What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Influencers (1 Viewer)

Scott Tenorman

Footballguy
I've heard this term a lot lately.  What the actual ####?  Explain this to me like I'm Shuke, because I am Shuked. :whoosh:

Who is listening to these dolts?

People with a lot of followers on social media.

Not as many as corporations believe  <and/or> way more than common sense should dictate.

Ninja is a video game streamer and influencer. EA recently paid him $1 million to stream the newly released game called  Apex. This helped make millions of gamers instantly aware of this new game, which to my knowledge Apex is completely unadvertised otherwise.

:lol:  You're getting it. Now imagine Steve Garvey had his own mailing list of 200,000 addresses where every week he sent out letters writing about his favorite baseball/sports related gear.
Why would I want Steve Garvey to tell me about his favorite gear?

Lighten up fellas, I am an influencer and I train people to be as well.

An influencer is just someone with a lot of followers on any social media platform who is willing to take cash to include products in their posts. My client list over the last few years has included Coke, Wal Mart, Dr. Pepper, Budweiser, Guinness, about 6 different grill companies, just about every major BBQ sauce, Kingsford, Smithfield Pork, Reynolds Wrap, Prairie Fresh Pork, and a bunch more that I can't think of right now. I also get paid to go to different events around the world to promote them like Memphis in May, the American Royal and MeatopiaUK. 

As an influencer in the BBQ/grilling space, influencing is really slow right now as nobody wants to push BBQ sauce or grills while it is technically still winter, but I have contracts in hand for two different year long commitments and am starting to negotiate with other brands about shorter term stuff. 

Others have touched on it - it’s mostly about advertising.  I’m sure most people are wondering how person X became an influencer and to that I’m :shrug:  but once they are it’s no different than a commercial on TV or radio.  Trying to get your product/service in front of the most people in the cheapest way.

Advertising (the industry I am in) has changed significantly since traditional print media went/is going away. When social media really poped, you had people/followers who essentially were living is silos of their personal interests and opinions. 

As with anything personal, there were people who rose to the top of their silo based on the content, personality and overall alignment of the other's interests and they gain a substantial audience for that. 

Companies realized that they can have these people push their product that aligns to an already built-in audience....hence the 'influencer' was born. 

In terms of ROI, it is significantly higher (if you choose the right influencer) vs old traditional media whereas you pay to put an ad in the newspaper. The ad cost is based on total circulation (say a 50k run), however, say only 20% of the subscribers will realistically have interest in your ad, and say only 10% will take action on it (round generalizations of course). Same is true for TV, you advertise on channels hoping the right audience is watching at that 30 second moment....you are casting a very wide net and lucky to just catch only a few fish. 

Now, with an influencer, you pay them to showcase your product in their posts where 100% of their audience is in tune with this person's interests and content, say 75% of them will see it in their newsfeed and then a high % from there that will possibly engage with it. 

The Kardashians, i.e. social media's Ophra, are the model for this pay-per-post method of advertising, however, their costs are astronomical, but their audience is as well. It is out of reach for most companies, so that introduced a new category, the "Micro-influencer" who has a much smaller audience, but is more targeted and significantly cheaper. 

Others have touched on it - it’s mostly about advertising.  I’m sure most people are wondering how person X became an influencer and to that I’m :shrug:  but once they are it’s no different than a commercial on TV or radio.  Trying to get your product/service in front of the most people in the cheapest way.

content....lots of it...and generally on a very specific category. 

Lighten up fellas, I am an influencer and I train people to be as well.

An influencer is just someone with a lot of followers on any social media platform who is willing to take cash to include products in their posts. My client list over the last few years has included Coke, Wal Mart, Dr. Pepper, Budweiser, Guinness, about 6 different grill companies, just about every major BBQ sauce, Kingsford, Smithfield Pork, Reynolds Wrap, Prairie Fresh Pork, and a bunch more that I can't think of right now. I also get paid to go to different events around the world to promote them like Memphis in May, the American Royal and MeatopiaUK. 

As an influencer in the BBQ/grilling space, influencing is really slow right now as nobody wants to push BBQ sauce or grills while it is technically still winter, but I have contracts in hand for two different year long commitments and am starting to negotiate with other brands about shorter term stuff. 
Ok but if everybody knows you’re just being paid to shill crappy bbq sauce and beer then why are they listening to you?

edit: this isn’t a shot at you I guess as much the industry or whatever it is. 

Last edited by a moderator:
No different than celebrities in traditional advertising.   Influencers are celebrities to a certain generation.    

content....lots of it...and generally on a very specific category. 
Exactly. I call it the social media beast. You have to feed it high quality content for it to grow and the more you do the more it grows.

I went to social media kicking and screaming. My wife convinced me I could promote my website with it, so I did. I sucked at FB and Twitter, was mediocre at best at Pinterest and had no interest in Instagram at all because it didn't drive traffic to my site which was my chief form of side income. But then I read about guys getting paid sick cash and getting free travel with Instagram so I threw myself at it and now have three different businesses that are based on the platform. I don't rely on any of them for my primary income, as I don't know how long this will last and the platform could pull the plug at any moment, but while it's so lucrative, I'm going to get every nickel I can. 

Ok but if everybody knows you’re just being paid to shill crappy bbq sauce and beer then why are they listening to you?
because they trust him. He has developed a relationship with his followers, and they trust that he's not pushing crap just to cash out. Plus with SM, he has the opportunity to give his opinion about the product, paid or not. 

But honestly, every TV commercial is 'selling you something' do you really believe that 9 out of every 10 Dr's believe in XX? Its all about putting your product in front of the most amount of interested (key word) eyeballs. 

because they trust him. He has developed a relationship with his followers, and they trust that he's not pushing crap just to cash out. Plus with SM, he has the opportunity to give his opinion about the product, paid or not. 

But honestly, every TV commercial is 'selling you something' do you really believe that 9 out of every 10 Dr's believe in XX? Its all about putting your product in front of the most amount of interested (key word) eyeballs. 
Of course not. I guess if I was following somebody and they started to talk about Miller lite or whatever I’d be out. But I’m not in to begin with so what do I know. 

Hello, exactly.  Haven't we learned our lesson from past "celebrity" endorsements?  They usually don't care about the product, they are just making bank off of stupid people.  I guess no shortage of those.

My favorite is Snoop Dogg pushing boner pills.  "Sexual performance issues are more common than you think.  Maybe not for me, but probably for you."

Hey!  :rant:

Also, this sounds exactly like what he’s doing. 
not true....I have a few friends who could be considered minor influencers and they pick and choose what they endorse and will turn down offers. 

The relationships are earned over a very long period of time, and they will not risk that over a product they do not believe in b/c if it became SOP, then they would lose followers and their reputation. THey would rather turn down 1 crappy product for the potential of 2-more products they believe in and will help grow their community. 

not true....I have a few friends who could be considered minor influencers and they pick and choose what they endorse and will turn down offers. 

The relationships are earned over a very long period of time, and they will not risk that over a product they do not believe in b/c if it became SOP, then they would lose followers and their reputation. THey would rather turn down 1 crappy product for the potential of 2-more products they believe in and will help grow their community. 
Again though...he said he advertises for coke, Budweiser and Walmart and a bunch of chain bbq sauces. That stuff is crap. I’m not knocking the guy, get your money, god knows I would, but why would anybody keep following? 

Hello, exactly.  Haven't we learned our lesson from past "celebrity" endorsements?  They usually don't care about the product, they are just making bank off of stupid people.  I guess no shortage of those.

My favorite is Snoop Dogg pushing boner pills.  "Sexual performance issues are more common than you think.  Maybe not for me, but probably for you."

Hey!  :rant:
@Limp Ditka

Again though...he said he advertises for coke, Budweiser and Walmart and a bunch of chain bbq sauces. That stuff is crap. I’m not knocking the guy, get your money, god knows I would, but why would anybody keep following? 
I can’t speak for him, but millions of people shop at those stores and buy those products, so they must be doing something right.

But it’s not that every post he (prob) makes is shilling a product. I’m sure he creates enough organic content to keep his community engaged.  That’s why they follow him.  The sponsored posts are often just the commercials in between shows.   

Also I forgot to mention above that the rules have changed regarding this and you have to say that this is a “sponsored post”   So at lest there is transparency there

Reminds me of something.  I started following Paige Renee on instagram, cause, well, shes smoking hot.  

In less than 5 minutes after I followed her, I was followed by some other hot golf lady.....somehow she had a line into who followed Paige and, trying to pump up her numbers, followed me...I'm guessing so I would follow her right back.  I didn't  

I checked the next day and she no longer followed me.    

I'm surprised nobody has talked about going viral and the "influenz-ers" 

Because it's viral. Get it? 

Huh? 

Dang.  

On a serious note, Kylie Jenner is a billionaire. Kill me.  

Basically a paid spokesperson for products who just post ads on social media while pretending it was just an organic post with no money behind it.

Why do brands pay to put their crappy BBQ sauce and beer in commercials. The people in those commercials are just paid to shill crappy BBQ sauce and beer. I don't work with any brands that I wouldn't actually use myself. Most BBQ sauce is good and better than what most people can make at home. And quite frankly, I don't have time to make my own sauces so I'm perfectly content with buying it. 

All advertising is shilling some product. People come to see the stuff I share from around the world as well as the stuff I cook. Brands like to be associated with someone who is actually cooking in his backyard and consumers want to see that as well. Consumers are more inclined to appreciate that content over stuff produced in a studio. 

Because I fill in between that stuff with lots of fantastic content. I don't beat my following over the head with any paid content. I post multiple times a day and rarely if ever post a paid post more than once every three days. Sometimes, right before major grilling holidays I post two consecutive days, but that is rare. 

Also, why post for Budweiser, Coke and Wal Mart? Because they have budgets. Boutique items that serve small markets don't. So are you going to say you've never had a Coke, shopped at Wal-Mart or enjoyed an Anheuser Busch product? Because I bet you've done all three. 

Because I fill in between that stuff with lots of fantastic content. I don't beat my following over the head with any paid content. I post multiple times a day and rarely if ever post a paid post more than once every three days. Sometimes, right before major grilling holidays I post two consecutive days, but that is rare. 

Also, why post for Budweiser, Coke and Wal Mart? Because they have budgets. Boutique items that serve small markets don't. So are you going to say you've never had a Coke, shopped at Wal-Mart or enjoyed an Anheuser Busch product? Because I bet you've done all three. 
Well I’ve done 2, but it’s been years since any. 

This is why I pay no attention to either super positive or super negative reviews on yelp or elsewhere. They are either the owners, the owners family, or disgruntled ex employees fired for smoking crack on the job.

Bucky86 said:
If you sell widgets and I can put your widget in front of more than 2,000,000 people with significant engagement numbers that I can prove, what would you pay for that??
7% off your next purchase of 250 or more widgets.

Ilov80s said:
Sometimes the law is broken. Sometimes the sponsorship isn’t super obvious to someone scrolling past it.
Yeah, it's broken quite a bit. I don't mess around with that. I don't want to risk losing the income. Even though I've never heard of anyone getting more than a warning and that was sent to something like 30 celebrities who were not disclosing paid partnerships. They were getting hundreds of thousands per post and still got nothing more than a verbal warning. I don't want to find out the hard way that they want to make an example out of someone so I disclose. 

Users who are viewing this thread