What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just Laid Off, Beginning First Ever Job Hunt and Looking for Advice (1 Viewer)

Punxsutawney Phil said:
Just a heads up, almost every employer will have you create an account to put your resume online.  You will likely do this to jobs you feel you fit perfectly, and hear nothing back.  Huge waste of time and discouraging.
QFT :yes:  

I got a small number of callbacks from Indeed, Zip Recruiter, and sites like that. Maybe one-in-twenty hit rate. For exploratory callbacks, not interviews.

I got no response at all after going directly to a company's site, creating an account, and filling out the online resume form. Did that maybe 25-30 times or so ... not one nibble.

I just went through something similar. I'm fellow engineer with kids of the same age (and I think our first kids were born around the same time if my notebook holds).  

I got 'job eliminated' in mid-Dec with last official day in mid-January.  My old company set me up with an executive coach which didn't help me find my current job, but was a good resource and sounding board.  Some of his advice is reflected below. 

Get ready for a mind####.  I had some days where I felt I had numerous opportunities popping and other days where friends didn't return texts.  Some days I thought I could form my own successful company and other days where I didn't think McDonalds would take me.  Also, I had a group of people that I interacted with everyday for years and then I didn't hear from them at all.  Put your sales hat on and focus on the process and activity, not the result.

Speaking of mind####, it's tough to not think of yourself as damaged goods and revisit your old employer's decision.  It's only natural to be frustrated.  Vent with your wife or closest friends.  I found that old coworkers, friends didn't really care how I got to be unemployed, so don't dwell on it.  Come up with a simple line about why you are now on the market (eg. previous employer restructured) and leave it at that. I didn't encounter anyone that was looking for warts. 

Most people get new jobs through the network and not through headhunters or Linkedin.  My exec coach suggested that by the time a job is posted on Linkedin, they've already picked over internal candidates and referrals, so be cautious about what types of opportunities show up there.

Networking is a vague term and I always associated it with awkward conference rooms with complete strangers all nervously trying to vie for attention at a job fair.  For my experience, I had coffee or lunch set up with old co-workers each week.  (This led to my current job).  I also did attend industry talks and met a couple of people that way.

My exec coach helped polish my resume to contemporary style and coached up including specific results (e.g. this led to cost savings of $80,000).  He also had my create a one-pager, but I never used this. 

I did entertain looking at other industries for opportunities, but I sensed that the pay was going to be less and also sensed that the grass wasn't greener necessarily. 

After all of that, find time for you and your interests.  We both have a similar number of years until we're empty nesters and it's good to explore what kind of hobbies, interests that you've ignored while raising kids. 

Good luck! As you can see, lots of people have gone through this and come out better.  Job restructuring is not a reflection on you.   

PM me if you want any specifics on exec coach. 

Get ready for a mind####.  I had some days where I felt I had numerous opportunities popping and other days where friends didn't return texts.  Some days I thought I could form my own successful company and other days where I didn't think McDonalds would take me.  Also, I had a group of people that I interacted with everyday for years and then I didn't hear from them at all.  Put your sales hat on and focus on the process and activity, not the result.

Speaking of mind####, it's tough to not think of yourself as damaged goods and revisit your old employer's decision.  It's only natural to be frustrated.  Vent with your wife or closest friends.  I found that old coworkers, friends didn't really care how I got to be unemployed, so don't dwell on it.  Come up with a simple line about why you are now on the market (eg. previous employer restructured) and leave it at that. I didn't encounter anyone that was looking for warts. 

Most people get new jobs through the network and not through headhunters or Linkedin.  My exec coach suggested that by the time a job is posted on Linkedin, they've already picked over internal candidates and referrals, so be cautious about what types of opportunities show up there.

Networking is a vague term and I always associated it with awkward conference rooms with complete strangers all nervously trying to vie for attention at a job fair.  For my experience, I had coffee or lunch set up with old co-workers each week.  (This led to my current job).  I also did attend industry talks and met a couple of people that way.
Not enough likes for these points you've made.

The part in blue especially resonates. Not a dig against Linked In ... but against the online job search stuff in general. Am I crazy to think that 99% of what you see on online job search sites is primarily resume collection? I mean, how bad can an employer NEED someone if, behind the scenes, they are fine taking several MONTHS to find someone?

Just seems like today, even though most employers build up a wall of online sites and click-this-link blocks ... the job search always works out better if you can get  behind the curtain (with inside info or some kind of tip-off!) and deal with real people.

And while I agree with everyone above saying networking is the best way to find a job, don't discount the job boards.  My last two jobs came via the job boards.  

And while I agree with everyone above saying networking is the best way to find a job, don't discount the job boards.  My last two jobs came via the job boards.  
No doubt, job boards aren't a 100% waste of time. The trick is that it can be very tempting to 'outsource' your entire job search to the Internet -- job boards, Linked In messages, e-mails, etc. Of course, all that has to be part of the toolkit. But riffing on Brony's points ... the 'human' side of the job search shouldn't be neglected -- the phone calls, the coffees/lunches, the industry seminars, etc.

No doubt, job boards aren't a 100% waste of time. The trick is that it can be very tempting to 'outsource' your entire job search to the Internet -- job boards, Linked In messages, e-mails, etc. Of course, all that has to be part of the toolkit. But riffing on Brony's points ... the 'human' side of the job search shouldn't be neglected -- the phone calls, the coffees/lunches, the industry seminars, etc.
Yup.  Again, in my first post I mentioned the importance of networking.  I just wanted to make sure that we all weren't sounding like job boards were no good.  That was my only point, GB.

I work in HR for a quality and compliance (and engineering) consulting firm.  There is a lot of good advice on here - outside of the typical recommendations, I would say that you should look into consulting/professional services.  I am sure there are consulting firms in your area, and I have found that engineers that have that outgoing personality tend to like the change of going from client to client, versus sitting in the same role for a long period of time.  I will mention that they often require travel, so that is something you should begin discussing with your family (i.e. is that an option, how much, etc.).

Best of luck to you!

I always had the best luck finding a directory of companies that are in my field, and then just going from company website to company website checking the careers page. The hardest part is just knowing what companies exist out there.

Yup.  Again, in my first post I mentioned the importance of networking.  I just wanted to make sure that we all weren't sounding like job boards were no good.  That was my only point, GB.
All good.

I can't speak for you or for others' recent job search experiences. I know that myself ... I had gotten into a brief rut where I was doing nothing but checking stuff out online day after day, and feeling like I was doing "enough" and wondering why there weren't more leads. Job searchers have to be mindful of not turning those brief ruts into "holey moley -- two months have gone by and I haven't spoken to a real-life person!"

I think that's part and parcel of the "mind freak" that Brony was talking about above.

All good.

I can't speak for you or for others' recent job search experiences. I know that myself ... I had gotten into a brief rut where I was doing nothing but checking stuff out online day after day, and feeling like I was doing "enough" and wondering why there weren't more leads. Job searchers have to be mindful of not turning those brief ruts into "holey moley -- two months have gone by and I haven't spoken to a real-life person!"

I think that's part and parcel of the "mind freak" that Brony was talking about above.
Yep. You're both right.  Your personal network is more likely to lead to opportunities, but there's no harm in trying job boards, LinkedIn since you have time on your hands (except the emails I got from Illinois Unemplyment office - Joliet prison is hiring!).  One piece of advice - if you do come across a job of interest on website, etc - only submit online application as a last resort.  Instead, use LinkedIn, network or any other means to talk to someone live and hand deliver your resume to hiring manager. 

I don’t see any reason to start a new thread, but today I was one of the lucky ones. 60 people were let go in our IT department today. Management is claiming this is a one and done and we are good with the budget through at least 2020. I guess time will tell.

I got laid off two weeks ago (last day at the winery will be 11.27) and have found networking to be the best option so far. Have one interview lined up for Thursday, and waiting on confirmation for another on Friday or Monday next. Both of these positions were “word of mouth” and not listed on the industry job boards, Glassdoor, Indeed, etc. Haven't interviewed in 10+ years, so this should be interesting. 

I got laid off two weeks ago (last day at the winery will be 11.27) and have found networking to be the best option so far. Have one interview lined up for Thursday, and waiting on confirmation for another on Friday or Monday next. Both of these positions were “word of mouth” and not listed on the industry job boards, Glassdoor, Indeed, etc. Haven't interviewed in 10+ years, so this should be interesting. 
For some reason I assumed you owned the winery and didn't just work there.  Good luck.

For some reason I assumed you owned the winery and didn't just work there.  Good luck.
Thanks. It’s a small place (4 full timers including me) and having been there for 9+ years I do feel a sense of “ownership” in terms of watching things grow and flourish over time. The wine biz is pretty transitory: not many folks stay put for a long time. 

Good luck to all. My only comment is that Executive recruiters etc should be part of your network before you need them. Good advice here. Focus on the activity, recharge and stay positive. Don’t internalize what happened. I was laid off once when a company was readying for sell and wanted to lower higher priced headcount. Sucks at the time but you can bounce back better than ever

As someone who has been looking for 8+ months, i can relate to whomever mentioned that this is a mental roller coaster and you've got to "ride out" the low points.  

Recruiters:  I am pretty selective and will never blindly send my resume to a recruiter without either meeting them in person or having a lengthy phone call with them or they come personally recommended to me.  Make sure that you, as the candidate, have control over where your resume is sent.  Make sure the recruiter contacts you & has your permission each and every time before they send your resume to a company.  If you work with >1 recruiter, you don't want to be excluded from a job because both sent your info in & now the hiring company has blacklisted your name........or if you are still employed, you don't want your resume to be sent into your CURRENT company when they have a listing (let's just say i've heard some horror stories)

Sign up for LinkedIn, Glassdoor, and Indeed:  They are all job-search websites/apps & contain basically the same info, but they seem to have slightly different algorithyms........and this is a good thing since they may find something you may have overlooked.

LinkedIn, LinkedIn Premium, and LinkedIn Learning:
Sign up for LinkedIn Premium as it enhances your regular job search and gets you a little more info on companies than the regular free version......you get the first month for free.  (After your 30 day free trial, it's ~$30 per mth)  One of the perks of LinkedIn Premium is that you get full access to LinkedIn Learning (their additional website with >3000 video courses).  Go brush up on some old skills, or learn some new skills (I'm going to upgrade my Powerpoint skills).  Most are 1 to 3 hour video learning courses and some even provide Continuing Professional Education credits (for those that need the hours). It might just help build your resume too.

Podcasts:  Consider listening to some podcasts about Interviewing, or Work topics in general.  It's a passive way to absorb additional info or hear how others are dealing with certain work situations or how they answer certain interview questions.   If something is said that strikes a nerve, make sure you stop the podcast and take notes so you can compile them in one place.  I've found that when i've hit a low point in the process, listening to a podcast can help to keep me on track or re-emphasize to keep trying.
Some examples (haven't listened to all of them): 

•  Safe for Work
  • Career Talk
  • Dear HBR
  • Work Life w Adam Grant
  • 7 minute Job Interview
  • Job Interview Tips Podcast
Edit to add;
Contractor status:  Some companies prefer to bring in contractors so they can "test them out" or cover for an employee on maternity leave.  The contract may be for 3 mths, 6 mths, or 1 yr and can oftentimes lead to the company hiring the contractor as a full time employee.   From the contractor's viewpoint, it can also expose them to good experience too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lost a lot of people lately in my Job. Company cutting hrs. One store had almost 20 people total leave. A few took retirements and buyouts 

That sucks, GB.  I got that Right Management when I was laid off 2 years ago and I'd say take advantage of it.  Not because it's good, but use everything at your disposal.  My personal opinion was they were crap.  But when you're looking for a job, a good rule of thumb is follow every lead.

I went on the job boards every day and sent out resumes to a lot of jobs, casting a wide net.  Don't look for the perfect job.  Apply to a lot.  You might not recognize the perfect job until you've worked there.

Also, network.  Now is the time to cash in favors and bug friends and family to see if anyone knows anyone who is hiring.  Good luck, GB.  I know it sucks.  Keep your head up.
Sound advice here Sheik. My buddy got out of college in the Sports management program. Spoiled guy at home thought things would come naturally. Wasn't the greatest of students and not a personable guy (More so wasn't the type who made friends easy or outgoing enough) for said degree. SO he failed to network. Had a job working for an indenpent baseball team his boss was willing to help him advance his career. Worst move on my buddies part is he never took him up on his offer. He now works for Go Wireless an outlet Verizion company not associated with the main one. Knew a buddy on a Baseball forum networked and ended up getting a job with the Phillies working for them in Clearwater. 

Point is definitely network and also bug people about cashing in those favors. I'm in a different line of work but in my industry it's also about knowing the right people and getting your name out there. I'm part time right now but eventually someone will need full time position filled maybe I left a great impression and I'll be asked about applying and maybe getting it. 

**update** (read only if you're bored...more of a mental health cleaning exercise)

Opportunity #1 - had a sit-down interview 11.14 with the new COO and another high-level manager (both women...guessing mid-50s?) chatted for about an hour and came out feeling pretty good. first interview since 2005. said they would be getting back to me. heard back vi email about 10 days later and they decided my skill set was better suited for another aspect of the winery (for which they aren't hiring) and would keep me in mind. postmortem: looking back, i absolutely bombed that interview. answers were way too vague and didn't read the job description closely enough. my bad, lesson learned.

Opportunity #2 - had a sit down interview on 11.15 with the GM of this winery in Sonoma. small place, well-funded, elite clientele. sat with the guy for about an hour, and ended up answering a 20 question "personality test" (best i could describe it). it was kinda awkward and i'm not sure i did well on it (was not expecting something like this either). felt i had a good rapport with the guy and learned more specifics about the job than was given in the original description. on the way out i was given a 10 question written exam on various wine-related topics (i know i aced this) and thanked him for the time. was told i'd hear back from him, and as of yet no reply. postmortem: i eventually reached out to him a month later to see if they'd made any progress with a hiring decision, and that was likely way, way too long of a time, even though he said during the interview the position and project they were hiring for wouldn't be completed until spring of 2020. holding out a tiny bit of hope still, but i think this one is DOA.

Opportunity #3 - had a phone screen with a lagre(ish) winery brand recruiter-type for a tasting room manager position on 11.20. a former wine club member friend i'd known for years turned me on to it, and during a tasting had spilled the beans about the inner-workings of the location and the issues they'd been having. i had done a bunch of research on this winery in advance, and taking the inside info i asked a bunch of questions during the phone screen they guy on the other end wouldn't likely know the answers to...really in-the-weeds winery location specific stuff. he immediately set up an in-person interview with the winery GM for the Friday of the same week. met with the GM for about an hour and he said that upon reading my resume he didn't think i was the right person, but the time speaking in the interview had changed his mind. said he'd be back to me as they were looking to fill the position asap. he calls me Saturday - the next day - to set up a 2nd interview with his tasting room lead and wine club manager for the following Monday. spent about 45 minutes with the two ladies and got a real good vibe from one, and a less than good vibe with the other. overall, thought things went well. FWD to 12.3 and i get an email saying i was a Finalist (one of three) for the job. phone call on 12.5 from the recruiter guy and i was not chosen, but they'd keep my resume on file. postmortem: on the positive side, i've had three sit-down interviews with three well-regarded companies, in the span of about a month. in my head, i'm telling myself that's a pretty good hit rate. on the negative side, i'm 0-3 and now fully unemployed waiting for UI to kick in. December/January are notoriously slow times for the wine industry, so getting the type of job i'm looking for will be challenging. as for Opportunity #3, i wasn't too disappointed about missing out: it was on your feet 9 hours a day, working every weekend (no exceptions), and handling a staff of 15+ seeing 300-500 guests a day. good experience to be sure, but i'm not sure if i would have lasted more than a year there. [note: this was the only winery to this point to talk specifically about a compensation package]

Opportunity #4 - put in a blind application to another Sonoma-based winery, which has larger holdings globally. per the job description, i check every. single. box. and it's more admin-related work, as opposed to front-facing customer services. had a phone screen with the Brand Mgr. on 12.9 and really hit it off. she was from Fresno originally, and had been in the wine industry about the same amount of time i had been. during the call, she specifically said she's got a team of women at the moment, and wanted to "hire a man" to get more balance. set up an in-person interview on 12.11 with the Brand Mgr and her team lead. team lead lives in my neighborhood two blocks over (though i had never met her previously) and we all know the same people. spoke for a little over an hour and had good chemistry (laughing, joking, etc.). as the interview is ending, the Brand Mgr. says, "So, what are your salary requirements (e.g. hourly rate)?" i was not at all prepared for this question, and maybe should have been, and blurted out a number that drew absolutely zero reaction from either of them. blank faces. the Brand Mgr gets up and says she's going to see if there's another team member who may have other questions for me, and i'm now alone with the team lead. i ask, "Was that hourly rate out of bounds? I kinda got that vibe," and she says, "Yes, that's a bit more than what the position pays." ####. so we say our goodbyes and they say they are looking to make a decision "very soon" and will get back to me. the team lead walks me out and i make another overture to her to let her know my number is "negotiable" and she says she'll be sure to let the Brand Mgr know. in my "thank you" email i also reference this again. FWD to 12.18 and no word, so i reach out to the Brand Mgr and see how things are progressing (learning from Op #2!) and no reply. get an email back on 12.20 saying that they feel my skills are better utilized for a "more challenging role" and passed my info along to the Retail Ops mgr. postmortem: i had put a lot/all of my eggs in this basket, and was absolutely crushed not to get the job. the next few days were some of the lowest [mentally] i had faced since being told i was getting laid off...anger, depression, self-doubt, frustration, all came to the surface. took a little while to get past, with a lot of support from family/friends, and now i'm getting back to it with another more experience to draw from.

Opportunity #5 - scouring the job boards, put in a blind application on 12.9. no reply at all. [note: saw the same listing come up again yesterday 1.7. it's obvious they haven't been able to fill the position, and i'm debating just applying again through their website portal for the hell of it. i don't have an "in" at this place, and don't have the exact experience they've detailed in the description. still...]

Opportunity #6 - again from the job boards, put in a blind application on 12.16 to a huge winery brand through their website portal. got a nice automated response letting me know they received it, what to expect in terms of timeline and potential contact, etc. postmortem: no reply since then, listing has been pulled from the job board and website careers page. oh, well.

Opportunity #7 - saw a listing pop up on a job board for a popular Sonoma winery on 12.21. one of my good friends, and the woman who hired me initially back in 2009 and gave me a break in the industry, is the GM of this outfit. texted her that evening and asked, jokingly, " Hey, who's the hiring manager for this gig?" she got back to me and said, "We're gonna post three different positions in the next week, you would probably be interested in xxxxxxxx." Reading between the lines, I make sure to send a cover letter/resume when that listing comes up (12.26). i let my friend know about it, and she says, "Good, the hiring team is expecting it." got an email reply the next day from one of the Brand Mgrs, and set up a sit-down on 1.3. met with two of the three Brand Mgrs for about an hour. felt pretty good walking out the door that my skills matched what they were looking for, and mentioned that in my "thank you" note. the reply was quick and mentioned they will "...contact you about next steps...". so, i'm waiting to hear back on this one. with the exception of Op#4, this has the most potential right now.

Opportunity #8 - had a winemaker buddy contact me and says his winery is "cleaning house" on the hospitality side, and i should reach out to his GM (gives me his email addy). sent out a quick intro email on 1.3, and attached resume. he gets back to me the same day and schedules an in-person interview for this Friday (1.10)

Got a letter from the CA EDD office, and i've got a mandatory meeting with them tomorrow at 9:00. gave me "homework" to fill out and bring with me. to continue to receive UI benefits, i have to attend. kinda curious as to what they're going to tell me, or suggest, to find gainful (full time, non-entry level) employment.

current standings:

0-8 in applications sent vs jobs offered (with two outstanding)

blind applications sent = 1/3 (one interview, two no responses)
industry "connections" = 5/5 lead to in-person interviews

@Quint

Why don't you reach out to your friend for opportunity #7? That seems like your best bet.
thanks, i have been. i met with her back in November when this whole thing started, and she's the one who put me in contact with #1 and #2. she's aware of my salary band and type of industry work i'm looking for. since she's the GM, my guess is that she'll have some say if they get down to just a few candidates and i'm among them.

after what happened w/ #4 and how high my expectations were, i'm being more conservative now. i like my chances, but am gonna keep grinding.

thanks, i have been. i met with her back in November when this whole thing started, and she's the one who put me in contact with #1 and #2. she's aware of my salary band and type of industry work i'm looking for. since she's the GM, my guess is that she'll have some say if they get down to just a few candidates and i'm among them.

after what happened w/ #4 and how high my expectations were, i'm being more conservative now. i like my chances, but am gonna keep grinding.
I had #4 happen to me twice the last time.  One, I was 100% I had the job.  Had me back a couple of times, we laughed and joked.  They made it sound like no one else was even being considered.  Then the silence came.  And I would send an email to check up and they'd say, "We're just trying to get some things in order" or "The hiring manager is actually out this week."  But they kept telling me not to read anything into it.  And I didn't.  Then about a month later, I sent an email asking for status and they sent me back a short email saying they had gone a different direction and hired someone else.  I was obliterated.  It was like my world came crashing down.  Devastating.  So I feel ya, GB.

I'm saying now. See how the interview went.

I'm saying now. See how the interview went.
we did text briefly after, and she said everything was positive.

it's kind of a delicate situation in that we're friends outside of the industry, with an unspoken "If this doesn't work out, let's make sure we don't damage a friendship" vibe. she's also been a mentor of sorts throughout the years, and given me good advice as to handle various work-related situations.

related news: in the last 30 minutes i got an email from the third Brand Mgr. and he wants to meet Friday or Saturday....so i'll get that locked down today and look forward another interview.

**update** (read only if you're bored...more of a mental health cleaning exercise)
Right there with you, gb. A job search after being off the market for a long time is NOT a confidence-boosting experience. 

You're very good at what you do. You'll land somewhere. If you need customer references, I'm happy to heap effusive praise on you. 

How has nobody applied the dating app formula to this process? We should all be swiping for jobs... of all sorts. 

Right there with you, gb. A job search after being off the market for a long time is NOT a confidence-boosting experience. 

You're very good at what you do. You'll land somewhere. If you need customer references, I'm happy to heap effusive praise on you. 

How has nobody applied the dating app formula to this process? We should all be swiping for jobs... of all sorts. 
Monster is like that.

I think I know which company you are talking about.  There should be plenty of other Chem companies willing to scoop you up with your experience.  In Louisiana, you would be unemployed for about 10 minutes.

Quint said:
we did text briefly after, and she said everything was positive.

it's kind of a delicate situation in that we're friends outside of the industry, with an unspoken "If this doesn't work out, let's make sure we don't damage a friendship" vibe. she's also been a mentor of sorts throughout the years, and given me good advice as to handle various work-related situations.

related news: in the last 30 minutes i got an email from the third Brand Mgr. and he wants to meet Friday or Saturday....so i'll get that locked down today and look forward another interview.
My advice, and maybe somewhat obvious, is don't take anything for granted and treat the opportunity as professional as possible.  I.e. don't let your friendship allow you to get overly comfy with the process.

My advice, and maybe somewhat obvious, is don't take anything for granted and treat the opportunity as professional as possible.  I.e. don't let your friendship allow you to get overly comfy with the process.
exactly. that's why i'm not constantly in contact with her over every interaction with the other Brand Mgrs., or come off as cocky like this is "in the bag."

just trying to treat it like any other opportunity and not get comfortable.

Horrible advice and a colossal waste of time. 
I've been hit up on Linked In by someone regarding a role we're filling on my team. We were getting poor applicants via online listings. I relayed the individual's details to my director, and they might be getting hired. 

Users who are viewing this thread