What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just gave 2 weeks notice. (wasn't received well) Update: Nobody puts baby in a corner!! (1 Viewer)

KCitons

Footballguy
I've been teetering on giving my notice since October. Decided to stick it out through the holidays. (then a little longer, and a little longer,)

Yesterday I had a meeting with my boss (the reason I'm leaving). She has progressively moved more and more responsibilities to me from other people on our team that handle it. I've suggested firing and hiring people that can. But, she believes she's this great coach and can turn people around. (even though one of the low performers has been reporting to her for 2 years)

Anyway, I decided to move on. I turned in my resignation letter about an hour ago. She asked if I wanted to elaborate. I said, "not really, I don't want this to turn into an argument. It won't change anything". She picked up the letter and said, "this is bull####". Then went on a rant. I told her I felt it was best to have HR involved if we are going to discuss things any further. She continued to berate me as I gathered my things. 

I wonder if they are going to have me finish out the two weeks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you talked to HR about your boss?

eta: sounds like your boss confirmed your issue with her. 

yikes!  That sounds incredibly unprofessional on her part.  I would go to HR immediately before she does something stupid.

There is nothing wrong with her asking you why you want to leave, but as soon as you said you did not want to elaborate a simple hand shake and wishing you good luck was all that was required along with chatting about how to pass on your stuff over the coming 2 weeks.

Have you talked to HR about your boss?

eta: sounds like your boss confirmed your issue with her. 
This would have been the kiss of death. And you're right, it confirms what I've known all along. My boss is nice to those that make her life easier. Once you no longer benefit her, the teeth come out.

yikes!  That sounds incredibly unprofessional on her part.  I would go to HR immediately before she does something stupid.

There is nothing wrong with her asking you why you want to leave, but as soon as you said you did not want to elaborate a simple hand shake and wishing you good luck was all that was required along with chatting about how to pass on your stuff over the coming 2 weeks.
Such as?

It depends on just how screwed they are without you. I wouldn't bet on it though.
On a scale of 1 - 10. (ten being royally screwed) There at a 9.5. She failed to build bench strength behind me. (even though I've been asking for months)

Yesterday I had a meeting with my boss (the reason I'm leaving). She has progressively moved more and more responsibilities to me from other people on our team that handle it. I've suggested firing and hiring people that can. But, she believes she's this great coach and can turn people around. (even though one of the low performers has been reporting to her for 2 years)
"If you want something to get done ... assign to a busy person."

I've run into this mindset too many times ... especially in the public sector, where incompetence and job security are decoupled from one another. 

EDIT: It's associated, also, a lot with the mindset that anyone can just quickly pick up complicated skill sets with a few hands-off classroom trainings. Don't consider anyone's educational background, demonstrated aptitudes, short-term work history ... oh no. Throw all your personnel into the same hat -- that way, you can promote whoever it's politically favorable to promote ... because you can "train them up" into whatever skill is required in their new, better job. If they can't hack the new job for whatever reason? No worries ... that busy guy over there will handle it!

I've been teetering on giving my notice since October. Decided to stick it out through the holidays. (then a little longer, and a little longer,)

Anyway, I decided to move on. I turned in my resignation letter about an hour ago. She asked if I wanted to elaborate. I said, "not really, I don't want this to turn into an argument. It won't change anything". She picked up the letter and said, "this is bull####". Then went on a rant. I told her I felt it was best to have HR involved if we are going to discuss things any further. She continued to berate me as I gathered my things. 

I wonder if they are going to have me finish out the two weeks?
Haha sounds like a NO on that one. Take it as a compliment, if you weren’t valuable she wouldn’t have cared. Best of luck with the new opportunity!

Haha sounds like a NO on that one. Take it as a compliment, if you weren’t valuable she wouldn’t have cared. Best of luck with the new opportunity!
True. We had a lower level person quit yesterday morning. She was smiling and joking about it. 

A few years ago I was working at a job where my workload kept increasing. Several employees had quit in the previous year, but no one had been hired to replace them. When I would ask the owner about it, he would just blow me off.

After about a year, the owner finally hired someone. But the new employee and the owner both made it clear that the new guy would only be acting as a "Manager" -- and he would not be doing any of the actual work that the other employees did.

When I pointed out that this didn't really resolve the workload issues, the manager replied, "Well, that's why my job is to make sure that everyone does a better job managing their time."

The owner echoed those sentiments, and added, "If anyone has a problem with that, then they better start looking for a new job."

I started looking for a new job that afternoon, and by the end of the week I found my next gig. When I informed the owner, he blew a gasket and started screaming at me about how ungrateful and disloyal I was. I told him I was very grateful that he gave me an opportunity 15 years ago, but gratitude cannot compensate for the frustration and low morale.

He then said, "Do you realize how much you're screwing me? I'm going to have to hire two new people to fill your role!"

At that point I no longer felt bad about quitting.

Looking back, quitting that job was one of the best things I've ever done, and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

A few years ago I was working at a job where my workload kept increasing. Several employees had quit in the previous year, but no one had been hired to replace them. When I would ask the owner about it, he would just blow me off.

After about a year, the owner finally hired someone. But the new employee and the owner both made it clear that the new guy would only be acting as a "Manager" -- and he would not be doing any of the actual work that the other employees did.

When I pointed out that this didn't really resolve the workload issues, the manager replied, "Well, that's why my job is to make sure that everyone does a better job managing their time."

The owner echoed those sentiments, and added, "If anyone has a problem with that, then they better start looking for a new job."

I started looking for a new job that afternoon, and by the end of the week I found my next gig. When I informed the owner, he blew a gasket and started screaming at me about how ungrateful and disloyal I was. I told him I was very grateful that he gave me an opportunity 15 years ago, but gratitude cannot compensate for the frustration and low morale.

He then said, "Do you realize how much you're screwing me? I'm going to have to hire two new people to fill your role!"

Looking back, quitting that job was one of the best things I've ever done, and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.
It's amazing how many companies and managers are shortsighted like this. Constantly willing to sacrifice people for short-term gains when the long-term costs are higher.

I told my wife, this is the best I've felt in 6-8 months. When I left this morning, I was in a great mood. And now, I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off me. 

I know everyone has different situations. But, you owe it to yourself to find a place that treats you well. There are lots of places, with lots of bosses. If you're unhappy, find one that make you happy. 

"If you want something to get done ... assign to a busy person."

I've run into this mindset too many times ... especially in the public sector, where incompetence and job security are decoupled from one another. 

EDIT: It's associated, also, a lot with the mindset that anyone can just quickly pick up complicated skill sets with a few hands-off classroom trainings. Don't consider anyone's educational background, demonstrated aptitudes, short-term work history ... oh no. Throw all your personnel into the same hat -- that way, you can promote whoever it's politically favorable to promote ... because you can "train them up" into whatever skill is required in their new, better job. If they can't hack the new job for whatever reason? No worries ... that busy guy over there will handle it!
The more you get done the more they give you to do. We call it performance punishment.

Meanwhile the malcontents and lazy idiots  aren’t asked to do more than the absolute minimum.

That would have pissed me off...I would have been like,” i’ve Been doing the work of two people, so you have been screwing me...”

GroveDiesel said:

It's amazing how many companies and managers are shortsighted like this. Constantly willing to sacrifice people for short-term gains when the long-term costs are higher.

I don't pretend to be a rock star. I know I'm replaceable.

But I do feel like the owner took me for granted. He knew that he could count on me to handle more and more work while more and more employees moved on to better opportunities.

By the time he hired the new manager, we were short 4 employees (2 in my department). But we didn't have the budget to hire 4 people. And the new manager basically told the owner, "If you hire me, then I'll make the company so efficient that you won't even need to hire anyone else!"

What a bill of goods.

On a scale of 1 - 10. (ten being royally screwed) There at a 9.5. She failed to build bench strength behind me. (even though I've been asking for months)
Just providing devils advoicate. There is no way that is the number. 9.5 means they are going bankrupt. Likely they are between 5 and 6. People typically overrate their company’s dependence on themselves. 

That said, from your note above sounds like you are getting out of a bad situation. Kind of reinforces your decision.  

Just providing devils advoicate. There is no way that is the number. 9.5 means they are going bankrupt. Likely they are between 5 and 6. People typically overrate their company’s dependence on themselves. 

That said, from your note above sounds like you are getting out of a bad situation. Kind of reinforces your decision.  
You're 100% correct. It's probably a 6 over the next month or two. Then it will be a countdown the 6 months after that. 

Just listen to the guy and go tell HR that you put in your two weeks and what she did.

We don't need a thread in a week or two about how you are getting railroaded for something stupid and in trouble for something.  Leave a voicemail for them now about quitting and wanting to talk to them about unprofessional behaviors.

Users who are viewing this thread