What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread: Toronto Raptors win NBA title #1.33 (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
realizing that i'm years (?) behind the curve on this.. i really thought that was Rob Lowe standing next to Magic at Lakers games and just assumed Lowe was a part-owner or something.
You also have to wonder how much Pelinka has worked "yeah, I'm Rob Lowe" schtick throughout his life. Imagine the amount of tail you could pull...

Indiana and Detroit are easily the two worst teams in the playoffs.  Neither have superstars, elite coaches, or do anything especially well.  I can't get excited for those series at all.

Utah-Houston tonight intrigues me.  Houston destroyed Utah last year in five games, but Utah did steal game two.  Houston is still only 6.5 point favorites despite covering game 1 by 25 points. There must be some kinds of adjustments Utah can make, but I'm not sure what those might be yet.  

Last edited by a moderator:
and if you dont know then kevin will use one of his alias twitter accounts to tell you take that to the bank brohans

I've only said nice things about the Bucks.  I hope they lose now.
well i am rooting for them and karma is based on how long you have been a basketball fan so since i have watched bball for at least 3 years that means i count for three times the average warriors fan take that to the bank bromigo

Indiana and Detroit are easily the two worst teams in the playoffs.  Neither have superstars, elite coaches, or do anything especially well.  I can't get excited for those series at all.

Utah-Houston tonight intrigues me.  Houston destroyed Utah last year in five games, but Utah did steal game two.  Houston is still only 6.5 point favorites despite covering game 1 by 25 points. There must be some kinds of adjustments Utah can make, but I'm not sure what those might be yet.  
yeah i feel for both Indiana and detroit. Pretty sure Indiana wins this series easily if Oladipo is healthy, but man they are really impotent without him. Same with Detroit missing Blake, would have made a fun series. 

I am intrigued at what Kyrie does this summer. he seems like a guy who says what is on his mind, and really he is the main reason Boston is going to win this series against Indiana. Considering most of the season half of the Celtics' fan-base bashed Kyrie and wanted him off the team, i can see no reason why he would want to stay there. Have to think if he stays he definitely gets the max. paying for Horford, Heyward and Kyrie, there isn't much money left on the salary cap for a ton more. Wonder if Brown will demand a contract extension this off-season after guys like Simmons get his too

Calls in the NBA are just inexplicable some times. Guys will get mauled and no whistle. Then phantom touches, that even if they were actual touches didnt have any effect on anything ,draw a whistle. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/ny-sports-brett-brown-76ers-20190416-tto22hsfvje4zeq2y7egfkij2y-story.html

But the Sixers are a mess internally, with Brown having long ago lost the locker room following the acquisition of Jimmy Butler, but before the acquisition of Tobias Harris. The breaking point came at a game in Portland when Brown had Bruce Bowen address the team about “San Antonio Spurs culture” – a speech that went over like a lead balloon to such an extent that Joel Embiid and Bowen got into each other‘s faces.

The degree to which Brown lost the locker room was amplified on March 25 when Ben Simmons sat out a 21-point loss to the Orlando Magic due to a “stomach virus.”

In actuality, a source close to the team told the Daily News, Simmons had spent the previous night partying in Orlando. The “stomach virus” was a fallacy, although that is nothing new for the Sixers organization. They used to do the same thing when Allen Iverson was partying and gambling his nights away in Atlantic City and showing up for practice hung over. Larry Brown was the mastermind of those cover-ups, although the stories eventually came out.

A source who spoke to the Daily News on condition of anonymity said general manager Elton Brand made it known to ownership sometime before the trade deadline that the organization needed to consider trading Simmons because the youngster was simply not coachable, and was a regular-season player annually exposed in the playoffs.

The idea was immediately shot down, and Brand was told that Simmons and Embiid were untouchable – even if Anthony Davis was the prize.

But back to the Sixers: Ever wonder why Simmons is such a poor free throw shooter? It is because he does not bend his knees. Countless coaches have tried to tell Simmons that bending his knees would solve his problems, but he refuses to listen.

I agree that the Pistons are bad, but they have a star. Blake Griffin was awesome this year - 24.5/7.5/5.5 and he shot 36% from 3 on 522 attempts. He's really, really good. 

Unfortunately, of course, he's not playing in this series. At least not yet.

Also, Casey did win Coach of the Year just last year.

Calls in the NBA are just inexplicable some times. Guys will get mauled and no whistle. Then phantom touches, that even if they were actual touches didnt have any effect on anything ,draw a whistle. 
to your point sterling brown just got literally punched in the face and did not get a call take that to the bank brohan

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/ny-sports-brett-brown-76ers-20190416-tto22hsfvje4zeq2y7egfkij2y-story.html

But the Sixers are a mess internally, with Brown having long ago lost the locker room following the acquisition of Jimmy Butler, but before the acquisition of Tobias Harris. The breaking point came at a game in Portland when Brown had Bruce Bowen address the team about “San Antonio Spurs culture” – a speech that went over like a lead balloon to such an extent that Joel Embiid and Bowen got into each other‘s faces.

The degree to which Brown lost the locker room was amplified on March 25 when Ben Simmons sat out a 21-point loss to the Orlando Magic due to a “stomach virus.”

In actuality, a source close to the team told the Daily News, Simmons had spent the previous night partying in Orlando. The “stomach virus” was a fallacy, although that is nothing new for the Sixers organization. They used to do the same thing when Allen Iverson was partying and gambling his nights away in Atlantic City and showing up for practice hung over. Larry Brown was the mastermind of those cover-ups, although the stories eventually came out.

A source who spoke to the Daily News on condition of anonymity said general manager Elton Brand made it known to ownership sometime before the trade deadline that the organization needed to consider trading Simmons because the youngster was simply not coachable, and was a regular-season player annually exposed in the playoffs.

The idea was immediately shot down, and Brand was told that Simmons and Embiid were untouchable – even if Anthony Davis was the prize.

But back to the Sixers: Ever wonder why Simmons is such a poor free throw shooter? It is because he does not bend his knees. Countless coaches have tried to tell Simmons that bending his knees would solve his problems, but he refuses to listen.
@modogg  :lmao:   :lmao:

bucks down by 1 at the half the pistons are playing really well and full of energy take that to the bank brohans

Source was Eric Jr. 

ETA: timing of this article is perfect too. I don't know how things like this even get published. Dude is literally talking out of his a$$ making stuff up and the media just gobbles it right up. Great information always comes from "anonymous sources". It is like some random dude would really talk to this guy in the middle of the playoffs? and give the story to some 2-bit NY Daily News guy. 

I agree that the Pistons are bad, but they have a star. Blake Griffin was awesome this year - 24.5/7.5/5.5 and he shot 36% from 3 on 522 attempts. He's really, really good. 

Unfortunately, of course, he's not playing in this series. At least not yet.

Also, Casey did win Coach of the Year just last year.
And still got fired because he is certainly not elite

Inexcusable neglect by Indiana and Detroit not to plan ahead for the devastating injuries to their all-stars this season by having four other all-stars including two MVPs on the roster, IMO.  Not sure what their front offices were thinking.

So the more I think about it, the more I think Butler won't be in Philly next year. I get the sports media loves to hype up everything and potential moves, etc., but I would think most front offices operate differently. Butler loves to speak his mind, and I would have to think Butler and Brand have met a few times to discuss the potential for him to want to stay in Philly. Considering the overpay the Sixers gave up for Harris, I would think they have a conversation up to the deadline and Brand felt he needed the plan b.

it is good that Butler has been a good teammate and the Sixers front office has handled well. not sure they ever want to lock into 4 max contracts.

Still figuring out what that fool from the NY Daily News was writing about. Sixers came out today and basically laughed at it saying there wasn't an ounce of truth in it. same with Ben and all. Maybe NY is getting desperate they won't land Durant and Kyrie with their 2 open max slots and trying to stir the pot to get something to fill the seats? if Durant and/or Kyrie don't care there, Knicks did dig themselves in quite a hole already promoting those 2 going there

TobiasFunke said:
Inexcusable neglect by Indiana and Detroit not to plan ahead for the devastating injuries to their all-stars this season by having four other all-stars including two MVPs on the roster, IMO.  Not sure what their front offices were thinking.
Is every comment I make in here going to be responded with some regurgitated Warriors joke?  I forgot that's more exciting to this group than the games.

modogg said:
So the more I think about it, the more I think Butler won't be in Philly next year. I get the sports media loves to hype up everything and potential moves, etc., but I would think most front offices operate differently. Butler loves to speak his mind, and I would have to think Butler and Brand have met a few times to discuss the potential for him to want to stay in Philly. Considering the overpay the Sixers gave up for Harris, I would think they have a conversation up to the deadline and Brand felt he needed the plan b.

it is good that Butler has been a good teammate and the Sixers front office has handled well. not sure they ever want to lock into 4 max contracts.

Still figuring out what that fool from the NY Daily News was writing about. Sixers came out today and basically laughed at it saying there wasn't an ounce of truth in it. same with Ben and all. Maybe NY is getting desperate they won't land Durant and Kyrie with their 2 open max slots and trying to stir the pot to get something to fill the seats? if Durant and/or Kyrie don't care there, Knicks did dig themselves in quite a hole already promoting those 2 going there
I'm sure you're concerned about the Sixers long term.  Embiid's health will always be a question mark.  Simmons has a gigantic hole in his game.  Harris is good but certainly not a superstar.  Butler might leave. Where's the future there?

Am I crazy or are they better than they were this time last year?
They seem to be pretty sharp, I'd like to think they learned some lessons from how things went in last year's playoffs. But you know as well as I that we can't be sure until we see how they handle the Warriors in the playoffs.

They seem to be pretty sharp, I'd like to think they learned some lessons from how things went in last year's playoffs. But you know as well as I that we can't be sure until we see how they handle the Warriors in the playoffs.
They took the Warriors to seven games last year with essentially the same key players.  What do you think has changed besides GS having HCA?

They took the Warriors to seven games last year with essentially the same key players.  What do you think has changed besides GS having HCA?
What ever changes when one team loses to another in the conference finals one season and then beats them in a subsequent season though the rosters remain roughly the same?

What ever changes when one team loses to another in the conference finals one season and then beats them in a subsequent season though the rosters remain roughly the same?
There are several reasons why a team that lost a close series wins the next time.  It's not always because one got "better"

Is every comment I make in here going to be responded with some regurgitated Warriors joke?  I forgot that's more exciting to this group than the games.
Yes. It's a small price to pay.

It is.

Also it wasn't just a Warriors joke. The point was that there's a reason Indiana and Detroit are not currently much fun to watch or engaged in exciting series. Detroit would likely be getting whupped with a healthy Blake but they'd look a lot more respectable at least. And I suspect that if Olpadipo had stayed healthy Indiana would be the home team in this series (if not the 3 seed) and would be up 2-0. Their ability to remain competitive with Boston with this roster speaks very well of the coaching IMO, so it was weird that you would disparage the coaching.

I think the Rockets may have won last year if Paul didn't get injured.  Hopefully they'll be able to field a healthy squad this go around.  They have a decent shot with Cousins out. 

Yes. It's a small price to pay.

It is.

Also it wasn't just a Warriors joke. The point was that there's a reason Indiana and Detroit are not currently much fun to watch or engaged in exciting series. Detroit would likely be getting whupped with a healthy Blake but they'd look a lot more respectable at least. And I suspect that if Olpadipo had stayed healthy Indiana would be the home team in this series (if not the 3 seed) and would be up 2-0. Their ability to remain competitive with Boston with this roster speaks very well of the coaching IMO, so it was weird that you would disparage the coaching.
I am aware of their injuries.  Is my statement not true about their current rosters as of today?  Neither team has any realistic shot of competing for a championship and teams like that aren't exciting to watch.

I am aware of their injuries.  Is my statement not true about their current rosters as of today?  Neither team has any realistic shot of competing for a championship and teams like that aren't exciting to watch.
Sure. Just seemed like a weird criticism considering the circumstances, especially without mentioning said circumstances. Also the shot at the coaching was a little weird, especially with Indiana. McMillan is a legit coach of the year candidate.

I'm sure you're concerned about the Sixers long term.  Embiid's health will always be a question mark.  Simmons has a gigantic hole in his game.  Harris is good but certainly not a superstar.  Butler might leave. Where's the future there?
Sixers will be fine, but can't really predict the future until we see what settles after this off-season. You have a team that has won 50+ games in 2 consecutive seasons with the top 2 players being 23 and 22. Simmons likely signs a 5-year contract this off-season, so we can say that they will have 2 top 15 players at the very least. Embiid's health is a question mark is a funny statement, very vanilla. The concern when he was drafted was always his foot and back. haven't had issues in years with either. the knee is little worrisome, but there is no reason to think he will be ok for the next 3-4 years. I think the question should be the longevity of his career

Sixers will be fine, but can't really predict the future until we see what settles after this off-season. You have a team that has won 50+ games in 2 consecutive seasons with the top 2 players being 23 and 22. Simmons likely signs a 5-year contract this off-season, so we can say that they will have 2 top 15 players at the very least. Embiid's health is a question mark is a funny statement, very vanilla. The concern when he was drafted was always his foot and back. haven't had issues in years with either. the knee is little worrisome, but there is no reason to think he will be ok for the next 3-4 years. I think the question should be the longevity of his career
embiid is 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread