What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Found an unopened bottle of champagne from 1945 in our crawlspace (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
Plumber was running a new line outside and, while digging through the crawlspace under what is an old extension that was added at some point after our house was built, came across this bottle of champagne apparently from 1945.

Cork appears to be somewhat rotten but generally in one piece.  If you turn the bottle over, nothing drips out.

What's our play here?

I'd hold onto it until 2020.  1945 has an end of WWII ring to it.  Wait for the 75th anniversary of V-E Day or V-J Day to pop it open.

Interesting. 

Obviously, there’s no way to determine provenance, but considering where you found the bottle I’d say the wine is long gone. There may be someone out there looking for a trophy of sorts, but the label condition is going to take away most/all value....and I’m not sure an auction house would touch it. 

Maybe take it in to a high-end wine shop locally and see what they think? 

In all seriousness, clean that bottle up.

On New Years Eve, have a party at your house. On the invitation, have it say something like:

"We will be sampling a vintage 1945 Champagne that was brought here after WWII and stored untouched since that time."

Then, bring out small glasses of the stuff. @Otis takes a big sip, and makes an extravagant exclamation:

"Excellent. So refined. The very best of that era and as if God himself wanted us to drink this bottle today. Among friends."

Then watch and laugh as the rest of the guests drink this swill and try to act sophiscated - as if it was supposed to taste like that.

Just keep it, clean it up and put it somewhere as a show piece.  It's a good cocktail hour ice breaker when guests are over.

Unless someone is offering you arkloads, just keep it.

When I saw the thread title, I thought, "Otis is in his crawl space? Cool! " 

Then... "maybe it's a new diet...?" 

Now - "guzzle the F'n thing in one take - video - post results in the Eat Me thread - steal lotsa votes from the pukes - GM & shukes - die the hero we all know you are!" 

It's the Hawk play... 

Screech! 

Otis said:
Plumber was running a new line outside and, while digging through the crawlspace under what is an old extension that was added at some point after our house was built, came across this bottle of champagne apparently from 1945.

Cork appears to be somewhat rotten but generally in one piece.  If you turn the bottle over, nothing drips out.

What's our play here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Otis said:

What's our play here?
We're talking Champagne, and not Champagne of Beers, correct?

Seems fairly likely it was put there as a good luck charm when the extension was built.

I'd put it back... you don't want your good luck disappearing do you?

You might think I'm kidding, but I never kid about good luck charm 1945 vintage bottles of champagne found in crawl spaces.

You did watch the Brady Bunch in Hawaii didn't you?

Seems fairly likely it was put there as a good luck charm when the extension was built.

I'd put it back... you don't want your good luck disappearing do you?

You might think I'm kidding, but I never kid about good luck charm 1945 vintage bottles of champagne found in crawl spaces.

You did watch the Brady Bunch in Hawaii didn't you?
Funny that you say this. I thought about putting a current bottle back under there in its place. Possibly along with a note and some sort of time capsule. 

Funny that you say this. I thought about putting a current bottle back under there in its place. Possibly along with a note and some sort of time capsule. 
Make sure to cradle it gently on a sack of potatoes, with no reference to said potatoes in the note.

Damn cool idea. 

I just helped my pop clean out his basement. Boxed up a crap load a bottles - some pretty old - but not valuable. 

Really didn't know what to do with em. 

Coincidentally, I'm also laying some new carpet. It needs to be removable - cause I have some old - 1912 - wooden ducts. 

Now I know what I'm going to do with some of them at least. 

👍

Users who are viewing this thread