What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Pete Buttigieg Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Woohoo! Welcome aboard. 
If he wants my support he will need to leave the democrat party for the one you were structuring, what was it the Bull, but not necessarily butch, Moose party?

I just read this and figured it could trigger folks who think I am poking at Mayor Pete instead of having fun with Henry Ford and the legacy of Teddy R.  I'll leave it as written.  I mean a third party tempered by more modern ideals than the all out machismo of Teddy, but we will see how it is taken, and even mis-taken.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he wants my support he will need to leave the democrat party for the one you were structuring, what was it the Bull, but not necessarily butch, Moose party?

I just read this and figured it could trigger folks who think I am poking at Mayor Pete instead of having fun with Henry Ford and the legacy of Teddy R.  I'll leave it as written.  I mean a third party tempered by more modern ideals than the all out machismo of Teddy, but we will see how it is taken, and even mis-taken.
I think Pete could move the Democratic Party in that direction.  Seriously. 

Fire in the belly. Revolutionary fervor. Reformers and true progressives need that and i believe the Bootyjudge has already calculated the value of bellyfire v. upstart chance and amortized a schedule for ramping fervor in direct relation to accumulated political capital. That's why my first comp of him was a cross between Mike Dukakis (who most of you probaly dont remember except a tank picture or Jon Lovitz's impression) and Jed Bartlett. If reform squeezes his foothold, no reform. Those kind have previously talked themselves out of doing more stuff than they talk themselves into and have rarely reformed anything but, if anyone can find the language to speak to both, it's da Bootyjudge (Who a you ta judge?! *dab*)

Henry Ford said:
As a member of the Democrat Party he will not secure my vote.  He also would not as a Republican, though fat chance of that given his character and beliefs.  As a third party candidate I would likely support him with my time and money.  

Seems a shame to only support him on the condition that he get Trump re-elected.
I understand that will be a common sentiment to my rigid third party stance.  I hope that does not happen, of course, but I have long since given up on what our current system has produced, and keeps producing.  I am tired of the lesser of two evils.  I am tired of hope, even reasonable hope, being crushed by the weight of all of the sophistries and compromises that inevitably come and corrupt even good persons and distort good works, or attempts at the same.

I do admit this next election may test me far more than all the others I have lived through combined.  It would be satisfying to affirmatively vote against the man as opposed to simply not voting for him or his opponent.  I will not, however, be drawn back into a system I have so thoroughly rejected.  I believe there is a place for voices in the wilderness, they encourage folks to keep  vigilant all along the watchtowers.

I understand that will be a common sentiment to my rigid third party stance.  I hope that does not happen, of course, but I have long since given up on what our current system has produced, and keeps producing.  I am tired of the lesser of two evils.  I am tired of hope, even reasonable hope, being crushed by the weight of all of the sophistries and compromises that inevitably come and corrupt even good persons and distort good works, or attempts at the same.

I do admit this next election may test me far more than all the others I have lived through combined.  It would be satisfying to affirmatively vote against the man as opposed to simply not voting for him or his opponent.  I will not, however, be drawn back into a system I have so thoroughly rejected.  I believe there is a place for voices in the wilderness, they encourage folks to keep a vigilant all along the watchtowers.
If you don't mind sharing, who did you vote for in recent elections and which state do you live in?

,If you don't mind sharing, who did you vote for in recent elections and which state do you live in?
I have lived in Colorado for 30 years, before that Minnesota and Wisconsin when stateside.  I have a very strong trend of voting for third parties, generally, but not always that would mean Libertarian, but I have voted Constitutional and Green as well within the last few elections, primarily when there is not a Libertarian candidate.

I have lived in Colorado for 30 years, before that Minnesota and Wisconsin when stateside.  I have a very strong trend of voting for third parties, generally, but not always that would mean Libertarian but I have voted Constitutional and Green as well within the last few elections, primarily when there is not a Libertarian candidate.
I thought you were in Colorado, but was just curious overall.  I get where you are coming from and am not a fan of how our two-party system works.  I'm not sure the way to make the institutional changes needed to support a more multi-party government.   I live in NC though, so I will be pulling the lever for POTUS most in line with my views.  Whether that is Pete or HRC.  

I thought you were in Colorado, but was just curious overall.  I get where you are coming from and am not a fan of how our two-party system works.  I'm not sure the way to make the institutional changes needed to support a more multi-party government.   I live in NC though, so I will be pulling the lever for POTUS most in line with my views.  Whether that is Pete or HRC.  
Oh sweet baby jeebus, you don't suppose she will reanimate do you?

I hope not.  I was pretty vocal for Bernie before.  It seems like Pete is my guy right now.  The Democrats seem to have a few better candidates than either this time around, so I'm hopeful.  
We told you, you need to separate the head from the body, stake the heart, burn the remains separately, bury them separately, and salt the ground above each burial plot.  Absent that and Imhotep can, with the right incantations, raise her.

I do admit this next election may test me far more than all the others I have lived through combined.  It would be satisfying to affirmatively vote against the man as opposed to simply not voting for him or his opponent.  I will not, however, be drawn back into a system I have so thoroughly rejected.  I believe there is a place for voices in the wilderness, they encourage folks to keep a vigilant all along the watchtowers.
Well, I shall campaign heavily for him.  If we can change your mind I shall consider it to be a quite serious sign that I was right to back him. 

Well, I shall campaign heavily for him.  If we can change your mind I shall consider it to be a quite serious sign that I was right to back him. 
The difficulty with doing so will be that life has taught me that eventually, appearances of control aside, the lion or tiger tamer always seems to get consumed by the lions or tigers.  It is they who are in control.

And yes, I am aware the metaphor can break down when tested against the fate of actual lions and tigers, but I believe the sentiment is conveyed.

The difficulty with doing so will be that life has taught me that eventually, appearances of control aside, the lion or tiger tamer always seems to get consumed by the lions or tigers.  It is they who are in control.

And yes, I am aware the metaphor can break down when tested against the fate of actual lions and tigers, but I believe the sentiment is conveyed.
I get that.  It is true that falling for one more false hope can truly hurt one’s pride or social standing.

I am fortunate in that I have so little already of each, I care very little. 

aget that.  It is true that falling for one more false hope can truly hurt one’s pride or social standing.

I am fortunate in that I have so little already of each, I care very little. 
I have no pride or social standing.  Its more like fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three times and Bush won't get fooled again, but fool me a dozen or more times and damn, I am exhausted, time to play a different game.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bush+we+wont+get+fooled+again&view=detail&mid=1A4040A823985BB430EC1A4040A823985BB430EC&FORM=VIRE

I have no pride or social standing.  Its more like fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three times and Bush won't get fooled again, but fool me a dozen or more times and damn, I am exhausted, time to play a different game.
For my part, I will play the fool to my shame a thousand times if there is still a chance to prove that we can be redeemed.  An odd position for an atheist, but there we are. 

For my part, I will play the fool to my shame a thousand times if there is still a chance to prove that we can be redeemed.  An odd position for an atheist, but there we are. 
That's why I like you.  Like Bilbo to Gandalf, you give me courage. You give me heart.  You are a good man.

Here's a song which sometimes gives me heart:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=take+it+where+you+find+it+van+morrison&form=EDGSPH&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&refig=113fbb198afa4bb695854da55537c6ce&PC=HCTS&sp=2&qs=HS&pq=take+&sk=HS1&sc=8-5&cvid=113fbb198afa4bb695854da55537c6ce&cc=US&setlang=en-US

Maybe he can get permission to use it as a campaign song.  Someone should.

That's why I like you.  Like Bilboa to Gandalf, you give me courage. You give me heart.  You are a good man.

Here's a song which sometimes gives me heart:
If I am a good man, there are a good many people from my past who would be quite surprised.  But let us all try to do good things, and perhaps enough people will be wrong about our character to make our funerals well attended. 

If I am a good man, there are a good many people from my past who would be quite surprised.  But let us all try to do good things, and perhaps enough people will be wrong about our character to make our funerals well attended. 
I suspect the well wishers at mine will be substantially outnumbered, but who can say.  And if that is so, well at least my gravesite will be well watered.

Lets get this thread back on track.

How helpful will it be to a president elect when filing out his administration to have the types of contacts he has through his time at McKinsey and Company?  I would think substantial.

Lets get this thread back on track.

How helpful will it be to a president elect when filing out his administration to have the types of contacts he has through his time at McKinsey and Company?  I would think substantial.
Agreed.  And how helpful is it for an election to be personal friends with Mark Zuckerberg?

Mayor Pete is first out of the gate:

Pete Buttigieg‏Verified account @PeteButtigieg 2h2 hours ago

This is just a preliminary analysis, but our team’s initial report shows we raised over $7 million dollars in Q1 of this year. We (you) are out-performing expectations at every turn. I'll have a more complete analysis later, but until then: a big thank you to all our supporters.

Not sure where this will rank at the end of the day - I am thinking it is behind Bernie (and Biden), Beto and Harris.  I suspect it will be considered a good total - given where the campaign started, in terms of name recognition, and organization.  But, its important to ramp those areas up quickly.  I read over the weekend that they are moving to a new (bigger) campaign headquarters and hiring staff, so hopefully this goes smoothly.

I’m fully onboard the Pete train as well.

In fact the day this topic was posted I was coming to do the same thing.  

He may not be perfect but I would trust him to lead the country.
I haven’t been posting much for over a year but came to see if this thread was here, and sure enough it was started the day before. 

Feels like the band getting back together. 

I've donated more to Pete than Bernie...  :bag:

Though to be serious, I figured he needs it more than Bernie does. I think my current top 3 are Bernie, Pete, and Liz, in that order. If Pete can continue his ascent to really become a top contender, I think he's got more of a broad appeal than Bernie does, and is close enough on policy for me to like him and feel good about where he'd aim to take things.

It's not a qualification for being President, but I just read that, in addition to having taught himself Norwegian, Mayor Pete is also conversant in Spanish, Italian, Maltese (which is apparently a language in addition to being a dog), Arabic, Dari (which I had to look up), and French.
To be fair Trump is fluent in at least 8 languages too.

Via Penthouse Magazine.

Mayor Pete is first out of the gate:

This is just a preliminary analysis, but our team’s initial report shows we raised over $7 million dollars in Q1 of this year. We (you) are out-performing expectations at every turn. I'll have a more complete analysis later, but until then: a big thank you to all our supporters.

Not sure where this will rank at the end of the day - I am thinking it is behind Bernie (and Biden), Beto and Harris.  I suspect it will be considered a good total - given where the campaign started, in terms of name recognition, and organization.  But, its important to ramp those areas up quickly.  I read over the weekend that they are moving to a new (bigger) campaign headquarters and hiring staff, so hopefully this goes smoothly.
Harris reported $12M from 218,000 contributions, 98% less than $100

Users who are viewing this thread