What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Darwin Thompson, Chiefs RB (3 Viewers)

but Thompson has looked the part so far
He's looked the part so far against second stringers in pre-season.  Let's not gloss over that.

Williams is no harder to beat out on the depth chart that Hyde was last year
Disagree completely here.  Hyde has been pretty terrible for the last year and a half, no matter where he's been.  Look no further than the fact that he's clearly on the roster bubble again in Kansas City right now.  You can argue that Dame's success last year was largely due to the system and offense, fine.  But he still performed, and that can't be dismissed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say this story sounds most like the 2014 Broncos RB's.  Ronnie ball had 4-5 good games to end the 2013 season after they decimated by injuries.  Ball gets drafted at the end of the first round in FF drafts in 2014.   He holds the starting job for all of 3 weeks before getting beat out by the second year Hillman and second year UDFA CJ Anderson.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Williams has a couple good weeks to start the season, but I don't think he holds the starting job past week 5 or 6.

Ugh, little different scenario there.  Nick Chubb was a highly touted prospect and second round pick in the NFL draft.  Had it not been for the horrific knee injury he suffered in college, we would have been debating Saquon vs Chubb for the 1.01.

Darwin has one Division 1 year of football under his belt, and was a 6th round pick.
And he is one strained hammy away (oh wait) from being the starter on the best offense in the NFL in a system that produces high rb1.  The hype is warranted IMO.

I would say that I view these similarly.  Chubb was obviously a better prospect out of college, but Thompson has looked the part so far and I think Williams is no harder to beat out on the depth chart that Hyde was last year.  Even better is Reid is more rational than the Browns coaching at the beginning of last season.  

I am willing to take a dart throw at Thompson in redraft in 10-11th rounds to see what he can become in 5-6 weeks.  
My gut says after this weekend or this latest news dump about him you may have to snag him in the 8th

That's starting to be a real draft pick.  Still some good starters at that spot.  Might not get him then.  Maybe I can trade for him week 3.
Who is going to trade him?  That makes no sense.   I am still hoping for the 10ish for him but with this latest round of news about him being second string then his adp is going to skyrocket.  I may do 8th but not before

Who is going to trade him?  That makes no sense.   I am still hoping for the 10ish for him but with this latest round of news about him being second string then his adp is going to skyrocket.  I may do 8th but not before
Good point.  Anyone who picks him is holding forever.

My big money leagues are mostly auctions. Easier to get in those as you can be more flexible.

Phew.  I have one more draft Friday, hopefully the hype will drive Damien down to about the 5th for me.  I would love that.  

Phew.  I have one more draft Friday, hopefully the hype will drive Damien down to about the 5th for me.  I would love that.  
I hear what you are saying and understand the overreaction all we are saying is that a starter in Andy Reids offense is worth reaching for.  I know you are joking but if you knew he was going to be the starter by week 3 a 5th is pretty good IMO. 

Yes he's exactly like nick chubb

Unrelated story, I remember when a Denver rb was compared to Barry Sanders. His name was Q. I can't remember his full name anymore.  Quentin something maybe? Does anyone remember? 
Speaking of Denver RB's there was some guy last year that played for them. Totally undrafted both in NFL and fantasy. Did okay as I recall.

Can't quite remember his name?

Ugh, little different scenario there.  Nick Chubb was a highly touted prospect and second round pick in the NFL draft.  Had it not been for the horrific knee injury he suffered in college, we would have been debating Saquon vs Chubb for the 1.01.

Darwin has one Division 1 year of football under his belt, and was a 6th round pick.
Yes. I realize there is a big difference but I think last year's Denver Pro Bowl RB proved draft pedigree can be overcome.

All I'm saying is what many others have alluded to...stacking your FF bench with high upside guys that flash (or not) in preseason and/or are one play away from landing in a prime situation is never a bad strategy.

I hear what you are saying and understand the overreaction all we are saying is that a starter in Andy Reids offense is worth reaching for.  I know you are joking but if you knew he was going to be the starter by week 3 a 5th is pretty good IMO. 
For sure, and I like Darwin.  We did our rookie draft back in May and I was fortunate enough to snag him at the 4.05.  But I personally think Damien is a better player than he gets credit for, and I expect him to maintain the lead back role this season barring an injury.  Some people are already anointing Darwin the starter, and I think that's very much jumping the gun.

But I personally think Damien is a better player than he gets credit for, and I expect him to maintain the lead back role this season barring an injury.  Some people are already anointing Darwin the starter, and I think that's very much jumping the gun.
I agree for the most part, but it might not take an injury if Williams does underperform.

Damien: Omen 25?

The hype is starting to influence me. Our rookie draft is August 31. If he continues to look good, I am seriously considering taking him at 1.4. RBs are always at a premium, and I need them bad (my WRs are good, and I don't like any of the rookies that much anyway). After Jacobs, Montgomery, and Sanders, who's the RB to take? Henderson? His ceiling will obviously be severely limited with Gurley there, and hasn't looked great. Harris? Liking him more, given Michel's injury history, but don't want to deal with Belichick's rotating backfields. Singletary? That was the way I was leaning before the Darwin train took off. Has a pretty good situation, and I've heard good things about him. 

The hype is starting to influence me. Our rookie draft is August 31. If he continues to look good, I am seriously considering taking him at 1.4. RBs are always at a premium, and I need them bad (my WRs are good, and I don't like any of the rookies that much anyway). After Jacobs, Montgomery, and Sanders, who's the RB to take? Henderson? His ceiling will obviously be severely limited with Gurley there, and hasn't looked great. Harris? Liking him more, given Michel's injury history, but don't want to deal with Belichick's rotating backfields. Singletary? That was the way I was leaning before the Darwin train took off. Has a pretty good situation, and I've heard good things about him. 
Yah, I was hoping he might fall to the late 20's a few weeks ago, not I'm not sure I get him late teens.

I get it.  I would have trouble trading him right now for anyone aside from Jacobs, Montgomery, or Sanders.  None of the WR in this class are all that exciting, and position scarcity combined with the immense upside potential make Darwin look like a decent pick to me anytime after 4.  I could see an argument for Singletary or Harris or any of 4-5 WR or Hock before him...but I can also see the argument for him before any of them.

My big $ 10-team keeper league rookie/FA draft is Saturday night.  RBs are gold as it’s ppc and 1.5ppr scoring for them.  Should he make it to my 1.10 then I’m going for gold with him; especially since the guy with Damien Williams holds the 2.01 right after my pick.  I’m gonna hopefully sell the pick for a 2020 1st, but barring any such deal I don’t see any other rookies or FAs that carry such perceived potential for immediate impact (at least in regards to our league scoring)

This thread has me questioning my weird dynasty draft from early May much earlier than normal.

2.07 Hakeem Butler

3.07 Darrell Henderson

4.09 Daniel Jones

4.10 Darwin Thompson

4.12 Terry McLaurin

No first round pick but heck I may have done better in round 4 than I did in the early rounds? It's still early but my round 4 dart throws that I didn't feel great about are making me feel much better than what I did in round 2.

some times there's a lot of hype sometimes you just have to go with it. not sure where DT falls but I'm leaning towards he's a legit player, good chance to be a starter.

DW rushed form more than 51 yards twice last season

he carried the ball more than 12 times just twice. 

he's an average RB who hasn't been a household name at the position. 

reminds me of priest holmes the one year everyone thought he was going to hold off LJ for the starting gig. that lasted for a cup of coffe and a bagel maybe. kind of get the same feeling here.

I know DT is lightweight.but aaron jones is just 205 ( 7lbs heavier) , and has 3 times screwed a knee ligament - 3 injuries. he looks like RG3 running out there.and yet,somehow, people think AJ is a top 10 RB, guaranteed 2nd rounder. I wouldn't touch him with a ten ft pole. not saying i'd take DT instead, just making the point sometimes we call one guy 'too small' and ignore others in similar bodies.

He is small, but he is very strong and athletic.  Maybe along the lines of an MJD?

https://www.hjnews.com/sports/usu/thompson-shines-at-usu-s-pro-day/article_8ea64e57-bbd2-5810-b0e0-2452477eb28f.html - Look how thick he is in the picture in this article.

"Its fair to say Darwin Thompson was extra motivated to showcase his skills in front of scouts after not receiving an invitation to the 2019 NFL Scouting Combine, and he proved it Wednesday.

The former Aggie running back shined at Utah State’s annual Pro Day, which was held at two locations — the ICON Sports Performance Center and the Stan Laub Indoor Training Center. A few months ago, Thompson elected to forego his final season of collegiate eligibility and declare for the 2019 NFL Draft.

“After a successful day today, I don’t feel like I dropped past the fourth (round of the draft),” Thompson said. “... I’ve never looked back since (making my decision). I mean, once I made that decision I knew I had to keep going. There was no going back. It was kind of like jumping off a cliff. You can’t climb back up after you’ve jumped.”

Thompson was one of 17 former Aggies who participated in various tests and drills in front of a large contingent of NFL scouts. Scouts from 28 NFL teams were in attendance.

Based on Wednesday’s results, Thompson stacked up very favorably against the running backs who were invited to the NFL combine. For starters, only one tailback at the combine recorded more reps at 225 pounds in the bench press than the second-team all-Mountain West selection’s 28. Only two other former Aggies finished with at least 20 reps Wednesday in defensive end Adewale Adeoye (22) and tailback Justen Hervey (20).

Additionally, Thompson showed off his explosive leaping ability by soaring 39 inches in the vertical jump and 10 feet, 6 inches in the broad jump. Those marks would have ranked the 5-foot-8, 198-pounder third and fifth, respectively, among running backs at the combine.

The native of Jenks, Oklahoma, also posted one of the better 40-yard-dash times as he completed the race in 4.50 seconds. All times and marks at Pro Day are unofficial.

“They’ve really liked me,” Thompson said when asked about the feedback he’s received from scouts. “They really like the way I run and I can do a lot of things. They feel like I’ve molded myself into that every down back. In the NFL right now, a lot of teams see me as a third down back, but I run much bigger than I actually am.”

Darwin Thompson was the #2 RB in this draft class according to my RB formula, behind Darrell Henderson. He had great yards after contact numbers (also here) (though against weak competition), good receiving production, good explosiveness based on his pro day jumps, and no fumbles on his 153 carries. The big negative was his limited track record, especially against tough competition. So playing well against NFL guys (even 2nd and 3rd stringers) is a really good sign for him.

I took him at 1.09 tonight.  Top 4 RB's and Harry off the board.  Gurley is my only legit RB, so I needed a big gamble at the position.

hoping he makes it to the end of the first for me this weekend, not sure anymore with the press he's been getting this week.

I’ll be moving him up my board a few rounds just to assure I land him. Don’t mind reaching when the payoff can be big.

I am reaching hard on Thompson.  Big money draft is sat and whatever his adp is then I am going up at least 2 rounds to get him.   Nobody in front of him of the depth chart scares me and I think he is the main guy in that offense 4 or 5 weeks in.   

He's going in the 9th / 10th in the IBL redraft leagues.  If you're going to reach you better plan on using an 8th.

He's going in the 9th / 10th in the IBL redraft leagues.  If you're going to reach you better plan on using an 8th.
8th is the Cam newton, royce freeman, Josh gordon, rashard penny, jordan howard area

I may be okay with that depending on how the draft has gone so far.  8th is still a big reach for this kid but man him in that offense could be tempting

8th is the Cam newton, royce freeman, Josh gordon, rashard penny, jordan howard area

I may be okay with that depending on how the draft has gone so far.  8th is still a big reach for this kid but man him in that offense could be tempting
He was sitting at 10.8 (had gone in the 9th and early 10th in the sister drafts).  I traded in to get him there since I have Williams and Hyde already.

He was sitting at 10.8 (had gone in the 9th and early 10th in the sister drafts).  I traded in to get him there since I have Williams and Hyde already.
you should be set then

I doubt I will get him in 10 tomorrow as its my big money league and the vast majority of owners are pretty savvy about stuff like this, makes for an interesting draft every year because it seems like there are always a handful of guys that are hyped like this and there are always some "wtf" crazy reaches.

The Kansas City Star's Brooke Pryor reports rookie Darwin Thompson has leaped Carlos Hyde on the depth chart and has been getting goal-line work with the first-team offense.

Pryor is the latest Chiefs beat writer to leave Hyde off her 53-man roster projection, keeping Thompson along with Damien and Darrel Williams. Thompson has been so good this preseason, and Hyde has been as bad as Thompson has been good. All Hyde has going for him is his veteran presence; he doesn't play special teams, either. Thompson is picking up big-time steam as a late-round fantasy pick. It's going to be tough to keep him off the field.

SOURCE: Kansas City Star

Aug 23, 2019, 9:45 AM ET

WOW.  

I thought taking  him at any point in the first was awfully aggressive.  My best hope was that Damien Williams did in fact falter.  If Thompson does in fact get the goal line work, in that offense, he has a lot of stand alone value right away. 

WOW.  

I thought taking  him at any point in the first was awfully aggressive.  My best hope was that Damien Williams did in fact falter.  If Thompson does in fact get the goal line work, in that offense, he has a lot of stand alone value right away. 
his rise in general (but even moreso this week) is insane

Any of you guys targeted Williams?  I'm hoping this meteoric rise causes some panic in the owner.  

Part of me thinks it's crazy to pay up big for Williams after spending my 1st on Thompson.  But if you get any degree of discount--locking down this RB position feels like it has to be tremendous.

I think the real value of acquiring Thompson is eventually selling him for a big profit (mainly applicable to those who got him cheap).

I'm not sure of his ADP right now, but the hype is getting enough to where 2020 1st-rounders are in play (maybe more).

What you've got to juggle is how much do you need Thompson's potential production because he's in an ideal situation as far as late-round rookies go. 

I think the real value of acquiring Thompson is eventually selling him for a big profit (mainly applicable to those who got him cheap).

I'm not sure of his ADP right now, but the hype is getting enough to where 2020 1st-rounders are in play (maybe more).

What you've got to juggle is how much do you need Thompson's potential production because he's in an ideal situation as far as late-round rookies go. 
according to ffc in the past 24 hours of drafting in .5ppr he is 10.01 which is about 2 rounds higher from 3 weeksish ago.   I think for us drafting tomorrow you are gambling waiting for the 9th and definitely getting him in the 8th but I doubt he lasts at all in the 10th.  Depending on how my draft is going I probably will bite the bullet and make the call in the 8th.  I want a piece of that offense.

edit- for reference Williams is going start of the 3rd round a full round later then 3 weeks ago.  So he is dropping significantly while Thompson obviously is shooting up.  Which tells me people are getting wise to the situation.

was offered a 2020 2nd......pass...….
Agreed. I'm not super-high on Thompson's long-term outlook, but I don't think you entertain anything less than a 2020 1st at this point.

Of course, his value could crash depending on playing time, how he looks, etc., but if I owned him, Thompson is the type of player I'd look to maximize as far as a return on my investment.

Just passed on a 2nd in 2020, and a 2nd in 2021.

Drafted him #24 overall in a dynasty rookie draft. Holding.

(Also, for the record, got Justice Hill 19th overall.)

Users who are viewing this thread