What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread: Toronto Raptors win NBA title #1.33 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The officials did a great job last night in Portland. Crowd was great too. Aside from the Thunder pissing down their legs the last few minutes everything about that game was awesome. 
I thought Lillard's approach to the officials the last two games has been great as well.  He was clearly unhappy with the refs a few times last night (once he was right on an out of bounds incorrect call), but he didn't stomp around like a baby and he didn't carry it over into the next possession.  The plays will even themselves out throughout a game and it will boil down to your execution in the end.

i like it when russel westbrook loses in the first round it just sort of makes me smile but i do feel bad for that steven adams guy because he looks like a pirate and in my book pirates are pretty cool take that to the bank brohans 
I like him too, Broheme.  Check this ooot:

In an interview with The Athletic, Adams says he’s more of a wine guy because he “bloats up” when he drinks beer, though he makes an exception for Guinness. In fact, he loves Guinness so much that he can’t finish a workout during the offseason without gulping down a glass immediately afterwards.

From the interview:

I usually have a pint of Guinness after every workout, to be honest, just because I have this weird thing. After every weightlifting session; Guinness is actually very high in iron, so I literally go to the same pub on the corner back in Wellington after I workout with a sweaty ###, and I go in there. The lady knows me. She has it ready at like 12 o’clock, always. So I show up there, and then just like, ‘Get a pint, bang, smash it in like two seconds and then go have lunch. Just one. Go have lunch, then go to practice.

Adams also says that when he’s really feeling like getting after it with some of his boys, he can down eight pints in one sitting. Count us out of any drinking competition with Adams and his friends.

Not to mention Durant, who willfully created an environment in which free agency for him and other stars are a vastly more important story lines than 99% of the actual games and then has the nerve to complain about reporters asking him about his pending free agency instead of some random mid-January tilt with the Suns.
in Durant's defense... my god it must be withering to hear the same question, asked in a barely slightly different way, hundreds of times per week. 

reporters want guys to talk so they can write a story, i get it. that's part of the deal. but when guys talk and reporters run off in some other direction, twist their words and write articles slagging the players to get clicks... i get why guys just give stock answers or don't want to talk at all. 

90% of sports media feels like TMZ/clickbait/National Enquirer bs. 

maybe instead of the entire media pool asking him the same questions about FA in January, February, March, etc. every. single. day... they could ask about.... almost anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah Steve Kerr can #### right off. Calling out Westbrook for his treatment of the media as "dangerous" for the league, meanwhile Draymond acts like a toddler on the court. Fans care way more about the flopping and the histrionics than they do about someone being mean to a reporter. 
I hear ya, but why is Westbrook such an ingrate?  I know he has a good reputation around OKC, but his treatment of the media is emblematic of his treatment of other, regular people too as told to me by people who have dealt with him first hand.  Would it absolutely kill him to just be nice?  

in Durant's defense... my god it must be withering to hear the same question, asked in a barely slightly different way, hundreds of times per week. 

reporters want guys to talk so they can write a story, i get it. that's part of the deal. but when guys talk and reporters run off in some other direction, twist their words and write articles slagging the players to get clicks... i get why guys just give stock answers or don't want to talk at all. 

90% of sports media feels like TMZ/clickbait/National Enquirer bs. 

maybe instead of the entire media pool asking him the same questions about FA in January, February, March, etc. every. single. day... they could ask about.... almost anything else.
That's a good point too.  

Rasheed Wallace was insufferable when he was here and refused to say anything to the local media other than "Both teams played hard" etc.  I think he just got fed up with them and vice versa.

That's a good point too.  

Rasheed Wallace was insufferable when he was here and refused to say anything to the local media other than "Both teams played hard" etc.  I think he just got fed up with them and vice versa.
Marshawn Lynch, too

forget where i saw it.. Vice, maybe? but they did one of those walkabout interviews with him in Oakland. the guy is positively loquacious and it would seem a terrific guy who is well loved in his community.

but he hates having to deal with the media because no matter what he says, it's going to get twisted to fit a story line that makes him look bad. so why play the game with them?

Reverse angle slo-mo is great.

I'm irrationally angry at the guy who looks like Beto who watches the whole thing through his phone. The guy who carefully places his phone on the ground as the shot falls and then pushes past his female companion to celebrate with Lillard, OTOH, is my hero.
this was my reaction to a college crowd storming the court this season. storm the court. have fun. but, if i had to guesstimate i'd say 95% of the kids rushing the court had cell phones out above their heads filming..... a blur and lots of screaming?

most of them weren't looking around, they were looking up at their cell phones.

like walking down the sidewalk & looking through a periscope. so bizarre.

I hear ya, but why is Westbrook such an ingrate?  I know he has a good reputation around OKC, but his treatment of the media is emblematic of his treatment of other, regular people too as told to me by people who have dealt with him first hand.  Would it absolutely kill him to just be nice?  
I dunno, it's getting old for sure but I'd be lying if I said I cared. I disagree with Kerr's central premise that the league is so popular because of all the media access. Guys like Russ should be able to opt out of that crap. 

this was my reaction to a college crowd storming the court this season. storm the court. have fun. but, if i had to guesstimate i'd say 95% of the kids rushing the court had cell phones out above their heads filming..... a blur and lots of screaming?

most of them weren't looking around, they were looking up at their cell phones.

like walking down the sidewalk & looking through a periscope. so bizarre.
Reminds me of Black Mirror episode (S2E2).

https://images.app.goo.gl/4e4L2UFKbM5ywFvt5

I like him too, Broheme.  Check this ooot:
One color commentary anecdote that has stuck with me for several years is that Adams usually eats seven full entrees when the team goes out to eat. Sometimes we can forget how insanely superhuman these guys are.

One color commentary anecdote that has stuck with me for several years is that Adams usually eats seven full entrees when the team goes out to eat. Sometimes we can forget how insanely superhuman these guys are.
Adams is more like a folk hero than mere human.

Serious question: do you think that was a good shot under the circumstances?  I didn't watch the game and only saw the replay of that play but the box score shows me how well he was shooting from three.  Normally we would be critical of a player not trying to get something better/closer.  
I wonder if he still takes that shot if they’re down 2 at that point. With the score tied, playing at home, having just erased a big deficit, Westbrook and George with 5 fouls each, Dame probably felt pretty good about OT even if he missed. So why not try to finish in style? But I suspect if the Blazers were behind they would’ve actually run a play.

Indiana and Detroit are easily the two worst teams in the playoffs.  Neither have superstars, elite coaches, or do anything especially well.  I can't get excited for those series at all.

Utah-Houston tonight intrigues me.  Houston destroyed Utah last year in five games, but Utah did steal game two.  Houston is still only 6.5 point favorites despite covering game 1 by 25 points. There must be some kinds of adjustments Utah can make, but I'm not sure what those might be yet.  
https://www.twitter.com/mzavagno11/status/1121163473990356993

This thread about game 4 is interesting.  Snyder also mentioned Utah had the best qSQ ratings.  The two home Houston blowouts seem fluky based on the spread, Utah simply missing quality shots, and some defensive adjustments they didn't yet make in game 2.  I look forward to tonight's game especially since backing the Rockets seems squarey.  

Hope the Clippers quit like Detroit and Brooklyn - impressed with how tough they have played this series

Reverse angle slo-mo is great.

I'm irrationally angry at the guy who looks like Beto who watches the whole thing through his phone. The guy who carefully places his phone on the ground as the shot falls and then pushes past his female companion to celebrate with Lillard, OTOH, is my hero.
 my favorite part is the imposter brent barry wearing a blazers jacket for a team he must have played for in a parallell universe who stands in full jesus pose as if it was his will that the shot fall who comes on screen from the right at about 33 seconds in take that to the bank bromigos 

mr. furley said:
Marshawn Lynch, too

forget where i saw it.. Vice, maybe? but they did one of those walkabout interviews with him in Oakland. the guy is positively loquacious and it would seem a terrific guy who is well loved in his community.

but he hates having to deal with the media because no matter what he says, it's going to get twisted to fit a story line that makes him look bad. so why play the game with them?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNpkSyryQz4

Moe. said:
Not excusing Westbrook's behavior by any means to be clear, I just found Kerr's comments way out of place.
Kerr learned from Phil Jackson, who always pulled the same kind of bull ####. 

Spartans Rule said:
I wonder if he still takes that shot if they’re down 2 at that point. With the score tied, playing at home, having just erased a big deficit, Westbrook and George with 5 fouls each, Dame probably felt pretty good about OT even if he missed. So why not try to finish in style? But I suspect if the Blazers were behind they would’ve actually run a play.
Good point.  And I agree, zero chance he takes that shot if they're down 2.

LA Clippers : how did we get so good at the basketball!!!

There's also the Donaghey affect. People and players will always have that lingering feeling in the back of their mind. "Is he trying to fix the game?"
Well yeah.   I mean, the NBA didn't exactly show well in that whole situation.  They didn't aggressively pursue the facts, and then they didn't want to know if this was behavior beyond Donaghey.  

Pair that with the latest Michael Lewis podcast.  We know that human bias plays a role in officiating -- so why is it shocking that players would find it upsetting to see egregiously bad ref decisions?

Well yeah.   I mean, the NBA didn't exactly show well in that whole situation.  They didn't aggressively pursue the facts, and then they didn't want to know if this was behavior beyond Donaghey.  

Pair that with the latest Michael Lewis podcast.  We know that human bias plays a role in officiating -- so why is it shocking that players would find it upsetting to see egregiously bad ref decisions?
Because 98% of the time the complaint isn't about something egregious, but some grey area judgement call or the complainer is flat out wrong.

Because 98% of the time the complaint isn't about something egregious, but some grey area judgement call or the complainer is flat out wrong.
It compounds though.  If you feel slighted by egregious things, then you are more likely to nitpick the small things and feel persecuted.

It compounds though.  If you feel slighted by egregious things, then you are more likely to nitpick the small things and feel persecuted.
And you will be wrong most of the time and look like a petulant child.  This behavior is unacceptable in every other walk of life.  When you have a 2% success rate, it is time to be humble and realize you are likely wrong and act accordingly,  not point to the 2% and continue in bad behavior as a result.

And you will be wrong most of the time and look like a petulant child.  This behavior is unacceptable in every other walk of life.  When you have a 2% success rate, it is time to be humble and realize you are likely wrong and act accordingly,  not point to the 2% and continue in bad behavior as a result.
I don't disagree with anything you wrote.  I'm just explaining basic human behavior.

Clippers going with a smaller lineup is sweet now that they don't have to worry about the Cousins matchup.

Really happy to hear Ralph Lawler call these playoff games.

Lou Williams  :shock:

I knew the dude could score, but last night was something else. Really glad the Lakers let him walk so they could bring in KCP a couple years back.

I knew the dude could score, but last night was something else. Really glad the Lakers let him walk so they could bring in KCP a couple years back.
How good could they have been I said kept him and D'Angelo Russell?

Lou was part of the vaunted 2012 Sixers with Iguodola,  Thad Young, Spencer Hawes, Old Elton Brand, Jrue Holiday, Jodie Meeks and a rookie Vucevic. All broken up the year after by Hinkie. How could that team not succeed. :P

How good could they have been I said kept him and D'Angelo Russell?
The D'Angelo Russell narrative of late is a pretty bad case of 20/20 hindsight. They made the right move at the time, all things considered. They needed Mozgov off the books, Russell didn't seem to be realizing his potential, had made the locker room uncomfortable, and they were planning to use the 2nd overall pick in the draft on his replacement. In hindsight right now, I guess it would have been better to trade the unused #2 overall pick in the draft instead. Had they done that at the time, the people in this thread would have absolutely (and rightly) been scathing in their criticism/ridicule.

The D'Angelo Russell narrative of late is a pretty bad case of 20/20 hindsight. They made the right move at the time, all things considered. They needed Mozgov off the books, Russell didn't seem to be realizing his potential, had made the locker room uncomfortable, and they were planning to use the 2nd overall pick in the draft on his replacement. In hindsight right now, I guess it would have been better to trade the unused #2 overall pick in the draft instead. Had they done that at the time, the people in this thread would have absolutely (and rightly) been scathing in their criticism/ridicule.
Counterpoint: #### them 

Lou was part of the vaunted 2012 Sixers with Iguodola,  Thad Young, Spencer Hawes, Old Elton Brand, Jrue Holiday, Jodie Meeks and a rookie Vucevic. All broken up the year after by Hinkie. How could that team not succeed. :P
Don't forget ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread