What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread: Toronto Raptors win NBA title #1.33 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
CFL is popular mainly with people who don't follow NFL/NBA/MLB.  Of course there's lots of exceptions, but there's a large percentage of the population who are all about hockey and cfl.  A lot of the younger generation is starting to get into NFL/NBA which is nice to see.  Overall NFL is still more popular and more discussed than the CFL in Canada among my friends anyways.  But going on our Sports Centers order of highlights, CFL usually gets priority over baseball and nfl unless its the jays.  Season doesn't really overlap with the NBA much at all.
:no:

TSN has the rights for the CFL and they don't for MLB/NHL so they push it but I don't know anyone who cares about the Argos. Different story for the Western CFL teams obviously, they are a big deal in their cities. 

The Raps haven't been around 44 years. 

And I do think other fan bases would have reacted differently for sure.  I think a big part of it is that there are so many 'fans' here that are new to the game.  Not experienced.  Have no idea what to do in certain situations.  They'll learn eventually but right now they're coming across as idiots.  The whole country is so obsessed with this "Go Canada!  Canada!  OMG Canada!  Toronto is in Canada!" thing right now that they're blinded to most everything else.
Is there a fan guide book so we can educate people on the right way to enjoy an entertainment event? LOL

No idea what to do in certain situations.  That’s gold.

The Raps haven't been around 44 years. 

And I do think other fan bases would have reacted differently for sure.  I think a big part of it is that there are so many 'fans' here that are new to the game.  Not experienced.  Have no idea what to do in certain situations.  They'll learn eventually but right now they're coming across as idiots.  The whole country is so obsessed with this "Go Canada!  Canada!  OMG Canada!  Toronto is in Canada!" thing right now that they're blinded to most everything else.
Is there a fan guide book so we can educate people on the right way to enjoy an entertainment event? LOL

I still think the in arena fans figured out what was going on pretty quickly and adjusted accordingly.

I already called out Daemon's gatekeeping earlier in the thread, leave the superiority complex at the door buddy. 

:no:

TSN has the rights for the CFL and they don't for MLB/NHL so they push it but I don't know anyone who cares about the Argos. Different story for the Western CFL teams obviously, they are a big deal in their cities. 
Ya well Toronto has the other teams, so it's a bit different than every other CFL city.

Yes.

1. When a player goes down and tears an Achilles you don't cheer and wave goodbye.

Heck, even Raptors players were frustrated with the fans' reactions.

Right, the point is you can't count an Argos title as a major win for the city of Toronto. Might as well include the Toronto Rock or the Marlies wins at that point. 
I definitely didn't count that title.  I hate the CFL haha.  I was only commenting on its popularity in the country as a whole.

TobiasFunke said:
Well, ####.   I could have sworn I heard that repeatedly last night.  Must have been 24 years :bag: I blame weed.

Anyway, doesn't really change things. Toronto sports fans have packed a ton of misery into the last quarter-century and were closing in on putting it all behind them. I'm pretty sure they'd have reacted differently if that wasn't the case.
ehh lot's of fan bases can complain about extended periods of misery, but don't have to act like a-holes to non-rival team. You are a Wizards fan right, you guys have 10 times the amount of warranted misery than the Raptors fans

Bull Dozier said:
On the one hand, yes, every fan base to some extent would have responded the same way.  On the other hand, it still deserves scorn.  Anytime people act like idiots, they should be called out.
Yep. Just because everyone would have done it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be ripped. It's a classless dooshy thing to do.

still can't believe they called the moving screen on Cousins with 15 seconds left in the game. Sure it was a moving screen, but they don't even make those calls in the regular season. Watching the other series in the playoffs there were moving screens throughout the games that were never called, just seemed crazy to make that call at such an important time of the game. I would imagine had the Warriors lost by 1 or 2 this would be talked about a lot more

still can't believe they called the moving screen on Cousins with 15 seconds left in the game. Sure it was a moving screen, but they don't even make those calls in the regular season. Watching the other series in the playoffs there were moving screens throughout the games that were never called, just seemed crazy to make that call at such an important time of the game. I would imagine had the Warriors lost by 1 or 2 this would be talked about a lot more
Major contact like that on a moving screen has to be called, in my opinion, regardless of the game situation.  It was also right in front of the ref.  That one was particularly egregious.

