Dynasty & Redraft: WR Terry McLaurin, Washington

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even the Redskins can't stop McLaurin.

New rule for this thread. Every 3rd post must mention that Haskins and McLaurin played together in college. Because the fact it has been mentioned 1000 times doesn't seem to be enough. ETA - McLa

Thank you for this Faust as always. My favorite part from this article was where we learned this tid-bit of information, take it for what it is:  

32 minutes ago, Gottabesweet said:

Anyone else think he’s ranked way too high in a tough matchup this week and still Alex Smith throwing him the ball? This has 3-19-0 all over it. 

Yeah, but I'm still rolling him out there over Landry, Moore, Claypool, and Chark as of yet.

Can’t believe he was ranked top 15 by most staffers.  Lazy in my opinion.  The Alex Smith story is great but if they weren’t in division contention I’d rather see Haskins being Winston-lite and helping Terry.  

8 minutes ago, Gottabesweet said:

Can’t believe he was ranked top 15 by most staffers.  Lazy in my opinion.  The Alex Smith story is great but if they weren’t in division contention I’d rather see Haskins being Winston-lite and helping Terry.  

Yeah, can't believe I rolled him out there this week, but I felt like one big play and didn't like my other options, really. Wound up sitting Landry for Claypool. We'll see if all of that works out. Tight game I'm in and McLaurin's being in there might kill me. 

Not a good ranking by most staffers. They just said on the broadcast that Alex Smith wasn't just Checkdown Charlie and that he wasn't afraid to take big shots. To Robert Foster, of course. My ### he's not a checkdown artist.

Edited by rockaction
4 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Yeah, can't believe I rolled him out there this week, but I felt like one big play and didn't like my other options, really. Wound up sitting Landry for Claypool. We'll see if all of that works out. Tight game I'm in and McLaurin's being in there might kill me. 

Not a good ranking by most staffers. They just said on the broadcast that Alex Smith wasn't just Checkdown Charlie and that he wasn't afraid to take big shots. To Robert Foster, of course. My ### he's not a checkdown artist.

One freak touchdown where the box score looked like a deep TD in Smiths first action was basically all he’s done.  He’s been banged up too as well.  Best case is if SF gets a big lead but Washington D is too good.  

2-8 for 5 yards.  Unreal Smith. 

Edited by Gottabesweet
58 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Alex Smith out.

Bad for Alex, good for McLaurin.

Haskins is terrible, but he targeted McLaurin heavily early in the season. Hoping he still has those blinders in his locker.

Agreed. Let's hope he starts slinging that ball around. He was a top 10 WR the first four weeks of the season with Haskins in there.

Edited by kutta
On 12/17/2020 at 10:30 AM, Gottabesweet said:

Anyone playing him this week? Do we want Haskins to start? Does it matter? Are they just going to run anyways even down. 

Got to play him -- Julio Jones, Deebo Samuel, and Kenny Golladay are still going to be out  :kicksrock:

I'll put Tim Patrick at one WR slot. So then it's either McLaurin, Bills rookie Gabriel Davis or someone on the wire (Russell Gage and Willie Snead look to be the best out there).

6 minutes ago, kutta said:

Agreed. Let's hope he starts slinging that ball around. He was a top 10 WR the first four weeks of the season with Haskins in there.

I just checked that earlier.  I was going to go back to last year.  Crazy he got benched after a 300 yard game with 0 INTs. 

59 minutes ago, Gottabesweet said:

Not all heros wear capes. 

Heh.

I liked the Tweet that Haskins to McLaurin is like Trubisky to Robinson II. Both are true so far. Let's hope they hold true. Nick Foles never looking Robinson's way was frustrating. Smith not looking Terry's way is doubly so. 

• Like 1

Terry McLaurin (ankle) didn't practice Wednesday. 

McLaurin has been held out or limited in early-week practices over the past month as he deals with an ankle issue. Barring a setback on Thursday or Friday, he should be ready to go against the Panthers this week. McLaurin's prospects would be boosted by Dwayne Haskins starting for Washington. McLaurin has averaged 9.5 targets per game in Haskins starts this year. 

SOURCE: Adam Caplan on Twitter 

Dec 23, 2020, 3:58 PM ET

Terry McLaurin (ankle) is doubtful for Week 16 against the Panthers.

Alex Smith meanwhile practiced in full on Friday and is considered questionable to suit up. With McLaurin likely out, fantasy players can pivot to Logan Thomas and J.D. McKissic as backup plans as both were jammed double-digit targets in Week 15 against Seattle. Washington is still vying for the NFC East crown and a playoff berth on Sunday.

