Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Darwin Thompson, Chiefs RB


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a natural selection  

People seem to be getting a bit too excited right now.  From early accounts, looks like the injuries to both Shady and Williams are minor.  I’m a Thompson owner, too, but don’t expect him to be r

16 page thread for a 4th string running back. Sheesh. 

My guess is Ware was brought in because of the injuries and being familiar with the system. I would be surprised if he jumps Thompson unless Thompson comes out and struggles mightily. That being said I think they will rely on McCoy as much as they can.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Darwin Thompson compiled seven yards on four carries while nabbing four catches for an additional 36 yards on five targets Sunday in the Chiefs’ Week 14 win over the Patriots.

Thompson surprisingly led the Chiefs' backfield in touches last week but that was not the case Sunday as the sixth-round rookie took a clear backseat to LeSean McCoy while also seeing fewer snaps than Spencer Ware, who was making his 2019 debut following a nearly fourth-month stint of unemployment. Though he didn't make much headway as a ball-carrier, Thompson did show well as a receiver, turning four catches into a career-high 36 receiving yards. He'll stay involved if Damien Williams (ribs) misses another game in Week 15, though starting Thompson in fantasy would be a Hail Mary.

Dec 8, 2019, 9:23 PM ET

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 4:22 PM, One said:

I can't bring myself to start him this week.  Maybe next if he shows well with a lot of usage or McCoy goes down. 

I don’t think I can ever start him, I’m about to cut bait with him and use his roster spot for the latest waiver wire darling.   A few weeks too late,  lol.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

To be fair....while he looked like a deer in the headlights when he recovered the ball....in football you can’t advance a muff but you can advance a fumble....so he may have been confused for a second....but either way there is nothing wrong with taking it to the house....but could have been a game changer if they didn’t punch it in there.... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
12 hours ago, cloppbeast said:

This is the guy you want to go after following Damien Williams' retirement. 

If you’re talking about the #2 guy after CEH, I think Darrel Williams stands just as much a chance - if not more - at being that guy. Darwin had all the hype last off-season, but if he were that good, Reid would have played him and probably not brought in other guys in the offseason.

Edited by zamboni
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, zamboni said:

If you’re talking about the #2 guy after CEH, I think Darrel Williams stands just as much a chance - if not more - at being that guy. Darwin had all the hype last off-season, but if he were that good, Reid would have played him and probably not brought in other guys in the offseason.

No one is saying he is “that good”

Thompson is an obvious next man up to fill some or all of a roll Williams was going to have. I have a feeling Andy Reid will use CEH as much as he would have if Williams didn’t opt out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, I-ROK said:
1 hour ago, zamboni said:

If you’re talking about the #2 guy after CEH, I think Darrel Williams stands just as much a chance - if not more - at being that guy. Darwin had all the hype last off-season, but if he were that good, Reid would have played him and probably not brought in other guys in the offseason.

No one is saying he is “that good”

Thompson is an obvious next man up to fill some or all of a roll Williams was going to have. I have a feeling Andy Reid will use CEH as much as he would have if Williams didn’t opt out. 

This is what I disagree with. Darrel Williams was coming on last year and got a lot more PT than Darwin when Damien went down and Shady was underperforming (and then Darrel went down for the year). I don’t even think it’s out of the question that DeAndre Washington would be the next man up.

Edited by zamboni
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, zamboni said:

This is what I disagree with. Darrel Williams was coming on last year and got a lot more PT than Darwin when Damien went down and Shady was underperforming (and then Darrel went down for the year). I don’t even think it’s out of the question that DeAndre Washington would be the next man up.

Good points all around

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zamboni said:

If you’re talking about the #2 guy after CEH, I think Darrel Williams stands just as much a chance - if not more - at being that guy. Darwin had all the hype last off-season, but if he were that good, Reid would have played him and probably not brought in other guys in the offseason.

Your reasoning is a fallacy. 1)Teams need a bunch of running backs. KC wasn't going to go into 2020 with three of them. 2) Many players have needed a rookie year to develope.

If I've learned anything from Andy's time in KC, you never know what the hell he's going to do at RB. I admit the most likely outcome is CEH getting majority of the work, but this is not foregone. I think it's a little overstated based on some of the trades I've seen. Just so I'm clear, I think Thompson is a dark horse here, but he is so forgotten he's basically free, more free than Darrel Williams. I think Darwin's definitely worth dropping KeSsean Johnson for, having pretty good upside, apparently unappriciated upside.. 

Edited by cloppbeast
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought into the hype in last year's rookie draft and was just getting comfortable with the idea of not protecting him.   For me this makes him a definite hold, albeit on a short early season leash.   I think CEH's share goes up some, but not as much as those that now have him as a mid/late 1st in redraft.   I fully expect a rotation of Darrel Williams, Thompson, and Washington to pick up most of Damien's workload early.   So I think the opportunity will be there for Darwin, just a matter of whether enough of the 2019 hype was real that he will actually be able to distinguish himself from that group to make a compelling case for a large share of Damien's workload.   If he doesn't, I will at least have a much easier drop to make.     

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cloppbeast said:

Your reasoning is a fallacy. 1)Teams need a bunch of running backs. KC wasn't going to go into 2020 with three of them. 2) Many players have needed a rookie year to develope.

If I've learned anything from Andy's time in KC, you never know what the hell he's going to do at RB. I admit the most likely outcome is CEH getting majority of the work, but this is not foregone. I think it's a little overstated based on some of the trades I've seen. Just so I'm clear, I think Thompson is a dark horse here, but he is so forgotten he's basically free, more free than Darrel Williams. I think Darwin's definitely worth dropping KeSsean Johnson for, having pretty good upside, apparently unappriciated upside.. 

I agree that rookies sometimes need a season to develop, but the RB position is more often plug and play. Kareem Hunt came right in and thrived, although granted he is a considerable talent. If Thompson was all that, I think he would have gotten more playing time when Damien got hurt last year. 

As for other RBs being brought in, I also agree that teams need depth. But after McCoy left, not only did they use a 1st round pick on CEH, they also went out and got Washington and Elijah McGuire along with returning Darrel Williams. Doesn’t sound like a lot of confidence in Darwin.

I may be way off, but IMO the path to the starting gig of CEH falters/gets hurt is muddled at best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, zamboni said:

I may be way off, but IMO the path to the starting gig of CEH falters/gets hurt is muddled at best.

I agree with this, and is more often the case in fantasy football than we appreciate. I would only add CEH doesn't have to falter or get injured for any of these guys to get playing time, ask Rashaad Penny.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2020 at 10:11 AM, sushinsky4tsar said:

Bought into the hype in last year's rookie draft and was just getting comfortable with the idea of not protecting him.   For me this makes him a definite hold, albeit on a short early season leash.   I think CEH's share goes up some, but not as much as those that now have him as a mid/late 1st in redraft.   I fully expect a rotation of Darrel Williams, Thompson, and Washington to pick up most of Damien's workload early.   So I think the opportunity will be there for Darwin, just a matter of whether enough of the 2019 hype was real that he will actually be able to distinguish himself from that group to make a compelling case for a large share of Damien's workload.   If he doesn't, I will at least have a much easier drop to make.     

The CEH hype is out of control.

My main league just drafted this weekend and this league has been going on since 1995. CEH went at the 1.10. I drafted Darwin at the 25.09 and then took Darrell and DeAndre at the 30.11 and 36.11 spots respectively.

Clearly CEH has been crowned by the fantasy community.

If you're the kinda guy who loves to draft value, there's somebody slipping to you at the end of the first or early second round who you didn't expect to be there thanks to the CEH effect.

I still like Darwin to be the eventual #2 because I think he has a complete game. But Washington has solid passing game chops and Darrell played well, too.

The big unknown is how much (if any) that Darwin has grown. Given how things are so jammed up right now with camps and practices, we probably won't know till the season starts. Which is why I grabbed all three to hedge my bets.

 

Edited by JamesTheScot
more thought...
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JamesTheScot said:

My main league just drafted this weekend and this league has been going on since 1995. CEH went at the 1.10.

This is ahead of Joe Mixon, Nick Chubb, Josh Jacobs, Miles Sanders, Derrick Henery, and maybe Dalvin Cook?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...