Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The homelessness problem in Seattle, LA,Portland, and SF


Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, stlrams said:

I wouldn’t stay in the city unless you enjoy people beggging for handouts, urinating on streets, sleeping everywhere and doing drugs with police looking the other way.  Would stay outside and travel in for sight seeing or a giant game which we enjoyed. Nice ballpark.  I would also recommend Alcatraz.  

So.....what’s not to love?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, huthut said:

I cannot tell if you are joking or not, but that article is from 2015.

Edit: Nm, saw the line about Trump cutting the budget going toward helping end homelessness. 

Trump was never mentioned in the link. Its Huffpo 2015 Obama was saving the homeless. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, glvsav37 said:

yet all the mayors of the cities the OP listed, including NYC and Honolulu are all Democrats?  coincidence? 

Blame the fed all you want, but this is a local problem and needs to be addressed at a lower, situational level.

We need to stop expecting the Fed to bail us out of every problem. We are a nation of independent states for a reason. The country is just too large for the feds to solve every issue. 

Edit to add: Watching the news report listed and all the people on the ground (cops, civil service) claim they have been told by their local govt to esetially stand down and let it happen. Who makes those decisions, not the feds?  

Edit 2: it seems the program they profile in RI is working and RI has a Democratic governor and mayor, so credit where it's due. I don't like making party generalizations but there is a common thread in those other cities.

:sarcasm:

Yes, I'm awear. Did you see the link said nothing about Trump. Or the link posted above it. The Fed gave HUD an additional 130 million in 2018 The current total is 2.5 Billion spent on the homeless.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, E Street Brat said:

Trump was never mentioned in the link. Its Huffpo 2015 Obama was saving the homeless. 

Great, now I misread misreading it. I saw the article had an update from 2017 and thought the line mentioning 2017 was a recent update. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, E Street Brat said:

:sarcasm:

Yes, I'm awear. Did you see the link said nothing about Trump. Or the link posted above it. The Fed gave HUD an additional 130 million in 2018 The current total is 2.5 Billion spent on the homeless.  

my bad...but then lets pivot then and ask, where the F is the money going? Because apparently, whatever its funding (if anything), it's not working. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am tired of the homeless. Yeah, I know that opinion isn't popular, but I am sick of the constant begging. I hate the people in the medians looking for money and the idiots who stop their car to give to them and ultimately hold up traffic or worse yet, cause accidents. I am not feeding their addiction. I am not going to enable their "life-style" choices. I am tired of the camping in the parks and leaving their trash everywhere, which tax payers have to foot the bill for the clean up. I dislike the homeless advocates who file objection after objection to proposed ordinances that businesses are trying to be put in place to help them attract customers and stop people from sleeping on their doorstops.

I do have sympathy for the homeless, mentally ill, who have fallen through the  cracks and society has discarded. These numbers surprisingly include a lot of veterans who didn't get the appropriate care for their PTSD.  I think these people are the ones we should focus on and spend whatever it takes to help them. 

Our homeless population exploded here in Colorado once marijuana was legalized. It was like someone flipped a switch and every corner had someone on it.  The downtown area has worked hard to make it family friendly and have tired to enact some ordinances to prohibit panhandling and camping on the sidewalks, but these are always being opposed by someone. You literally having small businesses going out of business due to the lack of customers because no one wants to deal with the hassle of going downtown and the aggressive beggars. They had an auto shop owner on the other night and he is packing it in because his shop is close to a shelter and the amount of vandalism and trash, such as needles and human waste, is causing a huge loss in his customers.  

What is funny is you have all these people screaming for affordable housing, yet these will be the same hypocrites who will fight when someone proposes it be built anywhere near them. 

I have some proposed solutions, but none of them are PC and will get me flamed for proposing. The fact of the matter is this problem is only going to get worse. 

There I have vented....

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2019 at 10:25 AM, stlrams said:

Spend 2 days a few years ago as part of vacation in SF.  Will never go back.  Read a few articles saying city losing tourism dollars and major conferences...

I worked as a sales engineer for large software companies for 10 years, and hated it when they held their conferences there. Had to go there numerous times. 

Once I was there over the weekend, so my wife flew out to join me. Met her at the airport and we took the train into downtown Saturday morning. First place she wanted to see was the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market. So we get off the train at that station, take the steps up to the street, and as she's getting her first glimpse of the city, I #### you not... about 200 to 300 bicyclers ride by right in front of us, and every single one of them was buck naked.

As you may know, most of my life I was a born again christian (not any more) and so is my wife (still is). I think she is still emotionally shocked about that event. She's never asked to go back to SF, and I don't bring it up. 

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

I worked as a sales engineer for large software companies for 10 years, and hated it when they held their conferences there. Had to go there numerous times. 

Once I was there over the weekend, so my wife flew out to join me. Met her at the airport and we took the train into downtown Saturday morning. First place she wanted to see was the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market. So we get off the train at that station, take the steps up to the street, and as she's getting her first glimpse of the city, I #### you not... about 200 to 300 bicyclers ride by right in front of us, and every single one of them was buck naked.

As you may know, most of my life I was a born again christian (not any more) and so is my wife (still is). I think she is still emotionally shocked about that event. She's never asked to go back to SF, and I don't bring it up. 

:lol:

Sorry man.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

I worked as a sales engineer for large software companies for 10 years, and hated it when they held their conferences there. Had to go there numerous times. 

Once I was there over the weekend, so my wife flew out to join me. Met her at the airport and we took the train into downtown Saturday morning. First place she wanted to see was the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market. So we get off the train at that station, take the steps up to the street, and as she's getting her first glimpse of the city, I #### you not... about 200 to 300 bicyclers ride by right in front of us, and every single one of them was buck naked.

As you may know, most of my life I was a born again christian (not any more) and so is my wife (still is). I think she is still emotionally shocked about that event. She's never asked to go back to SF, and I don't bring it up. 

I didn’t elaborate why I hate sf and will never go back but here’s two reasons. 

1) coming out of our downtown hotel day 1, we see a naked guy sitting on a chair on the sidewalk.  Wife and 2 kids 13 and 11.

2) Having lunch downtown in nice restaurant with family.  We had table at front window, 2 homeless guys get into fight right outside and one guy gets pushed up against window right near us.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2019 at 6:22 AM, Ilov80s said:

These days? The city has a long and storied history of being a cess pool

It’s gotten really, really bad.  There are streets in Bayview that are completely blocked by mountains of garbage, drug addicts line Market, it smells like #### everywhere.  I’ve never seen it like this.

Lack of housing is a huge issue.  SF and Oakland have begun to ramp up, but they can’t carry the entire Bay Area.  The surrounding cities have mountains of space, but they fight tooth and nail against new housing.

Edited by jonessed
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, jonessed said:

It’s gotten really, really bad.  There are streets in Bayview that are completely blocked by mountains of garbage, drug addicts line Market, it smells like #### everywhere.  I’ve never seen it like this.

Lack of housing is a huge issue.  SF and Oakland have begun to ramp up, but they can’t carry the entire Bay Area.  The surrounding cities have mountains of space, but they fight tooth and nail against new housing.

Yeah the incredible division between the have and have nots there seems insane. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They just built some small new apartments by public transit near me, and all of the old people are going nuts about it. They want houses to still be worth $1200 sqft, while simultaneously having 0 population growth since 1975.  

Edited by huthut
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...