Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Darwin Thompson, Chiefs RB


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Smack Tripper said:

Man I think everyone, including FBG, has soured way too much on him, the pendulum has swung too far into an overcorrection.

I remember Damien Williams getting dinged and McCoy is old, so I'd think more of a injury risk.   You want to talk about a second half league winner, this guy is worth a stash in my mind.  I believe in the talent and its the best situation in football.  

What are your expectations?    

Both Darwin and Singletary are really small running backs.  It's not as though injuries will suddenly turn them into workhorses.  I think Darwin has standalone value all season based on how creatively I think Reid will use him,  but I don't see any situation this season where he becomes a league winner.  I see Thompson as a rich-man's Tariq Cohen.  It'll be exciting when he gets his touches,  but he' won't be called into a feature role.  Will also be tough to know when those big point games will come too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a natural selection  

People seem to be getting a bit too excited right now.  From early accounts, looks like the injuries to both Shady and Williams are minor.  I’m a Thompson owner, too, but don’t expect him to be r

16 page thread for a 4th string running back. Sheesh. 

2 hours ago, Smack Tripper said:

Man I think everyone, including FBG, has soured way too much on him, the pendulum has swung too far into an overcorrection.

I remember Damien Williams getting dinged and McCoy is old, so I'd think more of a injury risk.   You want to talk about a second half league winner, this guy is worth a stash in my mind.  I believe in the talent and its the best situation in football.  

Agree with this 100%.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smack Tripper said:

Man I think everyone, including FBG, has soured way too much on him, the pendulum has swung too far into an overcorrection.

I remember Damien Williams getting dinged and McCoy is old, so I'd think more of a injury risk.   You want to talk about a second half league winner, this guy is worth a stash in my mind.  I believe in the talent and its the best situation in football.  

I’ve been saying it since the  mccoy signing.  I really don’t see how much has changed, other than the fact that he still one injury away from flex-worthy relevance. 

 And since one guy seems to get hurt a lot, and the other guy is 31 years old, I think he’s still a great lottery ticket draft and stash if you have a sizable enough roster. 

 The only difference is that with one injury, Thompson becomes part of a running back committee, whereas before, with one injury it was presumed he would become a feature back. 

But I’m not even sure how true that presumption was.  If Williams went down, I don’t see  A scenario where the Chiefs don’t bring another running back in. 

 So in that context, pretty much nothing has changed  from a lottery ticket standpoint other than having one other back there as part of the committee. 

 The only short term hit to his value manifested in the last couple weeks of the preseason, when Andy Reid hinted that Thompson would be more heavily involved. 

 But who knows how true that really was. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am holding for at least 2-3 weeks to see how Reid uses him.  Would be shocked if they don't hand him the rock 4-5 times and throw 4-5 passes his way.  Also, the goal line work, wasn't there a report that Darwin was getting some of that:

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/13/kansas-city-chiefs-rookie-rb-darwin-thompson-getting-goal-line-work-with-starters-training-camp/

If he is getting at around 10 touches (or more) a game in the KC offense, he will be an every week flex start IMO, with major blowup potential.

Edited by ahartig
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, One said:

What are your expectations?    

Both Darwin and Singletary are really small running backs.  It's not as though injuries will suddenly turn them into workhorses.  I think Darwin has standalone value all season based on how creatively I think Reid will use him,  but I don't see any situation this season where he becomes a league winner.  I see Thompson as a rich-man's Tariq Cohen.  It'll be exciting when he gets his touches,  but he' won't be called into a feature role.  Will also be tough to know when those big point games will come too.

Agree100 percent with this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ahartig said:

I am holding for at least 2-3 weeks to see how Reid uses him.  Would be shocked if they don't hand him the rock 4-5 times and throw 4-5 passes his way.  Also, the goal line work, wasn't there a report that Darwin was getting some of that:

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/13/kansas-city-chiefs-rookie-rb-darwin-thompson-getting-goal-line-work-with-starters-training-camp/

If he is getting at around 10 touches (or more) a game in the KC offense, he will be an every week flex start IMO, with major blowup potential.

I guess I assumed Mccoy has scored so many touchdowns for Reid that he would default into that role once he signed.  

I don't see a scenario in which they use Williams, Mccoy, and still find 10 touches for Darwin.  I'd love it if I'm wrong.  And if in his limited touches, he breaks some plays--they'll have to find ways to get him on the field.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ChuckLiddell said:

Waldman breaks down Darwin as a blocker.  Guy is little but so strong.  Squatted 515 lbs 7 times (video in link).  He is going to be on the field.

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2019/08/18/matt-waldmans-rsp-nfl-lens-rb-darwin-thompson-chiefs-pass-protection/

Also, this ^

Good info and insight from Waldman.  Darwin may be small but he is jacked

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ahartig said:

Also, this ^

Good info and insight from Waldman.  Darwin may be small but he is jacked

I knew Waldman loved him, but hadn't seen that clip.  How do you not want this guy on the field during 3rd down?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, One said:

What are your expectations?    

Both Darwin and Singletary are really small running backs.  It's not as though injuries will suddenly turn them into workhorses.  I think Darwin has standalone value all season based on how creatively I think Reid will use him,  but I don't see any situation this season where he becomes a league winner.  I see Thompson as a rich-man's Tariq Cohen.  It'll be exciting when he gets his touches,  but he' won't be called into a feature role.  Will also be tough to know when those big point games will come too.

I’d say he’s a poor man’s Cohen (if we’re basing it on last year).  Barring injury, you can’t even play him as a flex until we see way more.  

That said, I’m holding while I can.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Smack Tripper said:

Man I think everyone, including FBG, has soured way too much on him, the pendulum has swung too far into an overcorrection.

I remember Damien Williams getting dinged and McCoy is old, so I'd think more of a injury risk.   You want to talk about a second half league winner, this guy is worth a stash in my mind.  I believe in the talent and its the best situation in football.  

Todd Gurley would like to have a word with you.

Edited by Chaka
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gopher State said:

You have to have deep benches to hold him, maybe next year, but no value this year

Short bench here....but holding....screw it.  Like what I saw and a 4 man keeper.  So will risk it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Futz said:

I'm absolutely with you. The cream will rise to the top. Hold as long as your situation will allow you to.

How exactly is he the cream over a guy who had a good season last year in Williams and an experienced vet familiar with the system in McCoy? He’s a very clear #3

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What has changed is that I was able to get him in the 14th round instead of the 8th round. We have deep benches so I view him as a free roll. I would advise holding on to him if you can. It's a long season and injuries will happen. I have no doubt he will be fantasy relevant at some point. This will require patience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Capella said:

How exactly is he the cream over a guy who had a good season last year in Williams and an experienced vet familiar with the system in McCoy? He’s a very clear #3

Williams had a good 50 carries and there's concern he may not be feature back material. Meanwhile Lesean was showing very little left in the tank and is always an injury concern. You are right, he is #3 for now until he isn't. The writing is on the wall for me though so I will try to wait it out. This isn't Miami's offense so the #3 here with these circumstances holds quite a bit of value to me.

Edited by Futz
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Futz said:

Williams had a good 50 carries and there's concern he may not be feature back material. Meanwhile Lesean was showing very little left in the tank and is always an injury concern. You are right, he is #3 for now until he isn't. The writing is on the wall for me though so I will try to wait it out. This isn't Miami's offense so the #3 here with these circumstances holds quite a bit of value to me.

I get that but he was also a 6th round pick. I don’t think there is much about him that separates him from the other two at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2019 at 7:25 AM, CKoz24 said:

I appreciate this comment as it helps give me a better perspective rather than attacking my character and calling me disingenuous. 

Not putting as much into where he was drafted as Waldman and others have been super crazy about this kid, but we can argue that piece many ways.

you must be new here.....

  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Stinkin Ref said:

you must be new here.....

Unfortunately not, just not a fan of “you’re wrong” posts without a viable explanation and I’ll call people out on it.

The community here as a whole is very supportive and has helped me immensely. We had a good chat and I learned.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I drafted him at 1.09 before singletary right before the mccoy signing. This was in my 18yr dynasty league and i usually shoot for upside especially that low in the 1st. Now i did this after reading and watching tape on him like i usually try to do before selections.

Non of this makes me feel any better with mccoy there this year, they are not paying him 4m to sit... on the other hand i know what i saw and read from team management there and this kid looks special in that offense.

Do i think mccoy will take carries away... absolutely, even with DWill thats gonna happen. But i do believe injuries happen, vets get older and slower and somehow or some way this kids gonna get a chance on this team this year or next. Hes a very good high upside play it out wait and see pick. 

In dynasty id be trying to buy low with the mccoy bews honestly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hendo said:

I drafted him at 1.09 before singletary right before the mccoy signing. This was in my 18yr dynasty league and i usually shoot for upside especially that low in the 1st. Now i did this after reading and watching tape on him like i usually try to do before selections.

Non of this makes me feel any better with mccoy there this year, they are not paying him 4m to sit... on the other hand i know what i saw and read from team management there and this kid looks special in that offense.

Do i think mccoy will take carries away... absolutely, even with DWill thats gonna happen. But i do believe injuries happen, vets get older and slower and somehow or some way this kids gonna get a chance on this team this year or next. Hes a very good high upside play it out wait and see pick. 

In dynasty id be trying to buy low with the mccoy bews honestly.

After watching Hard Knocks and hearing Gruden praising and saying how much he loved rookie WR Doss, and then cut him, I’m not paying too attention on what the teams say about a player. I like Thompson  I’ll hold him, but say Justin Jackson is available, I’ll try and pick him up and drop Thompson if need be. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ahartig said:

Yuk... not good.  Anyone holding?  one touch/target all game.  Looks like its gonna be the mccoy/williams show.

I'm dumping for Gio cuz I own Mixon.....I'd like to hold, and if I had a deeper bench I would.  I think he'll get his shot at some point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna have to drop him because of short benches. I'm dropping him over Hill and Singletary, for what it's worth.

The talent is there, but McCoy being so involved makes me think that this won't be Thompson's year. One of the two guys ahead of him will have to get hurt for him to be fantasy relevant this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ahartig said:

Yuk... not good.  Anyone holding?  one touch/target all game.  Looks like its gonna be the mccoy/williams show.

Dynasty hold.  McCoy is 60, and Williams is the definition of JAG, despite what any of his overly-optimistic dynasty owners wish/believe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ahartig said:

Yuk... not good.  Anyone holding?  one touch/target all game.  Looks like its gonna be the mccoy/williams show.

oh my yes.  again....it's KC

Link to post
Share on other sites

Handcuff for Williams/McCoy owners and nothing more for redraft 2019. He's not going to unseat those guys unless injury strikes. They and this offense are far too effective for him to do so. That said, all it takes is for either DWill or McCoy to go down and Thompson becomes instantly startable as a flex or perhaps even an RB2. And when you're talking two guys, rather than one in an either/or proposition, the injury odds and payoffs are perhaps worth continued redraft rostering. I don't think I'd do it, but I could see holding onto the lotto ticket until injuries/byes elsewhere on a roster or a hot waiver pickup forces the hand.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Through two games, Chiefs aren’t running the ball very well - particularly Williams. Not exactly a hallmark of an Andy Reid team.

Not saying Thompson will get much work with McCoy and Williams healthy, and the team winning handily, but still a situation to watch IMO.

Edited by zamboni
Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that was encouraging about Williams’ injury is that he was spotted on the sideline with his helmet. It wasn’t something where he needed to head to the locker room early. That would indicate that the Chiefs are merely being cautious with an important player on the offense. It’s possible that Williams comes out of this with just a knee contusion.

Needless to say, we’ll be paying close attention to the status of Williams this week as the Chiefs head back to Arrowhead Stadium for their home opener against the Baltimore Ravens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 1:50 PM, LawFitz said:

Handcuff for Williams/McCoy owners and nothing more for redraft 2019. He's not going to unseat those guys unless injury strikes. They and this offense are far too effective for him to do so. That said, all it takes is for either DWill or McCoy to go down and Thompson becomes instantly startable as a flex or perhaps even an RB2. And when you're talking two guys, rather than one in an either/or proposition, the injury odds and payoffs are perhaps worth continued redraft rostering. I don't think I'd do it, but I could see holding onto the lotto ticket until injuries/byes elsewhere on a roster or a hot waiver pickup forces the hand.

McCoy and Williams have not been good.  Either could be replaced soon.  Andy Reid might have even known that he would likely replace McCoy or Williams but he was going to give them first shot to see what he had in them before putting in the superior talent:  Darwin Thompson.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

Can Thompson pass block? Because if not then I don't care how Williams or McCoy run the ball, their #1 priority is protecting the goods.

The Chiefers would be smart to sign a running back that kicks major butt at pass blocking.  He could be lacking in every other facet.  He'd hopefully excel at special teams, too.

 

Edited by Don Hutson
Link to post
Share on other sites

So....shady reportedly had an ankle injury. DWill exited in the 4th with a knee injury. 

Doing some quick math here...carry the 1, = I sure hope y’all held onto your DThompson shares because this one seems to be trending in the right direction. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChuckLiddell said:

Waldman did a whole write up on DT and his pass blocking prowess was highlighted.  I think its in the string somewhere linked - possibly by me.  I think pass blocking is a strength.

There were 2 or 3 videos he included showing Thompson absolutely  annihilating defenders twice his size. It was very impressive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...