Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Why are President Trump's Tax Returns Important?


Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Paywall for me. But i read all of their covid stories and even though they are free they still count for my article total. I think you get like 4 free a month or something. 

Under the spoiler tags

Few posts up from that I posted a summary article of 18 major points 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No real surprise, the tax returns show exactly what we already knew, that Trump is a fraud and a criminal.  Also no surprise, his supporters will spin this as some sort of hoax or find a way to twist

Question: Ignoring the 1031 exchange and multiplying these numbers by $1M to talk realistic numbers for invoking the estate tax. Also understanding that the step-up basis plays a role as far as c

Nothing says alpha male more than a dude writing off $70,000 in hair appointments as a business expense. 

1 hour ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Thanks. I was mainly interested in TV since I believe that's how most Fox News fans tend to consume their news.

I saw a clip from earlier and their angle was this is just the kind of stuff we all do when filing our taxes

Link to post
Share on other sites

Apropos of nothing, today I’ve been thinking about this ProPublica article outlining how much fraud the IRS knows about but doesn’t have the resources to pursue thanks to crippling budget cuts.

“In ProPublica’s interviews with dozens of tax professionals and more than 50 former and current IRS employees — part of an ongoing series on the state of tax enforcement — many agency veterans wondered whether the damage of the past several years will ever be undone. And they had a greater worry: that the American public will inevitably realize how weak the IRS has become.

“In the last few years, it was really frustrating,” said Pam Reicks, a former manager at the IRS who, until she retired at the end of last year, oversaw a program to audit wealthy taxpayers with undeclared offshore bank accounts. “It’s like in the fall when you bob for apples,” she told us. “You’ve got a tub of apples and can’t use your hands to grab them. You can see all this abuse and fraud, and people not paying their taxes, but can’t use your hands to get it.”

...Annual revenue from audits is down by about $10 billion, adjusted for inflation, since 2010, and billions more have been lost by not pursuing nonfilers and other sources of unpaid tax debts. If the IRS had maintained a level of enforcement similar to that of the years from 2004 to 2010, it would have collected about $18 billion more than it did last year, ProPublica estimates. The total shortfall since 2011 has been about $95 billion.”

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Im not sure what you're asking. I thought you wanted to know the source of this info.... it's his tax returns

That Sarah Sanders interview is instructive. Yasee, there’s a conspiracy involving the intelligence, military and justice rank and file and leadership in combination with hundreds of journalists and foreign allied nations to stop Donald Trump because... because.... oh, right, envy.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
Link to post
Share on other sites

Freud wrote about a man who was accused of returning a borrowed kettle in a damaged condition.

The man argued, in his defense, that (1) the kettle was in perfectly good condition when he returned it, (2) it was already damaged before he borrowed it, and (3) he never even borrowed it, it must have been someone else.

Offering mutually contradictory excuses for something has become known as "kettle logic."

I don't know why that thought came to mind.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HellToupee said:

Those payments from Putin on the returns?

Nothing, zero about Russia, oh except the 2013 Miss Universe pageant held in Moscow was one of the most profitable ever.  Guilty!

 

Seriously, that made print in this article.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

Barbara Walters had Trump's number thirty years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKwHjun8oog

I have to say, a Harris or Warren would have been far better at nailing Trump on the tax issues than Biden. But this is a complex issue and I don't think factchecking is really what is necessary here. 

What gets me from that Baba Wawwa interview is the way she stays on Trump and how easily he rattles. Trump is magnitudes wilder and more dangerous now, but staying on him and not letting him escape via attacks, false claims, quips and innuendo is really key. So many journalists have failed on this, except maybe Swan from ABC.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

So many journalists have failed on this, except maybe Swan from ABC

Also that guy from Vice that was interviewing him about COVID.  Just didn't let him go with spewing BS about stats that obviously he believed were actually painting a good picture of the situation nationally.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Has the NYT ever been caught fabricating any evidence like this in its entire history?

They have a history of omitting things as recently as yesterday.

NPR version:

Quote

A prolonged confrontation between Black Lives Matter and pro-Trump demonstrators outside Los Angeles turned violent Saturday, as someone drove a car through the pro-Trump group. The driver has been charged with attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon. Police say the driver in Saturday's incident was a member of the so-called ‘Caravan for Justice,’ which organized the Black Lives Matter protest.

NYT Version:

Quote

A woman was charged with attempted murder after the car she was driving struck two people during a demonstration for racial justice in California that clashed with a counterprotest on Saturday, the authorities said.  It was unclear whether they were part of the Caravan4Justice group or the counterprotest group because both groups had converged at the time.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

What gets me from that Baba Wawwa interview is the way she stays on Trump and how easily he rattles. Trump is magnitudes wilder and more dangerous now, but staying on him and not letting him escape via attacks, false claims, quips and innuendo is really key. So many journalists have failed on this, except maybe Swan from ABC.

He does this in depositions, as well. The opposing lawyer in the Trump University scam did exactly as you suggested and Trump broke down like Captain Queeg and the strawberries. It was a big reason why the settlement was so large and uncontested. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I love that he feels that's an appropriate way to approach this.  The only way it gets to that level of tax forgiveness is if things are POORLY run by the organization and they are losing money hand over fist.  

Probably worth remembering that part of what came out of the Stormy/McDougal scandal & conviction was that Trump wrote hush money sums for his affairs from the company that he had handed to his sons to run. Not a normal corporate organization.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

 

28 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I love that he feels that's an appropriate way to approach this.  The only way it gets to that level of tax forgiveness is if things are POORLY run by the organization and they are losing money hand over fist.  

Probably worth remembering that part of what came out of the Stormy/McDougal scandal & conviction was that Trump wrote hush money sums for his affairs from the company that he had handed to his sons to run. Not a normal corporate organization.

Again, this is where so many come up with amazing rationalizations for Mr Trump. “That’s just how businesses/corporations do things.”

No. Not even close. The Trump Organization is a mom and pop venture with no board. No corporate governance or oversight, internal or external. They do whatever they want and answer to no one. That is NOT at all how corporate America operates.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Yeah, the NYT is one of the shadiest outfits ever.

Classic deflection.  Just show proof that supports nyt article then all the doubters go away but no we can’t show any proof we have...  it’s like taking a math test and not showing any work..  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sand said:

 

That particular return went before the tax board and has been sitting since 2011.  Those folks evidently move slooooow.

 

I do find it interesting this "happened" to be released the day before the first debate.  The media propaganda arm is really striving to please the blue team.

Trump could have complied with recent precedent and released his taxes long ago to prevent all that nasty propaganda, correct?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, stlrams said:

Just show proof that supports nyt article then all the doubters go away but no we can’t show any proof we have...  it’s like taking a math test and not showing any work..  

Yep. It'd be super easy, barely an inconvenience, for Trump to release his returns.

(It'd be harder -- illegal, in fact -- for others to release them.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Yep. It'd be super easy, barely an inconvenience, for Trump to release his returns.

(It'd be harder -- illegal, in fact -- for others to release them.)

Yep. It’d be super easy, barely an inconvenience, for nyt to release their information. 

Yet nothing.   Care to bet we never see them or after election?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stlrams said:

Yep. It’d be super easy, barely an inconvenience, for nyt to release their information. 

Yet nothing.   Care to bet we never see them or after election?  

How long did the Washington Post sit on the identity of Deep Throat?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding Trump's taxes: is it possible he had a YUGE loss somewhere and has been able to use that to offset gains in subsequent years?  

Hypothetically, suppose I lose $100k in year X, and I have income leading to $10k for years X to X+10.  If I had a skilled accountant, I should be able to leverage that $100k to cancel out all taxes owed for 10 years, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, moleculo said:

How long did the Washington Post sit on the identity of Deep Throat?

There’s no connection between the two issues so it doesn’t matter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, moleculo said:

Regarding Trump's taxes: is it possible he had a YUGE loss somewhere and has been able to use that to offset gains in subsequent years?  

Hypothetically, suppose I lose $100k in year X, and I have income leading to $10k for years X to X+10.  If I had a skilled accountant, I should be able to leverage that $100k to cancel out all taxes owed for 10 years, right?

We are know that the tax laws are made for the rich.  It doesn't move the needle.  Billionaires been screaming to tax them more but the system won't.   I wonder why?

Edited by Golf Guy 69
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Golf Guy 69 said:

Why does it matter what Trump paid in taxes.  If his returns are illegal the IRS will handle it.  

I'd like to know if the President is a crook.

I'm one of those weirdos that believe in ethics, integrity,  and accountability though.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Golf Guy 69 said:

Why does it matter what Trump paid in taxes.  If his returns are illegal the IRS will handle it.  

Because it’s a great well timed smear campaign....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Golf Guy 69 said:

We are know that the tax laws are made for the rich.  It doesn't move the needle.  Billionaires been screaming to tax them more but the system won't.   I wonder why?

Hey how much did amazon, apple, Nike etc etc pay I in federal taxes while using stave labor???

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Golf Guy 69 said:

Isn't the goal to pay the least taxes possible legally?

Yup.  It appears that some things Trump has done have questionable legality.  Hence, his on-going audit fight where he may be forced to pay $100M.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

It doesn't matter if the President of the United States cheats on his taxes?

No .  Vast majority of companies, individuals take advantage of tax laws and liberties with their tax returns.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stlrams said:

Hey how much did amazon, apple, Nike etc etc pay I in federal taxes while using stave labor???

Speaking of no connection between two issues...

6 minutes ago, stlrams said:

There’s no connection between the two issues so it doesn’t matter. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, moleculo said:

Yup.  It appears that some things Trump has done have questionable legality.  Hence, his on-going audit fight where he may be forced to pay $100M.

Please provide proof that trump has done something illegal on his taxes..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Golf Guy 69 said:

Who said he cheats?  Did the IRS say so?  Did the Clinton Foundation cross all their i's and t's?

There's a classic.  Haven't heard the Clinton Foundation conjured in a while.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, moleculo said:

Speaking of no connection between two issues...

 

Disagree.  I’m drawing a comparison that lots of American based companies especially the largest most successful don’t pay any federal taxes thus why should it matter trump corporate doesn’t pay either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Golf Guy 69 said:

how?

Because I know you are a good dude and care about the new horrible things this guy has brought to our country.  He’s different and everybody knows it.  Just because he also does the horrible things previous politicians did/do doesn’t make any of this normal.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stlrams said:

I’ll take that you have a nothing burger,.  Would you like ketchup with that? 

Listen friend.  I said it appears things may not be on the up and up.  That is detailed in this very thread as well as numerous articles and videos.  You are welcome to read up on your own.  I never said proof, which is what you are demanding.  Therefore, no.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...