What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Terry McLaurin, WAS (1 Viewer)

Senior Bowl director Jim Nagy said that Ohio State WR Terry McLaurin has "absolutely aced" the pre-draft process.

Nagy adds that NFL scouts were hoping that McLaurin would fly under the radar, but Nagy predicts that we'll be hearing McLaurin's name a lot more as we get closer to the 2019 NFL Draft. McLaurin was called a future CEO at the Senior Bowl and then rocked a 4.35-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine. While all of this is positive, his weaknesses include limited career production and being older than most of the other receiver prospects. Consider McLaurin as a potential Day 2 candidate with an early Day 3 floor.

SOURCE: Jim Nagy on Twitter

Mar 22, 2019, 3:14 PM

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein said Ohio State WR Terry McLaurin "the talent to be an NFL backup."

That might sound like a negative comment, but that's more of a compliment given his lack of career production at Ohio State. Zierlein believes that McLaurin will have more of an impact than the typical backup receiver because of his special teams contributions. If McLaurin does sneak into a starting lineup, he offers 4.35 speed and an NFL wide receivers coach noted that he was running better routes at the Senior Bowl than he was running during the 2018 season, which is a testament to his work ethic. Senior Bowl director Jim Nagy called McLaurin a future CEO.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 10, 2019, 2:55 PM

Ohio State WR Terry McLaurin ran the 40-yard dash in 4.35 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

McLaurin (6'0/208) has had a nice little evaluating season to date. Back in January, he turned in a respectable showing during the Senior Bowl practice week, when he was clocked at 22.1 MPH -- the top recorded speed of any player in Mobile. Beyond the obvious speed, Scary Terry is a killer in the interview room. SB director Jim Nagy has said that McLaurin has the kind of mental makeup of a future CEO. That kind of a killer. He is one of a number of intriguing potential Day 2 WR options for April.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 2, 2019, 1:21 PM

Ohio State WR Terry McLaurin caps impressive pre-draft process with excellent Pro Day workout

Excerpt:

Each ran crisp, precise routes Wednesday and made a handful of highlight-reel grabs. For McLaurin, though, it served as the third and final piece of what has been a fantastic pre-draft process.

McLaurin shined, catching passes away from his hands at the end of complex routes and eliciting “oohs” and “ahhs” from those in attendance. He showed good footwork along the sidelines on a couple of tough catches, and the majority of his afternoon was studded with eye-opening plays. Anyone who had started to consider his draft potential had to feel vindicated in their thoughts after Wednesday's workout.

McLaurin's football stardom saw its first peak in high school when he was named 2013 Indiana Mr. Football. The four-star prospect joined a talented receiving corps at Ohio State and, because of the competition, took a while to see considerable playing time in Columbus. No matter, though: McLaurin found his first role on special teams.

Now, that added quality might help him hear his name called earlier in April.

McLaurin finished his Ohio State career with 75 catches for 1,251 yards and 19 touchdowns, including a final campaign of 35 grabs for 701 yards and 11 touchdowns. He was a receiver who caught the touchdowns in between the better-known names before seeing his role expand during his senior season. As a result, he went to Mobile, Alabama, for the Senior Bowl with essentially zero fanfare.

Then he hit the practice field.

McLaurin turned heads with the same crisp routes, run against some of the nation's top upperclassmen. Suddenly, the lone Buckeye at the game was a focal point of the week leading up to the showcase.

From there, his stock continued to rise, thanks to a solid NFL Combine workout that also included a 4.35-second 40-yard dash and 18 reps on the bench press. No longer was he an overlooked name on an Ohio State roster. Now, he's viewed as a potentially reliable No. 2 or 3 receiver who can instantly help on special teams.

That last part might put him on the field immediately, and the actual receiving could keep him on the field for 5-10 years if he finds the right fit.

"Kind of the rare guy that was a redshirt senior," NFL Network's Rhett Lewis said during the network's broadcast of the Pro Day. ... "But a guy that had 11 touchdowns on 35 receptions (during his senior season)."

"Had a very good week at the Senior Bowl," NFL Network's Bucky Brooks added. "The fact that he's able to consistently put the ball in the paint is a very attractive trait."

Attractive indeed. McLaurin's value lies in his versatility, attention to detail and willingness to complete the unheralded tasks with consistent effort. We'll soon learn which team sees the same potential in him.

Buddy Baker @ESG_Baker

A team told @TheTerry_25 today at the @OhioStFootball pro day to make sure his phone is on during Day One of the @NFL draft- so there is that. The man does check every box. Every one.

4:17 PM - Mar 20, 2019

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller compared Ohio State WR Terry McLaurin to Denver Broncos WR DaeSean Hamilton.

"Many receivers will rely on their size or speed to get open in the NFL, while McLaurin and Hamilton both excel with route running," Miller writes. Beyond his route-running, the 6-foot-1, 205-pound McLaurin is a phenomenal athlete on the whole, registering a SPARQ composite landing him in the 87th percentile of NFL wideouts while at the NFL Scouting Combine. Late last month, Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy wrote to social media that McLaurin -- who showed out well in Mobile back in January -- had "absolutely aced" his draft process. He seems to have locked up a Day 2 selection to this juncture. Now it's just a matter of whether or not he has enough juice to sneak toward the first round.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 4, 2019, 1:55 PM

Five Under The Radar Prospects: Offense

Excerpt:

WR Terry McLaurin, Ohio State

Urban Meyer has stated that McLaurin is one of the hardest working players he has ever been around. A thick-built receiver with excellent power and outstanding blocking ability, McLaurin is capable of de-cleating defensive backs with his devastating hits. He is also a strong runner after the catch with the ability to break tackles and excels on special teams. He was overshadowed at Ohio State due to a crowded supporting cast and being asked to do the dirty work. It would not be a shock to see McLaurin develop into an even finer pro and play a decade-plus in the league.

Pro Football Focus ranks Ohio State WR Terry McLaurin as their No. 68 overall prospect.

PFF isn't worried about McLaurin's lack of production early in his career because of the talent he sat behind, and they are intrigued by his speed and route running. At the Senior Bowl, McLaurin was praised often for his on-field skills and character. One of the top per target receivers in the nation last year, McLaurin is expected to land in the second or third round.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus

Apr 13, 2019, 7:55 PM

Ohio States offense has been interesting, to say the least. I think this season and in future Ohio State has used more of what looks like Mike Leach's concepts to our base offense. The transition from Meyer to Day has become very noticeable to me.  Much more crossing routes as you could see in Michigan game to create space or pick on a matchup they liked. Picking spots for long downfield throws and mesh point plays that reminded me of Oklahoma and Texas Tech. The receivers seemed more of the focal point than the running game last season but the offense in itself was a more intermediate passing game than the longer downfield game. It's very hard to judge and scout the receivers in this offense. I do think Campell and McLaurin are both probably better players than given credit for and McLaurin seemed to be progressing more at the end of the season.  I think Day is going to start going downfield a bit more this season as he fully takes the reins. I think we are heading down the path of an Oklahoma style offense with Justin Fields and Day transition which should help the receivers in the future.
Good analysis

Redskins selected Ohio State WR Terry McLaurin with the No. 76 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

McLaurin (6’0/208) made 32 starts in the Buckeyes’ wideout corps, collecting a career 75/1,251/19 (16.7 YPR) receiving line while especially shining on special teams as one of the nation’s top punt gunners, where he collected 15 tackles and two fumble recoveries. More track guy than a target-commanding threat, McLaurin profiles similarly to old Saints WR Devery Henderson with blazing straight-line speed (4.35) but minimal nuance. He is unlikely to fix Washington's receiver woes, but he did play with first-round selection Dwayne Haskins in college.

