Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread: Toronto Raptors win NBA title #1.33


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Moe. said:

The officials did a great job last night in Portland. Crowd was great too. Aside from the Thunder pissing down their legs the last few minutes everything about that game was awesome. 

I thought Lillard's approach to the officials the last two games has been great as well.  He was clearly unhappy with the refs a few times last night (once he was right on an out of bounds incorrect call), but he didn't stomp around like a baby and he didn't carry it over into the next possession.  The plays will even themselves out throughout a game and it will boil down to your execution in the end.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SWC said:

i like it when russel westbrook loses in the first round it just sort of makes me smile but i do feel bad for that steven adams guy because he looks like a pirate and in my book pirates are pretty cool take that to the bank brohans 

I like him too, Broheme.  Check this ooot:

 

Quote

 

In an interview with The Athletic, Adams says he’s more of a wine guy because he “bloats up” when he drinks beer, though he makes an exception for Guinness. In fact, he loves Guinness so much that he can’t finish a workout during the offseason without gulping down a glass immediately afterwards.

From the interview:

I usually have a pint of Guinness after every workout, to be honest, just because I have this weird thing. After every weightlifting session; Guinness is actually very high in iron, so I literally go to the same pub on the corner back in Wellington after I workout with a sweaty ###, and I go in there. The lady knows me. She has it ready at like 12 o’clock, always. So I show up there, and then just like, ‘Get a pint, bang, smash it in like two seconds and then go have lunch. Just one. Go have lunch, then go to practice.

Adams also says that when he’s really feeling like getting after it with some of his boys, he can down eight pints in one sitting. Count us out of any drinking competition with Adams and his friends.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Not to mention Durant, who willfully created an environment in which free agency for him and other stars are a vastly more important story lines than 99% of the actual games and then has the nerve to complain about reporters asking him about his pending free agency instead of some random mid-January tilt with the Suns.

in Durant's defense... my god it must be withering to hear the same question, asked in a barely slightly different way, hundreds of times per week. 

reporters want guys to talk so they can write a story, i get it. that's part of the deal. but when guys talk and reporters run off in some other direction, twist their words and write articles slagging the players to get clicks... i get why guys just give stock answers or don't want to talk at all. 

90% of sports media feels like TMZ/clickbait/National Enquirer bs. 

maybe instead of the entire media pool asking him the same questions about FA in January, February, March, etc. every. single. day... they could ask about.... almost anything else.

 

Edited by mr. furley
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Moe. said:

Yeah Steve Kerr can #### right off. Calling out Westbrook for his treatment of the media as "dangerous" for the league, meanwhile Draymond acts like a toddler on the court. Fans care way more about the flopping and the histrionics than they do about someone being mean to a reporter. 

I hear ya, but why is Westbrook such an ingrate?  I know he has a good reputation around OKC, but his treatment of the media is emblematic of his treatment of other, regular people too as told to me by people who have dealt with him first hand.  Would it absolutely kill him to just be nice?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Reverse angle slo-mo is great.

I'm irrationally angry at the guy who looks like Beto who watches the whole thing through his phone. The guy who carefully places his phone on the ground as the shot falls and then pushes past his female companion to celebrate with Lillard, OTOH, is my hero.

That guy, in red, is apparently Lilliard's brother.  Dude was ready to roll.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

in Durant's defense... my god it must be withering to hear the same question, asked in a barely slightly different way, hundreds of times per week. 

reporters want guys to talk so they can write a story, i get it. that's part of the deal. but when guys talk and reporters run off in some other direction, twist their words and write articles slagging the players to get clicks... i get why guys just give stock answers or don't want to talk at all. 

90% of sports media feels like TMZ/clickbait/National Enquirer bs. 

maybe instead of the entire media pool asking him the same questions about FA in January, February, March, etc. every. single. day... they could ask about.... almost anything else.

 

That's a good point too.  

Rasheed Wallace was insufferable when he was here and refused to say anything to the local media other than "Both teams played hard" etc.  I think he just got fed up with them and vice versa.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since this is an all-timer, let's continue...

5 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

I figured it had to be someone special since nobody seemed to mind him joining the dogpile.

Speaking of brothers, Steph's brother also makes an epic appearance in last night's festivities.

"Seth Curry was telling the OKC bench that Dame was sending them home before the shot and then he stared them down after"

https://mobile.twitter.com/ComplexSports/status/1121042735786541056

🤣

Edited by trader jake
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

That's a good point too.  

Rasheed Wallace was insufferable when he was here and refused to say anything to the local media other than "Both teams played hard" etc.  I think he just got fed up with them and vice versa.

Marshawn Lynch, too

forget where i saw it.. Vice, maybe? but they did one of those walkabout interviews with him in Oakland. the guy is positively loquacious and it would seem a terrific guy who is well loved in his community.

but he hates having to deal with the media because no matter what he says, it's going to get twisted to fit a story line that makes him look bad. so why play the game with them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Reverse angle slo-mo is great.

I'm irrationally angry at the guy who looks like Beto who watches the whole thing through his phone. The guy who carefully places his phone on the ground as the shot falls and then pushes past his female companion to celebrate with Lillard, OTOH, is my hero.

this was my reaction to a college crowd storming the court this season. storm the court. have fun. but, if i had to guesstimate i'd say 95% of the kids rushing the court had cell phones out above their heads filming..... a blur and lots of screaming?

most of them weren't looking around, they were looking up at their cell phones.

like walking down the sidewalk & looking through a periscope. so bizarre.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

I hear ya, but why is Westbrook such an ingrate?  I know he has a good reputation around OKC, but his treatment of the media is emblematic of his treatment of other, regular people too as told to me by people who have dealt with him first hand.  Would it absolutely kill him to just be nice?  

I dunno, it's getting old for sure but I'd be lying if I said I cared. I disagree with Kerr's central premise that the league is so popular because of all the media access. Guys like Russ should be able to opt out of that crap. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

this was my reaction to a college crowd storming the court this season. storm the court. have fun. but, if i had to guesstimate i'd say 95% of the kids rushing the court had cell phones out above their heads filming..... a blur and lots of screaming?

most of them weren't looking around, they were looking up at their cell phones.

like walking down the sidewalk & looking through a periscope. so bizarre.

Reminds me of Black Mirror episode (S2E2).

https://images.app.goo.gl/4e4L2UFKbM5ywFvt5

Edited by trader jake
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

I like him too, Broheme.  Check this ooot:

One color commentary anecdote that has stuck with me for several years is that Adams usually eats seven full entrees when the team goes out to eat. Sometimes we can forget how insanely superhuman these guys are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, caustic said:

One color commentary anecdote that has stuck with me for several years is that Adams usually eats seven full entrees when the team goes out to eat. Sometimes we can forget how insanely superhuman these guys are.

Adams is more like a folk hero than mere human.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

Serious question: do you think that was a good shot under the circumstances?  I didn't watch the game and only saw the replay of that play but the box score shows me how well he was shooting from three.  Normally we would be critical of a player not trying to get something better/closer.  

I wonder if he still takes that shot if they’re down 2 at that point. With the score tied, playing at home, having just erased a big deficit, Westbrook and George with 5 fouls each, Dame probably felt pretty good about OT even if he missed. So why not try to finish in style? But I suspect if the Blazers were behind they would’ve actually run a play.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/17/2019 at 2:10 PM, tjnc09 said:

Indiana and Detroit are easily the two worst teams in the playoffs.  Neither have superstars, elite coaches, or do anything especially well.  I can't get excited for those series at all.

Utah-Houston tonight intrigues me.  Houston destroyed Utah last year in five games, but Utah did steal game two.  Houston is still only 6.5 point favorites despite covering game 1 by 25 points. There must be some kinds of adjustments Utah can make, but I'm not sure what those might be yet.  

https://www.twitter.com/mzavagno11/status/1121163473990356993

This thread about game 4 is interesting.  Snyder also mentioned Utah had the best qSQ ratings.  The two home Houston blowouts seem fluky based on the spread, Utah simply missing quality shots, and some defensive adjustments they didn't yet make in game 2.  I look forward to tonight's game especially since backing the Rockets seems squarey.  

Hope the Clippers quit like Detroit and Brooklyn - impressed with how tough they have played this series

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TobiasFunke said:

Reverse angle slo-mo is great.

I'm irrationally angry at the guy who looks like Beto who watches the whole thing through his phone. The guy who carefully places his phone on the ground as the shot falls and then pushes past his female companion to celebrate with Lillard, OTOH, is my hero.

 my favorite part is the imposter brent barry wearing a blazers jacket for a team he must have played for in a parallell universe who stands in full jesus pose as if it was his will that the shot fall who comes on screen from the right at about 33 seconds in take that to the bank bromigos 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, mr. furley said:

Marshawn Lynch, too

forget where i saw it.. Vice, maybe? but they did one of those walkabout interviews with him in Oakland. the guy is positively loquacious and it would seem a terrific guy who is well loved in his community.

but he hates having to deal with the media because no matter what he says, it's going to get twisted to fit a story line that makes him look bad. so why play the game with them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNpkSyryQz4

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

um, wouldn't you want jo to get as much rest time as possible?

yes, and thankfully the draft is in between. just looking forward to the games starting and hoping Embiid doesn't rest too much :fro:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Spartans Rule said:

I wonder if he still takes that shot if they’re down 2 at that point. With the score tied, playing at home, having just erased a big deficit, Westbrook and George with 5 fouls each, Dame probably felt pretty good about OT even if he missed. So why not try to finish in style? But I suspect if the Blazers were behind they would’ve actually run a play.

Good point.  And I agree, zero chance he takes that shot if they're down 2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Insein said:

There's also the Donaghey affect. People and players will always have that lingering feeling in the back of their mind. "Is he trying to fix the game?"

Well yeah.   I mean, the NBA didn't exactly show well in that whole situation.  They didn't aggressively pursue the facts, and then they didn't want to know if this was behavior beyond Donaghey.  

Pair that with the latest Michael Lewis podcast.  We know that human bias plays a role in officiating -- so why is it shocking that players would find it upsetting to see egregiously bad ref decisions?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Well yeah.   I mean, the NBA didn't exactly show well in that whole situation.  They didn't aggressively pursue the facts, and then they didn't want to know if this was behavior beyond Donaghey.  

Pair that with the latest Michael Lewis podcast.  We know that human bias plays a role in officiating -- so why is it shocking that players would find it upsetting to see egregiously bad ref decisions?

Because 98% of the time the complaint isn't about something egregious, but some grey area judgement call or the complainer is flat out wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jayrod said:

Because 98% of the time the complaint isn't about something egregious, but some grey area judgement call or the complainer is flat out wrong.

It compounds though.  If you feel slighted by egregious things, then you are more likely to nitpick the small things and feel persecuted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

It compounds though.  If you feel slighted by egregious things, then you are more likely to nitpick the small things and feel persecuted.

And you will be wrong most of the time and look like a petulant child.  This behavior is unacceptable in every other walk of life.  When you have a 2% success rate, it is time to be humble and realize you are likely wrong and act accordingly,  not point to the 2% and continue in bad behavior as a result.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jayrod said:

And you will be wrong most of the time and look like a petulant child.  This behavior is unacceptable in every other walk of life.  When you have a 2% success rate, it is time to be humble and realize you are likely wrong and act accordingly,  not point to the 2% and continue in bad behavior as a result.

I don't disagree with anything you wrote.  I'm just explaining basic human behavior.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mr. furley said:

really disappointed by the lack of Warriors hot takes today

I couldn't stay up late 2 nights in a row, so I missed it.  Looks like the Warriors got outplayed like they have multiple times throughout this season.  They will likely win game 6.

:straightfire:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mr. furley said:

really disappointed by the lack of Warriors hot takes today

I really wanted to have one, but the Clippers are so damn impressive I'm not sure what to say. Don't think it really means much unfortunately. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

Lou Williams :shock:

I knew the dude could score, but last night was something else. Really glad the Lakers let him walk so they could bring in KCP a couple years back.

How good could they have been I said kept him and D'Angelo Russell?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

Lou Williams :shock:

I knew the dude could score, but last night was something else. Really glad the Lakers let him walk so they could bring in KCP a couple years back.

Lou was part of the vaunted 2012 Sixers with Iguodola,  Thad Young, Spencer Hawes, Old Elton Brand, Jrue Holiday, Jodie Meeks and a rookie Vucevic. All broken up the year after by Hinkie. How could that team not succeed. :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

How good could they have been I said kept him and D'Angelo Russell?

The D'Angelo Russell narrative of late is a pretty bad case of 20/20 hindsight. They made the right move at the time, all things considered. They needed Mozgov off the books, Russell didn't seem to be realizing his potential, had made the locker room uncomfortable, and they were planning to use the 2nd overall pick in the draft on his replacement. In hindsight right now, I guess it would have been better to trade the unused #2 overall pick in the draft instead. Had they done that at the time, the people in this thread would have absolutely (and rightly) been scathing in their criticism/ridicule.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

The D'Angelo Russell narrative of late is a pretty bad case of 20/20 hindsight. They made the right move at the time, all things considered. They needed Mozgov off the books, Russell didn't seem to be realizing his potential, had made the locker room uncomfortable, and they were planning to use the 2nd overall pick in the draft on his replacement. In hindsight right now, I guess it would have been better to trade the unused #2 overall pick in the draft instead. Had they done that at the time, the people in this thread would have absolutely (and rightly) been scathing in their criticism/ridicule.

Counterpoint: #### them 

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Insein said:

Lou was part of the vaunted 2012 Sixers with Iguodola,  Thad Young, Spencer Hawes, Old Elton Brand, Jrue Holiday, Jodie Meeks and a rookie Vucevic. All broken up the year after by Hinkie. How could that team not succeed. :P

Don't forget ET

Edited by RoxSolid
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...