What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread: Toronto Raptors win NBA title #1.33 (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
only a matter of time before someone steps on Embiid's foot or something and he misses 25 games with an undisclosed ailment

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone remind me why the Lakers gave up on Russell so fast and traded him for next to nothing?  Was it purely for an incoming Ball and cap relief?  Love watching him play in BK.  Can only think the Lakers would be a much better team with him.  

Can anyone remind me why the Lakers gave up on Russell so fast and traded him for next to nothing?  Was it purely for an incoming Ball and cap relief?  Love watching him play in BK.  Can only think the Lakers would be a much better team with him.  
seems to be the ridiculous expectation for incoming players, but especially point guards.

guy's have to be 20/10 in the first month of their career or fans start trashing them on social media. then front offices over-react.

PG's should be like QB's. 3 years minimum to develop. preferably on the bench. 

Upcoming Raptors v Sixers looks like a Toronto sweep to me. I was hoping they'd beat each other up and drag things to 7 games but Philly looks awful.
Yes because Detroit is a really tough test. I'd be worried about getting past the playoff seasoned Celtics there bud.

seems to be the ridiculous expectation for incoming players, but especially point guards.

guy's have to be 20/10 in the first month of their career or fans start trashing them on social media. then front offices over-react.

PG's should be like QB's. 3 years minimum to develop. preferably on the bench. 
I agree except for the bench part. Maybe bench first half of the first season but there's enough room on an NBA roster to have a rookie PG out there.

Frostillicus said:
Also Jimmy Butler is insane and a generally horrible person.  @DJackson10 can back me up with stories he's heard.
I don't know what happened to Jimmy.  His first couple years with Chicago were filled with stories of him being a hard worker and all the things in his life he had to overcome. 

In fairness, they got off Mozgov and drafted Kuzma with the pick

Trade was:

Brooke Lopez and 2017 1st (27 overall Kuzma)

for

Russell and Mozgov

There was also the Nick Young stuff.  I'm not sure how the locker room dynamic was after that.  He might have had to go for that reason. 

I agree except for the bench part. Maybe bench first half of the first season but there's enough room on an NBA roster to have a rookie PG out there.
just feels like the NBA is so much about the next possibly big name who might one day maybe pan out if everything breaks just the right way.. instead of the steady PG with veteran presence that can help them win games. 

it's such a difficult position to master and the league has virtually no patience for it.

Mike Conley was ####### TRASHED his first couple years and is now basically the prototype. 

I don't know what happened to Jimmy.  His first couple years with Chicago were filled with stories of him being a hard worker and all the things in his life he had to overcome. 
That’s the problem.  His insanity drove him to become the player he is and he expects that same thing from everyone else and has little social intelligence

Frostillicus said:
Also Jimmy Butler is insane and a generally horrible person.  @DJackson10 can back me up with stories he's heard.
He was a complete cancer in the Bulls locker room from what I've read. Dude really changed character wise once he got his $$$

So Mike Malone finally did what should have been done on game one of the season and made Barton the 6th man again. I didn't like the contract when it was signed, but I understand the logic. Making him the starting 3 has been an utter disaster as he doesn't do the things the team really needs from it's 5th starter (defend and hit a lot of catch and shoot jumpers) and the stuff he does well (handle the ball and create shots) is superfluous.

Money and fame thats what. The saying goes money doesn't make you happy. Most of the time especially that type of money changes people. Butler got his and started acting like his #### don't smell. I heard he big dogged Wade in the locker room. My cousin's Wife family is from Chicago and I talk to her dad a lot being a Bulls myself about stuff. There was some rumors going around about Buter doing stuff. There was an unconfirmed Rumor that Pippen asked the Organization to get rid of Butler if he didn't change his attitude. In Minny he apparently slept with Wiggy or KAT's GF? Like seriously that's Locker room Sac Relig right there. The Dude is a very good player no questions asked but he acts like He's MJ when he's not even a Pippen either. I also heard unconfirmed Rumors Butler and Rose weren't getting along and Rose asked to be traded if the team was keeping Jimmy. Most of this came from her dad but I was talking to a buddy of mine a Bulls fan who said he read a few of these somewhere.I use to Love JB too because he was the type of guy you wanted and fit the Bulls mold of a gritty player but he was also very talented. Then he got his money and #### in the org and fans hands. Now as if I needed more reasons to not like the 76ers they went and got Butler. I really hope that dude never wins a title in his career. F him. 

Frostillicus said:
I think I don't much like Embiid, but that could just be the Butler halo effect.  
Its the Butler effect. I like Joel the player a lot talent wise but he needs to be a bit more mature and stop the clowing around. Put some more time in the gym and rehabbing his body instead of being out on the public courts playing with fans in the offseason (With his fragile state could get a freak injury) and stop clowning around on social media starting fights with other players. Joel needs do something meaningful before he starts yapping. 

just feels like the NBA is so much about the next possibly big name who might one day maybe pan out if everything breaks just the right way.. instead of the steady PG with veteran presence that can help them win games. 

it's such a difficult position to master and the league has virtually no patience for it.

Mike Conley was ####### TRASHED his first couple years and is now basically the prototype. 
Yep too much hoping and praying for the next big thing then doing the most common sense thing. Like they say you can hope in one and #### in the other and see which one piles up faster. Teams are getting lazy and looking for that quick fix but it's not that simple 

In fairness, they got off Mozgov and drafted Kuzma with the pick

Trade was:

Brooke Lopez and 2017 1st (27 overall Kuzma)

for

Russell and Mozgov
Yeah, it doesn't look so bad getting lucky with Kuzma but generally you're not expecting much with a late 1st.  I forgot about the drama with Nick Young but still seems trivial when you're dealing with that level of talent.  

Yep too much hoping and praying for the next big thing then doing the most common sense thing. Like they say you can hope in one and #### in the other and see which one piles up faster. Teams are getting lazy and looking for that quick fix but it's not that simple 
First time I've ever heard someone accuse NBA front offices of doing the common sense thing

Why is Houston +2 tonight? 
I almost pulled the trigger but knowing this Houston team, they'll likely ease off the gas.  Utah is due to finally make some shots and will play with a sense of urgency.  Hope I'm wrong.  

First time I've ever heard someone accuse NBA front offices of doing the common sense thing
Most NBA FO's leave you head scratching more then anything. Trying to fill one hole they fill it and create two more most times. So many teams are so poorly built roster wise as well to fit what the teams coaches really want to do. 

I almost pulled the trigger but knowing this Houston team, they'll likely ease off the gas.  Utah is due to finally make some shots and will play with a sense of urgency.  Hope I'm wrong.  
:bag:  lost on taking Nets +3 so tried Houston tonight........

Regardless of who wins Utah/Houston tonight----the defensive scheme of the Jazz tonight is more what I expected from them the entire series.  I'm not sure what they were doing in games 1-2 when they put Rubio on Harden a decent amount.  Putting longer and more imposing defenders on Harden has put pressure on his perimeter shooting --and has also afforded Gobert and the help defenders better lanes and angles to play help defense when he penetrates.  I really thought and was expecting game 2 to feel more like this.  

What was that Rubio D?
If you read my post above--its weird that seconds after (literally right on cue) Rubio ends up on Harden defensively on the two biggest possessions of the game--and Harden hits a pretty standard step back 3 for his standards, and gets a wide open lane to the basket on the second one (resulting in free throws).  Utah has to try to avoid the Rubio on Harden matchup defensively on switches.  

It's a bold strategy, Cotton.  Let's see if it pays off for them
It's a losing strategy.  In games 1+2 utah started off by putting Rubio on Harden and it completely destroyed them. Harden can rise up over him and shoot with ease--and Rubio offers zero resistance to Harden penetrating.  There's no reason to do that when they have Mitchell and Ingles who can at least do a better job contesting Hardens 3 point shooting with their length. 

It's a losing strategy.  In games 1+2 utah started off by putting Rubio on Harden and it completely destroyed them. Harden can rise up over him and shoot with ease--and Rubio offers zero resistance to Harden penetrating.  There's no reason to do that when they have Mitchell and Ingles who can at least do a better job contesting Hardens 3 point shooting with their length. 
I think Max was talking about the play where Rubio played defense from behind Harden... have no idea what he was trying to accomplish there.

Agree with your overall points though

I think Max was talking about the play where Rubio played defense from behind Harden... have no idea what he was trying to accomplish there.

Yeah those last two possessions seemed odd.  I get forcing him right, but he was straight up behind him.  

Sadly enough--theres not much Rubio can do.  If Rubio stays in front of Harden--Harden can either shoot up and over him--or do his patented step back.  The height advantage he has on Rubio basically allows him to shoot an easy three if Rubio is defensively playing in front of him. Harden hit a 3 on him the possession right before the play we are discussing.  That's why Rubio basically played behind him (it's like fronting defensively in the post--only the post in this case is the 3point line)--he either has to give him a wide open lane straight into Gobert or give up a 3 like he did previously.   He chose option A.   These two consecutive defensive possessions efffectively costed them the game. I just think the Jazz should do whatever they can to keep guys like Mitchell, Ingles, crowder, o'neale, or even sefolosha on Harden.  All of these guys have the ability to give Harden resistance at the three point line while at the same time not giving him an absolute red carpet to the basket.  Regardless--it was a fun game to watch--but I think Utah has figured things out too late.  Had they played like this in game 2---there is a good chance this series is 2-1 Houston and not 3-0 Houston.  

I figured they wanted to get this over with due to having Golden State next. 

Also I'm not saying this as I dislike the Sixers but I really like what Jared Dudley is doing in this series. It's about time we had a guy in this league with some balls mixing it up. SO tired of the "lets be friends" ####ified NBA. MJ and Magic would've never of gone for that. Just imagine the trash talking Dudley could've gotten into with MJ, Kobe, KG, Pierce, etc. It also makes series more enjoyable and gets people more invested. Controversy creates better ratings. People want to see bitter rivalries and don't want to see X player on rival team being friendly with Y player on the rival team. Dudley is one of the big reasons Sixers/Nets is the most enjoyable series of the playoffs so far. Even as a neutral fan you gotta love the mixing it up.   

I wish the NBA starts ejecting players for flopping. it's dissent and in Soccer/Futboll today players are getting now carded for that ####. Start T ing guys up and anything really engregrious send them for an early shower.   
They need to use review on it. They can't always tell live  

I figured they wanted to get this over with due to having Golden State next. 
Yeah, I was feeling good about not playing that line most of the game.  Made for a less stressful night.   Glad they stepped up late in the 4th.  I still marvel at Rubio's defensive efforts.  That guard Harden from behind thing makes me  :eek:   :lmao:

Don't need more replay in the NBA, but that garbage should get him a one-game suspension post-game. That'd put an end to it.
T's don't affect possession so they can be reviewed during commercial breaks and given retroactively.  They used to do this in the G-League, not sure if they still do.

flopping is ruining the nba and there is no one worse than captain poopbeard its just honestly cheap on a level of undercutting a guy on a layup guys who flop should be ejected and miss the next game take that to the bank brohans 

flopping is ruining the nba and there is no one worse than captain poopbeard its just honestly cheap on a level of undercutting a guy on a layup guys who flop should be ejected and miss the next game take that to the bank brohans 
Flopping is bad, but I have more of a problem with the whining to officials that is allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread