campbell was mainly a gadget-slot and flat-route receiver for Urban Meyer, never challenging downfield. Essentially a bigger Curtis Samuel, Campbell must lengthen his route tree to maximize his playmaking potential, but he has plenty of it. The Colts have an abundance of slot talents.

Apr 26, 2019, 7:12 PM

He looks good, any particular reason why he wasn't talked about consistently as a top 3 rookie wideout on the boards? 

Luck will find a way to get him the ball and do it often.  Hilton's days are becoming numbered.  Parris in Indy is looking like arguably the best opportunity of any rookie WR.  I'm buying in the 1st,
J.J. with Wentz is another.

Tex

Users who are viewing this thread