What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Elvis (1 Viewer)

ZenoRazon

Footballguy
We all know his story, how Sam Phillips of Sun Records was looking for a white guy who could sing black. In walks this white kid just wanting to record a song for his mom. The rest is history so they say.

Where do we put Elvis?  He really wasn't country, blues, total rocker, so......rockabilly?...who did other things?

Listening to him telling Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins...

"boy, he did that song much better than me, he was a colored guy, Billy Ward and the Dominos, boy, much better than me"...as they all start picking Don't Be Cruel, as Elvis tries to mimic Warren.....good stuff.

I think the guy was great despite the fact he couldn't dance and was barely a guitar player.  (yes all the movies sucked)

So, what about Elvis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiY5auB3OWg

As we know he had a ton of number one hits and great songs, but that one just has ....it.

Billy Ward and The Dominos

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO-zHg3Q_Pc

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure. How much could he bench?
While at Humes High School in Memphis Tenn 1953, Elvis and  a guy named Ralph Bodine both had the hots for a girl named Rita Duvay. She told the two challengers for her affection who ever could bench the most owned her heart, so with her two twin brothers spotting.....

Ralph (220 pound linebacker, all state) put up 250.  Elvis could only manage 200.  But, that was in high school, maybe as he got older, but? Before you ask, Elvis cooked a 4.8 40 on grass. And, could leap over a VW from a standing start.

Not sure. How much could he bench?
While at Humes High School in Memphis Tenn 1953, Elvis and  a guy named Ralph Bodine both had the hots for a girl named Rita Duvay. She told the two challengers for her affection who ever could bench the most owned her heart, so with her two twin brothers spotting.....

Ralph (220 pound linebacker, all state) put up 250.  Elvis could only manage 200.  But, that was in high school, maybe as he got older, but? Before you ask, Elvis cooked a 4.8 40 on grass. And, could leap over a VW from a standing start.

Edited 10 minutes ago by ZenoRazon
Well - well - well... 

That seems to clear the matter. 

🙂

I have always liked the King as a performer - even bought a record of his at age 6 or so, but - by that time, I was being fed the newer 60s stuff from my cousins.

By the time I got back to pre revolution, I started hunting for the guys that inspired Elvis. 

Thus, I never really went into a big E-fan phase. 

I like Rockabilly & 50s Rock (tho not a formal tag) as descriptors for E. 

I have always liked the King as a performer - even bought a record of his at age 6 or so, but - by that time, I was being fed the newer 60s stuff from my cousins.

By the time I got back to pre revolution, I started hunting for the guys that inspired Elvis. 

Thus, I never really went into a big E-fan phase. 

I like Rockabilly & 50s Rock (tho not a formal tag) as descriptors for E. 
True story

I was just a little kid visiting some relatives in Napa,, my cousin Eva Dean was around 14ish. Well she had a bunch of girls over to watch some guy on TV on The Ed Sullivan Show, need I go on? 

when i was a kid, there was a red-haired kid named Elvis. i was a terrible player and languished in left field most games. we were practicing one afternoon and coach calls us all up to home plate. i am jogging up across pitchers mound when i see Elvis at home. he shouts something like "hey coach, i wanna bat some..." before he casually tosses the up and hits the ball.

line drive! right at me! while i am coming in from the outfield!

i get smacked in the face and drop to the ground like a sack of potatoes. i can feel my lip split and taste the blood in my mouth as i stand up. i am filled with a murderous rage and charge Elvis. 

when i was a kid, there was a red-haired kid named Elvis. i was a terrible player and languished in left field most games. we were practicing one afternoon and coach calls us all up to home plate. i am jogging up across pitchers mound when i see Elvis at home. he shouts something like "hey coach, i wanna bat some..." before he casually tosses the up and hits the ball.

line drive! right at me! while i am coming in from the outfield!

i get smacked in the face and drop to the ground like a sack of potatoes. i can feel my lip split and taste the blood in my mouth as i stand up. i am filled with a murderous rage and charge Elvis. 
I've actually never  known anybody named Elvis, but did see Oklahoma/Rams RB Elvis Peacock play (cool name like Hiawatha Francisco and Fair Hooker) and NFL QB, Elvis Grbac.

I've actually known anybody named Elvis, but did see Oklahoma/Rams RB Elvis Peacock play (cool name like Hiawatha Francisco and Fair Hooker) and NFL QB, Elvis Grbac.
Elvis has become a name like Jesus - it's used, but sparingly.

I knew a guy named Elvis, but I'm not sure if it was his birth name or nickname. Anyways, he was a mma friend who fought in the 170 lb range - and, part of his shtick was doin' the Elvis danc'in in the ring. Fun to watch - better than his fightn' actually. HA!

Says it all.

Yep.

Aug 1, 2003 - The proprietor of Sun Records in Memphis, Sam Phillips discovered Elvis Presley and a host of other musical legends. ... kept a note of his name and told Phillips that he was worth a second look. ... Phillips now had a white boy who could sing black, but B.B. King was not convinced: ...

Understood.

Great short history - plus - DAMN - in relation to the chubby cheeker, I had forgotten what an Adonis the young Elvis was. That vid has some pretty early photos. Well worth the watch.
Elvis was a great looking guy and I never talk.....good looking guys. 

My granny would.....he's so cute.

Brother, I'm thrilled that you're starting to get it. Welcome aboard Captain.

That Colonel Tom was truly an awful human being. He stole Elvis blind, made some of the worst business decisions in the history of talent management, and encouraged Elvis' worst traits so he would be more easily controlled. 

Elvis never went on a worldwide tour. Parker said that was because he wanted Elvis to save his energy for American audiences. The reality was that Parker had warrants out for his arrest across Europe for embezzlement and other nefarious financial crimes. 

That Colonel Tom was truly an awful human being. He stole Elvis blind, made some of the worst business decisions in the history of talent management, and encouraged Elvis' worst traits so he would be more easily controlled. 

Elvis never went on a worldwide tour. Parker said that was because he wanted Elvis to save his energy for American audiences. The reality was that Parker had warrants out for his arrest across Europe for embezzlement and other nefarious financial crimes. 

No worries, Leroy...

...if my own experience is any indication, most'Mericans are quite sad already...most specially me.
Yes,  you got it.

Here's how it works.....

Zeno...this thread is about Elvis, ok guys?

guy....I just farted

guy2......hehehehehe me too.

guy3.....troll. you're a troll, troll

guy4.....come on people just ignore this guy, ok?

guy5....seen any good movies lately and....I just farted.

....on the internet.

Wait, are you telling me that an uneducated hillbilly from Tupelo Mississippi got swindled by a big city slicker? I'm shocked that could happen in America!!!!

Mississippi is usually tagged as the 50th worst in many categories, but they're #1 in license plates:  http://www.plateshack.com/y2k/Mississippi3/ms2012elvis.jpg
Also number one for making the biggest impact on American music.

Jimmie "The Father of Country Music" Rodgers from Miss

Elvis "The King" Presley from Miss

If I started listing all the blues cats out of Miss, I;d still be here tomorrow at this time still listing.

He’s probably the most famous singer that I don’t really care for.  Not horrible just not my cup of tea.  My Mother loves him.

Users who are viewing this thread