What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Pete Buttigieg Thread *** (3 Viewers)

Peteyjudge is tapping something that is not natural for him - he's a guy who makes sense, not noise. But he is desperately confused as to why his most-out-of-nowhere-ever candidacy hasnt catapulted him to obvious frontrunner as previous out-of-nowhere Dem candidacies did. so he's bringin in da hype -
His style of campaigning will always have states where he misses out because he did/could not spend enough effort to become a known factor. If he can't get something solid out of SC he'll be relegated to potential VP (which this time likely will be a woman - it's not enough to be married to a man ;)  ) barring something miraculous Super Tuesday

His style of campaigning will always have states where he misses out because he did/could not spend enough effort to become a known factor. If he can't get something solid out of SC he'll be relegated to potential VP (which this time likely will be a woman - it's not enough to be married to a man ;)  ) barring something miraculous Super Tuesday
his TV budget in NV was $0.00, so almost nudging Pony Soldier Joe out of 2nd was OK, i guess, but he just didnt get anywhere near the mo out of IA/NH that other upstarts have

his TV budget in NV was $0.00, so almost nudging Pony Soldier Joe out of 2nd was OK, i guess, but he just didnt get anywhere near the mo out of IA/NH that other upstarts have
Yes, he chose this as the least interesting of the first states and acted accordingly. So, he'd better have a great showing in SC to make up for it

Last edited by a moderator:
Buttigieg courts South Carolina black voters with his veteran status

The primary on Saturday in the diverse southern state is seen as an important durability test for the 38-year-old former mayor of South Bend, Indiana, who has yet to prove he can motivate minority voters and dispel criticism that the economic revitalization in his city bypassed residents of color.

Despite a narrow win over Bernie Sanders in the Iowa caucuses and a close second place finish to the Vermont senator in the New Hampshire primary, Buttigieg has struggled to gain ground with African Americans, a core Democratic constituency.

Reuters/Ipsos polling conducted from Jan. 29 to Feb. 19 showed only 1% of black Democrats and independents said they would vote for Buttigieg, compared with 33% for Joe Biden, 19% for Sanders, 10% for Mike Bloomberg and 7% for Elizabeth Warren.

In entrance polls from the Feb. 22 Nevada caucuses, Buttigieg received support from 2% of black voters.

Two-thirds of the Democratic electorate in South Carolina is black. Senior Buttigieg campaign officials say blending his message of uniting a country divided by President Donald Trump with his military veteran status is central to their strategy to make inroads with South Carolina’s black residents, who disproportionately are veterans and active duty service members.

Not a Mayor Pete fan by any means, but I thought he was the voice of reason on this topic.
Oh.  I thought you posted it because of the xenophobia, and confusing ‘sewing’ with ‘sowing.’  It’s pretty outlandish that people can just toss out casual racism when it comes to Russians.  

Oh.  I thought you posted it because of the xenophobia, and confusing ‘sewing’ with ‘sowing.’  It’s pretty outlandish that people can just toss out casual racism when it comes to Russians.  
Racism?

That's a joke, right?

Yes, clearly he should have been more precise and said “certain Russian leaders.”

I really have never thought of this. I think casual racism is a bit too far, but all of the mentions of russian this and russian that, really is a broad brush painting a lot of people poorly. It doesn't really bother me, but it is interesting considering how offensive some of the most innocuous things can be to so many people these days. 

If mexican hackers were helping democrats and the GOP was constantly referencing mexican interference I think it is safe to say that this would be a talking point. 

I really have never thought of this. I think casual racism is a bit too far, but all of the mentions of russian this and russian that, really is a broad brush painting a lot of people poorly. It doesn't really bother me, but it is interesting considering how offensive some of the most innocuous things can be to so many people these days. 

If mexican hackers were helping democrats and the GOP was constantly referencing mexican interference I think it is safe to say that this would be a talking point. 
It’s certainly possible, but I’m not sure it’s safe to say. 

You know. The Russian race. 
If they are a race there must be a corresponding racial epitaph.  All I can come up with is Rooskies.  Doesn't seem to have the stink of a genuine epitaph.  I could be wrong.  for all I know having written it out I will be immediately suspended.

If they are a race there must be a corresponding racial epitaph.  All I can come up with is Rooskies.  Doesn't seem to have the stink of a genuine epitaph.  I could be wrong.  for all I know having written it out I will be immediately suspended.
I believe "cabbage-eater" was once popular.  Its translation into Russian is apparently offensive.