dickey moe said:
So damn sad for KD. Those who are smarter than me, how do you see next season going down for him, assuming he misses all of the regular season if not the entire post-season? Who ends up paying him?
Knicks take RJ, max KD, and then suck again next year for another top 3 pick in 2020 (followed up by two 2021 1sts).  What they do about the 2nd max they can offer, I'm not sure.  Seems like it's worth a shot from KD's perspective to me.

Out 12 months if it's torn, damn.  He almost HAS to take his option in GS next year right???  I'm anxiously awaiting his NBA finals 2020 game 4 return. 

Knicks take RJ, max KD, and then suck again next year for another top 3 pick in 2020 (followed up by two 2021 1sts).  What they do about the 2nd max they can offer, I'm not sure.  Seems like it's worth a shot from KD's perspective to me.
Wouldn't be a bad option actually.  This would be a very Philly thing to do.

Out 12 months if it's torn, damn.  He almost HAS to take his option in GS next year right???  I'm anxiously awaiting his NBA finals 2020 game 4 return. 
Rudy Gay tore his in January and was ready to start the season 9 months later, and played reasonably well. He also declined a player option to choose his next destination. Granted, there are a lot more reasons to leave the Kings than the Warriors, but I don’t really expect this to change his free agency calculus that much. If he’s joining AD and another star in NY, for example, he could realistically anticipate being back and relatively healthy for their presumptive playoff run. 

Rudy Gay tore his in January and was ready to start the season 9 months later, and played reasonably well. He also declined a player option to choose his next destination. Granted, there are a lot more reasons to leave the Kings than the Warriors, but I don’t really expect this to change his free agency calculus that much. If he’s joining AD and another star in NY, for example, he could realistically anticipate being back and relatively healthy for their presumptive playoff run. 
Maybe depends on the severity of it and the player, not sure.  I think KD takes his time this time though and is 10 months away.  So ya, realistically back for the start of playoffs.

If that's the case Gasol would play about 3 minutes before fouling out.  He's more hands on than Joe Biden.
Moving screens are a part of the NBA really.  The refs mostly let them go, given one condition... the guy keeps his arms straight at his side and stays standing straight up.  

Cousins both put his elbow out and lowered his shoulder on that screen.  Now, FVV definitely sold it by hitting the ground as if he'd been run over by a Mack truck, but if you lower your shoulder and extend your elbow, you're taking a chance on that foul getting called....  Do it directly in front of a ref and it's always getting called.

If that's the case Gasol would play about 3 minutes before fouling out.  He's more hands on than Joe Biden.
And Draymond.  It is my #1 pet peeve in the NBA.  They let way too many illegal screens and off ball defensive fouls.  Freedom of movement is restricted both ways.  Curry has started resorting to simply pushing off on his defenders to get loose and defenders are often grabbing and holding cutters to keep from getting left behind off of an illegal screen.  The whole game is mucked up.

top dog said:
Is everyone really so shocked that the fans cheered when he went down? I find it hard to believe that wouldn't have been a common reaction in just about any place in that moment.  If you believe YOUR fan base would somehow be above this.. Come on... There are always going to be ####bags at sporting events.
i've never seen it from us in my 73 years as a Toronto basketball fan.

Durant was pushed to play by Durant, because what he wants is love and respect.  He couldn't handle the criticism and it has now cost him, but that is still on him.  Kawhi wouldn't play when he wasn't right (even in the playoffs) and was turned away by the criticism.

And as for the fans cheering.  No one diagnosed it as an achilles tear in the first 20 seconds after it happened.  There was also a play at the other end that ended in a foul for the fans to cheer.  If you didn't have a good angle, all you could see in the arena was Durant lose the ball and go to the ground.  There were likely many people not cheering for an injury, but for the Warriors struggling, which isn't exactly the same thing.  Were some of the fans aware of what was happening and cheering anyway?  Sure, but I'm certain a bunch of those cheering had no real clue what was going on.  And it isn't a "classless" thing, it is an ignorance thing.  They just didn't know and were caught up in the moment.  Would have happened at every single arena in the league.

Durant was pushed to play by Durant, because what he wants is love and respect.  He couldn't handle the criticism and it has now cost him, but that is still on him.  Kawhi wouldn't play when he wasn't right (even in the playoffs) and was turned away by the criticism.

And as for the fans cheering.  No one diagnosed it as an achilles tear in the first 20 seconds after it happened.  There was also a play at the other end that ended in a foul for the fans to cheer.  If you didn't have a good angle, all you could see in the arena was Durant lose the ball and go to the ground.  There were likely many people not cheering for an injury, but for the Warriors struggling, which isn't exactly the same thing.  Were some of the fans aware of what was happening and cheering anyway?  Sure, but I'm certain a bunch of those cheering had no real clue what was going on.  And it isn't a "classless" thing, it is an ignorance thing.  They just didn't know and were caught up in the moment.  Would have happened at every single arena in the league.
:goodposting:

It also seemed like a pretty big play. Just one minute earlier the Warriors hit a 3 to go up 39-30 and seemed poised to pull away, they had clearly been the better team all game to that point. The foul after the injury/turnover sent Ibaka to the line with a chance to make it a one-possession game.

jvdesigns2002 said:
Did I do something to offend you?  Seriously--what is your deal?  You are acting like a total doosh for no reason. Either ignore me or drop it.    I didn't send a mass text. I mentioned that a couple buddies of mine were group texting and myself and one of the buddies thought that the Warriors were insane to let him play and I specifically in one of the texts said that KD's body could over compensate and there was a likelihood that he could tear an Achilles.   I offered to show you the texts because you somehow don't believe me--and you declined. Move on.  
All of us over in the 10K thread would nod our heads in agreement over this possibility.  I believe I saw something from the GM, Myers, expressing a lack of knowledge of the connection of the calf to the Achilles.  It sounds like they all talked themselves into thinking it'd be OK ...a ginormous roll of the dice, and regarding Durant, they lost.  Yet they won the game, and they might pull out the series and the championship.  Crazy. 

:lmao:  or it could be he's a competitor who wants to win championships.  I know that's a foreign concept to you.

A guy who can't handle criticism on a message board commenting on how a professional athlete handles criticism is pure gold 

Durant was pushed to play by Durant, because what he wants is love and respect.  He couldn't handle the criticism and it has now cost him, but that is still on him. 

And it isn't a "classless" thing, it is an ignorance thing.  They just didn't know and were caught up in the moment.  Would have happened at every single arena in the league.
1.   So now you know what motivated him to come back?  This is EXACTLY the kinda of BS that Steph and Bob were talking about... how everyone seems to want to write the guy's story, the guy's narrative, and tell everyone what he's thinking.  Why can't it be the more likely scenario that he loves to play, to compete, loves his teammates, and wanted so badly to be on the floor with them?  That's what all the people who ACTUALLY know KD are saying.  

2.  Disagree here.  Yes it probably would have happened elsewhere, but these fans are especially uneducated/inexperienced/etc.  All of Jurrasic park was cheering non stop and waving goodbye at him as he was carried off the court.  I must say, I hate the "oh everyone else does it so it's okay" narrative.  If more fans/media/players got angry at these "ignorant" (as you call it) things, then it would happen less around the league(s).  And that would be a good thing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9-Ui27ZI0k

Oh, a professional athlete who kept playing regular season games despite knowing his Achilles was bound to rupture.  Obviously he played because he was soft and couldn't handle criticism, not because he loves his teammates and wanted to help them win.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy I tell you, quite the plot twist going into free agency this summer.  

1. NOLA wins the Zion lottery, impacting potential AD trade partners
  2. KD injures achilles, while perhaps not impacting his decision certainly could potentially impact second max level free agents
  3. Kawhi wins NBA championship on team he was widely expected to abandon after one year
Everything the talking heads on sports radio and podcasts speculated throughout the year now could completely change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread