What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Channeling Your Passion - Other Places Besides This Board? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Serious question for you guys.

Many of you are obviously passionate about specific topics.

And you're obviously knowledgeable and well versed.

We all have 24 hours in a day. Are you using your gifts and energy most effectively?

Specifically, I'm wondering if channeling some of the energy into something else besides posts on this board might have the most impact. 

What do you think? 

Specifically, I'm wondering if channeling some of the energy into something else besides posts on this board might have the most impact. 

What do you think? 
Warren Buffett has a formula of prioritizing his time

.This Brilliant Strategy Used by Warren Buffett Will Help You Prioritize Your Time The billionaire has a simple method for deciding what to spend his valuable time on.

With more than $70 billion to his name and majority ownership of 70+ companiesthrough his holding company Berkshire Hathaway, Warren Buffett has proved he knows a thing or two about prioritizing important work.

But this level of focus doesn't come naturally. For most of us, we fall into choice paralysis when more than a few options are laid out in front of us. Luckily, Buffett has an answer.

According to a story told by Buffett's personal pilot, Mike Flint, the billionaire has a simple strategy for highlighting what work deserves his attention. While Flint was asking about what career goals to prioritize, this method works equally well for short-term goals or big choices.  

• Step 1: Write down your top 25 career goals on a single piece of paper.
  • Step 2: Circle only your top five options.
  • Step 3: Put the top five on one list and the remaining 20 on a second list.
Seems simple. But here's where the strategy becomes interesting.

When Flint was working through this exercise with Buffett, he agreed to focus on the top five goals he'd circled. But as the remaining 20 were still important to him, he said that he'd work on them intermittently when he had time.

Which makes sense. These weren't bad choices, simply ones that didn't make the top five.  Buffett's response?

"No. You've got it wrong, Mike. Everything you didn't circle just became your Avoid-At-All-Cost list. No matter what, these things get no attention from you until you've succeeded with your top 5."

Why we need to eliminate 'good' options from our lives

Despite there being "good" options or goals to pursue, Buffett recognized that anything on our second list is nothing but a distraction in our day-to-day lives.

It's akin to packing a bag for a weekend away on a sunny island with your winter jacket, boots, and gloves. It might be a good idea to be prepared, but you're carrying around unnecessary baggage that's simply weighing you down.

Every behavior and choice we make has a cost. And constantly having to decide to work on your first list versus your second saps your willpower and motivation.

While items 6 to 25 on your list are important to you, they're the worst things you could possibly have for completing your most important goals.

The question comes down to, Would you rather be carrying around 20 half-finished projects? Or have five completed ones to show off?
Warren Buffett would say unless posting on a message board was a top five goal you should not waste time until you've knocked off everything else that could be considered a top five goal and posting messages made top-five.

Having shared that, personally pressing obligations take priority over all other goals and the time and effort fulfilling personal obligations means channeling creative energies to areas like FF can supply energy to fulfilling personally pressing obligations. 

Now that I’m in my (very early) 50's, I’ve achieved my career goals (I’m at a high position in the company and do NOT care to go any higher...ie.I’ve seen the boss' job, and I don’t want it ;) ) and yet I still have to put 110% into work, often catching up late at night even after a full 9 hour day. So I give that my all, but mentally it’s transitioning from a "career" into a "job" since my main focus is getting my 2 boys (14 and 9) through school, into college...or whatever the choose to pursue, as long as they find a passion (I don’t care if it’s college, military or car mechanic) and figuring out how the heck I’m going to retire in 15 years since I live in an expensive area but don’t feel like moving to the sticks at all to reduce cost of living (I’m a liberal city boy a heart). 

So top 5 on the Buffet list are:

1) continue to stay gainfully employed for next 10-15 years

2) spend as much time with family as possible

3) try to b better at saving (eg. Don’t keep doing so many home improvements...though I’m addicted)

4) spend as much time with family as possible

5) enjoy bing distracted by simple pleasures like fantasy sports, sports in general, food and this message board. 

Having shared that, personally pressing obligations take priority over all other goals and the time and effort fulfilling personal obligations means channeling creative energies to areas like FF can supply energy to fulfilling personally pressing obligations. 
I don’t think Buffett slots any time for fantasy football but he must (?) have some time for some kind of leisure or pursuit. Fun stuff or interests have to play a role in life or we’d all go crazy or lose our drive.

Movies, Music and Fantasy football.

Starting collecting records 2 years ago after wining one of my leagues, I bought a turntable and kind of became obsessed.. spend a lot of time on music forums and listening these days.  Also love old movies and just signe d up for the Criterion Channel, catching up on a lot of stuff that has eluded me over the years....  I listen to a lot of podcasts for fantasy football while I exercise so that helps with my weekly goal of 100k steps....

Joe do you want us to all go away?
That's a super interesting question to ask in response to:

Serious question for you guys.

Many of you are obviously passionate about specific topics.

And you're obviously knowledgeable and well versed.

We all have 24 hours in a day. Are you using your gifts and energy most effectively?

What do you think? 
:unsure:  

All of us die hard hobbyists could certainly find a hobby that benefits society more than fantasy football. Should we? 

I am 100% not using my gifts and energy effectively. And honestly, I'm really kind of at peace with that. I know I could bust my ### and go back to school to bust my ### at a better paying job or finally write that book... Hell I'd probably be really good at whatever I decide to do (I come from a family of cfos, lawyers, and doctors). But I wouldn't be happy.

I like having a tiny one bedroom, a crappy car, using my laptop as an entertainment center and library, small Walmart wardrobe, and my dog. I've got a girlfriend who enjoys our diner dates and like me would rather take a vacation in the living room with takeout than go somewhere exotic.  I'm spiritually and emotionally fulfilled just doing what I'm doing, and that involves trying to figure out which football player is gonna fit my ten plus year dynasty team best.

Edit - didn't know the word for donkey was censored, huh

Last edited by a moderator:
Warren Buffett has a formula of prioritizing his time

.This Brilliant Strategy Used by Warren Buffett Will Help You Prioritize Your Time The billionaire has a simple method for deciding what to spend his valuable time on.

Warren Buffett would say unless posting on a message board was a top five goal you should not waste time until you've knocked off everything else that could be considered a top five goal and posting messages made top-five.

People spend their time doing what they want to do: FF message board, gardening, drugs, making money, whatever. In the end perhaps one will look back thinking he spent his time poorly. Most old people would tell you they could have used their time more better, but few will wish they would have made more money. They'll tell you they should have spent more time with their loved ones, if they have regrets at all.

Joe's right, we could volunteer at the homeless shelter, meals on wheels, or maybe coach our kid's baseball team. Joe could also do these things instead of managing this site.

Dezbelief said:
All of us die hard hobbyists could certainly find a hobby that benefits society more than fantasy football. Should we? 
The current Jeopardy champ is a professional gambler who prefers giving some of his winnings to local children's charities as opposed to giving to family members who really don't need his money. I want to be like him, but I need to get much smarter first.

wgoldsph said:
I am 100% not using my gifts and energy effectively. And honestly, I'm really kind of at peace with that. I know I could bust my ### and go back to school to bust my ### at a better paying job or finally write that book... Hell I'd probably be really good at whatever I decide to do (I come from a family of cfos, lawyers, and doctors). But I wouldn't be happy.

I like having a tiny one bedroom, a crappy car, using my laptop as an entertainment center and library, small Walmart wardrobe, and my dog. I've got a girlfriend who enjoys our diner dates and like me would rather take a vacation in the living room with takeout than go somewhere exotic.  I'm spiritually and emotionally fulfilled just doing what I'm doing, and that involves trying to figure out which football player is gonna fit my ten plus year dynasty team best.

Edit - didn't know the word for donkey was censored, huh
This is awesome, really.

Dezbelief said:
I'm wondering if channeling some of the energy into something else besides posts on this board might have the most impact. 

What do you think?

I'm wondering if channeling some of the energy into something else besides posts on this board might have the most impact. 

What do you think?
It seems like across the boards you've posted this in, the answer has just about universally been "yes, of course there are more productive/beneficial things we can all do besides discuss fantasy football/politics/etc. on an anonymous internet message board." I doubt that's up for debate for 95% of us.

If you're asking for something more, you need to better communicate that, because it seems you're looking for some kind of idk, deeper(?) answer.

It seems like across the boards you've posted this in, the answer has just about universally been "yes, of course there are more productive/beneficial things we can all do besides discuss fantasy football/politics/etc. on an anonymous internet message board." I doubt that's up for debate for 95% of us.

If you're asking for something more, you need to better communicate that, because it seems you're looking for some kind of idk, deeper(?) answer.
Thanks. I thought the answers were excellent. That's really all I was asking for. Not asking at all for anything more. Posts today were where I was simply responding to a few posts that asked me questions. 

What do you think?
I probably spend 10 min a day on the board if that? I think I'm ok with that. Don't know how productive that energy would be if spent elsewhere.

Cannot recall who the writer was but he was/if very famous and he said his writing process was  to go  down stairs and 'waste' time by doing anything other than writing.  His wife would ask him when he was going to start writing because all she could see him doing was wasting time.  He told her that what he was doing was part of the process.  

Johnny Cash was asked what happened when  he was drinking and got into legal trouble early in his career.  His response?

"I was gathering meat."

The reporter was puzzled so Cash told her.

"I was  gathering meat for my songs."

His drinking and suffering could be judged bad from the outside but it was critical to making Johnny Cash into Johnny Cash.

I  used to work at a big tech company doing work that had multi tasking on top of multi tasking, it was freaking busy always.  The employees had many tasks but also had net access.  Management noticed the amount of time employees spent on the net  and were shocked that we could get any work done.  They held the information on number of hours spent on-line.  

What they did not know was we knew how to multi task extremely well and that timed work had gaps that an efficient multi-tasker could compile together and use that time as a reward instead of droning on mindlessly and not using those gaps efficiently.  Having a reward proved beneficial to everyone.

Guess what? 

Production went UP significantly when employees had some sort of reward like scrolling the internet and their work did not suffer.

Big Brother has information but can make piss poor judgments on what people SHOULD or should not be doing with their time if they don't really know or understand the big picture and the people they are judging.

Users who are viewing this thread