What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread: Toronto Raptors win NBA title #1.33 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW 

can put to rest the lottery is rigged shtick. If it were ever rigged it would have been right there. 
Rigged to keep a franchise in New Orleans, nothing more elaborate than that. Seattle had that franchise dead to rights if AD left with no Zion to replace him.

I still think this at least makes the Pelicans wait. That Lakers package isn't worth giving up the chance that Davis wants to stay for Zion and more cash. Nothing in a Lakers offer is likely changing the destiny of the franchise.

You wait till the deadline. Same crap offers now will be there then. But maybe, just maybe, Davis reconsiders wanting to go play for a dumpster fire organization with an old star nobody likes playing with. 
i don't know, that thing was getting uglier and uglier. Agent seemed to screw up the situation, wonder if they would urge AD to pull a Jimmy Butler, thus decreasing his value

:lol:  Why on earth would Kyrie and Durant want to go to NY? 

They literally have nothing there. I mean literally nothing. At the least, you'd hope they'd have someone that could shoot on the roster.......Nope :lmao:  

You'll have KD and Irving and the collection of these wonderful players under contract. Let me know how many of these guys you've actually heard of: Lance Thomas (?? partial guarantee), Frank Nidkajflaja;djkla (bust "PG' they drafted), Dennis Smith Jr. (proven to be wonderful playing without the ball....lets face it, he's sucks with it too), Kevin Knox (obviously a future MVP if you're a Knicks fan), Alonzo Trier, Henry Ellenson (the tall sloth Pistons recent draft pick bust), Mitchell Robinson (???), Damyean Dotson (???).
Man, you have a lot of dislike for a team that hasn't been relevant for 20 years.... who hurt you?   🤣

If you are using “net benefit” narrowly to say the team today is better than it was when Hinkie took over, I of course agree. I don’t think one can really say the strategy was a net positive relative to alternative strategic approaches, for the reasons you articulated. And I think it’s also debatable whether tanking was “worth it” in the grand scheme of things; the Sixers are something like 150 games under .500 since 2012, even accounting for these last couple years. 

Despite my general skepticism of the tanking strategy, I would not argue that it was bad for this particular team. As I’ve said before, I went to games the last time your team was in the playoffs, and it certainly appeared that the fan base could not have cared less as a general matter. And apparently the losing seasons weren’t as much of a burden for you guys as it appears to those of us on the outside looking in. But I suspect most fan bases are not similarly situated in that regard. 
I've worked retail in the same store near my house for yrs. It's in Delaware County which couldn't be anymore Philly from a sports fan perspective then people in the city. People in Delco live and breath Philly sports. I've worked at my Super Market first an A&P Superfresh/then ACME so I tend to see fashionable trends and what people wear and have regular customers. I started in 04. Once Lebron came into the NBA I started seeing some more James Jersey's then Sixers Jerseys. The occasional Iverson, Mutumbo or Erving. As the years went on the more Lebron, then Durant and others I saw over 76ers Jerseys. Lebron goes to MIA and I saw a big boost in HEAT gear in my hometown more Wade/Bosh/James then 76ers stuff. I would see other teams too. When MIA was winning I saw a lot of heat gear. Then when GS got good much more GS gear. During the hey days of the tanking our MLS soccer club The Union which is based in Chester (You don't want to live in Chester or be there at night) was outdrawing the 76ers in a smaller venue and our Union sucked almost just as much. In the last 2 yrs I've seen a rise in 76ers gear when they became good. This city maybe when I was younger was bigger on the NBA team but after that NBA finals Run with AI the city seems to have cared less. People here seem to care more about rooting for individual players then a specific team. That doesn't say I don't know 76ers diehards but they are few and far between. It's nothing compared to the fans living and breathing the Eagles especially, Phillies or even Flyers. I think more people today in our town care more about College ball then the 76ers unless they are good. It's not a bad thing saying this but the 76ers out of the 4 major sports teams have the biggest group of bandwagon fans over the last 15 or so yrs. 

Maybe all of that isn't to fault our city. Many just I think are "why bother if you don't have a SuperStar why bother rooting or watching the games." and you can probably see that in many cities with NBA teams today. However it seems the Sixers fateful gets really butthurt when people go after the team for the tanking. As Philadelphian It was embarrassing to watch the blatant tanking by the ownerships. Even not rooting for the team I felt embarrassed but I'm also someone who feels it's bush league and cheap. If you can't draft and run a successful team IMHO you maybe shouldn't be running a pro sports team. Thats just how I feel. It does seem the tanking and all has gotten many actual 76ers fans pretty defensive of their team. A lot of jaded opinions including some in here thinking things are guaranteed. Biggest argument I got was if they got two Stars one being Simmons stars would come and a chance to land Lebron. They got no one.

I sat behind a fan at a 76ers game vs the Kings The All Star game prior to Ben being drafted talking to a 76ers staffer. He also started talking to my buddy and I as he was giving some helpful info on the team. The Team just got rid of Hinkie and this guy had plenty to say saying if Hinkie Stayed Brown wouldn't and once Colangelo is announced Brown will be announced that day having signed a extension (That happened and reports later came out about Hinkie/Brown not seeing eye to eye). I asked what the deal with the 76ers being interested in Teague/Schroader for Noel rumor was about. He said Colangelo using his US B-Ball sources asked the players their thoughts on the 76ers and possible interest signing there. JC came with the conclusion the 76ers were not getting a KD/James/etc without the team trading for a Superstar or at least B tier all star who resigns with the team first. In other words fans can argue that the team has the cap and young players others can't offer but Superstars aren't going to Philly as they didn't trust ownership not to tank again if they didn't succeed the first few seasons and didn't want to be part of some rebuild.I actually ran into this staffer at a game in Decemeber (My cousins fraternity brother bought suites for all his clients and got my cousin and myself a ticket too and I got to see Doncic live) and reintroduced myself. I told him I was that Bulls fan he was talking to a few seasons ago and he remembered me surprisnglingly. He basically after I asked how much contention the 76es were in on Lebron and he said they weren't Team was literally used as a stalking horse by Lebron. He heard some chatter but nothing concrete had the team traded for Kawhi and got him to extend Lebron may have seriously considered the 76ers and Signed but there was no guarantee Kawhi was gonna extend his current contract after being traded and Lebron going there. 

76ers fans basically defended this tank acting like some of these things were guaranteed. I wish I could go back to my old board if it existed and pull up all the post of how people were guarantying a title by 2019 with signing Lebron and or KD and having Simmons here. Not to be a jerk but to show how nothing is guaranteed. They in fact were more jerk offs to me then I was to them. To them being a Bulls fans I was called a hater or just jealous the Sixers were better. I had another poster who was basically on my side a 76ers fan who was not defending the Tank at all and in fact despised it.

What's the deal with Giannis growing a mouth? I've liked the dude but don't start getting arrogant before yall accomplished anything. Embiid's already enough to deal with.
he was a #### to Ben calling him a baby and b'tch before Ben sent his shot into the crowd (i know, Giannis torched him). he has earned it, but let's see how it works for him

A lot more valuable. Not taking Kuzma, Ingram and the number 4 in place of getting Davis for 1 more season would be mind bogglingly stupid for the Pelicans.   If the Pelicans kept Davis for this season--they still are not championship contender quality--they are probably 2nd round  playoff quality.  People seem to forget how well Ingram was playing last season before he got hurt.  He has tremendous upside.  A core of Zion, jrue, kuzma, ingram, whoever they draft at #4 would be a fantastic young nucleus to build on. 
I’d still take Tatum over any asset in that Lakers proposal. 

New Orleans doesn’t own the team — Gayle Benson does.

Do things look THAT hopeless from outside New Orleans?
i have no idea, but i thought they were one of the lowest attended teams. even when they had a push last year it seemed the city didn't buy into them much.

certainly fine to stay there and see if you can grow the franchise (but damn it for the NBA not forcing Utah to change their name and making New Orleans Jazz instead of f'n Pelicans), but just seems like if you ever thought to sell the team now would be the best time 

Winning 92-90 was because of great offense? :mellow:

I don't think you understand the game at all - you are the one who thought the Celtics were actually good. 
Last shot.  Simmons + Embiid double team couldn't keep Kawhi from scoring.

IIRC, the way they made it sound on WIP was that Porzingas wouldn't work out for them....Hinkie was going to take him anyway and the 76ers ownership basically told him they wanted/needed a Day One ready player.  So they took Okafor. 
Everything I read said Porzingis refused to play for the 76ers so they went else where with the pick to avoid a headache. Even if that's the Case I'd have drafted him and gotten a trade partner who wanted him further down the draft and acquired some extra picks and maybe gotten a nice player in return but that's just me. And I take anything said on WIP or these radio stations here with huge grains of salt. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything I read said Porzingis refused to play for the 76ers so they went else where with the pick to avoid a headache. Even if that's the Case I'd have drafted him and gotten a trade partner who wanted him further down the draft and acquired some extra picks and maybe gotten a nice player in return but that's just me
Hinkie was going to do that. He was overridden.

As a single asset--I agree with you--but at this moment in time--Tatum/brown/rozier is not better than Kuzma/Ingram/#4.  Ingram and Kuzma both put up numbers that were comparable if not better than Tatum this past season.   Tatum had a chance to increase his value meteorically this season and in brutal honesty--he borderline regressed.  I believe the Celtics were actually more efficient offensively when he was off the court versus when he was on it.  

I've worked retail in the same store near my house for yrs. It's in Delaware County which couldn't be anymore Philly from a sports fan perspective then people in the city. People in Delco live and breath Philly sports. I've worked at my Super Market first an A&P Superfresh/then ACME so I tend to see fashionable trends and what people wear and have regular customers. I started in 04. Once Lebron came into the NBA I started seeing some more James Jersey's then Sixers Jerseys. The occasional Iverson, Mutumbo or Erving. As the years went on the more Lebron, then Durant and others I saw over 76ers Jerseys. Lebron goes to MIA and I saw a big boost in HEAT gear in my hometown more Wade/Bosh/James then 76ers stuff. I would see other teams too. When MIA was winning I saw a lot of heat gear. Then when GS got good much more GS gear. During the hey days of the tanking our MLS soccer club The Union which is based in Chester (You don't want to live in Chester or be there at night) was outdrawing the 76ers in a smaller venue and our Union sucked almost just as much. In the last 2 yrs I've seen a rise in 76ers gear when they became good. This city maybe when I was younger was bigger on the NBA team but after that NBA finals Run with AI the city seems to have cared less. People here seem to care more about rooting for individual players then a specific team. That doesn't say I don't know 76ers diehards but they are few and far between. It's nothing compared to the fans living and breathing the Eagles especially, Phillies or even Flyers. I think more people today in our town care more about College ball then the 76ers unless they are good. It's not a bad thing saying this but the 76ers out of the 4 major sports teams have the biggest group of bandwagon fans over the last 15 or so yrs. 

Maybe all of that isn't to fault our city. Many just I think are "why bother if you don't have a SuperStar why bother rooting or watching the games." and you can probably see that in many cities with NBA teams today. However it seems the Sixers fateful gets really butthurt when people go after the team for the tanking. As Philadelphian It was embarrassing to watch the blatant tanking by the ownerships. Even not rooting for the team I felt embarrassed but I'm also someone who feels it's bush league and cheap. If you can't draft and run a successful team IMHO you maybe shouldn't be running a pro sports team. Thats just how I feel. It does seem the tanking and all has gotten many actual 76ers fans pretty defensive of their team. A lot of jaded opinions including some in here thinking things are guaranteed. Biggest argument I got was if they got two Stars one being Simmons stars would come and a chance to land Lebron. They got no one.

I sat behind a fan at a 76ers game vs the Kings The All Star game prior to Ben being drafted talking to a 76ers staffer. He also started talking to my buddy and I as he was giving some helpful info on the team. The Team just got rid of Hinkie and this guy had plenty to say saying if Hinkie Stayed Brown wouldn't and once Colangelo is announced Brown will be announced that day having signed a extension (That happened and reports later came out about Hinkie/Brown not seeing eye to eye). I asked what the deal with the 76ers being interested in Teague/Schroader for Noel rumor was about. He said Colangelo using his US B-Ball sources asked the players their thoughts on the 76ers and possible interest signing there. JC came with the conclusion the 76ers were not getting a KD/James/etc without the team trading for a Superstar or at least B tier all star who resigns with the team first. In other words fans can argue that the team has the cap and young players others can't offer but Superstars aren't going to Philly as they didn't trust ownership not to tank again if they didn't succeed the first few seasons and didn't want to be part of some rebuild.I actually ran into this staffer at a game in Decemeber (My cousins fraternity brother bought suites for all his clients and got my cousin and myself a ticket too and I got to see Doncic live) and reintroduced myself. I told him I was that Bulls fan he was talking to a few seasons ago and he remembered me surprisnglingly. He basically after I asked how much contention the 76es were in on Lebron and he said they weren't Team was literally used as a stalking horse by Lebron. He heard some chatter but nothing concrete had the team traded for Kawhi and got him to extend Lebron may have seriously considered the 76ers and Signed but there was no guarantee Kawhi was gonna extend his current contract after being traded and Lebron going there. 

76ers fans basically defended this tank acting like some of these things were guaranteed. I wish I could go back to my old board if it existed and pull up all the post of how people were guarantying a title by 2019 with signing Lebron and or KD and having Simmons here. Not to be a jerk but to show how nothing is guaranteed. They in fact were more jerk offs to me then I was to them. To them being a Bulls fans I was called a hater or just jealous the Sixers were better. I had another poster who was basically on my side a 76ers fan who was not defending the Tank at all and in fact despised it.
:lmao:  

maybe. Celtics draft assets seem to have really soured with how long Danny held onto them (funny all the comments about the Kings pick toward Sixers fans, Celts are the one's most effected). Memphis picking #2 seems to really set that team up very well if they can ever stay healthy

These are the days of our lives.  I predict things will get very interesting with the AD saga.

The knock on AD is he doesn’t have that killer instinct to command the ball and put away games.  Sin had that.  AD wanted a trade to win a championship if I recall.  If AD stays then you have Holiday, AD, and Zion.  That has to be very very tempting for AD now.  That could start a dynasty if they get the right compliment of bench players.
I heard and read a few rumors CHI if they didn't get a top 5 pick would be willing to trade that for Jrue. Again I don't know how true that is and if it's coming from Chicago Sun I'd take it with a grain of salt but that was a rumor I saw recently 

Have been reading some tweets from Knicks fans saying they wouldn’t want to include Mitchell Robinson in this deal - that would be too much, as “Robinson has potential to be AD with slightly better defense.” :lmao:  Amazing.
What the hell has happened to Knick fans? They use to be intelligent to converse with? 

Everything I read said Porzingis refused to play for the 76ers so they went else where with the pick to avoid a headache. Even if that's the Case I'd have drafted him and gotten a trade partner who wanted him further down the draft and acquired some extra picks and maybe gotten a nice player in return but that's just me. And I take anything said on WIP or these radio stations here with huge grains of salt. 
WIP is WIP. I agree.  I do think the idea that Hinkie was overruled was legit though.  

i have no idea, but i thought they were one of the lowest attended teams. even when they had a push last year it seemed the city didn't buy into them much.

certainly fine to stay there and see if you can grow the franchise (but damn it for the NBA not forcing Utah to change their name and making New Orleans Jazz instead of f'n Pelicans), but just seems like if you ever thought to sell the team now would be the best time 
Benson is totally commited to New Orleans — she’s not throwing in the towel just because the Pelicans aren’t as popular as the Saints right now.

She’s lived in New Orleans all of her life. Maybe us locals are crazy, but most of us believe in this place and support it maybe more than cold logic would dictate.

As a single asset--I agree with you--but at this moment in time--Tatum/brown/rozier is not better than Kuzma/Ingram/#4.  Ingram and Kuzma both put up numbers that were comparable if not better than Tatum this past season.   Tatum had a chance to increase his value meteorically this season and in brutal honesty--he borderline regressed.  I believe the Celtics were actually more efficient offensively when he was off the court versus when he was on it.  
I’d rate Tatum and Brown higher going forward than those guys from the Lakers. Not sure how to value #4 in what is apparently a two player draft. I’d have to do read up on draft stuff, but it’s possible that I’d prefer the Memphis future pick in a presumably better draft. 

Last edited by a moderator:
AD odds:

TEAM ANTHONY DAVIS WILL BE ON GM 1 OF 19/20 RS

LA Lakers  +180

-

Boston Celtics  + 200

-

NY Knicks +1700

-

Philadelphia 76ers  +1500

New Orleans Pelicans  +950

-

-

Field - Any Other Team   + 275

I’d rate Tatum and Brown higher going forward than those guys from the Lakers. Not sure how to value #4 in what is apparently a two player draft. I’d have to do read up on draft stuff, but it’s possible that I’d prefer the Memphis future pick in a presumable better draft. 
i can not imagine Memphis is thinking AD at all. his chances of resigning there seem slim to none. Make much more sense to draft #2 and pair him with JJ Jr. & Conley. Adding Valecunas and Delon Wright and they may be sneaky good (course my dopey self thought that this year too when they looked great first 1/3 then plummeted to not hit their season win over total)

i can not imagine Memphis is thinking AD at all. his chances of resigning there seem slim to none. Make much more sense to draft #2 and pair him with JJ Jr. & Conley. Adding Valecunas and Delon Wright and they may be sneaky good (course my dopey self thought that this year too when they looked great first 1/3 then plummeted to not hit their season win over total)
I think they deal Conley this offseason and just turn the keys over to JJJ and Ja. 

Because the team has officially had a home in the city since 07. A franchise only lasting what? maybe 15 years in a city before packing up would be a major black mark on the league.
So that’s a black mark but rigging the lottery isn’t? 

These conspiracy theories are wild. 

I think they deal Conley this offseason and just turn the keys over to JJJ and Ja. 
yeah would make a ton of sense. not sure what they can get back for him, but could be a fun team. That Parsons contract still kills them, but would be interested if they dipped their toe in free agency as well

As would I but I really don't think the Celts are going to be players here. Really never have. I'd have dealt Irving at the deadline personally. Never have viewed him as an alpha and he wasn't giving them any indication of a committment.

They're stuck with Hayward (due $33 mil!!! in 2019-20). Perhaps Horford opts out hoping for that Milsap type deal.

I fully believe Jayson Tatum will be a foundation superstar. I wouldn't deal him. Rozier-Smart-Tatum-Brown-Horford (if kept/resigns) will compete in the East IMO. Hayward's contract is enough IMO for any elite superstar to avoid the situation at all costs. Celts just have to pray he can become a facilitator / spot up shooter and not Chandler Parsons for the next 2 years.

WIP is WIP. I agree.  I do think the idea that Hinkie was overruled was legit though.  
I really don't trust anything that ownership tries to sell. That's been my issue with the whole 76ers for awhile. They seem to talk out of both sides. Harris seems more interested in his Devils and wouldn't be surprised if he gets the Sixers valued enough over the next 10 yrs and sells to the highest bidder title or no title. I think they are the ones treating Embiid and Simmons with kid gloves and Brown wants to tell them to put the big boy pants on but Ownership is afraid of hurting their feelings and if one or both leave do to that they seem to have little plan in place. I get that sense because I felt the Butler move was a move out of desperation to please restless fans about not landing a big named FA or trading for Leonard. Then put all their eggs in the basket at the deadline getting Harris. I just don't trust the ownership. I know some fans don't trust these articles on Brown and ownership having issues with each other but I got all the way back to their issues with Embiid at Summer League. The Sixers staffer I talked to 3 yrs ago and then recently in December made it seem like Brown and the Ownership are at odds but given Brown's big deal Ownership won't fire him so they don't have to pay the guarantees plus there no legit candidate right now they can PR move thats better. Overall I just don't trust their ownership and why even not being a fan I was against the team tanking, I think Josh Harris is just an owner version of Chip Kelly. A snake Oil's sales man. Don't get me wrong the pre game stuff and all was amazing idea and they do a great job but showmanship only goes so far if the product on the floor doesn't produce. Basically everything the dude told me 3 yrs ago from the don't be surprised the 76ers don't land a Lebron or KD unless they already have a legit All star in place not named Joel or Ben came true. Brown resigned the same day Colangelo got announced among other things I've read that have been reported. 

I think the team has a lot of question marks and I mean blatant questions but some fans seem to completely ignore them. Ben's issues shooting, Embiid's health, what's their plan if neither Butler/Harris resign, do they trade Simmons or at least look at what his market value could be this offseason, they need to rebuild the bench and at least find a legit 3 and D PG if they keep Simmons (I was one of the people who thought they took the wrong Clipper and should've taken PB). There's just legit questions here. So I don't understand fans completely ignoring them and it what really has turned me to almost despise the team and hope it fails. It's the sheer cockiness from a lot of the fans of the team is guaranteed this or that. They are set up well if it works out but they also have HUGE HIGH RISKS that if it doesn't work out you might be going into Tank 2.0 fast. I mean for the sake of the diehards I hope I'm wrong about this. 

I could see them dealing Conley--but they would have to find a team desperate to absorb one of the richer contracts in the league. Conley is set to make like $32 million next year and I think close to $34 million the following year.   I'm certainly not saying that he's not tradeable--but his contract is not going to be very appealing to a lot of suitors.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread