What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Baseball Forum Pinned Thread (2 Viewers)

Shifting is stupid and makes me turn the channel, and basically stop tuning in.
But why is it stupid?  It's no different than shifting the infield in for a runner at 3B or having the 1B & 3B in close in bunting situations.  It's the defense trying to gain an advantage based on tendencies of the hitter.  What is stupid about it?

The whole reason why fielders are in "normal" alignment is because that is where defenses thought it covered the field the best so there were no holes for the offense to exploit.  There is no other reasons for that normal alignment than trying to cover the field.  It has nothing to do with positions need to be in a certain place.  Its where teams thought they needed to be to cover the field the best.   Now teams have data that shows a hitter won't hit the ball to a certain location (or very rarely) so they are using that data to cover more of the field the batter typically hits it to.  Why is that stupid?

But why is it stupid?  It's no different than shifting the infield in for a runner at 3B or having the 1B & 3B in close in bunting situations.  It's the defense trying to gain an advantage based on tendencies of the hitter.  What is stupid about it?

The whole reason why fielders are in "normal" alignment is because that is where defenses thought it covered the field the best so there were no holes for the offense to exploit.  There is no other reasons for that normal alignment than trying to cover the field.  It has nothing to do with positions need to be in a certain place.  Its where teams thought they needed to be to cover the field the best.   Now teams have data that shows a hitter won't hit the ball to a certain location (or very rarely) so they are using that data to cover more of the field the batter typically hits it to.  Why is that stupid?
It's stupid because it takes enjoyment out if the game for me.   I love gamesmanship, scuffed balls, and stealing signs.  Three infielders on the right side of second is stupid.

It's stupid because it takes enjoyment out if the game for me.   I love gamesmanship, scuffed balls, and stealing signs.  Three infielders on the right side of second is stupid.
I guess I don't understand why where the fielders play is an issue to your enjoyment.  To each there own.  You do you.

Gally said:
I guess I don't understand why where the fielders play is an issue to your enjoyment.  To each there own.  You do you.
I hate all the trick steps that are within the rules in the NBA also.  I wish that was just played the way it always was.  I don't even mind the 8000 three point attempts.  But Euro steps, Tatum step backs, and Hardens array of travels suck ALMOST as much as the shift in baseball. 

Does Tampa still do that neutral zone trap BS in hockey?  That suxored also. And not being able to touch QB's or WR's without a flag sux too.  I do like when the ref in soccer makes that little TV shape with his fingers and they get the call right.

I hate all the trick steps that are within the rules in the NBA also.  I wish that was just played the way it always was.  I don't even mind the 8000 three point attempts.  But Euro steps, Tatum step backs, and Hardens array of travels suck ALMOST as much as the shift in baseball. 

Does Tampa still do that neutral zone trap BS in hockey?  That suxored also. And not being able to touch QB's or WR's without a flag sux too.  I do like when the ref in soccer makes that little TV shape with his fingers and they get the call right.
There are no rules about where defenders play other than they all have to be in the field of play (except the catcher).  That is different than traveling situation in basketball where they are breaking the rules and it not being called.  I get more frustrated when they don't call a guy out when they bunt the ball with the foot on home plate.  That is clearly an out but they never call it.  Fix that well before worrying about a shift that has nothing to do with the rules.  

There are no rules about where defenders play other than they all have to be in the field of play (except the catcher).  That is different than traveling situation in basketball where they are breaking the rules and it not being called.  I get more frustrated when they don't call a guy out when they bunt the ball with the foot on home plate.  That is clearly an out but they never call it.  Fix that well before worrying about a shift that has nothing to do with the rules.  
Disagree.  Shifts suxors big time.

You sound miserable man. Sheesh. Just watch the games. 

Link

as crazy as it sounds that’s what Glasnow is saying . I hope he can avoid surgery but it always seems to end up with TJ
Given the timing the rehab route is the correct one - even if success rates are tiny. If he goes under the knife now then he's probably not back before the end of '22. If he tries to come back then he might not be ready to open '23, which is not many more games...and he'll probably have an IP cap in '23 anyway so a late start would be a good thing for his team.

Yeah, I mean if you want to have a guy checked 3 times thats fine.  But when he comes up clean every time, then Ks your batter to end the inning and throws a stare at your dugout, getting all indignant seems like the wrong play. 

Just take your medicine, Joe.  
Apparently, Girardi was yelling at Washington's hitting coach Dale Long, who was a coach with him with the Yankees. He calls him K-Long.

Jomboy has a pretty good breakdown. Some naughty language makes it NSFW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdJVTCDp4J0

Apparently, Girardi was yelling at Washington's hitting coach Dale Long, who was a coach with him with the Yankees. He calls him K-Long.

Jomboy has a pretty good breakdown. Some naughty language makes it NSFW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdJVTCDp4J0
Yeah, read some quotes from Girardi and sounds like he was upset with the Nats coaches for getting on him.  Think that must be Kevin Long, he was the Yanks hitting.coach when Girardi was in NY. 

Pretty glad that I picked up Schwarber when Nats moved him to leadoff. Insane past couple of weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Dodgers just threw nine innings of no hit ball, but game is still 1-1. I’ve never seen so many ground ball to the pitcher in my life, and I’ve coached little league. 

what a bunch of #######! 

It would be very funny if Vlad Jr. won the Triple Crown (he now leads in AVG and HR, 4 back in RBI) and (deservedly) doesn't get a single first place MVP vote.

Joey Gallo needs 17 strikeouts in the Yankees' final nine games to achieve the "Full Nelson" — more HRs and Ks in a season than Hall of Famer Nellie Fox had in his entire 19-year career.

Gallo (2021): 38 HR, 200 strikeouts in 584 plate appearances

Fox (1947-65): 35 HR, 216 strikeouts in 10,351 plate appearances

Is... baseball actually heading back to Montreal?
I doubt it. There’s a few very smart St. Pete Twitter accounts who say it’s a leverage play to get StP to pay more for a stadium at the old Al Lang site which Sternberg owns. If Sternberg leaves StP he loses out on half of the trop redevelopment rights which probably totals a billion dollars on his end. If he stays he splits that money with the city. He’s not going to lose out on a billion dollars. 

Montreal is being used imo 

Looks like the lockout is nigh...

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan

After a seven-minute meeting with top union officials, MLB negotiators are leaving the hotel where bargaining has taken place. It’s unclear whether they’ll return. And if they don’t, that could be the last discussion before a lockout.
2:42 PM · Dec 1, 2021

Users who are viewing this thread