What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Pete Buttigieg Thread *** (1 Viewer)

“Unity” is always centered on the left-center-right political spectrum, and how affable the politician is.  It’s never centered on class disparity- the uppercrust point .2% of people that actually rule this country while everyone else gets left with scraps.  

There will never be unity in this country so long as this problem goes undiagnosed.  It doesn’t matter how many smiling empty suits they trot out.  They want people to sit still and be quiet while their lives get hollowed out.  It’s not going to happen.  

The problem isn’t that Pete & Obama aren’t nice enough guys.  The problem is that they advance a grossly inequitable system and expect people to just shut up and take it.  That’s why we got Trump.  
What Obama policies and Pete proposals "advance a grossly inequitable system"?

And a gofundme on his Twitter.  Seems like the Bernie folks have fallen for another thin conspiracy about Pete...
I suspect there is a fair amount of Russian “bot” propaganda pushing disinformation for Bernie. I’m sure there are Bernie supporters who buy it, but there are also people holding it against him. One thing is for sure: sowing discontent. 

I think Bernie can win and make some positive changes with his appointment powers and executive orders and stuff.  But I don't see any of his major legislation getting passed either.
If he ever manages to get health care legislation passed, it will probably look alot more like "Medicare for those who want it" than "Medicare for all."

:banned:

Well, it was a heck of a run.  I think I am more proud of his candidacy today than at any other point.  Bowing out was ultimately the correct decision here - and he showed a certain maturity and grace to step aside.  (Sorry Bernie guys, but from Pete's position, it was the right call).

I always thought he had a plausible, but narrow, path - and he hit all the milestones.  He just never got the national bounce coming out of Iowa and New Hampshire.  I think he, and his staff, can hold their heads high for the type of campaign they ran - they made the most of what they had to work with.

As for his future, I know a lot of folks talk about moving into a DC area job - but, I would rather see him move to Birmingham or Charleston and take a position where he expands on his Douglass Plan - helping to improve the economic possibilities of minority-owned businesses.  I think if he rolls up his sleeves and puts in the work over the next couple of years, away from the limelight, he will be in prime position to contend for the Dem nomination in 2024 (and I am expecting an open nomination process in 2024...)

Thanks to all the folks here who continued to post positive Pete stories here (and to @ren hoek for keeping everyone on their toes).

PS - I got my Dad to submit an absentee ballot for Pete in Virginia - so he was a little dismayed yesterday when the news broke (my dad would have preferred to vote for Biden, but voted for Pete for me).  That is one of the challenges with all the early voting and absentee ballots - probably should have scheduled Super Tuesday a week from now).

The statusquoness of this breaks my heart, to the point that i doubt him for the Obama others have accused him of being. We are, indeed, broken...... :kicksrock:
I think you're overestimating the fractiousness of the man and not paying heed to the strength he sees in America. Sometimes, in order to catch the tide back to shore, one must first steady the boat in calm waters. We're not too far gone. There is hope for us yet. 

Thanks to all the folks here who continued to post positive Pete stories here (and to @ren hoek for keeping everyone on their toes).
My goals were two fold:  1. to expose him for the neolib tool that he is.  

But also, 2. to destroy him so hard you would have no choice but to return & defend him.  He’ll have a long career in politics- I’m sure Pete fans (and haters alike) will have a lot to look forward to.  

I was looking at your profile on here just the other day.  December 30th.  You weren’t lying- when you say you’re gone you mean it.  

It’s always good to hear from you man!  Don’t be a stranger!  

I think you're overestimating the fractiousness of the man and not paying heed to the strength he sees in America. Sometimes, in order to catch the tide back to shore, one must first steady the boat in calm waters. We're not too far gone. There is hope for us yet. 
i'm done with it. i know now i wont see another germ of hope in the few yrs i have left and being right about the crash will bring me no joy. back to Spinozan groundwork for me

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see you poke your head back in here.  Never got to say goodbye since I was suspended.  Who you going with now?
You know - hard to say for sure.  I am not thrilled with any of the remaining candidates - but they are who we have to choose from now.

I think I will follow Pete's lead and vote for Biden.  I personally kind of like Warren and wish she had edged the left-side of the party.  I would vote for Bernie in the general election, but it feels like we would be simply replacing one extreme for another.  I would have a tough time supporting Bloomberg, even in the general, as I am not entirely sure how he is different than Trump.

I do think this is now Biden's race to lose, as I still don't think Bernie can get 50% of the delegates before the convention.  Clyburn hinted after SC that the Dem leadership has been waiting to get behind Biden, and I think they will do so now - setting up the DNC v. Bernie again.  

You know - hard to say for sure.  I am not thrilled with any of the remaining candidates - but they are who we have to choose from now.

I think I will follow Pete's lead and vote for Biden.  I personally kind of like Warren and wish she had edged the left-side of the party.  I would vote for Bernie in the general election, but it feels like we would be simply replacing one extreme for another.  I would have a tough time supporting Bloomberg, even in the general, as I am not entirely sure how he is different than Trump.

I do think this is now Biden's race to lose, as I still don't think Bernie can get 50% of the delegates before the convention.  Clyburn hinted after SC that the Dem leadership has been waiting to get behind Biden, and I think they will do so now - setting up the DNC v. Bernie again.  
Did not expect you to be on board with Biden.  

Did not expect you to be on board with Biden.  
Ultimately, I think he is a poor candidate, and that the DNC has taken a pretty big risk here.

But given the options - we have Bernie or Biden.  (I don't think Warren nor Bloomberg are viable candidates).

Bernie - I liked him last cycle v. Clinton, and you could say that Biden is just another Clinton - long-time candidate with flaws.  But, I see the world a little differently this cycle - where we are coming from a far-right perspective and I think Bernie is eerily similar to Trump, albeit from the opposite side (down to refusing a WaPo question because he does not like their coverage). 

I am much closer, politically, to Bernie's positions but I worry about the overall impact of swinging from one extreme to the other.  I don' think we can afford 4 more years of entrenched sides.

I think Biden (and Bernie, and Bloomberg, and Warren, and Trump) are all too old to trust with a demanding position for the next 4+ years.  But, the voters have decided differently, so I am left with trying to figure out the best path with what we have.  Biden is the least polarizing candidate left in the race - and so I won't "support" his candidacy, but I will vote for him in the primary, and I will vote Blue in the General, and hope its not Bloomberg.

Am I remembering incorrectly?  Wasn't Sinn pretty much the mayor of the Bernie thread in 2016?  Or was it another Tottenham guy?
No, I was one of the big Bernie fans in 2016.  I just have a different perspective this cycle.  I like most of his policies.  I am not a yuge fan of his uncompromising ways, nor the way he fails to admonish some of his more ardent supporters.  I never paid much attention to the Bernie Bro phenomenon in 2016, but was more acutely aware of them this cycle.  Leadership starts at the top - and I think he is lacking in that department.

And, the reality is - I have never thought he could get 50% of the delegates before the convention.  Now that the race is crystallizing around the DNC v. Bernie, I think he will fall short in delegates, and can't win a brokered convention.

If he gets the Nom, I will gladly vote for him in November.

Just saw Pete's endorsement live on FB.  Still a class act.  Biden then compared Pete to his son Beau, so I imagine there will be a spot in a Biden administration for Buttigieg.

ETA: “He reminds me of my son Beau,” Biden says, calling that the “highest compliment I can give.”

Just saw Pete's endorsement live on FB.  Still a class act.  Biden then compared Pete to his son Beau, so I imagine there will be a spot in a Biden administration for Buttigieg.

ETA: “He reminds me of my son Beau,” Biden says, calling that the “highest compliment I can give.”
Howdy Sinn

I am much closer, politically, to Bernie's positions but I worry about the overall impact of swinging from one extreme to the other.  I don' think we can afford 4 more years of entrenched sides.
This is the reason I was in on Pete even though I’m closer politically to Bernie.

We are left with two old men with health issues, a woman who would expand the political divide, or Bloomberg.

I know I don’t want Bloomberg, and I can’t comprehend voting for someone who blabs total gibberish every time I see him speak. 

There’ll be a spot for Harris, too. The only question in my mind is whether it’s VP or an appointment to SCOTUS. 

It was like the entire Democratic party was on a boat in the ocean during a hurricane and Pete was the shining beacon of the lighthouse showing us the way to safety. We instead went the other way directly into the storm and the outcome is not yet written. I think Pete's message was the winning message and I believed in him that he could start to heal the country with his positive presence. Now that it is down to Joe and Bernie, I will throw my support behind Joe but I am nervous about this too. One of the things I loved about Pete was that there was no Burisma type garbage that could be manufactured with the help of adversarial foreign actors. And he could speak clearly and articulately without ranting or word salad. It's going to be a ride for sure. But I do feel better now that he did the right thing for the party/country instead of staying in and eating into delegates when he had no chance. 

😪

It was like the entire Democratic party was on a boat in the ocean during a hurricane and Pete was the shining beacon of the lighthouse showing us the way to safety. We instead went the other way directly into the storm and the outcome is not yet written. I think Pete's message was the winning message and I believed in him that he could start to heal the country with his positive presence. Now that it is down to Joe and Bernie, I will throw my support behind Joe but I am nervous about this too. One of the things I loved about Pete was that there was no Burisma type garbage that could be manufactured with the help of adversarial foreign actors. And he could speak clearly and articulately without ranting or word salad. It's going to be a ride for sure. But I do feel better now that he did the right thing for the party/country instead of staying in and eating into delegates when he had no chance. 

😪
Yeah...he shouldn't have quit.  He could have picked up some Amy backers and been in the game.  

There’ll be a spot for Harris, too. The only question in my mind is whether it’s VP or an appointment to SCOTUS. 
VP makes a lot of sense.  It's Biden's role to sway moderate voters, and Kamala would be excellent for rallying the base to show up in November.

Yeah...he shouldn't have quit.  He could have picked up some Amy backers and been in the game.  
Any would never have quit before Pete.
What was he hoping for?  He won Iowa and showed well in NH.  He was never winning SC.  I could have told him that months ago and saved him the time and you a couple of grand.  His path was similar to Bernie's four years ago.  He needed to command more camera time and fight from behind.  He had the tools to give it a run.

Wasn't the argument that Harris would be more effective in the Senate. Also, what about Amy?
IMHO Biden will need a woman VP (two white guys doesn't scream change, even if one is gay).
And Pete will need a job where he can be seen to do good and effective things for minorities if he is to resonate with them.

BassNBrew said:
What was he hoping for?  He won Iowa and showed well in NH.  He was never winning SC.  I could have told him that months ago and saved him the time and you a couple of grand.  His path was similar to Bernie's four years ago.  He needed to command more camera time and fight from behind.  He had the tools to give it a run.
You mean fight for a contested convention?

You mean fight for a contested convention?
No.  Reach enough people to turn the tide in the second half of the primaries and pull off an upset.  I really wanted to see what he would do in the midwest states.  I also wanted to see him debate more.

No.  Reach enough people to turn the tide in the second half of the primaries and pull off an upset.  I really wanted to see what he would do in the midwest states.  I also wanted to see him debate more.
Oh, sorry, thought you were talking about Bernie in 2016.

“That is admittedly, and I do not deny it for a second, a tough road to climb, but it is not an impossible road to climb and we intend to fight for every vote in front of us and every delegate remaining,” Sanders told reporters.

“It is virtually impossible for Hillary Clinton to reach a majority of convention delegates by June 14, which is the last day a primary will be held, with pledged delegates alone,” he added. “She will need superdelegates to take her over the top at the convention in Philadelphia.

“In other words the convention will be a contested contest.”

It was pretty sad seeing Pete's name on the ballot and not voting for him..  Despite the very cute Warren girl going door to door in the rain this AM, I ended up voting for Biden. 

It was pretty sad seeing Pete's name on the ballot and not voting for him..  Despite the very cute Warren girl going door to door in the rain this AM, I ended up voting for Biden. 
I feel like we’ve reached the stage where everyone is like “I don’t like this guy but I have to vote for him so Trump loses.”  Not sure that’s an ideal place to be although I get it.

You just made the people without health insurance and mother earth sad.

I posted this in the Biden thread - but for anyone still checking out the remnants of the Pete thread:

This is pretty awesome

I think this speaks volumes about the respect from the Biden campaign not just towards Pete personally, but towards all the staffers on Pete's campaign - and what a truly positive campaign they ran from the top of the organization down to the last volunteer.

For those who don't know - this is a clip of some Biden staffers doing the "High Hopes" dance that the Pete staffers/supporters did at campaign rallies.  Its a somewhat annoying dance, but seeing the Biden folks do it as a tribute to the Pete staffers makes me feel good about Pete's choice to drop out and endorse Biden.

Users who are viewing this thread