What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just gave 2 weeks notice. (wasn't received well) Update: Nobody puts baby in a corner!! (1 Viewer)

Take in a bunch of Halloween cards, Christmas cards, and fill them out for the next couple of years. Write a book. Create a game. Draw some pictures. Many options.

No fing way would I be emasculated in this way.   I would only fullfill my two weeks in the same way I did it during my tenure.   I wouldn't give them this satisfaction.

Leave, sue them if they don't pay you for the two weeks. 
I don't think they have to pay me if I leave. 
Ron has good advice and probably has forgotten more about this type of stuff than we will learn.  That said, you don't seem to need the money in either case.  Your pride is worth more than that. :2cents:  

1) I usually see things differently than most so, take my opinions with a grain of salt.

2) in the grand scheme of things this doesn't matter much at this point in your career. Seems you've decided to stick it to them some way and I get it. It will matter more to you than the company as you reflect on your last weeks there.

My read: You professionally put in your resignation and expected professionalism back. The boss went off the rails and made you feel uncomfortable. You went to HR mistakingly thinking that things would be made easier for you. They don't give a crap about you... they exist to protect the company and keep employees happy enough to work there. HR met with your boss. You were probably thrown under the bus by your boss as she had to protect her reputation/career. Since HR is only concerned about the company and your boss is s still with the company, you are being put in the corner for your remaining time. You forced the matter going to a Dept that has zero consideration for you.

Honestly, what did you expect HR to do?Discipline your boss who is staying with the company? She is part of their future for better or worse. You are not. Couldn't you have just told the boss something like, "I see that you are emotional about this and it's making me uncomfortable. Can we pick this up tomorrow?" Then leave the room since you are quitting and there would be no repercussions anyway? 

Of course, I was not there so... Best of luck with this and your retirement. 
I appreciate your input. I welcome people that can look at it differently. I'm aware that I may not be looking at it from all sides. 

I haven't decided to stick it to them. But, I'm not going to be treated like a second class citizen after all the things I've done for them. If that's there intent, then why do they deserve any better.

I reached out to HR due to some of the comments here. I really didn't expect to speak to HR until my exit interview on my last day. 

As to the bolded, I did exactly that. When she asked why I was leaving, I actually took the bullet and told her that I may not be the right fit for this position. That someone else may be able to do all the things she was requesting. My staying was just hurting the organization. She then asked for me to elaborate. I said that, "I didn't think it was a good idea. That it was just going to lead to an argument". She then picked up my resignation letter and said it was bull####. I stood up and said that it would be best to have HR present for any further discussions. She began raising her voice. I admitted to raising my voice back at her. I walked 30 feet away to my desk and she came out of her office and yelled across the room at me some more. I gathered my things and left the building. 

As soon as you get to a cube complain about the lighting, chair, desk, monitor, etc.  Actually, tell them you can't be sitting that long that's why you preferred your previous role of visiting the other locations.  It's medically not possible for you to sit there that long unless they get you a stand up desk.  If they want a Dr.s note you will have to make an appointment and take sick time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way that I would write those SOPs is if you like any of the people that were going to be doing your work.  If you don't like those people, I would just walk away.   Your boss deserves nothing from you after treating you like crap.  

If you are going to write the SOPs, send an email to your boss and copy HR telling her that you will be writing the SOPs from home and will be emailing them to her on your last day.  

The only way that I would write those SOPs is if you like any of the people that were going to be doing your work.  If you don't like those people, I would just walk away.   Your boss deserves nothing from you after treating you like crap.  

If you are going to write the SOPs, send an email to your boss and copy HR telling her that you will be writing the SOPs from home and will be emailing them to her on your last day.  
Amen to this.  Despite the boss being an unprofessional nimrod, I wouldn't want to screw over my co-workers by leaving them hanging and having no idea what to do once I am gone. 

WHy didn't you use all your sick time before putting in the 2 weeks?  That way you wouldn't have to worry about anything, and you could have basically just quit on the spot.  

As others have said, don't screw your coworkers if you actually like any of them.  Help them out before you go.  You will feel better about things.

Going to HR was still the right move to protect yourself from something the crazy boss could do. 

Watch "Office Space" and take on that persona for a while.  It will be liberating.  

Also, you are probably doing more work thinking about all this stuff the past few days than you have ever done since you have worked there.  Relax.  If you have to go to the main office for a week or whatever, so be it.  Just go.  Be lazy as hell.  Meet new people.  Take long lunches.  Post here a lot.  Take another lunch.  Post  here more.  Work for 15 minutes.  Go home.  

Not an employment attorney...

But .. if they are treating the ither manager who just resigned as well quite differently... gender  age etc if that other manager different from you?

I appreciate your input. I welcome people that can look at it differently. I'm aware that I may not be looking at it from all sides. 

I haven't decided to stick it to them. But, I'm not going to be treated like a second class citizen after all the things I've done for them. If that's there intent, then why do they deserve any better.

I reached out to HR due to some of the comments here. I really didn't expect to speak to HR until my exit interview on my last day. 

As to the bolded, I did exactly that. When she asked why I was leaving, I actually took the bullet and told her that I may not be the right fit for this position. That someone else may be able to do all the things she was requesting. My staying was just hurting the organization. She then asked for me to elaborate. I said that, "I didn't think it was a good idea. That it was just going to lead to an argument". She then picked up my resignation letter and said it was bull####. I stood up and said that it would be best to have HR present for any further discussions. She began raising her voice. I admitted to raising my voice back at her. I walked 30 feet away to my desk and she came out of her office and yelled across the room at me some more. I gathered my things and left the building. 

Many years ago, I was in a somewhat similar situation.  New manager hired in.  We clashed.  He dumped more and more work on me.  I had written my letter of resignation.  When the manager found out about it (they monitored our computers unbeknownst to employees).... he fired me first.  He wrote a letter of my termination where he outlined his view on my performance (he was only my boss 4 weeks).  He visited a customer when my newly developed material under-performed (customer replaced key part - he know & never shared).  He offered me his version to sign... I wrote 7 letters in big caps across the letter and walked out.  3 Weeks later, I had a lawyer friend write a threatening letter about "wrongful termination".  

We settled out of court, but the biggest thing I wanted was a HAND WRITTEN apology from him.  Not some admin written scribble.  I knew his hand writing & it was more painful for him than paying out $$.   He had a heart attack 4 months later.  His replacement tried to hire me back...  not a chance! 

As for your situation, there are some key things mentioned here and some you identified:

1) You communicated in a professional manner of your intent to resign.  It should have been honored professionally with minimal inquiry.  

2) You had requested (hopefully in writing) for the need to additional resources / support to handle the work your area.  It is upon management to address this issue.  If they ignore it, they can deal with the repercussions.  Not making you feel guilty or berating you for their mistake(s). 

3) Their attempt to demean and "handle" you by moving your location is demonstration of their lack of ethics and you should not be obligated to complete the "SOP's" they now realize they need since they did not address #2 above.  Let them figure it out and write them.  Unless it is part of your prior job description, you are not obligated to do it.  You are only helping your manager by cleaning up her mess.  

4) Leave with dignity.  Do not feign sick or ignore them.  Face them head on and tell them what your limits are.  Do not sit in a corner.  Work from Home is fine if they want you isolated.  But not on petty stuff they want, but your normal tasks and responsibilities.  They can figure out their mess.  

I went back through my job description and there is no mention of writing SOP's. The closest thing is "identifying operational best practices".

I once gave about 2 months notice and was eventually moved out of my sweet office into an internal office with no windows.  Me and my buddies had a good laugh about it, but I didn't take it as an insult or personally in any way.  They probably want to move you to isolate you from interacting with others in your area, poisoning the waters.  It might seem stupid, but is completely normal.

I would ignore 90% of the "advice" here.   You want to end it in a way that befits the way you worked during your time there.  I can see walking out of a job with a big "FU" if you're a fry cook or other short term menial job, and have done so myself, but this is different.  I don't understand people who get satisfaction from acting that way, even if they feel they were somehow mistreated.  Its almost always better to take the high road in these situations.  Busy, hard-working, quality employees always get more work than others - its the way things are done at every company everywhere across all industries throughout history, under good managers and bad.  Let it go and ride off into the sunset with class and dignity. Think about how you'll look back on these couple weeks in the years to come and how you want to remember it and how you want to be remembered.

Ask HR about the sick rules. Follow whatever they say. The 3 day then note thing is pretty standard I think.

Writing out the job duties seems pretty easy so I’d knock those out. Hand them in on the last day.

If the 2 weeks pay thing is an issue if they fire you and try to not pay is it going to be worth the hassle to get the money? 

I once gave about 2 months notice and was eventually moved out of my sweet office into an internal office with no windows.  Me and my buddies had a good laugh about it, but I didn't take it as an insult or personally in any way.  They probably want to move you to isolate you from interacting with others in your area, poisoning the waters.  It might seem stupid, but is completely normal.

I would ignore 90% of the "advice" here.   You want to end it in a way that befits the way you worked during your time there.  I can see walking out of a job with a big "FU" if you're a fry cook or other short term menial job, and have done so myself, but this is different.  I don't understand people who get satisfaction from acting that way, even if they feel they were somehow mistreated.  Its almost always better to take the high road in these situations.  Busy, hard-working, quality employees always get more work than others - its the way things are done at every company everywhere across all industries throughout history, under good managers and bad.  Let it go and ride off into the sunset with class and dignity. Think about how you'll look back on these couple weeks in the years to come and how you want to remember it and how you want to be remembered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIqeXSYc8nE

Ask HR about the sick rules. Follow whatever they say. The 3 day then note thing is pretty standard I think.

Writing out the job duties seems pretty easy so I’d knock those out. Hand them in on the last day.

If the 2 weeks pay thing is an issue if they fire you and try to not pay is it going to be worth the hassle to get the money? 
The employee handbook doesn't say anything about requiring a doctors note after a certain number of sick days. 

I have my list of tasks done already. The SOP's will take two days max. I won't be able to hand them all in on the last day. Her words, "As you write that SOPs, please be as thorough as possible, making sure you write it for someone without any exposure to that process/software. Once you have one completed, please send it to me. I will review and reach back out if I need further clarification" 

At this point, it's about the principle. There are some people that I have built relationships with. They are keeping me from having contact with them during my last two weeks. Some have already reached out to me via phone. Others, want to get together for lunch after things settle. They aren't preventing me from having contact with anyone. I think it's kind of funny the amount of overthinking they are doing now. A small percentage of that thinking would have kept them out of this situation in the first place. 

I went back through my job description and there is no mention of writing SOP's. The closest thing is "identifying operational best practices".
Meh, that kind of thing won't be in a job description and I would also request that of any long term employee that was leaving.  As a manger I won't necessarily know all the ins and outs of what my employees are doing, they will be the expert on the details.  Now I get that your manager sounds bad so you don't have motivation to write SOPs and I don't blame you.  In your situation I certainly wouldn't put a ton of effort into it.  I'm not sure if you will have an exit interview or not, but I would probably just be honest and detail the reasons you are leaving in a professional well thought out email to HR.  Reiterate they can choose to ignore your observations or use them to help improve the organization.

And why are these SOPs not already available? Shouldn’t SOPs come first?
This is part of the rub. I've streamlined a ton of processes during my time there. But, I did it without any SOPs for help. When I had to get one of the parking lots repaired, nobody even had a blueprint to determine which part was ours and which was the neighbors on each side. I had to hunt down blueprints, zone documents, etc to verify. This is a location that had been open for 6 years before my arrival. 

And why are these SOPs not already available? Shouldn’t SOPs come first?
In a lot of jobs, employees end up teaching themselves how to do certain things. Especially in positions where there is a lot of mission creep and small tasks, software upgrades/changes, etc. accumulate over time.

Often, in these kinds of environments ... the sharp packhorse employees handle so much so comfortably (from management's perspective) that SOPs/job aids -- if they even come to mind -- are always something that can be handled "when things get slow" or "down the road" or even "when Packhorse puts in his/her two weeks". SOPs can be helpful, but generating them is also overhead. In a lot of offices, management really never countenances changes to the status quo -- assuming tomorrow will be like today and yesterday works well enough most of the time. Until it doesn't. 

The bolded is true. I've given a lot to this organization the short time I've been here. When I was promoted, I gave back half of my bump because I didn't want us to become top heavy. I wanted to make sure we didn't have to few people. I've worked evenings and weekends. Did everything that was asked of me. That's probably the reason I'm in this situation. I should have said "no" more often. 

But, I feel like a sucker now. 

Make sure to leave some fish in the microwave for 10+ minutes on your last day.  Or use popcorn...or both.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao:

I received and email from my boss outlining my tasks over the next 10 days (actually 9, since I took a sick day today). I have 3 locations under the scope of my job description. She is telling me that I will not be working in those locations for the remainder of my time. They are putting me in a cube in the main office. I am to write SOP's for every aspect of my job, send them to her via email, and she will ask for clarification if there is anything she doesn't understand. If I need anything from any of the other locations, I am to stop by and pick them up on my way to the main office. 

I think I know my next move. Curious what others think. 
Told you they would try. 

Meh, that kind of thing won't be in a job description and I would also request that of any long term employee that was leaving.  As a manager I won't necessarily know all the ins and outs of what my employees are doing, they will be the expert on the details. 
This is OK if there is redundancy built into your organization ... where for any given task, two or more people know how to do it competently. Or else it might be reasonable for some tasks that someone sharp can step in and teach themselves quickly.

But if you've got a team of "black boxes" where no one is backed up and no one really knows what anyone else is doing ... that usually leads to trouble before long.

Told you they would try. 
You were correct. 

I'm looking for a new life coach. From now on, I will defer to you for all my decision making. 

It doesn't pay much. But, since I'm retiring, it will be  mostly decisions on what time to get out of bed and at what time should I mix my first cocktail. (I promise not to over task you)

This is OK if there is redundancy built into your organization ... where for any given task, two or more people know how to do it competently. Or else it might be reasonable for some tasks that someone sharp can step in and teach themselves quickly.

But if you've got a team of "black boxes" where no one is backed up and no one really knows what anyone else is doing ... that usually leads to trouble before long.
I agree with that, and for my teams I always had someone that could at least perform the tasks, maybe not as efficiently but adequately.

I agree with that, and for my teams I always had someone that could at least perform the tasks, maybe not as efficiently but adequately.
This is/was the issue with my job. I could do everyone else's job in the building adequately. I knew every system. (I have even filled in for a day driving an 18' box truck) That wasn't necessarily by design. It was just a byproduct of the job. So, there are people that should know how to do bits and pieces of my job. However, my boss doesn't have the knowledge or ability to orchestrate them all to achieve results. 

My place of business rarely keeps people for the full two weeks after they give notice, but based on what I have heard through the grapevine, the ex-workers who were told they could go early still got their full two weeks of pay. 
This is the smart thing to do.  There are legit reasons for not keeping people around and as an employer if you don't want to and the employee doesn't want to voluntarily leave early, then you should pay them for the 2 weeks.  Eliminates potential lawsuits, UI claims, etc...

I was looking through my One Drive and I found an SOP that I started over a year ago for one of the programs I managed. 

10 minutes of polish and it should be gtg. 

I wonder what they are going to do with me if I finish all their SOP's in one day?

You were correct. 

I'm looking for a new life coach. From now on, I will defer to you for all my decision making. 

It doesn't pay much. But, since I'm retiring, it will be  mostly decisions on what time to get out of bed and at what time should I mix my first cocktail. (I promise not to over task you)
Never before 11 unless your tee time demands it. First cocktail is always before noon.

The employee handbook doesn't say anything about requiring a doctors note after a certain number of sick days. 

I have my list of tasks done already. The SOP's will take two days max. I won't be able to hand them all in on the last day. Her words, "As you write that SOPs, please be as thorough as possible, making sure you write it for someone without any exposure to that process/software. Once you have one completed, please send it to me. I will review and reach back out if I need further clarification" 

At this point, it's about the principle. There are some people that I have built relationships with. They are keeping me from having contact with them during my last two weeks. Some have already reached out to me via phone. Others, want to get together for lunch after things settle. They aren't preventing me from having contact with anyone. I think it's kind of funny the amount of overthinking they are doing now. A small percentage of that thinking would have kept them out of this situation in the first place. 
I'd take a long time on the SOP's. Wait for her to ask for them a couple times.

I'd be very tempted to schedule a lot of doctor's appointments. Sick time where I just call in is probably fair as well (although you kind of are milking that situation if you want to have the total high ground here).

I would also be very tempted to get petty with your boss since she is being crazy here but also wouldn't do anything where she gets to "win" this situation in the eyes of co-workers, HR either for just weeks or so worth of pay. Totally get you want to stick it to her though.

Bottom line is you are out of this situation in 8 days or so. I would do as little as possible, meet up with co-workers for lunch. Drink some coffee, schedule lots of doctors stuff you have been putting off (eye exam, ear's checked, all that stuff you put off...at least I do).

Situation I found my self in. 

Loved the company, loved the people I worked with, but the boss was bat ### crazy. The family and I are moving in 3 months to another state........2 months out I give my boss notice so that they can maybe get a replacement and/or offload my duties to others in the department.  The first couple of weeks I would as her who I should be transitioning XXX to, who should I show how to do YYY.  Her answer was, we'll take that up next month during month end close.  So then next month comes along and there still is no transition plan and nothing being done about it.  We get to the last Monday (last day is Friday) and all of a sudden my Outlook calendar is filled with meeting requests from 9am to 9pm for the whole week.  I accept the ones during regular business hours and decline the others. This leads to an immediate phone call to come to her office.  She tells me that we've got a lot to do this week and that there is no way that it will fit into a normal 8-5 schedule (I politely reminded her of the 3 going away lunches that different departments were throwing for me the last 3 days, and that I didn't think that they would last just an hour..........she was not happy).  She calls her boss, I explain the situation to him regarding the last 7 weeks, he says "do the best you can during the time your here and be professional as you've always been".  I leave the last day and the exit review was normal.  Didn't complain, demean, or denounce anyone.

Move takes about a week.  Settled into the new house, getting ready to start the new job in about a month.  Start getting one off phone calls, which start to increase in frequency from the old staff.  I help out as best I can, but it continues to get worse to where I'm 'working" 3-4 hours a day, so I contact the old boss.  She says in an emails "since you left us in a bind" this is all that the team can do, "send us a bill for your time".  I guess that she underestimated the amount of time and the amount that value that I put on my personal time.  The 1st and only "consulting" bill from russinfortworth enterprises paid for a nice vacation for the family and put some money into college funds for the boys.  She was let go within a year and her career went backwards from there.  

I was looking through my One Drive and I found an SOP that I started over a year ago for one of the programs I managed. 

10 minutes of polish and it should be gtg. 

I wonder what they are going to do with me if I finish all their SOP's in one day?
Sprinkle in a few sick days while slow playing sending in your SOPs.   :ph34r:

I'd take a long time on the SOP's. Wait for her to ask for them a couple times.

I'd be very tempted to schedule a lot of doctor's appointments. Sick time where I just call in is probably fair as well (although you kind of are milking that situation if you want to have the total high ground here).

I would also be very tempted to get petty with your boss since she is being crazy here but also wouldn't do anything where she gets to "win" this situation in the eyes of co-workers, HR either for just weeks or so worth of pay. Totally get you want to stick it to her though.

Bottom line is you are out of this situation in 8 days or so. I would do as little as possible, meet up with co-workers for lunch. Drink some coffee, schedule lots of doctors stuff you have been putting off (eye exam, ear's checked, all that stuff you put off...at least I do).
I think she's done this already by removing me from the building. During our "heated" discussion on Friday, after I resigned, there was a hourly associate that walked by us. She told me to ask him to step out of the general office area. She didn't say another word until he did. That's when I knew she was wanting to speak without any witnesses. And when I walked to my desk. She's controlling the narrative at this point. That same hourly associate used to report to me. He called to tell me thanks for all I did for him during my time their. (got him promoted to a lead position). He knows the truth. Hopefully others do too. 

As far as doing as little as possible, I don't think that's going to work. I'm guessing they are putting me at the main office so somebody can keep an eye on me. If I take 61 minutes for lunch there will probably be someone waiting at the door with a stopwatch. 

I do need to have my eyes checked for new glasses. Been putting that off for awhile. And the doctor said I am at the age for a colonoscopy. (not sure that's a win for me.)

They're sending you to the main office to finish out your two weeks not to punish you but to prevent you from potentially building more of a harassment case against your boss. It is about HR protecting the company, not punishing you.
They would have just let him go at that moment if they cared about anything other than him teaching them how to do his job.

I think she's done this already by removing me from the building. During our "heated" discussion on Friday, after I resigned, there was a hourly associate that walked by us. She told me to ask him to step out of the general office area. She didn't say another word until he did. That's when I knew she was wanting to speak without any witnesses. And when I walked to my desk. She's controlling the narrative at this point. That same hourly associate used to report to me. He called to tell me thanks for all I did for him during my time their. (got him promoted to a lead position). He knows the truth. Hopefully others do too. 

As far as doing as little as possible, I don't think that's going to work. I'm guessing they are putting me at the main office so somebody can keep an eye on me. If I take 61 minutes for lunch there will probably be someone waiting at the door with a stopwatch. 

I do need to have my eyes checked for new glasses. Been putting that off for awhile. And the doctor said I am at the age for a colonoscopy. (not sure that's a win for me.)
Man. I believe you said you are retiring so you don't need anything else from this job. Crap situation but I'd just ride it out or leave, resist the urge to try and do anything drastic. People you work with know what's up.

I'd definitely schedule lots of Doc appointments you have earned those.

Users who are viewing this thread