Apr 26, 2019, 8:11 PM

There is a lot to like as far as situation, college QB, Skins WRs suck, and supposedly he's a hard working clean guy off the field. But he's also old...and he's a Redskin ;)

Draft Wrap-Up: Dave Gettleman Defends the Giants’ Daniel Jones Pick

Excerpt:

10. I really like what the Redskins did this weekend, and not just because they picked two Buckeyes. But unbiased as I can be, I will say that I think, in 10 years, we’ll look back and see Terry McLaurin, the 71st overall pick, as one of this draft’s best values. He’s Matthew Slater as a special-teamer. He has real potential as a receiver. And as you could see in the video I tweeted out Saturday, he’s one of the best leaders in this draft class. Since that video elicited a big response from D.C., I figured I’d hit up Ohio State coach Brian Hartline about McLaurin in that regard. “After watching that video, and you can take this how you want, I think it’s important to say he’s not a huge vocal guy,” Hartline said. “But he always does it at the right time. That’s why everyone listens. And it just comes from such a genuine place—like with how excited he gets when someone else in his receiver room makes a play. That’s because he doesn’t lack confidence in himself, and he thinks cheering for his position group is good for everyone. He’s not threatened by anyone, because he has confidence in who he is and how he operates.” The other thing I asked Hartline about was how McLaurin continued to dominate on special teams as he improved as a receiver. “That’s because he cares,” Hartline said. “He cares to his core.” The Redskins are getting a stud.

Redskins rookie minicamp observations: Notes on Haskins, McLaurin, undrafted guys and more

Excerpt:

Haskins' best highlight might've come early in 1-on-1 drills, where he lofted a high 30-ish yarder to Terry McLaurin for a score. McLaurin had broken free on a go-route and Haskins really couldn't have delivered it any better. 

Speaking of McLaurin, you could've taken the numbers off of every wideout and still easily guessed he was the one who played college ball with Haskins. They were cooking in 1-on-1s.

Another tidbit on the Ohio State WR: In talking with him, you can really tell the pride he takes in doing things other than catching the ball. That's his reputation, and you understand why. "Anytime you step on the field, you should do everything that's expected you to the best of your ability," he said. "That's how you respect the game... I'm the type of guy who's willing to do anything for the team."

This stands out from the article:

McLaurin may not have been Haskins’ most productive receiver, but the pair were extremely efficient when working together. In total, Haskins targeted McLaurin 50 times throughout his career, which resulted in 36 receptions for 696 yards and 10 touchdowns. When targeting McLaurin, Haskins had a passer rating of 153.8, which is better than any other connection that Haskins shared with his teammates.

Last edited by a moderator:
This stands out from the article:
It’s a really small sample size and disproportionately weighted by his yards per catch.  I’d be curious to know Haskins air yards to McLaurin because I suspect it’s quite high, which I further suspect is the result of deep go-route patterns they connected on.

My fear with McLauren is he’s a one-trick pony and doesn’t have the skill set to develop into a reliable, volume option.  But, as a spec investor, I’m hopeful my fears prove to be wrong.

It’s a really small sample size and disproportionately weighted by his yards per catch.  I’d be curious to know Haskins air yards to McLaurin because I suspect it’s quite high, which I further suspect is the result of deep go-route patterns they connected on.

My fear with McLauren is he’s a one-trick pony and doesn’t have the skill set to develop into a reliable, volume option.  But, as a spec investor, I’m hopeful my fears prove to be wrong.
Yes f course.

I do think it speaks to possible chemistry between them, even if it is in a specialized role.

I ended up with this guy on a bunch of my teams because he was still around in the mid 3rd and I like to weigh draft slot pretty heavily in my personal evaluations. 3rd round WR that ran a 4.35 and went to a team void of WR talent, also paired with his college QB? Yeah, I'll definitely take a flier on that over a 6th round RB.

He actually went undrafted in several of my PPR dynasty leagues (where we have 3 rounds) I tried to trade for a late 3rd but no success...definitely one of the main targets for the first preseason waiver run...

Terry reminds me a lot of Terry "rip" Glenn.

I will say this. I think Terry will be a better pro than college player.  The offense at Ohio State complicates the evaluation process. The offense is more role oriented but I have seen Terry at times show being more a complete WR.  Parris is much more than that Percy Harvin role too. I would factor in that these players are a bit better than given credit for. McLaurin might be more complete than Parris.

The potential for Terry is more 2nd round in rookie drafts than where he is going. I got him at 4.1 and believe me I feel he will outplay that draft position easy. A smart kid who is a 2x captain at OSU and hungry for success with the opportunity and familiarity with Haskins. Recipe for success.
I’m not *expecting* much, but as far as fliers go, I love some of the ingredients.  Starting with his 4.3 speed and pairing that with what everyone says is this is just a high character kid.  I know Matt Waldman and others are not super high on what he has shown on tape, but if he’s a good, hard-working kid, maybe he has the headspace and drive to develop the tools where he’s currently lacking.

Oh, and Washington invested a day 2 pick on him.

And, that team has nothing of substance in front of him.

And, there’s the prior relationship/chemistry with his QB.

This is such a low cost / potentially high reward situation, can’t help but to gobble him up everywhere.

27, 32, 30, and 25 in my drafts.  I got no copies of him which isn't surprising since I strongly prefer to take RB in that part of the draft but I am watching for chances to snipe him if I can work it into a bigger trade.  His average depth of target was highest in this draft class so getting downfield is definitely a strength but he can run routes as well.  It was (correctly) said earlier that tOSU's offense tends to pigeon-hole players into specific roles so we haven't really seen him get a lot of chances to do it but he looks the part in limited opportunities.

Rookie wide receiver Terry McLaurin has impressed Washington's coaches during spring drills, and former GM Charley Casserly said he's been lead to believe the team plans to enter camp with McLaurin already pegged as a starter opposite of Josh Doctson.

Analysis: Casserly still has close ties with members of the Washington organization, so his statements do have a level of credibility. While Casserly has a reputation for showing some bias towards his former team â he said McLaurin, a third rounder, is playing like a first round draft pick â it isn't hard to believe that McLaurin stands a chance to make an impact for a team without much depth at the receiver spot.Casserly added that Washington's coaches have loved McLaurin's speed and ability to play every receiver position. Also aiding McLaurin is his already established chemistry with Dwayne Haskins, his college teammate at Ohio State.DLF's data shows McLaurin has a rookie draft ADP of 24.90, tying him with Pittsburgh's Diontae Johnson. Depending on which of these two is selected first, that would make McLaurin the 13th or 14th wide receiver off the board in most rookie drafts. Despite his potential starting role and higher NFL Draft capital, McLaurin is still being taken after pre-draft darlings like Kelvin Harmon (who Washington took in the sixth round) and Hakeem Butler. If McLaurin can secure a starting role, he could up being one of the steals of this year's draft.

Really interesting if for no either reason he has chemistry with Haskins coming in.  He's a polished kid and someone I'll take in the later rounds of rookie drafts

I'm very optimistic about his chances.  Speed, route-running ability, work ethic, chemistry with the new franchise QB, intangibles - he checks all the boxes for me.  I'm very happy that I got him at 3.09 in my FFPC rookie draft and believe he has a high ceiling.

Terez A. Paylor

@TerezPaylor

26m

One player garnering buzz is rookie WR Terry McLaurin, who has impressed the coaching staff with his route-running & has proven to be a quick study (he’s already learned all the receiver positions. I’m told). He also has built-in chemistry with Haskins. He will help immediately.

Washington is where WR go to die. True story. 
Sure but he was a third round NFL pick with nice speed teamed up with his college QB. He went in late round two or (mostly) in round three in my leagues. Seems odd he'd be on the waiver wire.

Users who are viewing this thread