What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why are President Trump's Tax Returns Important? (1 Viewer)

Maurile Tremblay said:
I don’t think the law in question allows Congress to make Trump’s tax returns public. I think just the head (and ranking member?) of the House Ways and Means Committee would get to see them. (Or maybe the whole committee? I don’t remember, but I think the statute has been quoted in this thread.)

If the plan is to make them public, I think Trump may have a valid cause of action rooted in his personal right to privacy.
Where in my post did I use the word "public"?

Here is the response from Trump's lawyers to the general counsel at the Department of the Treasury, telling him not to turn over Trump's returns. I'm reminded of the old joke, "When the law is on your side, pound the law. When the facts are on your side, pound the facts. And when neither are, pound the table."

Seriously, I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know how strong these arguments are, but whoever wrote this sounds like a real jerk. (Given Trump's past history of sock-puppetry, I might guess he wrote it himself, except that it uses far too many big words.) Also, the writer attempts to establish Neal's lack of a rationale for requesting the returns by citing ... the opinions of two Republican Senators? That's a bold strategy; let's see if it pays off for them.

Seriously, I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know how strong these arguments are, but whoever wrote this sounds like a real jerk.
On a scale of 0 to 100, it's comfortably greater than zero because the citations have proper syntax and stuff. But it's maybe about a twelve? He starts off by calling the relevant statutory language a red herring, and then it doesn't really get any better from there. He suggests that, because there are such things as constitutionally impermissible purposes, the onus is on Neal to establish that his purpose is proper? I don't think that kind of burden-shifting in this context is supported by law. (Also, Neal's statement of his purpose isn't good enough because ... some Republican Senators speculate otherwise?) It's not a good letter.

Last edited by a moderator:
lazyike said:
Obama 1063 examples of Lying , corruption, hypocrisy, waste etc over 8 years? Has anybody calculated that for Trump? On the lying alone Politico has Trump at over 9000 in less than 3 years. Add in corruption, waste, hypocrisy etc the Donald probably hit that 1063 threshold in 1 month!! 
Like I said....they all lie. 

And you’re also the one that said they should all be held accountable.  
Well in his defense he did say the lying Trump disgust him...just that all his other words contradict this thought process makes me think he's just saying that and doesn't really mean it.

Well in his defense he did say the lying Trump disgust him...just that all his other words contradict this thought process makes me think he's just saying that and doesn't really mean it.
🤷🏻‍♂️.  All I know is I’m tired of the excuses that all politicians lie, especially with Trump, who’s clearly the pinnacle of it.   The hypocrisy of Trump supporters pointing fingers about lying is just to thick to swallow.  

Both sides of the isle are rotten to the core and all that ever happens is one side #####es while the other side is in office. We are the ones in control yet we somehow feel powerless.  This madness has to stop.  

🤷🏻‍♂️.  All I know is I’m tired of the excuses that all politicians lie, especially with Trump, who’s clearly the pinnacle of it.   The hypocrisy of Trump supporters pointing fingers about lying is just to thick to swallow.  

Both sides of the isle are rotten to the core and all that ever happens is one side #####es while the other side is in office. We are the ones in control yet we somehow feel powerless.  This madness has to stop.  
Yep, that's why we need a 3rd party but the 2 parties in control will never let that happen. And both sides will say it's the other sides fault while they continue to vote party over country.

Yep, that's why we need a 3rd party but the 2 parties in control will never let that happen. And both sides will say it's the other sides fault while they continue to vote party over country.
No doubt. But it can, we just need to vote independent and get them the 15% needed to join the national debate.  Get that voice out there and ya never know what can happen.  2008 showed us that.  

Maurile Tremblay said:
On a scale of 0 to 100, it's comfortably greater than zero because the citations have proper syntax and stuff. But it's maybe about a twelve? He starts off by calling the relevant statutory language a red herring, and then it doesn't really get any better from there. He suggests that, because there are such things as constitutionally impermissible purposes, the onus is on Neal to establish that his purpose is proper? I don't think that kind of burden-shifting in this context is supported by law. (Also, Neal's statement of his purpose isn't good enough because ... some Republican Senators speculate otherwise?) It's not a good letter.
Trump needs to hire Robert Krafts attorney.  

Yet...things are going well for the most part in our country.
This comment doesn't really do you many favors.  You're basically admitting that you don't care who is President and what kind of person they are as long as things are doing well for the most part.

Isn't that why we're supposed to be draining the swamp? I thought we were tired of the same old politicians?  Or was that just a campaign slogan?
Don't worry, with the next President we'll start concerning ourselves again with deficits, morals, lying, etc.  Right now it's like the movie the Purge, but instead of one night it's 4 years of doing whatever you want politically with no repercussions.

"they all lie"....right, a pretty good reason to demand the tax records, no?  I feel like I am watching a dog gnaw on it's own tail without even knowing it.

Users who are viewing this thread