What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shuke's 1300 favorite songs by 1300 different artists. (3 Viewers)

shuke

Black Ice Skeptic
Spotify playlist

Why am I doing this? Great question. I don't remember when, but some media outlet years ago released a top 100 classic rock songs by 100 artists, and the FFA worked together to put together a "next 100". I really enjoyed the thread, and a lot of songs were posted that I hadn't heard forever.

Shortly after that I started joking about doing my own top 500. Around the same time I realized I was hearing a lot of new things I really liked, and couldn't keep track of them. Sure I had songs saved on my Pandora and Spotify lists, but I also heard a lot on the radio (a public radio station that I will touch on later), and stuff posted here. So I actually started keeping a list, and it wasn't long before I realized 500 wasn't going to cut it.

Then I became obsessed, not just adding songs and ranking them, but listening to enough of an artist's collection to be sure I was picking my "favorite". At times it was maddening. I started to give up, but Krista's Beatles thread gave me renewed inspiration.

I had quite a bit of filler to get to 1000 initially, but I think I've weeded out most of the songs I added out of desperation at one point.

I can't really post any more during the day, so I'll post a handful at night. Not really sure if I'll get a lot of discussion. I'm going to admit that for some of these artists, the song I post may be the only one I've ever heard, so hopefully people will post their favorites of those I post (especially if they are lesser known).

The tough part is that this will probably take months, and if I hear anything I really like I'm going to have to figure out who to bump from the list. This will obviously get harder as we get closer to the top.

Oh, and there will not be any spoilers about who is and isn't in my top 1000. So hold out hope for your favorite band. If it doesn't make it, they probably suck.

Last edited:
Take "favorites" with a grain of salt.  While I like everything I'm going to post, if I had to choose from them for a Spotify playlist, I may only go with the top 700 or so.

I was always planning on starting the countdown with a shticky song or two to break the ice.  I had one slated in this spot for years but I had to bump it out recently because I needed the room.  

As for this song, I'm almost positive someone posted it on this board.  Without remembering who, I'll just assume @McJose.

Yes the lyrics are ridiculous and her voice can be grating, but this beat is contagious and stays in my head for days after hearing it.

1000. Suburban Lawns -- Janitor

From wiki:  "Suburban Lawns were an American post-punk band formed in Long Beach, California in 1978 by CalArts students William "Vex Billingsgate" Ranson and Sue "Su Tissue" McLane. They later recruited Richard "Frankie Ennui" Whitney, Charles "Chuck Roast" Rodriguez, and John "John Gleur" McBurney."

Last edited by a moderator:
I was always planning on starting the countdown with a shticky song or two to break the ice.  I had one slated in this spot for years but I had to bump it out recently because I needed the room.  

As for this song, I'm almost positive someone posted it on this board.  Without remembering who, I'll just assume Tanner.

Yes the lyrics are ridiculous and her voice can be grating, but this beat is contagious and stays in my head for days after hearing it.

From wiki:  "Suburban Lawns were an American post-punk band formed in Long Beach, California in 1978 by CalArts students William "Vex Billingsgate" Ranson and Sue "Su Tissue" McLane. They later recruited Richard "Frankie Ennui" Whitney, Charles "Chuck Roast" Rodriguez, and John "John Gleur" McBurney."
I realize that finding 1,000 bands with a song that you like is a challenge.  

I don't think it requires the inclusion of an 8th grade Bjork tribute band.  

As for this song, I'm almost positive someone posted it on this board.  Without remembering who, I'll just assume Tanner.

One of my personal favs. 

When we yodel it in Squirrel Valley - it goes - 

Who's your mother ; who's your father... I guess everyone's a relative.. 

And, don't get me started about my genitals - we'd be here all night. 

I think I may post in this thread again. 

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

998. Cicada Rhythm - Dirty Hound

I don't know anything about this band.  I just threw them back in the because I couldn't make myself post the song I originally had in this spot.  That beat from 0:44 - 0:48 reminds me of something, maybe from the 50's.  Can't place it.
I get a #### Dale vibe in a few spots. Not necessarily at that spot but I agree it reminds me of something. Tarantino-y

oh FFS. RICHARD Dale then

996. Pilot Speed - Barely Listening

Although I'm posting youtube links for all these, for some songs I think the video really distracts from the song itself.  This is one of them.

A little Radiohead vibe from 2:30-3:00.

Also, don't expect huge writeups for every song here.  I've got 1000 to do.  

Listening to this again, I should have ranked this way higher.  

So to build on Nipsey's question, I initially tiered all these songs in 5 buckets.  The fifth and lowest bucket had about 600 songs.  While I did my best to rank all songs relative to each other, any of these from 1000 to 600 could be +/- a couple hundred spots.  

Users who are viewing this thread