What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread: Toronto Raptors win NBA title #1.33 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My boys were incredulous when I told them Harlan used to do local Twolves broadcasts.
He still does GB Packers exhibition games.  It's odd having better announcers during those games than over half the regular season.

I loved this. I agree with Goldsberry, it's a real problem for the league. The increase in three-point shooting was great for the game in the early part of the decade when it led to better spacing and more ball movement, but now things seem to be moving in the other direction.
I have no problem with 3's but agree the league has now swung too far in favor of pure shooters over every other basketball skill.  The NBA has never been shy about making tweaks to the rulebook to shift how teams play.  Hopefully that continues with some combination of ideas to give teams multiple ways to be effective on offense vs the current homogeneous move to the same analytically sound 3's/rim/foul line approach.

I especially liked the idea of slimming the paint to improve the math on post play and moving the 3 point line out a bit.  I would also be in favor of doing something to the corner 3.  Eliminating it would be one solution, but the other idea Goldberry had that was really interesting was making it a 3 second area similar to the paint is for defenders.  I'd be intrigued to see how offenses would adapt when two players can't simply stand in the corner for the entire possession.

He still does GB Packers exhibition games.  It's odd having better announcers during those games than over half the regular season.
listening to Harlan and Rich Gannon call pre-season games nearly made me mute the tv in favor of the radio

then i remember that Larry McCarren is on the radio call and... well.... then i just turn the sound off completely.

at least Gannon wasn't on the pre-season calls last year but Harlan is so, so bad. and it pains me to say that considering he's one of us.

You assuming Denver gets by Portland will not age well. I know it is your schtick to predict demise for the teams you like though.
I'm usually right, though.  See Washington vs Ducks, 2016....Washington State vs Ducks 2017, etc, etc...

Portland has no answer for the Joker.  Not sure why you can't see this.  Plain as day.

You assuming Denver gets by Portland will not age well. I know it is your schtick to predict demise for the teams you like though.
I also had a season bet with @Moe. on who would have a better record, Portland or OKC and I took Portland, so I don't always predict demise for the teams I like.  I just understand down and distance a little better than the average myopic fan.  :shrug:

AND...I was boldly claiming the Ducks would beat UW this season and said so before the season began.  :bowtie:
True, I remember being surprised that you picked the Ducks over UW last year.  

I just think this series with Denver will be a great one that could go either way.  Experts agree with me and in fact more chose Portland winning the series than Denver.

Didn't you claim Portland would get beat by Oklahoma City?  
Probably.  But I also offered @Moe. a series wager when OKC was favored prior to game 1 and he politely declined.  

Dame had 39.....Kanter had 22 and they STILL lost game 1 by a bunch.  Couple that with the season against Denver and I don't think it bodes well for Portland.  Denver is a damn good basketball team.  I fully expect Thcnj99 or whatever to be rooting for them in 3 years' time.

Probably.  But I also offered @Moe. a series wager when OKC was favored prior to game 1 and he politely declined.  

Dame had 39.....Kanter had 22 and they STILL lost game 1 by a bunch.  Couple that with the season against Denver and I don't think it bodes well for Portland.  Denver is a damn good basketball team.  I fully expect Thcnj99 or whatever to be rooting for them in 3 years' time.
McCollum did almost nothing.  Denver was ice cold from outside against SA but lit it up in Game 1.  Reminded me of Game 3 against OKC.  I doubt that happens again.  

Goldsberry on Lowe’s podcast was very good and thought-provoking. They made the point that an average three point shooter taking a 3 is better value that a KAT post up, and that the league has basically been legislating against bigs for 30+ years. 
How exactly have they been legislating against bigs?

McCollum did almost nothing.  Denver was ice cold from outside against SA but lit it up in Game 1.  Reminded me of Game 3 against OKC.  I doubt that happens again.  
Yeah, McCollum tends to disappear when teams, you know......PLAY DEFENSE against him.  I don't think you remember the New Orleans series from last year, but they bottled both guards up and the frustration on Lillard's face in Game 1 was palpable.  And I still don't know what you think Portland is going to do with Joker.  Kanter is trying hard, but his wing is bad, man.  Justin Bieber Leonard is just a walking foul call and Collins is too green.  

How exactly have they been legislating against bigs?
On the podcast he goes all the way back to Mikan as far as that is concerned. So adding a three-point line, widening the lane, outlawing zone (for a time), etc. were all done (in his opinion) to make things more "fair" for guards/smaller guys. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26633540/the-nba-obsessed-3s-let-fix-thing

"Consider this crazy stat: During the 2018- 2019 regular season, NBA shooters made 27,955 3-point shots. That's more than they made during the entire 1980s (23,871)."
Read this article yesterday, fantastic.  My favorite idea is to change the line yearly so that it ultimately is at a distance with 33.33% chance of making the shot, thus expected points per shot of 1.  Second favorite was home team gets to pick the line for the season, that would be interesting.

Yup. And I've been vocal about both these same things. I've said from day 1 we overpaid on Hayward. Dude had 1 20ppg season over his entire career the season before we signed him to that deal. Minimal evidence to support that salary. It's going to hold us back.

Tatum got overhyped af. Rookie who averaged a very average 14ppg rookie season, and could only expand it to 15.7 his sophomore year. Pretty sure most young superstars (as he's been billed) are dropping more than 15.7 in their second season.
was listening to the Dunk'd on podcast today. Apparently they ranked the most efficient/best players in iso match-ups over the year who had at least 100 iso opportunities. Tatum ranked 95th. and there were only 95 players who had 100 iso attempts.  I might go back to drafting Fultz over Tatum, real winner out of the draft may be Orlando :whistle:

On the podcast he goes all the way back to Mikan as far as that is concerned. So adding a three-point line, widening the lane, outlawing zone (for a time), etc. were all done (in his opinion) to make things more "fair" for guards/smaller guys. 
Outlawing zone hurts big guys?  Would love to hear him defend that one.  When they were considering reallowing zone 15 years ago the biggest complainers were big men. 

One can argue that the line helps the big guy.  Making all shots equal value is going to cause teams to pack the lane even more.  They actually moved the line in to create spacing for the big guys in the mid 90's.

He may have used the illegal defense rules as an example of the NBA making tweaks in order to encourage a certain style of play,  not necessarily as something that benefitted non-post players 

He may have used the illegal defense rules as an example of the NBA making tweaks in order to encourage a certain style of play,  not necessarily as something that benefitted non-post players 
Of course it doesn't, it benefits players who generate offense close to the rim.  Should remove all defensive restictions with regard to style of play.  Only place you see it is in the NBA and u12 leagues.

Tatum got overhyped af. Rookie who averaged a very average 14ppg rookie season, and could only expand it to 15.7 his sophomore year. Pretty sure most young superstars (as he's been billed) are dropping more than 15.7 in their second season.
I'd agree with him being over-hyped.  Tatum's value isn't necessarily in his scoring, but his versatility and defense.  I'm personally more concerned he didn't have a bigger uptick in assists as he should be able to find the open guy more often than twice a game.  Plus his advanced stats all took a dip this season and he has been a no-show for the last 2 playoff games. 

However, he is also barely 21 years old.  He has only been able to buy a beer for 2 months now.  There is some time to improve and he is still off to a really good (but not as great as we hoped) start.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Jokic completely shoves Kanter into a Denver player---Jamal Murray rushes off of the bench and rushes an innocent Kanter--and somehow Jokic avoids a tech--and Kanter gets one even though he didn't do anything wrong. No wonder the home court is strong in Denver.   

So Jokic completely shoves Kanter into a Denver player---Jamal Murray rushes off of the bench and rushes an innocent Kanter--and somehow Jokic avoids a tech--and Kanter gets one even though he didn't do anything wrong. No wonder the home court is strong in Denver.   
Sounds about right.

I don't think the whole situation was a very big deal. :Shrug:

The best thing about this thread is all the ridiculous things people say after one game.  This team sucks.  This team is going to sweep.  They can't guard this guy.  That guy is unstoppable.  :lmao:

I'm sure they will rescind it like Green and Nene last night 

The best thing about this thread is all the ridiculous things people say after one game.  This team sucks.  This team is going to sweep.  They can't guard this guy.  That guy is unstoppable.  :lmao:
Don't agree with you often but yes the overreactions are extraordinary in here. It's almost like they've never seen playoff basketball where teams make adjustments after a game 1 loss.

Spike Eskin✔@SpikeEskin

Brett Brown (.588) has a higher playoff winning percentage than Brad Stevens (.509).  :brush:
Avery Bradley, Evan Turner, Tyler Zeller, Marcus Smart and Brandon Bass

vs.

Joel Embiid, JJ Redick, Ben Simmons, Dario Saric & Robert Covington

Marc Stein‏Verified account @TheSteinLine

The Celtics just announced that team president Danny Ainge suffered a mild heart attack in Milwaukee on Tuesday night. The team says Ainge received immediate medical attention and is expected to make a full recovery

Jayrod said:
I'd agree with him being over-hyped.  Tatum's value isn't necessarily in his scoring, but his versatility and defense.  I'm personally more concerned he didn't have a bigger uptick in assists as he should be able to find the open guy more often than twice a game.  Plus his advanced stats all took a dip this season and he has been a no-show for the last 2 playoff games. 
Mamba Mentality.  It only took some summer training sessions with Kobe and this is the result.

Marc Stein‏Verified account @TheSteinLine

The Celtics just announced that team president Danny Ainge suffered a mild heart attack in Milwaukee on Tuesday night. The team says Ainge received immediate medical attention and is expected to make a full recovery
Chipotlecardia. In ahead of the Aingina jokes

Last edited by a moderator:
Chipotlecardia. In ahead of the Aingina jokes
Seeing how all reports are that he is ok, I am sure there will be some minor jokes that get out there. I could see one come concerning something with Kyrie or an AD trade. I was thinking he probably was made aware the Sixers won Monday night, and if they can happen to squeeze by the Bucks he realized they may have to play the Sixers. I can't blame him

so.... if Klay, Green, and KD leave (or two out of three) how do you believe it will impact the league and playoffs?
will be a lot more fun I think. depends where they go, but it would seem to be that the league is up for grabs. my guess is KD leaves, the other 2 stay

will be a lot more fun I think. depends where they go, but it would seem to be that the league is up for grabs. my guess is KD leaves, the other 2 stay
... and on where the rest of the FA land as well.... which combos will we get, where?

we'll see what the bigger pull is- keeping a historic dynasty together or winning one where he is the clear #1 on a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread