What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2022 Jacksonville Jaguars thread - Drunken Sailors at Mayport Shocked at Jags Spending *** (2 Viewers)

JaxBill

Footballguy
Time to start a new thread to remove the stank of last year.

Bortles out, Foles in.

Jeremy Parnell, Tashaun Gipson, Malik Jackson released

OT and TE major needs.

Fournette is still an underperforming knucklehead.

Paging @Mr. Brownstone and @cdwood

Last edited by a moderator:
Stop me if you heard this one before-

Jaguars have the minimum one prime time game and it's a Thursday night against the Titans. Surprisingly it's week 3 when people might still watch.

(Barring playoffs)

@jpshadrick: Raiders last home game ever in Coliseum will be against the #jaguars in Week 15. Wow.

(Barring playoffs)

@jpshadrick: Raiders last home game ever in Coliseum will be against the #jaguars in Week 15. Wow.
I feel like the Raiders have played their “last home game ever in the Coliseum” before.  Maybe more than once?

Who knows, maybe they come back in a decade or two (again).

Not a jags fan and have no dog in the race.....but just wanted to comment that I am not sure Foles is the savior for this team at QB.....he played fairly well on a really good team the last couple years and had some nice moments......but I have a feeling this could be more like Keenum going to Denver 2.0. He should be fairly good, but I hope the expectations aren’t super high in JAC.

Time to start a new thread to remove the stank of last year.

Bortles out, Foles in.

Jeremy Parnell, Tashaun Gipson, Malik Jackson released

OT and TE major needs.

Fournette is still an underperforming knucklehead.

Paging @Mr. Brownstone and @cdwood
I realize they had to upgrade at QB, but I wasn’t happy to learn that Gipson and Jackson had to be released to get Foles under the cap.  I was also expecting the Jaguars to only be paying Foles $19M/year since they seemed to be the only ones bidding for his services.

Not a jags fan and have no dog in the race.....but just wanted to comment that I am not sure Foles is the savior for this team at QB.....he played fairly well on a really good team the last couple years and had some nice moments......but I have a feeling this could be more like Keenum going to Denver 2.0. He should be fairly good, but I hope the expectations aren’t super high in JAC.
I don’t think Foles has to be the saviour.  The Jaguars still have a championship calibre defence, so what they really need is competent play from their QB who won’t lose the game, fewer injuries along the offensive line, and a return to an effective run game.

I'm good with it.  Really wanted T.J., but knew if one of the defensive studs--specifically an edge rusher--fell to 7, Jags would pounce

Many experts mocked Juwan Taylor to Jags at #7. Guess that would have been a reach...at this rate they can grab him at 2.07

Whoa.

Hope he is okay for his life after football

@AdamSchefter: Jaguars’ LB Telvin Smith announced he will not play football in 2019. https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1126567405617123329/photo/1
Doesn't sound like a guy who is done with football, just a guy who doesn't want to do it right now.

Could be a blessing in disguise for the Jags. He played pretty poorly last year, and maybe that can be explained by his heart not really being in it. Better to have a lesser talent who wants to be there.

ETA: That Jake Ryan signing looks really good right now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Jags will rue the day they released Cody Kessler.  Rue it I say.
The first time will be when Cody Kessler leads the Eagles to a Preseason Week 2 win against Nick Foles and the Jaguars.

Releasing Kessler surprises me a little; I would have thought they'd keep him around to give Gardner Minshew some competition to be the backup rather than handing the job to Minshew.

I'm excited to hear how Chark is doing in camp. Foles is the best QB he's had the opportunity to play with in his career. I like some of the flashes i saw, even though admittedly there weren't a lot, last year. I bet he's the Jags #1 by the end of the season. Hope him and Foles get a good connection going. 

Jaguars have the minimum one prime time game and it's a Thursday night against the Titans. Surprisingly it's week 3 when people might still watch.
I'd put Indy as the favorite but I think the AFC South is pretty wide open and either of those teams have a legit chance to win that division - especially if Foles is legit.

@phillip_heilman: #Jaguars have officially placed DE Yannick Ngakoue on the Reserve/Did Not Report list and LB Telvin Smith on the Reserve/Retired list.

Nothing to worry about.

A different offensive philosophy with new OC?

(From Phillip Heilmann in The Athletic)

Going through his first Jaguars training camp, receiver Chris Conley has already gotten used to hearing a certain message from position coach Keenan McCardell.

It’s repeated almost daily and sounds something like this: Be ready for the deep ball. At all times.

“Everything starts off of the ‘go’ ball,” Conley said. “Every route is supposed to look like a ‘go.’ … He really wants that to be our trademark — the fact that we can make plays downfield. We don’t have clear-out routes. We don’t want guys running just to run. We want them to be threats, and we want to use those threats often.”

Such was the case during Tuesday’s joint practice with the Ravens when Conley lined up on the left side of the formation. Quarterback Nick Foles faked a handoff to running back Leonard Fournette and unleashed a deep ball down the sideline. Conley got a step on Ravens cornerback Jimmy Smith and hauled in a touchdown of about 65 yards, the most exciting play for the Jaguars offense in either day of work against Baltimore’s defense.

Surely, McCardell was pleased with what he saw.

“We have DJ Chark, Dede Westbrook, Keelan Cole, Marqise Lee — a lot of guys that can run and take the top off (a defense), guys that can make plays downfield,” Conley said. “That’s what we’re going to live by. We’re going to live by the fact that we’re going to be attacking all the time.”

The Jaguars did little downfield attacking last season, the product of an offensive line that couldn’t protect long enough for those routes to develop and a quarterback in Blake Bortles who struggled to throw them.

Jags fans, based on what you saw out of these young receives last year, and assuming Lee is 100% healthy and back to form, is he still relevant in the WR1 conversation for the Jags? i didn't watch a single Jags game last year so completely out of the loop on these guys.

Pigskin Fanatic said:
Jags fans, based on what you saw out of these young receives last year, and assuming Lee is 100% healthy and back to form, is he still relevant in the WR1 conversation for the Jags? i didn't watch a single Jags game last year so completely out of the loop on these guys.
I refuse to make the assumption that Lee will be 100% healthy.

Jags will throw the ball more than you think but their WR are week to week streamers or BB candidates

I refuse to make the assumption that Lee will be 100% healthy.

Jags will throw the ball more than you think but their WR are week to week streamers or BB candidates
@BigCatCountry: #Jaguars not optimistic Robinson, Lee will be ready for start of season https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2019/8/10/20800129/jaguars-not-optimistic-cam-robinson-marqise-lee-will-be-ready-for-start-of-season?utm_campaign=bigcatcountry&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter https://twitter.com/BigCatCountry/status/1160261750257803265/photo/1

great call and thx for the earlier reply. into PUP he goes and another article in the Lee thread says he may not be a factor at all for this season. latter is an opinion of a writer and not factual, but certainly not someone looking too relevant for the year.

Game time temp tomorrow near 100

@MadeByTim: Serious post: I spent 4 hours under a tailgate tent today and folks it was disgustingly hot. Please hydrate before and during the jags game tomorrow. Water, pedialyte, gatorade, anything.

@MadeByTim: Additionally, protect yourself from the sun. Get a wide brim hat, straw hat etc, wear SPF 1000 sunscreen, get a cooling shirt bring towels to soak. 

If I was the NFL I’d reschedule the game for 7:00 pm out of health concerns for players & fans. Likely the hottest game on record.

@APMarkLong: Assuming Jaguars QB Nick Foles is placed on injured reserve, he wouldn't be eligible to play again until Week 11 vs Indy

@AndrewSiciliano: Gardner Minshew went 22/25 for 275 yards and 2 TD yesterday.

Not bad for a guy who redshirted at Troy, transferred to NW Mississippi CC, went to Alabama to be a graduate assistant coach, before Mike Leach convinced him to play at WSU.

Jaguars traded for Minshews backup.

Only other healthy QB on roster was a PS player picked up after camp.

@APMarkLong: Jagaurs confirm they have traded a 2020 fifth-round pick to Pittsburgh for QB Josh Dobbs

Jaguars traded for Minshews backup.

Only other healthy QB on roster was a PS player picked up after camp.

@APMarkLong: Jagaurs confirm they have traded a 2020 fifth-round pick to Pittsburgh for QB Josh Dobbs
Curious move. Dobbs really hasn't shown much potential at all. He had an OK preseason in 2018 but seemed to regress this year.

I gotta think there were better options out there.

"I'm completely surprised that Doug Marrone has an underperforming team and his players hate him" said no Bills fan.

Antonio Brown sure has set the blueprint for getting your way if you're an NFL player, hasn't he?

Kind of feels like the Legion of Boom in Seattle where a bunch of guys with huge egos and bad attitudes were all smiles and happy to be there as long as they were winning a bunch. But as soon as the wins were harder to come by, those guys turned against the team and those egos and attitudes became a problem.

So they're going to trade Ramsey, fail to re-sign Ngakoue,  and keep playing zone defense and running Fournette up the gut for 2 yards so they can wait until the offseason to fire Marrone and Todd Wash.

I mean he's a grade A diva but his complaints about the coaching decisions are correct.

"I'm completely surprised that Doug Marrone has an underperforming team and his players hate him" said no Bills fan.

Antonio Brown sure has set the blueprint for getting your way if you're an NFL player, hasn't he?

Kind of feels like the Legion of Boom in Seattle where a bunch of guys with huge egos and bad attitudes were all smiles and happy to be there as long as they were winning a bunch. But as soon as the wins were harder to come by, those guys turned against the team and those egos and attitudes became a problem.
FWIW this beef with playing too much zone goes back to the AFCCG.

Yeah I'm sick of the losing too.

@AdamSchefter: Jalen Ramsey: "I have nothing bad or negative to say about anyone in the building. I don't want to speak on it or give too much detail. I will let God do his work."
Asked why he wants out of Jacksonville, Ramsey said: "I'm super excited to play this Thursday....if I'm still here"

@phillip_heilman: #Jaguars CB Jalen Ramsey: "However long I'm going to be here I'm going to continue to give my all out there. All I care about is winning, man. ####. Everybody knows that. I want to ####### win."

Whut?

@JaguarMavenSI: #Jaguars OC John DeFilippo said as the season goes on you might see more of a RB rotation but “It’s hard to take a player like Leonard Fournette out of the game.” 

Said he thinks he’s playing at a high-level in several roles on the offense.

I'm not going to say it's not about the money because that's always part of it. There's more than that going on with Jalen Ramsey.

He's fed up and so are a lot of the fans. I don't like the way he's going about it but he isn't wrong about the Jags shortcomings. 

So was Ramsey's beef with Marrone on Sunday about not challenging the Hopkins catch? If so, has Ramsey said anything about it since the replay pretty clearly showed that Hopkins caught the ball?

Users who are viewing this thread