What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2019 NFL Draft Thread *** PLEASE NO SPOILERS *** (1 Viewer)

Houston media is saying Texans are more likely to trade down than up.  Though they've gotten it wrong plenty of times.
You are probably right going with the local media rumors over a potential trade partner rumor from out of town. 

The most recent Miami 'rumor' has them interested in DT Jeffery Simmons with their first pick #13 which seems a rich spot to take him so moving down and getting Simmons would make a ton of sense for a team like Miami whose roster needs a lot of help so they 'likely' will have a top pick in next year's draft. 

IOWs they'll be targeting a top QB in next year's draft so moving down, picking up extra ammo in next year's draft if they need to move-up for a QB and then getting Simmons who won't be able to contribute this year so it would not help their roster for 2019 which would not help them win more games this year which would help them get a higher pick next year for a QB.

It really makes sense for Miami and Houston does need O-Line help and more than one source has 'speculated' a deal between the two teams but if you are not hearing anything on your end then you're probably right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope I don't have to eat my words but after watching Brown's tape, I was absolutely blown away by how good he was and I absolutely don't think he's another John Ross. The main differences being him 1) winning at the line of scrimmage because of how electric he is, and 2) doesn't struggle to get into his routes cleanly.
Not at all ... if he was 20 pounds heavier he'd be compared with Odell and Antonio Brown. Guys talented as hell and will be a very good WR

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Falcons have "shown a willingness to trade into the top 10."

Rapoport also lists Washington as a team willing to move up after they were linked with a couple of quarterbacks on Wednesday. For the Falcons, any trade up would likely be for a defender, and NFL Network's Tom Pelissero pegged Michigan LB Devin Bush as a prime target. The Broncos (10), Bengals (11), and Packers (12) all have a need at linebacker and pick ahead of the Falcons (14) on Thursday night.

RELATED: 

Atlanta Falcons

, Washington Redskins

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 25, 2019, 6:57 AM

Pro Football Talk reports Washington has "no real desire" to trade up from No. 15.

Washington has been heavily linked with a trade up for a quarterback over the last couple of days, but it seems like that talk is just smoke. ESPN's John Keim wrote there is a "slim chance" they move up, but the team values their picks and needs a lot of help. If Washington really is looking for a quarterback, it is possible one falls into their lap at No. 15.

RELATED: 

Washington Redskins

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on Twitter

Apr 25, 2019, 7:03 AM

Not at all ... if he was 20 pounds heavier he'd be compared with Odell and Antonio Brown. Guys talented as hell and will be a very good WR
Kind of agree. I was exchanging pre-draft fantasy rankings with someone a few weeks ago and I had Marquise Brown listed in my top 5 WR's.  They replied that no way would he ever rank such a small guy that high and my reply was if he we was 20 pounds heavier he'd be clear cut #1.

Agreed. Whether right or wrong, his value takes a hit only because we'll see a need to caveat this with "as long as he's on the field"

if he somehow found his way to Seattle (they have the picks to make it work) he'd become my top pick. But man it will probably be a heart attack every time a safety crushes him.

"Cardinals sources" told NFL Network's Michael Silver "people could be surprised" by the No. 1 overall pick.

Kyler Murray has been seen as a near lock for the top selection since the Combine, so a surprise pick would have to come from somewhere else. Silver reports the Cardinals believe Murray, Nick Bosa, and Quinnen Williams are the top options available, and it seems like Bosa and Williams are atop most draft boards. If the Cardinals have Murray anywhere close to the other two, he has to be the pick. Quarterback is just that valuable.

RELATED: 

Arizona Cardinals

SOURCE: Michael Silver on Twitter

Apr 25, 2019, 10:32 AM

"Cardinals sources" told NFL Network's Michael Silver "people could be surprised" by the No. 1 overall pick.

Kyler Murray has been seen as a near lock for the top selection since the Combine, so a surprise pick would have to come from somewhere else. Silver reports the Cardinals believe Murray, Nick Bosa, and Quinnen Williams are the top options available, and it seems like Bosa and Williams are atop most draft boards. If the Cardinals have Murray anywhere close to the other two, he has to be the pick. Quarterback is just that valuable.

RELATED: 

Arizona Cardinals

SOURCE: Michael Silver on Twitter

Apr 25, 2019, 10:32 AM
This is getting silly.  There’s a less than 1% chance that the pick is someone other than Murray.  

This is getting silly.  There’s a less than 1% chance that the pick is someone other than Murray.  
I would be willing to bet $10 to win $1000 that ARZ doesn't draft Murray at pick #1.

These media guys just aren't as dialed in with team executives as they used to be back in the day when Kiper used to lose his mind if someone lied to him.

YOU'LL HAVE TO TUNE IN TO FIND OUT!!!

The draft is on three networks, radio, streaming, and carrier pigeon!

IOW - Useful idiots are being used to drive up viewership.

I would be willing to bet $10 to win $1000 that ARZ doesn't draft Murray at pick #1.

These media guys just aren't as dialed in with team executives as they used to be back in the day when Kiper used to lose his mind if someone lied to him.
Would to be willing to bet $1000 to win $10000?

We’ll sure, I’d be willing to bet $10 to win $1,000 as well.  That’s not the point.  The point is that there are increasing stories about the potential “surprise” of a non Murray pick at #1.  Kingsbury isn’t passing on a perfect fit for his offense and hinging his wagon to Josh Rosen.  No way.

We’ll sure, I’d be willing to bet $10 to win $1,000 as well.  That’s not the point.  The point is that there are increasing stories about the potential “surprise” of a non Murray pick at #1.  Kingsbury isn’t passing on a perfect fit for his offense and hinging his wagon to Josh Rosen.  No way.
IMO that team is a mess. They need as many picks as possible to turn that thing around. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they did the smart thing and just traded down. 

IMO that team is a mess. They need as many picks as possible to turn that thing around. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they did the smart thing and just traded down. 
I’m not disputing that.  The report is that people “could be surprised by the #1 overall pick.”

There. Will. Be. No. Surprise. At. #1. Overall.

The crazy thing about Brown's weight is even if he were 20lbs heavier a lot of people would still be timid about him because of his size. 
Yeah he is really really small. JJ Nelson is the only WR I can think of who was smaller. 

from scrolling through multiple sites this morning and looking at rankings and mock drafts, it seems like picks 1-8ish are reasonably locked in, in regards to who the top players but after around pick 11ish its a complete unknown.  

from scrolling through multiple sites this morning and looking at rankings and mock drafts, it seems like picks 1-8ish are reasonably locked in, in regards to who the top players but after around pick 11ish its a complete unknown.  
Please show your work for the reasonably locked in picks 1-8...

I guess one surprise that I could see, but only because Arizona seems intent in outsmarting themselves, is taking Allen because he fits the 3-4.

IIRC I had them taking Allen in my first mock way back when.

Agreed. Murray is a superstar in that offense as well. He's the pick for Arizona..

Steelers are pretty well known for reaching in round 1, so that would make sense. 

Would those be surprises? I think a real surprise would be somebody that has never been mocked that high, or linked to Oakland. Like Hockenson maybe?
Yep and I think this would be a disaster pick

I don't know about all 8, but I'd bet the house that Murray, bosa, Quinnen Williams, Josh Allen, and Oliver are among the top 8. 

Who are the other 3 locks?

I’m not disputing that.  The report is that people “could be surprised by the #1 overall pick.”

There. Will. Be. No. Surprise. At. #1. Overall.
And no surprise when Quinnen Williams is the best player in this draft for the next decade. Bosa being 2nd.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about all 8, but I'd bet the house that Murray, bosa, Quinnen Williams, Josh Allen, and Oliver are among the top 8. 

Who are the other 3 locks?
Probably Devin White. Other than that who knows, but I think there's more than a 50% chance Haskins goes top 8 too.

@BlueDredSo - I’d like to propose a thread title change to *** Official 2019 NFL Draft Thread *** 

Rumors are acceptable leading up to the draft and once the draft gets underway we can post our reactions and thoughts on the picks as they happen.
Dang, a little late but hopefully that other one starts to fade.

According to NFL Network's Tom Pelissero, Michigan LB Devin Bush could be a target for the Falcons if they're able to move up in the draft.

Pelissero's comment was in response to Ian Rapoport stating that the Falcons and Redskins are two teams willing to trade up into the top ten, with Bush (5'11/234) and Clemson DT Christian Wilkins being possible targets for Atlanta. The former Michigan linebacker is projected to go anywhere from the back end of the top ten to the high teens in Thursday's opening round. Both Benjamin Albright and Todd McShay have projected Bush to be selected tenth overall by the Broncos in their most recent mock drafts.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Apr 25, 2019, 10:23 AM

So if Kyler Murray drops out of the top 10, does he put on an Oakland A's cap and walk out?

Pick 9/10, I believe, is Murray's "break even" point from what the A's offered him to play baseball

Really hoping the Lions take whichever LB falls to them. Probably Bush. But I have a feeling Atlanta going to trade with them or in front of them if the rumors are true. Could be a tough spot for Detroit. Take the guy you really want at 8 (Bush, Oliver, etc) or trade back to Atlanta and risk losing that player. 

Most excited I have been about a draft in a long, long time. I feel like nobody is certain what will happen from the 1st pick down. 

So if Kyler Murray drops out of the top 10, does he put on an Oakland A's cap and walk out?

Pick 9/10, I believe, is Murray's "break even" point from what the A's offered him to play baseball
From what I recall you're right, unless he's including future earnings and thinks he has a better chance of being a $35 million QB in 5 years over his chances of doing that in baseball. I know nothing about his baseball potential earnings but he must. 

I know everyone will tell me I'm wrong but I'm really starting to think Murray does not go 1 to Arizona.

Really hoping the Lions take whichever LB falls to them. Probably Bush. But I have a feeling Atlanta going to trade with them or in front of them if the rumors are true. Could be a tough spot for Detroit. Take the guy you really want at 8 (Bush, Oliver, etc) or trade back to Atlanta and risk losing that player. 

Most excited I have been about a draft in a long, long time. I feel like nobody is certain what will happen from the 1st pick down. 
They need hockenson.

From what I recall you're right, unless he's including future earnings and thinks he has a better chance of being a $35 million QB in 5 years over his chances of doing that in baseball. I know nothing about his baseball potential earnings but he must. 

I know everyone will tell me I'm wrong but I'm really starting to think Murray does not go 1 to Arizona.
I've been speculating this for a while and was told that I'm on the same level as flat earthers 

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports the Redskins remain divided on which quarterback to target in the first round on Thursday, with Daniel Snyder and GM Bruce Allen favoring Dwayne Haskins but others wanting Daniel Jones.

The Redskins should ... listen to Snyder and Allen? If true, it is truly incredible that a team could come down to draft day and still be this split on a decision they have had months to make. Of course, if it was going to be anyone, it would be the Redskins. They are going to do it live on Thursday evening.

RELATED: 

Washington Redskins

SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter

Apr 25, 2019, 11:55 AM

Kind of a lame tweet IMO. Who is she referring to as "others"? 

Also, it is not unusual at all for staff to disagree on the pick. You could have a year and people won't change their mind. There is a reason they came to the conclusion they did. Everyone agreeing does not make for a great running franchise. People disagreeing does not make you dysfunctional. 

*Not a Skins fan

Draft night is typically like a holiday and is treated as such in my world.  The location often varies, but there's usually somewhere between 5 and 20something of us somewhere getting together for this thing.  There isn't any twitter.  There isn't any message boards.  Just good food, beers, buds, and piles of questionable language - either at each other's or the Browns expense.  It's refreshingly weird not to have any plans tonight.  So since I'll be in my basement talking to myself I'm just doing the rounds to see what various places are like during the actual thing.

Is there pick tipping here? how hot are the taeks? how sensitive is the crowd? and anything else I should know?  Just trying to gauge if checking in here is on the agenda for tonight. Or if I should just stick to a post draft check in and hope it doesn't lead to a suspension this year.

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports the Raiders are considering trading up for Ohio State DE Nick Bosa.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported earlier this week that the Raiders could make a "surprise" move. This would certainly qualify. It is not a guarantee that Bosa is even the first defensive lineman off the board, with Alabama's Quinnen Williams supposedly still in the running for the No. 1 pick.

RELATED: 

Oakland Raiders

SOURCE: Evan Silva on Twitter

Apr 25, 2019, 1:16 PM

Draft night is typically like a holiday and is treated as such in my world.  The location often varies, but there's usually somewhere between 5 and 20something of us somewhere getting together for this thing.  There isn't any twitter.  There isn't any message boards.  Just good food, beers, buds, and piles of questionable language - either at each other's or the Browns expense.  It's refreshingly weird not to have any plans tonight.  So since I'll be in my basement talking to myself I'm just doing the rounds to see what various places are like during the actual thing.

Is there pick tipping here? how hot are the taeks? how sensitive is the crowd? and anything else I should know?  Just trying to gauge if checking in here is on the agenda for tonight. Or if I should just stick to a post draft check in and hope it doesn't lead to a suspension this year.
Its a free for all.  People get shooshed if they tip picks so the hide function is encouraged.  Its fun like nationally televised game with at least obnoxious drunk and lots of jokes at the expense of bad picks but also lots of good informational posts that share things no one has heard till the pick  was made.  

You might also want to check back this feed when it goes live on the side to hear FBG bllow-by-blow reaction of each pick in addition to ESPN or NFL Network since Sigmond  Bloom brings in many talking heads.  Footballguys TV

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reports West Virginia QB Will Grier could be an option for the Giants in a trade back into the first round if they miss out on Drew Lock and Daniel Jones.

That's the Teddy Bridgewater plan. Grier seems to be the No. 5 quarterback in the draft's unofficial consensus ranks. At 24, Grier is elderly for a prospect, but his accuracy is arguably the tops in this year's class.

RELATED: 

New York Giants

SOURCE: Evan Silva on Twitter

Apr 25, 2019, 1:10 PM

Users who are viewing this thread