SOURCE: Nicki Jhabvala on Twitter

Dec 25, 2020, 1:18 PM ET

26 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Well this is sucky.

I know he's had an issue, but never thought him not playing was on the table. Out of left field.

Was a bit of a dicey play anyway especially if A. Smith starts.

Scrambling now. It's either Higgins or Gaskin to fill the gap.

Same.

I need to pick from Rashard Higgins or Antonio Brown. Will prob go Higgins as I just can’t see starting AB when I have to start Godwin and Fournette. 

Edited by Max55
16 minutes ago, Max55 said:

Same.

I need to pick from Rashard Higgins or Antonio Brown.  Will prob go Higgins as I just can’t see starting AB when I have to start Godwin and Fournette. 

Ha. I'm already starting Mike Evans AND AB as well. Don't like the feeling of having too many chips on TB.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Max55 said:

Same.

I need to pick from Rashard Higgins or Antonio Brown. Will prob go Higgins as I just can’t see starting AB when I have to start Godwin and Fournette. 

I think Higgins is a great start this week and should get 4-5 catches, 60-70 yards, and a possible score. 

• Thanks 1

I'm in a non-ppr and can start Wilson, Henderson (wasn't an option before Akers got injured) and DJ Moore. Nice problems to have. Leaning towards Wilson now since Mosart is out and he is clearly the GL back. Just hoping SF can keep the game close. 

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Washington WR Terry McLaurin (ankle) will not play in Week 16 against the Panthers.

McLaurin has excelled as Washington's top receiver this year, seeing six targets in every game and dipping below 60 receiving yards just three times in 14 contests. The offense takes a massive hit with him sidelined. The Football team could also be without Alex Smith crippling their passing attack entirely. Expect breakout TE Logan Thomas to be targeted frequently with Cam Sims operating as the No. 1 receiver. 

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Dec 27, 2020, 8:46 AM ET

Washington Post's Nicki Jhabvala reports Terry McLaurin "intends" to play Week 17 against the Eagles.

McLaurin has a "significant" high-ankle sprain and will likely be limited in the regular season finale. Even if McLaurin plays half the snaps, that's a noticeable bump for Washington's chances of winning the NFC East. It's a must-win game for the Football Team.

Jan 2, 2021, 4:23 PM ET

Terry McLaurin caught 6-of-10 targets for 75 yards in Washington's Wild Card loss to the Buccaneers.

McLaurin turned 134 targets into an 87-1,118-4 receiving line in the 2020 regular season. He's exceeded all pre-draft expectations through two NFL seasons and profiles as Washington's alpha No. 1 receiver for the future. McLaurin was held back by awful quarterback play for the second-straight year, and Washington still doesn't have an answer heading into his third season. Because he's such a well-rounded talent, McLaurin's floor is stable as a fantasy WR2/3 even with uncertainty at quarterback. If Washington can bring in a capable signal caller this offseason, McLaurin has WR1 upside. The Football Team has the fifth-most cap space heading into free agency. Expect a quarterback and No. 2 receiver to be at the top of their wish list.

Jan 10, 2021, 12:50 AM ET

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Terry McLaurin says he played through two high-ankle sprains in 2020. 

We knew about one, which is difficult enough to play through. The timeline, or whether both injuries were to the same foot, is unclear. Coupled with Alex Smith's pop-gun presence under center, it would explain why McLaurin's production dramatically tailed in the second half of the season. Despite the injuries, the 25-year-old still managed to confirm himself as one of the best young receivers in football. He should once again push for WR1 relevance in 2021, though it is unknown who will be under center for the Football Team. 

Mar 4, 2021, 5:40 PM ET

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Stock way, way up. Fitzmagic in town.

Up why specifically?  Will he get more than the 8.9 targets per game he averaged last year?

3 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

Up why specifically?  Will he get more than the 8.9 targets per game he averaged last year?

I would imagine fitz can stretch the field more than Alex could, so perhaps his yards and TDs will get a boost.  And fitz way more accurate than haskins.  So I’d say on balance it’s a bump but how much we’ll see...

Edited by MikeApf
Just now, tangfoot said:

Even if he doesn’t get more targets, the air yards per target will be much higher with Fitz than with Alex Smith/Heinicke/random WFT QB

Ryan Fitzpatrick air yards per throw 
2020- 7.8
2019- 8.9
2018- 10.3
2017- 9.1
2016- 9.0
2015- 9.2 

Washington QB air yards per throw 
Dwayne Haskins- 6.7
Kyle Allen- 6.0
Alex Smith- 5.1 

https://twitter.com/michaelfflorio/status/1371664198808211459?s=10

• Like 7
8 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

The QB play there has been terrible. If the efficiency of the offense improves just a little bit, and the quality of the throws and the looks, he should definitely be bumped a little. There is room for a few more targets but not much. He can be a 100 catch guy though. Also he is really, really good. 

• Like 1

Obviously Fitzmagic can be very up and down.  But he'll probably be the best QB Washington has had.  He'll do a lot of good things for Terry.

He'll throw it further downfield giving him a chance for more big plays.  He'll likely improve the offense as a whole, meaning the team scores more points.  

Look at the season DeVante Parker had with Fitz a few years ago.  McLaurin was on pace for 93 catches, just a hair under 1200 yards this season with lesser QB's.  The only issue with Terry has been the QB play, and he's been good despite that.  Fitz won't win you an NFL championship.  But he can definitely be the QB of a WR1 in fantasy.  

I've got McLaurin in 2 dynasty leagues and am just ecstatic about it. 

1 hour ago, tangfoot said:

Others have weighed in statistically, I'll weigh in anecdotally. He hasn't had a non-trash QB throwing to him yet by the eye test. Balls are all over the place on his targets and his quarterbacks and their aDOT have caused him to have a more limited route tree than he could otherwise run. He's got a ton of speed which you can't leverage fully until you get some developing routes, something Fitzpatrick will more than allow for, presumably. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jm192 said:

Obviously Fitzmagic can be very up and down.  But he'll probably be the best QB Washington has had.  He'll do a lot of good things for Terry.

He'll throw it further downfield giving him a chance for more big plays.  He'll likely improve the offense as a whole, meaning the team scores more points.  

Look at the season DeVante Parker had with Fitz a few years ago.  McLaurin was on pace for 93 catches, just a hair under 1200 yards this season with lesser QB's.  The only issue with Terry has been the QB play, and he's been good despite that.  Fitz won't win you an NFL championship.  But he can definitely be the QB of a WR1 in fantasy.  

I've got McLaurin in 2 dynasty leagues and am just ecstatic about it. 

I wouldn’t be. It’s a one year deal with a  38 year old journeyman who has consistently come up small in big games his entire career. Fitzpatrick is just good enough to win enough games to get a mediocre draft pick keeping them from being in a good draft position as well. He’s not going to help them win in the playoffs they only made because of an abysmal division. They just kicked the can down the road on trying to actually fix their QB issue another year and will be back to square one again this time next year. Minor bump in redraft for the reasons stated but that’s it.

Edit: If they wanted a gunslinger with a penchant for throwing INT’s at the worst possible moment, they could have had Winston for half the cost and a decade younger so a chance to possibly improve his play.

Edited by Buckna
4 hours ago, Buckna said:

I wouldn’t be. It’s a one year deal with a  38 year old journeyman who has consistently come up small in big games his entire career. Fitzpatrick is just good enough to win enough games to get a mediocre draft pick keeping them from being in a good draft position as well. He’s not going to help them win in the playoffs they only made because of an abysmal division. They just kicked the can down the road on trying to actually fix their QB issue another year and will be back to square one again this time next year. Minor bump in redraft for the reasons stated but that’s it.

Edit: If they wanted a gunslinger with a penchant for throwing INT’s at the worst possible moment, they could have had Winston for half the cost and a decade younger so a chance to possibly improve his play.

Didn't Winston just sign a more expensive 1 year deal?

I don't disagree on Fitzmagic being a question mark for WFT, but for fantasy I also see this as great for McLaurin this year. He's going to get a lot of targets, and deeper ones then he's been getting. If that results in 20 ints, that's fine for Terry. 

Edited by jtd13
  • Like 1

Yeah, I was limiting my comments to Terry and fantasy, though I also think Fitz is a massive improvement over most other guys that they had a realistic shot at. I don't think this precludes them from Watson or trying to move up to draft a QB.

He’s a great Bridge QB for this team. I’m sure he can mentor to Heineke and/or a rookie they draft until either is ready to start. I like the signing as he is much better than what we had the last 2 years...

Edited by ffmail4me
8 hours ago, barackdhouse said:

The QB play there has been terrible. If the efficiency of the offense improves just a little bit, and the quality of the throws and the looks, he should definitely be bumped a little. There is room for a few more targets but not much. He can be a 100 catch guy though. Also he is really, really good. 

Great news for McLaurin.  He is hoping to have a QB with an arm and the guts to throw the ball down field.  

8 hours ago, Buckna said:

None of what you said changes the fact that Fitz will be the most fantasy friendly QB McLaurin has ever played with.  Don't care if he comes up small in big games or throws a ton of picks.  He'll sling it down the field and McLaurin will benefit.  

Of course it's not a long term fix.  But it beats another year of QB's that can't/won't throw the ball down field.  

• Like 1