Ivans?

Seemed popular in 80'ies movies

Yep, pretty much.  Just differentiate between the millions of ordinary people living there and the Russian state.  That’s all.  Don’t make every Slavic person sound like a Starship Trooper insect infesting the seams of democracy.  

I am a minor functionary, wholly unimportant.  Sometimes minor functionaries have minor functions to perform.  Sometimes National candidates have to accommodate minor functionaries to get to middling functionaries.  Imagine me as a caddy.  I do not play the course, I walk the course carrying someone else's baggage.
yeah a looper.....you know a caddy......jock.

Was this discussed in here at all?  I've gone through the last three pages and haven't seen it mentioned once.  Seems like a fairly big story on what would likely become a prominent point of discussion in a national race.

I wouldn't expect him to hide his orientation or downplay it, but the concept of pre-adolescent sexual orientation is still quite controversial. This issue could come into play with moderate voters.

Was this discussed in here at all?  I've gone through the last three pages and haven't seen it mentioned once.  Seems like a fairly big story on what would likely become a prominent point of discussion in a national race.

I wouldn't expect him to hide his orientation or downplay it, but the concept of pre-adolescent sexual orientation is still quite controversial. This issue could come into play with moderate voters.
I'm glad it isn't a big story because it shouldn't be.  

What part of what Pete did or said would be controversial?

What part of what Pete did or said would be controversial?
I'm pretty sure you are being willfully ignorant here, but it is the age of the child to whom he said it.

“It took me a long time to figure out how to tell even my best friend that I was gay, let alone go out there and tell the world. And to see you willing to come to terms with you who you are in a room full of thousands of people you never met, that’s really something,” he added.

The former South Bend mayor went on to warn Zachary that, while “it won’t always be easy,” what’s really important is that “you know who you are,” because when you have that, “you have a center of gravity that can hold you together when all kinds of chaos is happening around you.”

I'm pretty sure you are being willfully ignorant here, but it is the age of the child to whom he said it.

“It took me a long time to figure out how to tell even my best friend that I was gay, let alone go out there and tell the world. And to see you willing to come to terms with you who you are in a room full of thousands of people you never met, that’s really something,” he added.

The former South Bend mayor went on to warn Zachary that, while “it won’t always be easy,” what’s really important is that “you know who you are,” because when you have that, “you have a center of gravity that can hold you together when all kinds of chaos is happening around you.”
And?  The kid was coming out...Pete responded based on his own experiences to a person who brought this up.  

To claim that statement is controversial is looking for something ti be offended by rather than him saying anything wrong.

What do you want him to say? “Listen, kid, you don’t get to be gay yet. Run along home”?

What do you want him to say? “Listen, kid, you don’t get to be gay yet. Run along home”?
The truth. But then again our society doesn't seem too keen on that whole concept.

Being brave is a good concept, but who a nine year old boy is will change dramatically over the years. Telling the kid that he has locked it in already is just not possible at his age.  Or how about not choosing the kid to come up on stage and make a big deal of it? This was Pete's campaign that decided to make a big deal of this.  I would assume there were a lot of other questions they could have chosen to address during the rally.

The truth. But then again our society doesn't seem too keen on that whole concept.

Being brave is a good concept, but who a nine year old boy is will change dramatically over the years. Telling the kid that he has locked it in already is just not possible at his age.  Or how about not choosing the kid to come up on stage and make a big deal of it? This was Pete's campaign that decided to make a big deal of this.  I would assume there were a lot of other questions they could have chosen to address during the rally.
And when you say “truth” what is it that you mean he should say?

What about what he told him wasn't the truth?

The truth like...well the GOP will tell you that being gay is a choice and one you cant make yet...so good luck kid.

That “truth”?

I was hoping you had some real dirt 

Not here, but yes, in the LGBT+ thread.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/765610-lgbt-lgbtq-lgbt-thread/page/18/?tab=comments#comment-22519717

I am a minor functionary, wholly unimportant.  Sometimes minor functionaries have minor functions to perform.  Sometimes National candidates have to accommodate minor functionaries to get to middling functionaries.  Imagine me as a caddy.  I do not play the course, I walk the course carrying someone else's baggage.
Minor Functionaries Unite!

Users who are viewing this thread