What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Darwin Thompson, Chiefs RB (1 Viewer)

Waldman did a whole write up on DT and his pass blocking prowess was highlighted.  I think its in the string somewhere linked - possibly by me.  I think pass blocking is a strength.
There were 2 or 3 videos he included showing Thompson absolutely  annihilating defenders twice his size. It was very impressive. 

KC as a team had 22 rushes for 31 yards.

For an average of 1.4 yards per rush with 0 TDs.

The Chiefs had 30 receptions for 443 yards and 4 TDs.

For an average of 14.8 yards per reception.

Thompson got 1 carry for 1 yard with zero receptions.

KC's RBs are window dressing for the passing attack.

Yes, but they're incidental beneficiaries of their high-powered attack. Good to see Robinson and Hardman filling in and stretching the field as Oakland sold out up on the defensive front yesterday, accounting in part for the low rushing numbers. Others have commented on that, and I noticed it.

Bracie Smathers said:

1. Let’s not read into one game too much. All those numbers are from a sample size of 1, in a kind of a weird game. Other chiefs games (like all of last year) were very productive for the RB. 

2. In that game their RB usage was skewed due to injuries to both lead backs & a decimated Raiders secondary where mismatches were exploited all day. Mostly the latter.

3. The RB in this system has also been a beneficiary because they’re part of the passing attack. Your statement seems to indicate these as being mutually exclusive. 

4. If Shady & DWill are out for any period, Thompson becomes  must start FF lock as a high-end RB2 with RB1 upside for any week he has that role. That’s a fact. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I am drowning in my tears now that I dropped him before the season after Shady signed...lol Hope I can get him back on waivers!

Yeah but one guy is old and the other guy has an injury history and has never carried much of a season-long workload.  And DT is in an offense tailored to him and his pro day scores were pretty nuts.

He's a hold and trending up.

Bracie Smathers said:

Last year through 2 games Mahomes threw for 10tds.  Hunt had 34 carries for 124 yards and no rushing tds (1 td on 1 rec for 5 yards in those games).  Hunt turned out to be a pretty big part of the offense till he was kicked off the team.  

Small sample sizes are often small. 

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports LeSean McCoy's (ankle) MRI showed no significant damage.

He has a "shot" to play in Sunday's Week 3 showdown against the Ravens. With Damien Williams (groin) also on the mend, rookie Darwin Thompson could be handed a few more touches than usual. McCoy will garner RB3/FLEX status if he's active.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports LeSean McCoy's (ankle) MRI showed no significant damage.

He has a "shot" to play in Sunday's Week 3 showdown against the Ravens. With Damien Williams (groin) also on the mend, rookie Darwin Thompson could be handed a few more touches than usual. McCoy will garner RB3/FLEX status if he's active.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Maybe I am reading that all wrong but I that doesnt make any sense to me.  McCoy may play and Thompson could get more carries.

Wouldnt Thompson be the main guy if McCoy cannot play?

Maybe I am reading that all wrong but I that doesnt make any sense to me.  McCoy may play and Thompson could get more carries.

Wouldnt Thompson be the main guy if McCoy cannot play?
It's Rotoworld - I wouldn't waste any energy trying to figure out their analyses.

Are people picking up or holding Darwin??
If you can make a spot for him, his status hasn't changed - one of the best "lottery tickets" you can hold on to this year. In a perfect spot in an all-time amazing offense. Both the guys ahead of him already struggling with injuries.  No sense in dropping him all season unless you desperately need a roster spot.

I drafted him willing to wait. Injuries have caused me to juggle a bit but recent events with injuries have me still holding.

Are people picking up or holding Darwin??
Still holding him in a points-based keeper league where I got him late and he'd be worth a ton if he actually hit. But it's a struggle; our benches aren't long. I haven't run into major injury trouble yet but if I do then he may have to be the first guy over the wall.

Adam Teicher

@adamteicher

Neither McCoy nor Damien Williams are working in early portion of Chiefs practice

Oh ####.......do I sit Sony for Darwin........

Adam Teicher

@adamteicher

Neither McCoy nor Damien Williams are working in early portion of Chiefs practice

Oh ####.......do I sit Sony for Darwin........
I dunno, as bad as he's been he should get at least a few chances to fall into the end zone against the Jets this week.

Man am I glad this news didn't come out yesterday. Had all 3 KC backs, dropped Darwin on Friday but was able to snag him on waivers last night at the 11th spot.

There's room for optimism but way too soon to talk about him in the starting lineup - for KC and for fantasy.  Have to see Thursday practice participation to give this some steam.

Even if one, or both, of the others suit up, he's going to see increased work this week since those 2 are clearly banged up. I made a few lowball ww bids for him and was surprised to actually end up with him in a few leagues. 

If he impresses this week, he might carve himself out a role even when the vets are healthy. 

Even if one, or both, of the others suit up, he's going to see increased work this week since those 2 are clearly banged up. I made a few lowball ww bids for him and was surprised to actually end up with him in a few leagues. 

If he impresses this week, he might carve himself out a role even when the vets are healthy. 
If Shady and Williams cede work to Thompson this week, it may be the start of something big. This may be the last buy low/pickup window for this kid. I expect one or both to play, but if they don’t, look out!  

My fear is he will be facing the Ravens and won't be as productive. I'd like to put him in my flex if DWill and Shady are limited.

My fear is he will be facing the Ravens and won't be as productive. I'd like to put him in my flex if DWill and Shady are limited.
I'd only consider flexing him if they were out. I roster all three, actually, in one league now, and I can't imagine him getting the bulk of the workload if they're active. But that's also conjecture and makes the assumption, that if dressed, McCoy or Williams would get the bulk of the work and wouldn't aggravate their injuries mid-game. It certainly could happen and Reid might suit them up as insurance, but that's just something I'd rather not gamble on this week. 

If Thompson is the only healthy RB he’s worth at least a flex no matter who the opponent is. 

Here’s as close to a vote of confidence as you’ll ever see from Andy Reid about a rookie back. 

Darwin Thompson RB | KC

Chiefs' Darwin Thompson: Talked up by coach

by RotoWire Staff
(1 hr ago) Coach Andy Reid said Wednesday that he feels "comfortable" with Thompson receiving more work if he learns his assignments as a pass blocker, Adam Teicher of ESPN.com reports.

Reid also highlighted Thompson's youth and lack of experience, but he added that the rookie is "getting there." Thompson could be on tap for a significant workload Sunday versus the Ravens, with Damien Williams (knee) and LeSean McCoy (ankle) both managing injuries. The combination of Williams and McCoy have accounted for 92 percent of Kansas City's plays at the running back position, per Teicher, and if they were forced to miss any time Thompson and Darrel Williams would see sharp upticks in usage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Williams rostered, just dropped Will Fuller to make room for Thompson on my bench. Feel iffy on it, but the chance at the RB in the best offense is worth dropping a WR that still needs to prove it this season. 

Darwin Thompson RB | KC

Chiefs' Darwin Thompson: Talked up by coach

by RotoWire Staff
(1 hr ago) Coach Andy Reid said Wednesday that he feels "comfortable" with Thompson receiving more work if he learns his assignments as a pass blocker, Adam Teicher of ESPN.com reports.

Reid also highlighted Thompson's youth and lack of experience, but he added that the rookie is "getting there." Thompson could be on tap for a significant workload Sunday versus the Ravens, with Damien Williams (knee) and LeSean McCoy (ankle) both managing injuries. The combination of Williams and McCoy have accounted for 92 percent of Kansas City's plays at the running back position, per Teicher, and if they were forced to miss any time Thompson and Darrel Williams would see sharp upticks in usage.
Will be checking back on this thread for redraft 2020.

That was a big "if" in that Roto blurb. That sounds like if he misses an assignment, he's yanked.  
Normally I’m not a big buyer into the pass blocking narrative but for a player who seems so fringey as is and Mahomes being the most important player in the NFL, I buy it. 

Normally I’m not a big buyer into the pass blocking narrative but for a player who seems so fringey as is and Mahomes being the most important player in the NFL, I buy it. 
This backfield is interesting. Injury-prone or aging or rookie.

All sorts of fantasy warts. 

And yet anyone with any sort of fantasy acumen will jump on board full force if Thompson becomes the feature back for arguably  The NFL’s most potent offense.

And well they should. 
Sure. I would jump on anyone with that role. Does someone have that role?

Users who are viewing this thread