What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Darwin Thompson, Chiefs RB (1 Viewer)

If I get some thing that blows me away, I’m all for selling high. 

But his upside is Brian Westbrook in a better offense.  I’m not saying that’s where he hits, but I’m not in a hurry to let someone else take the lotto ticket unless I’m getting someone ridiculous.  

One of the guys on sirius xm said they had him ranked towards the end of round 7.  

If Damien Williams stubs his toe, this is going to get silly.

One of the guys on sirius xm said they had him ranked towards the end of round 7.  

If Damien Williams stubs his toe, this is going to get silly.
He is already hurt which started the frenzy, the there was the report hyde may be cut, then darwin jumped hyde in the depth chart to end with Darwin practicing gl drills.  Its a snowball.  At this rate he is going to go in the 6th this weekend

He is already hurt which started the frenzy, the there was the report hyde may be cut, then darwin jumped hyde in the depth chart to end with Darwin practicing gl drills.  Its a snowball.  At this rate he is going to go in the 6th this weekend
I'm in a slow draft right now. We're in the fourth and I'm afraid I'm going to see his name soon 😂

He was hurt. Hammy tweak.  He’s back at practice for over a week now.

we’re seeing a lot of Darwin Thompson because Andy Reid gives his starters “the starter treatment”, not because of DWill’s injury. 

That said, Reid did just say he’s likely going to use “a little bit of a RBBC, we’ve done that other places I’ve coached” so that that how you like. 

I look at how Reid has historically used RBs and it’s been less of a RBBC than the description implies. 

The Thompson hype is getting silly. I’m drafting redraft tomorrow and kinda hoping it drives DWill’s price down to where he’s a 4th or 5th round bargain. IMO he’s the back to own still. 

That all said, Hyde may not make the team. 

DWill is pouring ice water all over this topic. That 64 yard wheel route was 99% DWill. Tough catch on the run, evaded a couple defenders and *poof* he was gone.

Thompson will get some touches, but he’s not biting into DWill’s job just yet I don’t think. 

That was impressive. 

DWill is pouring ice water all over this topic. That 64 yard wheel route was 99% DWill. Tough catch on the run, evaded a couple defenders and *poof* he was gone.

Thompson will get some touches, but he’s not biting into DWill’s job just yet I don’t think. 

That was impressive. 
Also got dinged again tonight. Guy has been the walking wounded his whole career. People forget that. 

That was impressive. 
The idea isn't that DWill isn't good.  I don't buy into that narrative.  I think he is a good, but not elite, back.  The idea is that there is uncertainty around his ability to be a lead back for an entire season, given his tenure in the league and lack of track record.

He's also injury prone.  Already had a hammy.

The idea rather is that i) Thompson is a specimen of an athlete that fits very well into the Andy Reid RB role, ii) he has multiple "paths" to becoming the RB1 in the best offense in the NFL (share of carries, injury to a guy who has injury risk, or, highly unlikely, but just becoming the preferred back) and iii) he may have some flex appeal even w/o unseating DWill.  I don't think he unseats DWill w/o an injury.  I also think it is folly to think DWill will play all 16 games this year and there won't be an opening for D.T. at some point.

Given reports out of camp, it's one of the better arbitrage plays in fantasy this year... IMO...

Last edited by a moderator:

That was impressive. 
Yea, that complicated things for me a little. I was souring on him and wasn't really considering him in my keeper league. I was deciding between Carson, Freeman, and Aaron Jones. Now I have to throw him back into the conversation.

Yep. I watched it. 

Inadvertent kick tho. Important to note. Heh. 
Inadvertent or not, the reply was to him "getting dinged again tonight" which makes it sound like he is injury prone.

The question wasn't whether it was a dirty play or not. So not really important to note given the context. Heh

Inadvertent or not, the reply was to him "getting dinged again tonight" which makes it sound like he is injury prone.

The question wasn't whether it was a dirty play or not. So not really important to note given the context. Heh
This is also true  - just adding info.

heh

are we gonna keep saying “heh” after every reply? 🤔 

Just to give you an idea of value, I ended up giving Kupp, Darwin, Justice Hill for DJ, Richard, Andrews. 

Sitting on 1.7 in a rookie draft starting tomorrow. I don’t think any of my league mates from that league frequent this board. 

I was considering Thompson vs Campbell. That league doesn’t play dynasty like most ... they’re RB obsessed. Top-3 picks are very likely Jacobs, Sanders, Montgomery. 1.4 would love to have Sanders but needs 1.3 to take Harry to get him. Idk if Harry or Henderson goes 1.4 or 1.5 if Sanders is gone, but they’re the next two picks. 1.6 is a total wildcard. 

At 1.7, I was debating Parris Campbell vs. Darwin Thompson with an outside hope that Henderson fell, though it feels extremely unlikely. With Luck’s retirement, leaning Thompson feels like the right move. I won’t get him otherwise without another pick until late-2. 

Its crazy that he was a third rounder last week, but I genuinely think he is the right pick at 1.4 right now.  He has looked a lot better than Henderson, and instead of having one of the best RBs in football AND his handcuff ahead of him like Henderson does, he has a journeyman unproven RB ahead of him, and a coach that seems to love his skillset.  Both are in great offenses so thats a wash.  I took Darwin in the 3rd last week and would not trade him for anyone outside of the top 3 RBs right now.  Certainy not for DK Metcalf who went 1.4 in mine and was probably imo the right pick at that time.  Harry has looked bad, and has a 42 year old QB.  

Late 9th early 10th seems about right. If I get sniped I’ll move on to Singletary or Hill. I love his situation best, by far, and taps gurus have were beating the drum about for for weeks (pre-hype.)
Took Hill first and Thompson didn’t make it back to me. “Settled” for Singletary. Pretty much knew I couldn’t get all three. Still stoked at my RB5 & RB6, but Thompson is a serious talent.

for a dynasty team not in need of RB this year, is Thompson the pick over Williams? I've liked what I saw from Williams last year, but at 27 he feels more like a stop gap than the long term answer. 

Sitting on 1.7 in a rookie draft starting tomorrow. I don’t think any of my league mates from that league frequent this board. 

I was considering Thompson vs Campbell. That league doesn’t play dynasty like most ... they’re RB obsessed. Top-3 picks are very likely Jacobs, Sanders, Montgomery. 1.4 would love to have Sanders but needs 1.3 to take Harry to get him. Idk if Harry or Henderson goes 1.4 or 1.5 if Sanders is gone, but they’re the next two picks. 1.6 is a total wildcard. 

At 1.7, I was debating Parris Campbell vs. Darwin Thompson with an outside hope that Henderson fell, though it feels extremely unlikely. With Luck’s retirement, leaning Thompson feels like the right move. I won’t get him otherwise without another pick until late-2. 
Not criticizing, but what's the point of a rookie draft if it's not a dynasty league?  Are there other keepers?  How do you determine the draft order of each draft?  Are FA vets eligible for the rookie draft?

Not criticizing, but what's the point of a rookie draft if it's not a dynasty league?  Are there other keepers?  How do you determine the draft order of each draft?  Are FA vets eligible for the rookie draft?
I think you misunderstood my post. When I said they don’t play dynasty like most I meant they grossly undervalue WR as they all lack the patience to let one develop, and then when a guy shows any struggles, even a couple years into his career, he’s a pariah. 

As an example, I’m struggling to trade Mike Williams for almost anything, and he scored 10 TDs last year and is entering year three in the league after missing his whole rookie year. Best offer I’ve had for Williams is 1.5 and 3.5 for Williams and 3.11. I couldn’t give away Corey Davis. 

That’s all I meant. It’s a full dynasty league. We start QRRWWWTF plus K and DST. I’m still leaning Darwin with that pick. 

The idea isn't that DWill isn't good.  I don't buy into that narrative.  I think he is a good, but not elite, back.  The idea is that there is uncertainty around his ability to be a lead back for an entire season, given his tenure in the league and lack of track record.

He's also injury prone.  Already had a hammy.

The idea rather is that i) Thompson is a specimen of an athlete that fits very well into the Andy Reid RB role, ii) he has multiple "paths" to becoming the RB1 in the best offense in the NFL (share of carries, injury to a guy who has injury risk, or, highly unlikely, but just becoming the preferred back) and iii) he may have some flex appeal even w/o unseating DWill.  I don't think he unseats DWill w/o an injury.  I also think it is folly to think DWill will play all 16 games this year and there won't be an opening for D.T. at some point.

Given reports out of camp, it's one of the better arbitrage plays in fantasy this year... IMO...
SF defenders had a good luck at that hammy as he was speed boating to the end zone....he looked really fast....like really fast

He just went 1.7 in a dynasty draft, sandwiched between Damien Harris and Justice Hill with all WRs and TEs still on the board except Harry.

Stinkin Ref said:
SF defenders had a good luck at that hammy as he was speed boating to the end zone....he looked really fast....like really fast
Then he got hurt again and was pulled out of the game. This isn’t debate worthy. Williams has not been durable through his career, at all.

I'm more worried about the murderer's row of opposing run defenses KC faces this season than anything else.

jags. <raiders> ravens lions colts texans broncos <packers> vikings titans chargers <raiders>  ///// then  pats, broncos , bears, chargers last 4 games, i.e., fantasy playoffs. 

so out of the gate , 2 of the first 3 games are against pure defensive walls. lions are no slouch, neither are the colts. then another wall of sorts for 4 of the next 5 weeks, the 'easy' game being against the packers.

not even Jamaal charles would be successful against that schedule.

I don't think a JAG like DW is going to pull it off against these defenses. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread