What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread: Toronto Raptors win NBA title #1.33 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny, how the Kawhi saga has gone for me...

Went from 0% he re-signs when he arrived, to 25%, to 50/50.... Now, after Woj a few days back and what just happened.... I feel like it's now 65/35 he stays

I will admit Golden State is the better team if they win.  I hope you are man enough to do the same if Portland wins.  I have a feeling you will just make excuses.  Prove me wrong.
Do you really think that admitting Golden State is better is some courageous act?   It's weird how easily people forget the Warriors were a championship team without KD (who is out g1, probably out g2).  They were a Draymond nut kick away from being considered the greatest team in NBA history at that time.

Portland is definitely a tougher out for Golden State than Denver would have been, but Golden State's defense should match up 1000x better against Portland than OKC or Denver was able to do.  

I don't even know what type of excuses I could make other than someone else gets hurt or suspended

Looking forward to 2 of the best in the world going at it in the East.  Giannis and Kawhi are the best 2-way players in the NBA.  This series will be amazing.

I also really think the Sixers should move on from Brett Brown.  Does he deserve to be fired?  Not really.  But they have championship aspirations, and he has shown that he is not the guy for that.  Their offensive failures at times and the inability to lead or develop Simmons are too glaring of a problem to expect this team to take a step forward this season, especially without Harris and Butler.  He was a great coach for the re-building, but they need someone that can take them to another level.
This i don't get. What the hell has he done?! What has he taught ANYone to do? He couldnt help JOke-for or Futz find a game, couldn't integrate Saric into the scheme, has had Embiid & Simmons for three years without developing a 2man game, can't get Embiid to go low nor Simmons to step out. Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln - how'd you like the game? Having once been with Pop gives him a pass on all this?! If he's not the Dubya of ball, he's at least the Joe Biden.

Settle down, man. Pretty much every sports fan who isn't cheering for a defending champion/clear favorite underrates their teams. It's human nature. Unless you're from Boston.
So he underrates his team against Denver (who has never won anything), but thinks they will compete against Golden State (a championship team with or without KD)?  That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Free agency list is crazy deep this year (hoopshype), it's going to be one crazy summer :popcorn:  

Some of those career earnings numbers  :loco:
Question for anyone about that list..

Horford will opt-in at $30 Million, right?

Edit: Marc Gasol should too at $25.6 million.

Last edited by a moderator:
So he underrates his team against Denver (who has never won anything), but thinks they will compete against Golden State (a championship team with or without KD)?  That makes absolutely no sense at all. 
I'm not sure a guy who evaluates squads based on whether the franchise has ever won anything should be casting stones ... but if you want I'd be happy to place some blind wagers on Denver's matchups with Miami and Chicago next season.

I'm not sure a guy who evaluates squads based on whether the franchise has ever won anything should be casting stones ... but if you want I'd be happy to place some blind wagers on Denver's matchups with Miami and Chicago next season.
Sure, give me +25 each on Miami and Chicago :rolleyes:

I don't know why you are wasting time arguing about this.  Denver is not Golden State.  

Who cares?  I don't get paid to analyze basketball for a living.  I'm just a stupid fan.  No, I didn't think Portland could beat Denver.  They were the underdogs to start so I wasn't alone in that belief.  I doubt they can beat Golden State in this series, but I'm going to root my heart out and give you crap any chance I can because unlike most people here, you  have no humility which pairs up nicely with your complete absence of class.  Golden State is the best basketball team I've ever seen - yes, better than the Bulls teams.  When they are at their best, they are a real treat to watch.  I don't hate on them because they are good, I just find it funny that there wasn't a Golden State basketball fan alive until 2012 or whatever.  I digress.  I offered you $50 and am asking for +390. which is what the books have it at currently.  You going to take it or what?

re Horford, the buzz around here is that he wants to stay in Boston and will opt out and sign a 3-4 year deal at less than the $30 per (mid/low 20's). That would give the C's a little more cap wiggle room. 
i hear Al could leave for a 3yr from someone else but that's only because if he opts in he can be traded to the Pels.

btw, Kyrie goes, Celts still pretty much maxed if Horford & Baynes opt-in. Because of this, Scary Terry will probably be matched for lack of other PG options

Other likely opt-ins: Harrison Barnes & Valanciunas

Denver, just need to keep the core and let the team grow. Murray is a beast and will get better, they got Porter (?) waiting, and overall the team fits nicely together. 

Gonna be fun seeing Steph and Dame duel and tons of cuts to Mama Curry.
The Nuggets line-up is solid, but I'm not sure they are a definite Challenger in the West moving forward.  Millsap is huge for them, but his game is aging fast.  Not sure they have enough defense with the young core either.  Fun as hell to watch though.

Gotta disagree on Mama Curry too.  The number of times they'll show her and Dell in the stands will probably irritate us all.

Not sure which game it will be but looking forward to the upcoming Zach Collins/Draymond Green fisticuffs.  
Agreed 100%.  Green knows how to stay out of foul trouble though.  Give Collins another year of experience and another 15 pounds and he's going to surprise some people that are sleeping on his game right now.

Went from 0% he re-signs when he arrived, to 25%, to 50/50.... Now, after Woj a few days back and what just happened.... I feel like it's now 65/35 he stays
Is it legal to have this type of post without mentioning Paul George back to OKC?  Notebook updated. :)

Portland is definitely a tougher out for Golden State than Denver would have been
Don't see that myself.  Not enough non-Lillard/McCollum shooting to make GSW play their Hampton 5 monster minutes for another series.  Plus the Blazers drop coverage defense just won't work against the Splash Brothers.  Unless another major injury occurs Portland may be drawing dead in the WCF.

Best guess - Horford opts out to resign for more guaranteed money.  With Boston if they can add/keep a star.  Elsewhere is he's willing to go after a ring with Kawhi or Durant.

Guys....Ben Simmons sucks. I am positive every good NBA GM knows this. Now if Rob Hennigan gets a job somewhere maybe Philly can unload him. 
His shot is a concern, but Ben Simmons does not suck.  He has every other single skill that a scout would look for.  Only real question I have is, "How much does he want it?" I have no idea (nor am I seriously questioning it), but the reality star connection and all that goes with it is impossible to ignore.  Harden, among many others, fell for it for a while, and it just seems like a red flag.  Also raises issues with him pushing to LA at some point and all the drama that goes with it.  Heck, LeBron traded for the guy...after the All-Star draft.  lol

Last edited by a moderator:
i still can't figure out how i feel. i guess it's better than being blown out, but being so close stings a bit. If they land the 1st pick in the draft on Tuesday it will be easier.

certainly will burn for about a week i'm sure too
Would way rather be blown out in 4 than lose like this.  This one really hurts.

Who cares?  I don't get paid to analyze basketball for a living.  I'm just a stupid fan.  No, I didn't think Portland could beat Denver.  They were the underdogs to start so I wasn't alone in that belief.  I doubt they can beat Golden State in this series, but I'm going to root my heart out and give you crap any chance I can because unlike most people here, you  have no humility which pairs up nicely with your complete absence of class.  Golden State is the best basketball team I've ever seen - yes, better than the Bulls teams.  When they are at their best, they are a real treat to watch.  I don't hate on them because they are good, I just find it funny that there wasn't a Golden State basketball fan alive until 2012 or whatever.  I digress.  I offered you $50 and am asking for +390. which is what the books have it at currently.  You going to take it or what?
:lmao: the guy calling me a clown is concerned with class. Hilarious.  

no, I don't want your $50

You are right.  Zero fans before 2012 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jsM-lVfFyg

Looking forward to 2 of the best in the world going at it in the East.  Giannis and Kawhi are the best 2-way players in the NBA.  This series will be amazing.

I also really think the Sixers should move on from Brett Brown.  Does he deserve to be fired?  Not really.  But they have championship aspirations, and he has shown that he is not the guy for that.  Their offensive failures at times and the inability to lead or develop Simmons are too glaring of a problem to expect this team to take a step forward this season, especially without Harris and Butler.  He was a great coach for the re-building, but they need someone that can take them to another level.
Harris and Butler are expected to resign. This game can of course change but there's been no indication that either are unhappy here or are looking for the door.

Buddy of mine said this:

“Old. Bout to have to rebuild at Michigan. Take big payday with Cavs. Don't have to recruit. Former player and assistant GM with Cavs.”

If all of that is true then I kind of get it.
The bolded part is not true. But he's a great coach who has won everywhere. Wanted to test himself at the NBA level before he is done.

This i don't get. What the hell has he done?! What has he taught ANYone to do? He couldnt help JOke-for or Futz find a game, couldn't integrate Saric into the scheme, has had Embiid & Simmons for three years without developing a 2man game, can't get Embiid to go low nor Simmons to step out. Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln - how'd you like the game? Having once been with Pop gives him a pass on all this?! If he's not the Dubya of ball, he's at least the Joe Biden.
I like Brown and think he's a good coach but he's not the coach you need for a team looking to win a championship. I don't think he will be fired this year but I feel like a change would be good for the youth of the team. They now can see what they need to do in order to get to the next level and I don't know if Brown is the guy to get them there.

I hate to say it but tnc09 is right here.  Golden State had a tremendous fan base for a long time. This is from 2011:

Golden State Warriors: The NBA's Most Loyal Fan Base?

Of course most of those fans are not the same people that are in the building these days, and it'll get even worse when they move buildings, and we should definitely make fun of all the dot-com millionaire dooshbags in the lower bowl who don't know Don Nelson from Don Corleone.  But once you get past those folks I'd put the real Golden State fans there with Toronto and Portland as the best fans in the league.

So much cap space out there after the season.  Clippers and Knicks have two max slots open.  Teams with one max slot: Nets, Mavs, Lakers, Pacers, Kings, Jazz, Hawks.  Other teams could get there if they lose some of their own FAs.  

Maybe, but there has been a lot of talk of him opting out and looking more for a 3 year contract. he is one of the top C's on the market, and considering how many teams have tons of cap space it would make sense for him to shop around a bit. if I were him, signing a multi-year contract would be better considering the wear and tear on his body at this point.

A lot probably depends what really happened on that team this year with the chemistry and multiple issues. Everyone seems to blame Kyrie for all of it, but that is all media doing that, and Terry Rozier. I remember seeing Morris shove Brown on the court in November, so who knows what really is the locker room issue. But I imagine that has to weigh in Horford's decision too

re Horford, the buzz around here is that he wants to stay in Boston and will opt out and sign a 3-4 year deal at less than the $30 per (mid/low 20's). That would give the C's a little more cap wiggle room. 
you would have to think he at least explores the open market. there is a lot of money out there, and he is top 1 or 2 C on the market. would be silly for him to just resign with Boston when he may get a lucrative deal from some desperate team. it comes down to what he wants with championship aspirations (if Kyrie leaves does he want to stay), how much wear and tear on his body (does he want to play more 4 or 5), and really how he wants to finish his career. Boston is really dependent on him, but if he moved to a team with a good young promising C he could maybe add some years onto his career

Why not?  Toronto is a very nice city.

Why not?  Toronto is a very nice city.
well, the whole premise was he wanted to be "home" in LA.... Toronto basically has to win him over with salary (easy), winning (also easy, currently), and the way they kept his body healthy all season long was apparently much appreciated by the player.

If he goes to the clippers, it's legitimately to be home.That's the bottom line.

Good god, why?  :lmao:
As ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported Monday morning, Beilein had "become increasingly frustrated with the nature of college basketball recruiting  and the retention of top players to build a program." Let's take those one by one. The FBI investigation that uncovered just how prevalent cheating had become underlined the challenges a by-the-book recruiter like Beilein faced annually. Trust me when I tell you, he won't miss that part of the sport at all.

Meantime, Michigan is losing three starters early to the NBA Draft even though none of them are locks to be selected in the first round. That would obviously be frustrating for anybody -- especially when you consider the Wolverines could've theoretically returned every player from a roster that won 30 games and finished No. 6  last season. Had things broken a certain way, Michigan would've been the 2019-20 preseason No. 1. As it is, the Wolverines are losing their top three scorers -- and now their coach. That's a rough turn of events.

Either way, count me among those with mixed emotions. On one hand, I couldn't be happier for a decent man who started his career as a high school coach and weaved his way through the profession without ever being an assistant for anybody. It really is an amazing climb. I'll personally be rooting for Beilein to succeed. But, on the other hand, this is a big blow for college basketball, and that's unfortunate. In a sport short on people who entered it for the purest of reasons -- not to get wealthy or famous, but simply to teach young people -- Beilein was unique and one of the few coaches you could reasonably trust to mold a quality team, without a hint of rules violations, out of almost any roster. Michigan will definitely miss him. So will college basketball in general.

That's impressive. You're obviously pretty sharp, not sure why you are such a jackass to everyone that posts here though. 
Being realistic is not being a jackass.  People get all upset because I have no problem telling them their team/player isn't that good.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread