What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Spaceshuttle (1 Viewer)

Sure. But he NFL draft is already taking that into account. You only gain anything if you're exposing areas where the NFL draft is inefficient. 

Player 1 whose breakout age was 21 goes at 1.15. Player 2 whose breakout age was 19 goes at 2.15. Do you take Player 2 over Player 1 because of this metric?
You missed the part above where this metric is not being considered as much as it should. NFL teams are not myopic about fantasy points like us, so I guess it's understandable. 

yeah I remember Juju had a very nice breakout age, then his YPC dropped off the cliff his Junior year

so folks JUST looking at last-year tape and/or stats may have passed him over (even though his Jr stats were still decent)

(Eye Opening Fun Fact: turned out the reason for his falloff was just a huge dropoff in QB play from Kessler to Darnold - I remember this coming up when looking at drafting one of the rookie QBs last year and it bothered me then as far as projecting Darnold as a franchise QB as the NFL had him pegged and I couldn't pull the trigger on him in any of my leagues)

You missed the part above where this metric is not being considered as much as it should.
Where was that shown?

I do not think any proponent of breakout age has demonstrated that it is more efficient than draft position. Including the guys at rotoviz who did a much more rigorous study of this back in 2014.

NFL teams are not myopic about fantasy points like us, so I guess it's understandable. 
The NFL teams are not drafting for fantasy points like we are thats true. It is our job to figure out what the teams are trying to do and to project fantasy points from that. Good news is the fantasy community is able to interpret the information and identify which players will score more fantasy points

Sure. But he NFL draft is already taking that into account. You only gain anything if you're exposing areas where the NFL draft is inefficient. 

Player 1 whose breakout age was 21 goes at 1.15. Player 2 whose breakout age was 19 goes at 2.15. Do you take Player 2 over Player 1 because of this metric?
For the purposes of an analytically defensible predictive model, yes. For the purposes of gambling in FF leagues, you don't have to gain anything on the NFL model, you have to gain on that of your leaguemates. They are literally the only entities we are competing against. A tool such as what Dan has developed here could be a huge edge on an individual league to league basis. Even if marginal at best vs the NFL method(s).

Another consideration regarding the quality of the NFL draft as a predictor is that some years are inflated with OL talent, or DL talent, or DB talent (or others) such that there will be positional runs that render the magnitude of difference between say a late 1st and a mid 2nd WR seem bigger than it really is. In your example of whether we would take the 2.15 WR over the 1.15 based on their breakout age, I'd say probably not, but possibly. What if there was a big run of DBs and OL in between? And then you're talking about comparing the 1st/2nd vs 3rd or 4th receiver off the board, which is perhaps a smaller gap than looking at it as 1.15 vs 2.15. Maybe breakout age is a tiebreaker between 2nd and 3rd off the board for example.

And of course maybe it isn't. Situation is still huge for me. I'd rather have Deebo in SF than Brown in Baltimore. And as far as I know Brown has draft position AND breakout age in his favor.

Draft capital can be fairly ineffecient because there are a lot of dumb teams making dumb picks.  Players go off the board before they should all the time.  It only takes one dumb team to like a player too much or draft for positional need and reach for him. 

by this logic Marquis Brown should be the first wr off the board in rookie drafts
I don’t think ConnSkins is saying draft position is an absolute measurement, just like you’re not saying your stats in this thread are the end all, be all.

Where was that shown?

I do not think any proponent of breakout age has demonstrated that it is more efficient than draft position. Including the guys at rotoviz who did a much more rigorous study of this back in 2014.
Not more efficient, but not accounted for as much as it should be. Shown above, 54% of receivers meet criteria, 79% of wr1s do.

I'll repost it.

Hopefully I understand your data correctly.

wrs drafted: 219 

meeting criteria: 118 (54%)

NOT meeting criteria: 101 (46%)

So yeah, it looks like you could have something here considering 79% wr1s (to 2018 tho) meet the criteria compared to 54% of the total population. If you only had these 2 metrics, absolutely go with the low BA/high Dom. 

Introducing the effect of these metrics on the draft does complicate things. Breakdown of receivers meeting the criteria by round:

1st: 78% 

2nd: 76%

3rd: 71%

4th: 38%

5th: 54%

6th: 34%

7th: 41%

Last edited by a moderator:
Not more efficient, but not accounted for as much as it should be. Shown above, 54% of receivers meet criteria, 79% of wr1s do.

I'll repost it.
*shrugs

54% is basically a coin flip. If the probability is this close that means theres really no trend present in the population of the sample.

The 79% of them being WR 1 being higher than the entire population doesn't really tell us much in my view. It could just be random.

yeah I remember Juju had a very nice breakout age, then his YPC dropped off the cliff his Junior year

so folks JUST looking at last-year tape and/or stats may have passed him over (even though his Jr stats were still decent)

(Eye Opening Fun Fact: turned out the reason for his falloff was just a huge dropoff in QB play from Kessler to Darnold - I remember this coming up when looking at drafting one of the rookie QBs last year and it bothered me then as far as projecting Darnold as a franchise QB as the NFL had him pegged and I couldn't pull the trigger on him in any of my leagues)
The drop off in production had a lot to do with JuJu play most of the season with multiple injuries.

Tex

by this logic Marquis Brown should be the first wr off the board in rookie drafts
Not what I was saying. Just bringing some perspective to someone's comment that using draft position is inefficient. On the whole that may be true but it's still literally the best thing we've got. It's more a commentary on how far we've got to go. 

In reality, even though we tend to regard NFL teams as backwards dinosaurs resistant to change (and they are), their decision-making still is the best predictor of success. Why? Part of it is that guys with pedigree get more chances, kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy. But part of it is also that with their vast resources they are probably working a bit more of these analytics into their decision-making than we realize on the outside.

It's possible that no matter how much progress is made in the analytics we have access to, that the NFL draft will still remain the most effective predictor of success, because they are also paying attention. 

ConnSKINS26 said:
It's possible that no matter how much progress is made in the analytics we have access to, that the NFL draft will still remain the most effective predictor of success, because they are also paying attention. 
I think you're right. With so many factors to consider, one metric encompassing all of 'em created by the NFL is the best we can expect.

On the other hand, being that an NFL team's goals differ from ours, in theory there's a better system out there. Some sort of multiple regression. @ZWK has his formula for instance, but I cant speak to how its derived. 

One could also take the approach of adjusting draft position based on metrics which lead to fantasy points more/less often. To me, it's not prudent to do so without examining how each of them correlate. It's a bit sketchy to downgrade Parris Campbell for his poor b.o.a. without knowing exactly the implication of a great 40 time, or whatever else.

I think you're right. With so many factors to consider, one metric encompassing all of 'em created by the NFL is the best we can expect.

On the other hand, being that an NFL team's goals differ from ours, in theory there's a better system out there. Some sort of multiple regression. @ZWK has his formula for instance, but I cant speak to how its derived. 

One could also take the approach of adjusting draft position based on metrics which lead to fantasy points more/less often. To me, it's not prudent to do so without examining how each of them correlate. It's a bit sketchy to downgrade Parris Campbell for his poor b.o.a. without knowing exactly the implication of a great 40 time, or whatever else.
My formulas are not based on linear regression. I basically take a weighted average of a bunch of variables, and I make up weights that seem plausible to me rather than pulling them out of a best fit to historical data. I also sometimes transform variables, e.g. turning RB height, weight, and BMI into a single number that represents how good or bad the RB's size is.

Football Outsiders does use linear regression to create their prediction formulas. I have written about some of the pros and cons of their method vs. mine here. The basic problem is that it takes lots of data points for regression to work well, especially when there are other things going on like many predictor variables that are correlated with each other. And what do you do when a stat like drop rate wasn't even recorded until recently?

I think that there are fancier statistical methods which are better than regression for the thing we're trying to do, e.g. Bayesian multilevel modeling. But I haven't learned the stats well enough to actually use them, and I don't know if they deal well with all the issues. I think that some of the intuitive/subjective aspects of my approach are basically mimicking things that are done more systematically by fancier statistical methods.

cloppbeast said:
54% of the players who were included in the sample met the criteria correct? 46% did not.

This is a random distribution where no clear trend is found. A coin flip.

The 79% of players meeting the criteria who were top 12 players does suggest that meeting the criteria is a prerequisite for achieving top 12 in fantasy. However the sample size for this is very small, only a handful of players who were top 12 over the time frame (there is overlap).

It is entirely possible that in the decade preceding this sample that players in the top 12 were not as strongly represented, it is also possible that over the next 10 years that players in the top 12 are not meeting the criteria of the sample.

If that is the case then the 79% number is actually random rather than showing a correlation. This is always a problem with small sample sizes.

To give an example lets say for the decade preceding the sample that only 44% of the players met the criteria, so very different than the 79% of the chosen time frame. Then 10 years from now we look at that time frame and find that 55% of the players met the criteria.

If this were the case, then we are right back to our 54% of the players meeting the criteria (more or less) and would find that the 79% for the time frame selected is actually just random variance in the sample. 

Historically those who dont meet the critiera, but have a top 12 or top 24 are the ones who are not duplicates or less likely to be duplicates. arent duplicates a good thing and show that meeting the criteria can lead to more sustained wr1 seasons 

Its impossible to go back further than 2010 and get an accurate picture because DR and BA dont exist for those guys on player profiler. I strongly disagree that this is by chance and a CHI test would prove it. I plan to run one later

ETA:

There is no double sampling in the 79%; you finish top 12 in 2013 and 2014 you are only counted once. If I counted every year each person finished top 12 the percentage would be even higher. 
Maybe you should include those overlap seasons. Sorry I thought you already did that.

This would be another thing you could look at. How many of the players who had more than one top 12 season met the criteria?

I'm really not comfortable with the market share data and where those cut offs are to begin with and that is the main source of my skepticism.

54% of the players who were included in the sample met the criteria correct? 46% did not.

This is a random distribution where no clear trend is found. A coin flip.

The 79% of players meeting the criteria who were top 12 players does suggest that meeting the criteria is a prerequisite for achieving top 12 in fantasy. However the sample size for this is very small, only a handful of players who were top 12 over the time frame (there is overlap).

It is entirely possible that in the decade preceding this sample that players in the top 12 were not as strongly represented, it is also possible that over the next 10 years that players in the top 12 are not meeting the criteria of the sample.

If that is the case then the 79% number is actually random rather than showing a correlation. This is always a problem with small sample size.
Couple things.

I didnt intend this was definitive, only it suggests a trend worth further inquiry. Theres a few things which need altered before we get to make any conclusions. Namely the threshold part and the double metric part, one at a time, please. And as Doc just mentioned, counting multiple occurances of wr1 seasons is one such improvement. 

Also, theres no sample here. This is every wr drafted in the last 8 years, totaling more than 200. Well technically, it's a sample of all of them in the NFL ever, but not sure how anybody from the 80s or 70s applies today. Considering how much the game has changed, the most relevant information would come from recent data.

Concerning variance, using the chi squared test, these are not independent when using a level of significance of .001. Safe to say this is not a case of random chance.

I'm always very conflicted on topics such as these. My first thought is that the NFL is a billion dollar organization, and a dude with some data analysis techniques isn't going to beat the system.

Then I see teams punting on 4th-and-1 on the opponent's side of the field and I re-think that notion.

I'm always very conflicted on topics such as these. My first thought is that the NFL is a billion dollar organization, and a dude with some data analysis techniques isn't going to beat the system.

Then I see teams punting on 4th-and-1 on the opponent's side of the field and I re-think that notion.
Frankly I think that kind of thing cannot be overstated. The NFL is full of meatheads. 

Concerning variance, using the chi squared test you'll find these are not independent using a level of significance of .001. Safe to say this is not a case of random chance.
You will have to unpack that for me. I think doing such a test would require more data.

As far as the data prior to the sample being used being relevant or not in today's game? It should not matter if the market share is actually the key to unlocking WR performance in the NFL

I kind of already think I know it isnt. Because there are tons of college players with impressive college market shares who dont do anything in the NFL.

If market share was actually a measure of WR talent then players with high market share in college would see that transfer to the next level. 

Yet we already know that half of them in the top 24 did not meet the criteria.

As far as the data prior to the sample being used being relevant or not in today's game? It should not matter if the market share is actually the key to unlocking WR performance in the NFL

I kind of already think I know it isnt. Because there are tons of college players with impressive college market shares who dont do anything in the NFL.

If market share was actually a measure of WR talent then players with high market share in college would see that transfer to the next level. 

Over 100, or however the hell many colleges there are, narrow down to 32. Needless to say, a minority of college players make it in the NFL. Not everybody who does well in the NCAA will make it; but if you cant hack it there, more likely you wont at the next level either.

I cant argue with you about the vast majority of good college recievers failing in the NFL. But you're milking ducks. We are comparing those who do well in school vs those who dont. The former has a better chance in the pros. In other words, as bad a chance those who produce have of NFL success, those who dont produce have even worse chances. Pretty simple really.

And to correct the bolded, about a quarter of the top 24 dont meet the criteria.

Over 100, or however the hell many colleges there are, narrow down to 32. Needless to say, a minority of college players make it in the NFL. Not everybody who does well in the NCAA will make it; but if you cant hack it there, more likely you wont at the next level either.

I cant argue with you about the vast majority of good college recievers failing in the NFL. But you're milking ducks. We are comparing those who do well in school vs those who dont. The former has a better chance in the pros. In other words, as bad a chance those who produce have of NFL success, those who dont produce have even worse chances. Pretty simple really.

And to correct the bolded, about a quarter of the top 24 dont meet the criteria.
What does milking ducks mean? Never heard that before.

The criteria is where the margins have been set. You said 54% of the top 24 met the criteria. Is that not correct?

Now you are saying the top 24 is something else.

Please make up your mind. Hard enough discussion without the chains constantly moving.

No I haven't checked anyone's math here.

If meeting the criteria is a random distribution at each level of the partitions (top 12 top 24 top 36 ect) then there isnt a consistent pattern here and it may just be coincidence that a high percentage of the players met the criteria in the top 12.

The criteria is where the margins have been set. You said 54% of the top 24 met the criteria. Is that not correct?

Now you are saying the top 24 is something else.

If meeting the criteria is a random distribution at each level of the partitions (top 12 top 24 top 36 ect) then there isnt a consistent pattern here and it may just be coincidence that a high percentage of the players met the criteria in the top 12.
You are misunderstanding me. 56% of wide recievers entering the NFL via the draft meet the criteria. 

@Dr. Dan just saw the news that Faust posted in the Treadwell thread that he's in danger of being cut. What did your data say about him and a player like Doctson? Thanks 

You will have to unpack that for me. I think doing such a test would require more data.

Picture yourself at a live FF draft.  You remember those days at your local bar, with beer, wings, laptops, and cheatsheets.  Every time it's your turn to pick, you enlist 100 friends, ranging from statisticians to scouts to diehard fantasy players to take turns crossing off a player, each using a different set of criteria, until only one player is left to draft.  If you did this for the whole draft, I bet you would like your team.  And it would be a team made up by eliminating players, not by including them.  This is Dr Dan's theory, in a nutshell.

Neither were projected misses. However that entire class only produced two hit so far and they were exceptions (Michael Thomas, Tyreek Hill). Depending where you stand, Fuller and Boyd may be added to the hit category. That class, in general, was a complete disaster so far.
Playerprofiler has Treadwill at 29% dominator. Isn’t that technically a miss? 

Its like people are speaking different languages here. Several think the clear consistency of the data makes consideration of the cutoffs valuable and the other half is saying either that draft order has been shown to be the most consistent predictor of WR success and so there is no need to look at other factors, or that the sample size of the last 8 years is insufficient to rely on. It seems pretty simple from there. People should use what they are comfortable with.

Like everything, people are very unlikely to convince anyone with a strong opinion of anything that isn't consistent with it. People who are open to the predicability of the data, knowing the sample size and lack of absolute certainty, should be discussing whether that can be improved upon. People who aren't open to seeing the data as predictive or useful should go somewhere else and look at things they think are more useful to them. Using this thread to bicker between the two basic views just takes time away from both useful endeavors.

Since no one is going to prove the data non-predictive, and with it clear that many people think it non-predictive or that this can't be shown clearly enough to be useful, can we keep this thread to talking about how best to use this data and how to improve its usefulness, rather than yelling back and forth whether or not people should use it at all?

Took me longer to take a look at the data

HERE is an updated spreadsheet that has an additional sheet showing 30% dominator. Sheet 1 also has an additional table at the bottom which shows:

When using the 25% DR, the criteria applies to 72.3% top 24 WRs
When using the 30% DR, the criteria applies to 61.4% top 24 WRs

The top 12 drops from 80% to 62% when you increase to 30% DR as well. This is a pretty big drop.

Which makes sense. If you increase the threshold you'll catch less.

When you look at Sheet 2 and Sheet 3, where we go back to look at all drafted WRs, there doesn't seem much of a difference as far as predicting top 24 misses whether you use 25% DR or 30% DR.
25% DR: 92.08% of misses don;'t have 25% DR and/or 50% Breakout Age
30% DR: 93.04% of misses don't have 30% DR and/or 50% Breakout Age

However- The predictability went up when you increase to 30% Breakout age
True Hits went from 37% to 45%
Which, again, makes sense

IMO the best way to use this is to use the 25% DR to rule OUT players. If you want to try and rule IN a player, your chances at landing a top 24 WR are better using a 30% dominator rating than a 25% dominator rating as your cut off. Even though you're still at 50/50, your odds at getting a hit go up from 37% to 48%. That seems significant to me.
@Dr. Dan   For those of us that are blocked from being able to see the spreadsheet would it be possible to just give a current listing of the results for this year's rookie class?  I tried skimming the thread but it jumps around quite a bit and gets lost in the debate whether or not this is a worthwhile tool.  I believe it is and was hoping for a quick cliff notes version of the results.  Thanks. 

2019 Results are In:

2019 was huge for this theory/method

3 of the top 24 finishers did not meet the criteria. 1 has missing data due to being a converted QB.

Of the 3 that were exceptions, 2 were wr2s, 1 was a wr1 (and the WR1).

83% of the top 12 met the criteria. 1 was an exception, one does not have college data

83% of the wr2s met the criteria as well

2019 results strengthened the model, pushing the "true positives" (predicted misses) from 92% to approximately 94%

The trend continues to be that an exception will be someone who misses on Breakout Age only. Missing on Dominator Rating seems like a death sentence to wr3 or lower territory. 
2020 data?

I've taken this idea to other forums to gather feedback. One question, which I've gotten as well here, was: what about Draft Capital? Also I was asked what the formula would look like if I got rid of a lot of the later round picks that usually never hit, indicating that the accuracy of the formula was skewed due to 4-7th rounders rarely panning out. Good points all together... So I took a look and here's the data 2010-2019

Definition of a "hit" for me is a player finishing at least 1 season as a top 24 WR

Definition of an NFL Draft Hit is the percent of WRs that have a top 24 season regardless of any DR or BA

Dominator Score used is 25. I have duplicated my work on two spreadsheets with 30 DR and 25 DR and found no significant difference. Any significant difference will be called out below

WRs drafted round 1:
NFL Draft Hits: 47%
Doc's Correct Predicted Miss: 78% (80% for 30 Dominator)
Doc's Correct Predicted Hit: 56% (I have not advocated in the past for this to be used as a hit detector, however it is interesting that using this does give a slight edge over the NFL hit rate) (61% for 30 Dominator)

WRs drafted round 2:
NFL Draft Hits: 38%
Doc's Correct Predicted Miss: 80% (68.7% for 30 DR)
Doc's Correct Predicted Hit: 43% (5% better than the NFL hit rate, not sure if this is significant) (46% 30 DR)

WRs drafted round 3:
NFL Draft Hits: 23%
Doc's Correct Predicted Miss: 91%  (91% for 30 DR)
Doc's Correct Predicted Hit: 34% (again, a better hit rate than the NFL) (40% with 30 DR)

Total Drafted Rounds 1-3
NFL Draft Hits: 35.3%
Doc's Correct Predicted Miss: 84.6% (down from 94 with adding in all rounds) (81.6% for 30 DR)
Doc's Correct Predicted Hit: 45% (up from 31% with adding in all rounds)- this is also a higher hit rate than the NFL (49% for 30 DR)

I did not look at 4th round and later because the frequency of them having a top 24 season is few and far between, and not really worth the time. 

This is incredibly interesting to me because I think it shows a lot of how this data can be used. 

Some takeaways:

1. I wonder if this advocates for using the 25 DR score to rule players out, or using the 30 DR score to rule players in, as it slightly increases your chances at drafting a hit compared to the NFL hit rate. This would give us a miss AND hit detector.
2. This is most useful for WRs drafted in round 1, however I would argue that 46% hit rate with 30 DR is significantly better than 38% NFL hit rate (round 2). 
3. WRs drafted round 3 rarely hit, however, your chances go up the most by using this to rule out likely misses first with the 25 DR (11%), or even more (17%) using 30 DR

These percentages are not amazingly high to predict hits, and I dont think we can expect them tl be, but 10+% better than how the nfl drafts os certainly an advantage. 

Now let's talk about 2020...

This draft is stacked. I have gone through 36 WRs and only 18 of them do not meet the criteria, leaving 18 that do meet the criteria. 18 "Projected Hits" have been drafted only once since 2010, and that was 2015. 2014 is notorious for being a great WR draft class, and it produced more hits than 2015. Let's hope this draft class will be more like 2014 than 2015...

Predicted Hits: 14 drafted in the first 3 rounds of the NFL draft (4 missed)
Predicted Misses: 3/17 drafted in the first 3 rounds of the NFL draft
Exceptions: 2 (Kelvin Benjamin and John Brown - both missed on Breakout Age)
*There was only 1 correct Predicted Miss in the first 3 rounds; 4 Predicted Hits that missed. 

Looking at 2020, I think it will be undoubtedly very much the same. 

Interestingly, Jeudy is the most controversial as his Dominator Rating is 25.1. So he meets one DR but not the 30 DR cut off. Assuming he is a 1st round pick (safe assumption?) He has a 56% chance of hitting. However, his counter parts drafted round 1 will have a 61% chance of hitting, with the exception of the projected misses. Up to you how much weight you give that

Some Forum Favorites that are Predicted Misses:

Henry Ruggs- Misses on both DR and BA
Michael Pittman Jr- Misses on BA
K.J. Hill- Misses on both DR and BA
Collin Johnson- Misses on BA
Brandon Aiyuk- Misses on BA
* I'm taking a hard pass on Ruggs and Hill, but the others are candidates to be exceptions as exceptions to this rule typically miss on Breakout Age (all except 1 since 2010)

Some notable statistics/players that have caught my eye:

Bryan Edwards has a 100 percentile Breakout Age (best in class) and his Dominator Score is second in the class at 48.4- Zyphros is all over this guy (not sure lightning can strike twice with Zyphros' predictions, but he did accurately predict Preston Williams in 2019)
Jalen Reagor is quite possibly very under rated. His Breakout Age is 3rd in the class (1% less than Higgins)

Some notable WRs that meet the 25 DR but not 30 DR:

Jerry Jeudy
Tee Higgins
Donovan Peoples-Jones

If there is interest to see the spreadsheet itself I can post or PM a link
Please post the spreadsheet!

Doc, thanks for taking the time both to do this and to publish it ahead of the draft.  It's always great to see someone else's Secret Sauce.

You mentioned a couple times that you're not sure what a statistically significant difference is between the NFL hit rate and your model, could you please tell us how many WRs were used in each round?  10 years is a great sample size but I don't know how many WRs fall into each round on average.

Higgins' dominator is 29.7 I assume you're not rounding in that case and keeping him the sub 30% category?  It's still in the 50th percentile, so have you thought about their % category being the mark rather than the DR?  That's pretty much as close as you're going to get.  

I have a lot of raw data in the spreadsheet, and I was thinking this morning how I really need to quantify it and create a "number" of some kind that I can use to distinguish between two players or identify value targets

I was able to create a formula to take the raw data and make something out of it. This creates a rating for each player that is still a raw number, for now, but the higher the number the more likely the hit. I think this is a great way to distinguish between two players, or identify players that might have increased chances at hitting with less rookie draft capital required. It basically sums up everything that I've said so far into one number that "likes" or "dislikes" certain players. 
I forget, and I looked above and couldn't find it, but did you post a link to the sheet? Or if you are willing to PM me read-only access, I'd appreciate it. I think it's likely a very useful tool. I've been following this thread since you first started developing this and I definitely think there is something to it. Would love to see the sheet, though.  

Thanks @Dr. Dan for putting yourself out there. I won’t thank you for the PJ Masks avatar, as my 2 year old sees it and starts yelling “Pj mask” at me. 
That said, please don’t change it to Blippi or something.

2019 Results are In:

2019 was huge for this theory/method

3 of the top 24 finishers did not meet the criteria. 1 has missing data due to being a converted QB.

Of the 3 that were exceptions, 2 were wr2s, 1 was a wr1 (and the WR1).

83% of the top 12 met the criteria. 1 was an exception, one does not have college data

83% of the wr2s met the criteria as well

2019 results strengthened the model, pushing the "true positives" (predicted misses) from 92% to approximately 94%

The trend continues to be that an exception will be someone who misses on Breakout Age only. Missing on Dominator Rating seems like a death sentence to wr3 or lower territory. 
This has been a very interesting thread to read through.  Well done 

Trying to update this live as we go, although from here on out we are looking at UDFA in most rookie drafts

Link

I made some changes/updates. Due to these changes, I updated the title of this thread to reflect what this is actually showing.

Most notably, columns B and C are new this year, which show the percentages of players who have hit/missed with that player's same profile since 2010. Please note, I am not saying that each player has that much of a percent chance to hit/miss, rather that past players who fit that same profile have hit/missed at those percentages. To come up with these percentages, I have taken data that I have previously presented "raw" to you all and run through equations to determine each player's maximum score in each category (profile hit/miss%). The shared copy (provided above) leaves out a lot of this shown work, which to make it much easier to keep you all out of the weeds, and focuses on the profile of the WR. 

Some definitions and background information

Hit: A WR who has a single top 24 season in their career
Profile Hit Percentage: The percent of players with the same profile that have hit since 2010
Profile Miss Percentage: The percent of players with the same profile that have missed since 2010

Hit Rates of All NFL Draft Picks Since 2010

1st round: 47% 
2nd round: 37% 
3rd round: 23% 
good stuff. shouldn't column B and C add up to 100% in every case? because they don't. aiyuk, duvernay, some others.......

Thanks everyone- As long as I am able, I will post a link following the NFL draft. I have some leaguemates in another league that drafts late, and they frequent this forum, but they can use all the help they can get (ha! just kidding, especially BSS- he's loaded. I'm not sure how much stock they put into this and it wont affect my picks anyways I think). 

My main dynasty drafts the week after the draft, but I have officially traded my late 1sts so I'm fine sharing with all as long as I can. 

For those without access to a google doc, I will post some numbers here if able. 
Appreciate it Dan, :)

Interesting stuff.

So, based on this avoid Ruggs, Aiyuk, PIttman, and Claypool. 

One thing worth looking at with your model is a careful analysis of each "miss." So Tyreek Hill is a miss. Of course he was a miss for NFL GMs too. But his speed was something that might have suggested that maybe he would be an exception. Which is where Ruggs comes in. So he may end up bucking your model because his speed is other worldly. And he also has high draft capital so he will be given every chance to succeed. And as others have said, teams with many studs pose a challenge for Dominator measure.

• Smile
Reactions: LBH
Why doesn't the model like Pittman? Is it just the late breakout?

The rest of the avoid's really tickled my confirmation bias.

I really don't know what to make of this data. So last year, 5 predicted misses (McLaurin, Diontae Johnson, Hollywood Brown, Deebo Samuel, and Darius Slayton) ended up as some of the better WRs in this class. Not trying to knock you AT ALL Dr. Dan.. but how much confidence should we have in this system if so many "predicted misses" were great hits? Is there a factor I'm missing here? And I am very grateful of all the work you're doing here, swear I'm not trying to be snarky at all! 

I'd direct you to the definition of a hit

Only 1 WR hit last year, AJB. 

I can admit that I got a little antsy with my results at the end of the season and should not have counted anyone from 2018 or 2019 as misses yet. Going forward I'm not classifying wrs until after 3 seasons. 

Only 1 WR hit last year, AJB, and his profile fits that of a hit. 
and no doubt AJB was grand slam homerun, drafted him everywhere I could, out of my 10 dynasty leagues think I got him in 5 of them, and never once passed on him. 

Users who are viewing this thread