What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2022 Jacksonville Jaguars thread - Drunken Sailors at Mayport Shocked at Jags Spending *** (1 Viewer)

@APMarkLong: Fantasy 🚨: Jaguars rookie TE Josh Oliver was a full participant in practice today, on schedule to make his NFL debut at Bengals

Also running with first team.
So any idea what happened with Oliver yesterday?   Did he play?  No stat line that I saw.  Not even a single target  

So any idea what happened with Oliver yesterday?   Did he play?  No stat line that I saw.  Not even a single target  
@ESPNdirocco: Jaguars coach Doug Marrone said he was satisfied with number of snaps TE Josh Oliver played on Sunday (25) but wants to see him get targeted (he wasn't against the Bengals) because he can help them in pass game.

This is either really really good or really bad. I'm reading this as being in the zone and just reacting. 

@APMarkLong: Jaguars QB Gardner Minshew on his TD pass to Chark: “Kind of just blacked out on that one.”

Marqise Lee to IR. Shocking

@APMarkLong: Lee ends up on IR for the 2nd straight season, likely signaling the end of his career in Jax.

He's due to count $8.75M against the 2020 cap. He'd have to restructure to stay with Jaguars

In 5 years and 30 starts, Jags 2015 2nd round WR has 8 career TD. In 7 career starts, Jags 2018 2nd round WR (Chark) has 6 career TD

Foles returns to the lineup as does Dede Westbrook. Huge measuring stick game to see what the rest of the season might bring.

Can they protect Foles? Does his return loosen up opposing defenses?

Foles returns to the lineup as does Dede Westbrook. Huge measuring stick game to see what the rest of the season might bring.

Can they protect Foles? Does his return loosen up opposing defenses?
Not sure why, but I'm feeling pretty good about an outright win here

what an embarrassment.

they quit.  they ####### quit. I think Derrick Henry is still running. 

they'll never do it but Minshew is a better QB for this depleted line. (not a better QB overall)

they need to fire everyone including TC. Receptionist can keep her job. Everyone else out. 

definition of insanity 

@JohnOehser: Jaguars HC Doug Marrone says he won't change quarterbacks.

@JohnOehser: Jaguars HC Doug Marrone says he won't change defensive coordinators

Sunday Jags play in Jacksonville for first time since before Halloween.  They're 0-3 since. All 3 divisional losses.

Tool said:
I know Ramsey is gone but giving up 42 points to the Titans? What happened to their defense?
Dareus is out. Telvin gone. LB don't make the proper run fits. Ronnie Harrison left game with concussion. DC Todd Wash is playing vanilla 2 deep zone most times and front 7 is getting gashed on the run. Offense stinks so defense on field a lot. Then they get behind by 2 scores and team folds.  

Wash should have been gone last year. Now he can take Marrone with him.

Change is coming

Marrone is 6-17 in his last 23 games.

He’s lost his touch when it comes to coaching this team.

His staff is regressing as well.

The Jaguars are consistently out-schemed by the opponent on both sides of the ball.

Time for Doug Maronne to be fired. It's past time.

Picking Foles was pretty obviously a bad idea at the time.   Maronne did it anyway, and now he should pay the price. 

Maronne is so inept that it could be said that his short term move - to try to keep his job - of reinstalling Foles actually backfired on him significantly.  The team as a whole looks much worse, and the QB play looks worse. 

Just another bad decision in a long series of bad decisions. 

He's still sticking with Foles.  

It's time to go for Doug Maronne. 

Published Mon Nov 25 9:47:22 a.m. MT 2019 

(RotoWire) Coach Doug Marrone suggested after Sunday's 42-20 loss to the Titans that Foles will remain the Jaguars' starting quarterback, Gene Frenette of The Florida Times-Union reports. "We got to figure it out with the guys we have," Marrone said, when asked about a potential change under center. "You got to keep fighting. You got to keep trying."

Analysis: In his first two games since returning from a fractured left clavicle, Foles has completed 68.4 percent of his pass attempts, but he's generally struggled to move the offense (6.0 YPA) while the Jaguars have lost both contests handily. Though the Jaguars now sit at 4-7 and received generally strong play from rookie Gardner Minshew earlier this season, Marrone apparently isn't ready to throw the towel in on Foles. The veteran signal caller will at least find himself in a favorable spot in Week 13, taking on a Buccaneers defense has surrendered 289.9 yards per game through the air (31st in the NFL) and 26 passing touchdowns (tied for 30th) this season.

JaxBill said:
what an embarrassment.

they'll never do it but Minshew is a better QB for this depleted line. (not a better QB overall)

they need to fire everyone including TC. Receptionist can keep her job. Everyone else out. 
The thing with Minshew was that it was fun to tune in and watch him; win or lose. If you're still going to lose with Foles, I don't get why they stick with him other to try to justify his contract.  Even at 4-7, I'd still tune in to a Jags game to see what kind of crazy stuff Minshew is doing. Foles, not so much.

I'm also not sold on how great Foles really is. He got paid for his amazing run in 2018, and for taking a team to the Super Bowl and winning MVP. He deserved to parlay that into a pay day, but the mystique with Foles is that he won games. Something he has yet to do this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised people are so down on Foles. He just got back from injury. Quarterbacks need to find a rhythm. I don't think he's the reason they're not very competitive right now. 

Besides, they might be giving easier (boring) throws to make as he gets his throwing motion back. So he's not making enough dynamic plays right now. 

Minshew is a fun story, but they couldn't beat anyone good with him. I guess if you're just messing around with the season, throw him in there and have some fun. But if you're trying to win games, I don't think he gives you the best chance to do that. 

Yeah I'm a Minshew fan and think he should be starting but not sure that Foles has been bad enough that you go back to Minshew this year. Foles can't do much about the defense being awful.

I don't agree that Foles necessarily gives them a better chance to win though - any difference is marginal in my eyes. What is clear is that Marrone needs to asap. 

Yeah I'm a Minshew fan and think he should be starting but not sure that Foles has been bad enough that you go back to Minshew this year. Foles can't do much about the defense being awful.

I don't agree that Foles necessarily gives them a better chance to win though - any difference is marginal in my eyes. What is clear is that Marrone needs to asap. 
I think it's a big deal because to me, it looks like Marrone lost the team by benching Minshew.  You have an exciting rookie QB, and you go back to a middling veteran who has had an inconsistent career at best? 

Before the switch, I thought one of the risks of going back to Foles would be losing the buy in of some of their players.  I do agree with the previous poster that it looked like they quit... And I don't know that it looked like that because eof the QB change, but I think the team being behind your QB is huge. 

Based on what we have seen it look like a major drop-off in team play, including defense, started right around after the bye week... 

Imagine trying to motivate people to beat out your competitors at your job if you were giving them all FU money and there is very little incentive to do so :).  I know it's dumb to compare the NFL to our jobs, but it's just more of an observation that motivation is fragile. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Also I would add that when deciding between a close decision between a rookie and a vet, YOU GO ROOKIE EVERY TIME!  It's a neutral short term decision and the future obviously favors the rookie.  

If it's even close, only one player has his entire career ahead of him and could develop into a far better player than he is today.  That's way, way less likely to happen with a veteran. 

Total laymen's opinion here but when Foles came in his first game back and started immediately checking down to everyone and had no drive on the ball outside the numbers I knew that it was going to be a long end to this trip. He doesn't strike me as physically ready to play QB right now. His throws looked different In Philly. And I roster him in Superflex, so he's important enough for me to watch and be nervous about. 

He's not passing the eye test right now, but you've got Tampa Bay next! If you can't hang at least 25 on them, you're hurting.  

Nobody is going to be taking that Foles contract off the Jags' hands anymore. 

A promising rookie rides the pine while Jacksonville makes sure they can't trade away his future high priced backup... 

Time for some axes to fall. 

"NFLPA won an arbitration grievance against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Said Jags tried requiring players to get all offseason medical treatment at team facility, which contravenes the CBA. “You as players may want to consider this when you have a chance to select your next club.” https://t.co/S1eyqqw8cg"

Honestly, the NFL should take draft picks for repeated violations.

The Coughlin firing was necessary for multiple reasons including the fact that no serious GM candidates would come here with him in the building. 

@TylerNettuno: It’s so metal that Shad didn’t let him retire. Violate the CBA with total indifference? You don’t get to go out on your own terms.

what an embarrassment.

TC out. Two weeks before the other two stooges are let go. 

oh God no.

if they do that then that lends credence to the Jags to London conspiracy theory. Surefire way to drive down season ticket sales

@RapSheet: From @NFLGameDay: There is a "good chance" #Jaguars coach Doug Marrone and GM Dave Caldwell return in 2020 following the firing of EVP Tom Coughlin, sources say... and Tony Khan could take on an increased role. https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1208783508845604864/video/1

#thisisfine

@APMarkLong: Shad Khan: "This is not the time to consider an overhaul of our organization."

Users who are viewing this thread