What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread: Toronto Raptors win NBA title #1.33 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite part of last night was the between game show talking about the refs in GS/HOU Game 1 for 10 minutes.  Then throw it to Reggie who talks about the refs for three minutes, and then Reggie concludes with "what I don't get is why all the sports talk radio shows were obsessed with the refs all day today, these are some great teams playing great basketball."  Made Kerr's supposed hypocrisy look extremely tame.

Not good, just gave back all of Milwaukee's confidence. Still, a split and a single beat down is a good bit better than being down 0-2.
Pretty sure milwaukee wasnt hurting for confidence. All the interviews i heard on local mke radio sounded the same as every other interview all season. 

:lmao: that's definitely the one positive you have rooting for Oregon teams - nobody is going to accuse of being a bandwagon fan of that trash
Sadly a bit true. I dont even have to explain i was born in oregon when i wear blazers gear here. If i had a dollar for every time somebody asked me where is rip city, well i guess i would have like 6 bucks, but still. 

I’m not a fan of either team, no money in it etc but my god Kevin Harlan sounded like he was rising to an orgasm every time GS made a basket. Then he would say “Harden for 3” at a quarter of the volume. How do Rockets fans sit through this? It annoyed the hell out of me. 

I’m not a fan of either team, no money in it etc but my god Kevin Harlan sounded like he was rising to an orgasm every time GS made a basket. Then he would say “Harden for 3” at a quarter of the volume. How do Rockets fans sit through this? It annoyed the hell out of me. 
I didn't notice the disparity (I believe I recall some excitement over multiple Houston plays, but admit it could have been unbalanced), but I was pulling for GS and love Harlan.

Harlan is great.  I miss him calling Wolves games.

I didn't notice the disparity (I believe I recall some excitement over multiple Houston plays, but admit it could have been unbalanced), but I was pulling for GS and love Harlan.
I’m usually a huge Harlan fan. Maybe my tv volume was jacked up or something. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26633540/the-nba-obsessed-3s-let-fix-thing

"Consider this crazy stat: During the 2018- 2019 regular season, NBA shooters made 27,955 3-point shots. That's more than they made during the entire 1980s (23,871)."
I loved this. I agree with Goldsberry, it's a real problem for the league. The increase in three-point shooting was great for the game in the early part of the decade when it led to better spacing and more ball movement, but now things seem to be moving in the other direction.

I'd like to see them move the line to 25 or maybe even 26 feet, and also get rid of the line that shortens corner 3s like he suggests. Maybe they could widen the court to 52 feet instead of 54 feet as a compromise between the need to change the rule and not wanting to make things too difficult for the arena managers dealing with seating plans.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved this. I agree with Goldsberry, it's a real problem for the league. The increase in three-point shooting was great for the game in the early part of the decade when it led to better spacing and more ball movement, but now things seem to be moving in the other direction.

I'd like to see them move the line to 25 or maybe even 26 feet, and also get rid of the line that shortens corner 3s like he suggests. Maybe they could widen the court to 52 feet instead of 54 feet as a compromise between the need to change the rule and not wanting to make things too difficult for the arena managers dealing with seating plans.
haven't read the article yet,  but I know there was buzz for a bit about a 4-point line. Not sure if it was just bloggers or what, but wondering if that would be any good or not

haven't read the article yet,  but I know there was buzz for a bit about a 4-point line. Not sure if it was just bloggers or what, but wondering if that would be any good or not
I think that would make things worse. Variety in offensive schemes is vanishing - there's zero value in mid range game now, and almost zero value in interior game as well. And I'm so ####### sick of watching teams run "the break" with the intent of getting  a corner three so often. There needs to be balance between offense generated at various spots in the front court. The game is devolving into one long patty cake match running picks at the three point line and shuttling the ball on the perimeter. There needs to be an adjustment made so that there's a place for guys like Maurice Lucas as much as there is for guys like Steph Curry.

That seems gimmicky to me. This is more about how the three point shot with the current line (and the shortened line along the sideline) is so much more efficient than any other shot on the floor that it's creating unappealing basketball. I'm fine with rewarding a team for generating a clean look at a three because that's hard to do, but at this point even bad, contested three point shots are more efficient than midrange jumpers, and that's just not fun to watch.

It's obviously just personal preference, but compare Giannis to Harden just in terms of scoring. Giannis is a great scorer because he has a unique ability to cover ground and get to the basket and finish in traffic. Harden is great because he can shoot 35% on ISO threes which has a higher eEFG% than basically anything other than a shot at the rim and also because he's really good at "drawing contact" on those threes.  For entertainment value I'll take the Freak every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I think most basketball fans would agree with that.  Moving the line out lowers that percentage and make the strategy less efficient.

which reminds me of maybe my favorite NBA quote of all-time by a player, who was apparently born a decade too soon, who responded to a reporter asking him why he shot so many 3s - ""Because there are no fours." 

https://www.celticsblog.com/2015/9/2/9216435/a-tribute-to-antoine-walker-employee-number-8

"For two seasons in particular, Antoine's three-point volume was ginormous. Walker hit 221 of 603 three pointers in the 2000-01 season (both leading the league), and 222 out of 645 the following season (second in makes only to Ray Allen, and again leading in attempts).

The sheer volume of Walker's three-point attempts compared to his peers cannot be understressed. In the 2000-01 season in which he led the league in both makes and misses, only three other players with more than hundred makes could be accepted as being actual 'big men' (Tim Thomas, 107; Rashard Lewis, 123; Dirk Nowitzki, 151)."

Goldsberry on Lowe’s podcast was very good and thought-provoking. They made the point that an average three point shooter taking a 3 is better value that a KAT post up, and that the league has basically been legislating against bigs for 30+ years. 
backlash to the Mourning, Ewing, Rik Smits, etc. eastern conference teams that beat the tar out of each other in the 80s and 90s.

and the Rockets who played 1 v 1 on every possession. fans complained it was boring/slow and wanted more 80s Lakers v Nuggest 150 - 140 contests.

backlash to the Mourning, Ewing, Rik Smits, etc. eastern conference teams that beat the tar out of each other in the 80s and 90s.

and the Rockets who played 1 v 1 on every possession. fans complained it was boring/slow and wanted more 80s Lakers v Nuggest 150 - 140 contests.
Yeah, I don't want mosh pit or iso ball to become dominant either. They've got to find a way to have room for a variety of styles and approaches to be effective.

Yeah, I don't want mosh pit or iso ball to become dominant either. They've got to find a way to have room for a variety of styles and approaches to be effective.
in theory that's what the G League should be

though, i guess that's how we got here in the first place since it seems the G League was the petri dish that resulted in teams playing Loyola Marymount ball again. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread