What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread: Toronto Raptors win NBA title #1.33 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really good Ramona Shelbourne insider account of the Warriors here

This part confused me, though:

KLAY THOMPSON FOLLOWED the final quarter of Thursday's Game 6 on the NBA app. He had left the arena on crutches during the fourth quarter to get an MRI, still with the slight hope the injury wasn't as bad as the doctors feared.
Klay Thompson can't spring for ESPN+ so he can stream the game? Nobody could find him an iPad or something?

He also went for the actual MRI as the game was ending, which also seems weird.  Had to ask if they won when he came out.

Not trying to badmouth Klay, who I love and I'm sure had his reasons. Just kinda funny

Last edited by a moderator:

Klay Thompson can't spring for ESPN+ so he can stream the game? Nobody could find him an iPad or something?

He also went for the actual MRI as the game was ending, which also seems weird.  Had to ask if they won when he came out.

Not trying to badmouth Klay, who I love and I'm sure had his reasons. Just kinda funny
What's confusing?

You also said it was weird he went for the MRI.  Why was that confusing?  That isn't self explanatory to me.
Ah, gotcha. That wasn't the part I said confused me. I does seem odd that he wouldn't wait a few minutes to watch the end of the game, but I have no idea what it's like to be an NBA player, nor do I have any idea what was going on at the facility or whether there was any pressing medical need to get the info ASAP. 

Ah, gotcha. That wasn't the part I said confused me. I does seem odd that he wouldn't wait a few minutes to watch the end of the game, but I have no idea what it's like to be an NBA player, nor do I have any idea what was going on at the facility or whether there was any pressing medical need to get the info ASAP. 
Got it.   I assumed he wanted to find out his health status ASAP, because he's wired to get back on the court, and wanted to make sure he moved that process along as fast as possible.

Moving on ... the Washington Post Wizards beat writer doesn't think there's much to that story of the Wiz trying to lure Ujiri away from the Raptors. So congratulations, Raptors fans, finally you have something to celebrate.

He is an odd guy.

Wait . . . there are sports book in Vegas stalling the Lakers as the favorites to win the title next year? Makes me wonder who they think will be on that the team.

Wait . . . there are sports book in Vegas stalling the Lakers as the favorites to win the title next year? Makes me wonder who they think will be on that the team.
Lakers have room to add a max contract.  They also have trade pieces available to add another top player(possibly AD).  They also have a MLE to add another piece, likely an important bench role.  Lakers are gonna look very different in two months and I think Vegas is anticipating that.

Lakers have room to add a max contract.  They also have trade pieces available to add another top player(possibly AD).  They also have a MLE to add another piece, likely an important bench role.  Lakers are gonna look very different in two months and I think Vegas is anticipating that.
They'd lose the regular mid-level exception if they go under the cap. They can get that room exception, but that's only $4,760,000.

Multiple books have the Lakers as the favorite. Again, this is what Durant was talking about with a toxic media fawning over him. Everyone hanging their hats on a 35 year old grandpa who just missed the playoffs and whose franchise can barely sport a g-league level team right now apart from LeBron. What a joke.

Ujiri being investigated for pushing/striking a cop trying to enter the floor.  
I read he shoved the cop twice, should be a year long ban coming 🤐
I should probably just let this die but a Warriors season ticket holder who was standing next to Ujiri says cop never asked for his credentials before pushing Ujiri first, which seems to be corrobated by all the photos of the incident with Ujiri literally holding the pass in his hand

I'm so bummed that the Klay injury robbed us of a potential Game 7. Also, would have been nice to have Oracle rocking 1 more time celebrating a Game 6 win.

The Warriors played hard, but the Raptors were the better team. I thought even with the KD injury the Dubs could handle the Raptors (Dubs in 6). However, Kawhi was the best player in the series (and the playoffs along with KD) and the rest of the Raptors were equal or better than their Warriors counterparts. They played hard, smart, and composed.....traits usually attributed to the Warriors. The one solace is the Raptor players are all easy to cheer for, dudes I'm happy to see win, and play basketball the "right way".

I'll admit. I was getting "bored" of the Warriors dominating the league. I didn't watch regular season games as closely and the previous playoffs seemed like a foregone conclusion. Hell these playoffs were heading that way until the KD injury. When that happened and the Dubs won the Rockets series and then the Portland series I was having fun again. Warrior games had a little bit of tension and drama again.

It's crazy to think after 2 decades of losing....like really losing....and yearning for a championship team, I became bored in just 5 seasons of contending. Now another championship may never come again with this core or ever and frankly not winning the title sucks more than "boring" playoffs.

So to the fans of the struggling and up and coming franchises (except the Lakers and LBJs next team) enjoy every step. Appreciate it all. You'll never know when it'll end. 

I'm so bummed that the Klay injury robbed us of a potential Game 7. Would have been nice to have Oracle rocking 1 more time if they had won Game 6.

The Warriors played hard, but the Raptors were the better team. I thought even with the KD injury the Dubs could handle the Raptors (Dubs in 6). However, Kawhi was the best player in the series (and the playoffs along with KD) and the rest of the Raptors were equal or better than their Warriors counterparts. They played hard, smart, and composed.....traits usually attributed to the Warriors. The one solace is the Raptor players are all easy to cheer for, dudes I'm happy to see win, and play basketball the "right way".

I'll admit. I was getting "bored" of the Warriors dominating the league. I didn't watch regular season games as closely and the previous playoffs seemed like a foregone conclusion. Hell these playoffs were heading that way until the KD injury. When that happened and the Dubs won the Rockets series and then the Portland series I was having fun again. Warrior games had a little bit of tension and drama again.

It's crazy to think after 2 decades of losing....like really losing....and yearning for a championship team, I became bored in just 5 seasons of contending. Now another championship may never come again with this core or ever and frankly not winning the title sucks more than "boring" playoffs.

So to the fans of the struggling and up and coming franchises (except the Lakers and LBJs next team) enjoy every step. Appreciate it all. You'll never know when it'll end. 
Game 7 would have been in Toronto 

Multiple books have the Lakers as the favorite. Again, this is what Durant was talking about with a toxic media fawning over him. Everyone hanging their hats on a 35 year old grandpa who just missed the playoffs and whose franchise can barely sport a g-league level team right now apart from LeBron. What a joke.
It's not "everyone", it's one book in Vegas posting odds, probably more for publicity than anything. And they're one-way odds, which means that the book doesn't have to protect against people betting on the Lakers (or the Warriors) to NOT win the title, they're just trying to rake in as much money as they can on people who are willing to homer-bet their team.

And, all of these odds assume the best-case scenario for each team. Clips 8/1 is under the strong assumption that Kawhi goes there. Lakers at 7/2 or whatever assumes that they get Davis, someone else good, and literally everything breaks right.

Again, the juice on these makes them almost completely prohibitive for any rational sports bettor, not to mention tying up your money for a year.

Vegas ain’t the media 
Meh...it's not as much a reflection of what they think will happen as much as it is a reflection of where the money will come in.  Lakers are a heavily bet team, so the price will typically be higher than the analytics would suggest.

There is a trade rumor from a Reddit poster who apparently has shown in the past to have Laker sources. It’s as follows:

Lakers get: Anthony Davis

Pelicans get: Zach LaVine, Chicago’s #7, Lakers 2020 unprotected 1st, Kuzma and Hart

Bulls get: Lonzo Ball, Solomon Hill and Lakers’ #4 pick

I have no idea if there is anything to this, but how would you rate this trade for the three teams? 

There is a trade rumor from a Reddit poster who apparently has shown in the past to have Laker sources. It’s as follows:

Pelicans get: Zach LaVine, Chicago’s #7, Lakers 2020 unprotected 1st, Kuzma and Hart

I have no idea if there is anything to this, but how would you rate this trade for the three teams? 
I thought it was weird that Zach Lowe mentioned Lavine as a trade asset that might fetch a lottery pick on his podcast yesterday. Isn’t he negative value on that contract?

I thought it was weird that Zach Lowe mentioned Lavine as a trade asset that might fetch a lottery pick on his podcast yesterday. Isn’t he negative value on that contract?
He had a good season offensively. He still gets lost on defense more often than he should.  I view him as contract value neutral but I can understand people arguing differently.

Good for LA, pretty bad for NO, Bulls make out 

This could ripple all the way down the Western Conference. Can you bet on a team not making the playoffs next year? GS will be running out Curry, Green, Iguodola, Evans, Jones, and maybe Cook, Looney, and Bell (last three are FAs) for most if not all of the year. They’ll have a late first round pick and the MLE to add to that group.  I think leaning on Curry and Green to carry them to 50ish wins after the workload they’ve had the last 5 years is asking an awful lot. 
Curry is either MVP candidate next year, or GS does the smart thing and rests the guys a lot next yr with load mgmt.

He had a good season offensively. He still gets lost on defense more often than he should.  I view him as contract value neutral but I can understand people arguing differently.
If he plays at 2018-19 level, definitely think that contracts an asset. 

Lot of worse players gonna be making more than him this offseason IMO. 

Curry is either MVP candidate next year, or GS does the smart thing and rests the guys a lot next yr with load mgmt.
Might be what is needed as GS with an aging lineup has averaged including playoffs 103 games a season over the last 5 years.

I don’t think there is anyway LA can pull off that trade without Ingram in it. 
And if that's the case, is it really good for LA? Maybe to sell tickets. Kuzma, Ingram, and GMs fooling themselves on Lonzo's potential are the only chips that team has besides Bron. How much more could they add in FA...

can't trade 1sts 2 years in a row, right?

I don’t see how the Lakers and Pelicans need the Bulls here unless there’s a cap angle I’m missing.

Wouldn't be shocked if the Bulls moved LaVine and 7 for Ball and 4. (Or some other package).

Culver has the defensive ability than Lavine never will have. And they just extended Boylen.

dickey moe said:
Torn ACL for Klay. Damn.
They rushed him back too soon. Shouldn’t have shot the free throws.

ETA I was being facetious, but I see several posters actually believed this to be the case. FTR, it’s highly unlikely light activity increased the severity of the initial injury.

will be fun to look at some teams off-season plans in details once we let the dust settle from this year. A team like the Celtics is really intriguing what they can, and should do. Need a guy like @Boston to come back and give his takes on what the C's should do. 

Seems evident that Kyrie is leaving, and it is absolutely hilarious that Celtics' fans are happy about that and think the team is better off if he leaves. But just thinking if they should trade for AD or not is such an interesting dilemna. if they don't, you have to think they won't have a true all star for years. they likely have to pay Brown and Tatum a lot if they keep both, and that starts next year, and the year after.

I think I’ve been higher on him than most (I even defended that contract as not as bad as most were making it out to be), but I think I’d be pretty horrified if my team traded down from a top 4 pick for him and his contract, even in this draft. 

So looking at team's with intriguing off-seasons, we can look at the Sixers. With how much they gave up to get Butler and Harris, they limited their options.  Most likely option is to re-sign Butler and Harris. this leaves them practically committed to a core of Embiid, Simmons, Butler, and Harris for the next 4 years or so. really would be up to what guys like Reddick and Scott would want, but can fill the bench through good drafting (big if still, last few under Colangelo were crap)

At first i didn't like the idea of signing Butler for a max/long-term contract (would  be fine max for 3 years i think), but thinking about it, i do feel they could move Harris or Butler if they had to. Harris has improved every year and is only 26, so paying him the high 20's low 30's per year is a lot, but would be at least a contract a team could accept if they had to. SO i am not sure they are damning themselves for the next 4 years one way or another. it is really intriguing how the free agent landscape looks, but gambling on getting free agents is a risky model if anything. So if you get top 20-30 guys, you need to almost commit because no guarantee you can acquire them through any other means. So Sixers can commit to this model and give it a go, though that is a whole other argument if committing to a top 5 is the way to go or build more like Toronto with depth.  

Still amazed by that series.  Just a few thoughts bouncing around in my head.

I can barely fathom a Finals series where the home team went 1-5; it pretty much goes against everything I've seen in playoff basketball up to this point.  Props to Toronto, as nobody could have predicted the Warriors losing their final three games ever at Oracle.  

Kawhi's monster performance certainly would dispel the idea that if he came to the Lakers (not that I think he will), he would be Lebron's sidekick.  He would be coming as Lebron's rescuer at this point.  Regardless of what Leonard does, it's pretty interesting to have such a weird, unpolished media presence (or perhaps his weirdness is the ultimate in media savviness and brand establishment) being so squarely in the NBA spotlight.  

Such a valiant effort by the Warriors.  Klay cemented himself as one of the best dudes to root for regardless of one's favorite team, and Looney's ability to deal with the pain was amazing.  I imagine breathing, sneezing or laughing isn't enjoyable with that injury, and he was having Gasol and Leonard bang into him over and over again.  Wow.  

Obviously the injuries to KD and Klay were and are major bummers, and aside from the chaos it adds to the off-season, it really makes the Warriors' first year in San Francisco way less glamorous.  It almost makes me wonder if there was some hardcore cult of Oakland-or-Die Warriors fans with voodoo dolls or something trying to mess with it.  Steph, Dray and pray for Klay is probably not what a lot of the people paying 7 figures for a suite had in mind for next season.  

While I love the NBA, it's kind of ridiculous that the draft is next week.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread